PDA

View Full Version : Best Mate RIP

joeSoap
01/11/2005, 2:09 PM
A horse I made a lot of money out of died today on his re-appearance race at Exeter. Best Mate pulled up before the last fence, and subsequently died of a heart attack.

He won three gold cups in recent years, and several other big chases and was one of the all time great chasers.

RIP.:( :(

finlma
01/11/2005, 2:16 PM
That's a terrible shame - he was a great horse. I won a few quid on him over the years too.

Dawn_Run
01/11/2005, 3:03 PM
Shocked at the news. He will be missed at Cheltenham next year like this year.

Some quotes from Henrietta Knight (trainer):

"I have ridden a horse before who suffered a heart attack while I was on board and I have to say this looks reminiscent of that.
"The legs go, they wobble and then they go down.

"I was actually on the track where he came down and I was the first one there. I knew immediately he had died.

"As I saw him go down I knew I was seeing a dead horse and I just wanted it to be over as quickly as possible."

Rest in peace - Tell Dawn Run i said hello !

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2005, 3:29 PM
Very sad news. A legend of a horse.

TheJamaicanP.M.
01/11/2005, 3:42 PM
George Best is on his way out too I hear.

sligoman
01/11/2005, 3:59 PM
George Best is on his way out too I hear.That's what I thought this thread was about. Thought someone posted it in other sports by mistake:o

the 12 th man
01/11/2005, 4:14 PM
Very difficult to guage how good he was as the Owner/Trainer raced him very sparingly over the years.
Triple Gold Cup winner he was but never really mixed it with handicappers (giving away a lot of weight) unlike Arkle so the comparison was hard to make although the English racing fraternity always did.

hamish
02/11/2005, 2:28 AM
Just seen a joke from The Guardian's Five website. A suggested headline for a newspaper:

BEST MATE SOON TO BE PEDIGREE CHUM.

Hee hee Sorry if that's a bit insensitive for any horse lovers.

Rory O'Grady (for Sir Hamish, I'll be in China, blame him LOL)

The Stars
03/11/2005, 4:13 PM
I had money on him in that race......I must be bad luck

the 12 th man
03/11/2005, 4:47 PM
......I must be bad luck

Or sentimental as he had very little chance of winning it.
First run for ages,top weight,wrong ground,much younger opposition.Although I might have been tempted a few euro e.w if I was watching the race.

Btw what price was he?

The Stars
03/11/2005, 10:07 PM
13s i think.