PDA

View Full Version : Should Lee Trundle be in the next Ireland squad?

Pages : [1] 2

gustavo
31/10/2005, 1:33 PM
simple Yes or No.

sligoman
31/10/2005, 1:41 PM
Yes!:)

De Town
31/10/2005, 2:26 PM
yes, 14 goals in 14 games is impressive, no matter what level. what harm will it do to give him a try?

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/10/2005, 3:59 PM
Course he should. If Doherty, Lee and Macken can make the squad, then surely Trundle can too. One of his goals on Saturday was pure class. I couldn't imagine many Irish players scoring it, regardless of the level.

shakermaker1982
31/10/2005, 4:29 PM
He's better than Doherty so why not

Superhoops
31/10/2005, 5:19 PM
He's better than Doherty so why not
That fact on its own is not convincing. If he wants to play for us then Yes.

livehead1
31/10/2005, 7:13 PM
those who voted no...how about some reasoning behind the decision...

gustavo
31/10/2005, 7:15 PM
playing devils advocate here but i presume its cos he isnt playing at a good enough level to be considered for international football

thejollyrodger
31/10/2005, 9:15 PM
YES!! anyone who is scoring goals in the English PL or Coke C should be at least in the squad and should get a few cracks at playing too.

FarBeag
31/10/2005, 9:45 PM
Yes..Of course he should why not.If he knows how to find the back of the net thats good enough for me.

Qwerty
31/10/2005, 11:20 PM
NO!!!

No firstly because of his age - he will be 30 when the next campaign begins and is unlikely at 34 to be an option for the next World Cup which must be the goal of the next manager.

As most players say it takes 10 to 15 international games to really feel comfortable this seems like too much time to invest in a 'veteran'.

Secondly he has never played in the top two tiers in England and we have no history of players guys from the lower leagues in senior games. If Connolly played in League 1 he would be scoring as many as Trundle if not more.

We have Keane, Elliott, Morrison and Doyle that we can work with and I'm sure over the next couple of years we will have other youngsters like Stokes coming thorugh plus hopefully the FAI unearthing some Plastic Paddies with a better age profile.

And lastly the most serious reason, he prefers his left peg.

livehead1
01/11/2005, 8:55 AM
NO!!!

No firstly because of his age - he will be 30 when the next campaign begins and is unlikely at 34 to be an option for the next World Cup which must be the goal of the next manager.

As most players say it takes 10 to 15 international games to really feel comfortable this seems like too much time to invest in a 'veteran'.

Secondly he has never played in the top two tiers in England and we have no history of players guys from the lower leagues in senior games. If Connolly played in League 1 he would be scoring as many as Trundle if not more.

We have Keane, Elliott, Morrison and Doyle that we can work with and I'm sure over the next couple of years we will have other youngsters like Stokes coming thorugh plus hopefully the FAI unearthing some Plastic Paddies with a better age profile.

And lastly the most serious reason, he prefers his left peg.

if u reckon connolly is a better option than trundle then u have never seen lee trundle play football. the man has such a quick footballing brain that it wouldnt matter what level he was playing at, his ability would mark him out. he has stepped up to this level effortlessly and will certainly do that again...and with regards to age...remember aldrige?

Plastic Paddy
01/11/2005, 9:06 AM
hopefully the FAI unearthing some Plastic Paddies with a better age profile.

I'm slim and trim at 34. Will I do? :D

if u reckon connolly is a better option than trundle then u...

It's "you". Y. O. U. Stay behind for extra spelling lessons...

:ball: PP

Tired&Emotional
01/11/2005, 9:08 AM
Yes. Top scorer across all Eng. leagues, great to watch with the ball at his feet and more competition in intl squad, might buck up the others at the same time..

livehead1
01/11/2005, 9:27 AM
I'm slim and trim at 34. Will I do? :D

It's "you". Y. O. U. Stay behind for extra spelling lessons...

well you obviously knew what i intended so it doesn't really matter does it, think of better things to comment on...

Dublin12
01/11/2005, 9:32 AM
Jonathan Douglas should be in the next squad,not a striker but showing good form this season in the midfield :-),good box to box player.

Plastic Paddy
01/11/2005, 9:57 AM
well you obviously knew what i intended so it doesn't really matter does it

It does to me and to all those who wish for some maintenance of standards in written and spoken English.

think of better things to comment on...

Like what? Do enlighten us, o wise one...

CraftyToePoke
01/11/2005, 10:23 AM

i think he would offer something we dont currently have,certainly more than certain others currently knocking about, and i dont think the level he is at should count too heavily against him as ive seen him play a few times and i think he would step up to coca-cola league level and score regularly fairly comfortably...but,he is pushing 30. and i believe its vital Irish football now builds for the next w.c. campaign and he is by then only likely to be in the way of young talent pushing through.

had he applied himself and shed the extra tonnage a couple of seasons back and earned a move to a better standard i would have welcomed him but he didnt,he was an overweight lower league player in a comfort zone,and because of this i think missed his oppertunity with us.

ifk101
01/11/2005, 10:35 AM
No. I think Elliot needs to get a fair run-out in the team now and Doyle should be blooded. Keane and Morrison would still be my preferred strike partnership so I cant see how we can bring an-aging Trundle into the side. If he was a central midfielder or a left-full.....

livehead1
01/11/2005, 11:12 AM
It does to me and to all those who wish for some maintenance of standards in written and spoken English.

Like what? Do enlighten us, o wise one...

well in this thread you have only made daft comments so maybe you could read the thread title and make a comment relating to that. i feel that may be more beneficial than focusing on how you would like your english language to be spoken

gustavo
01/11/2005, 12:08 PM
I'm sure if David Connolly was playing in the third and fourth tier of English football he would have a similar scoring record to Trundle.

holidaysong
01/11/2005, 12:33 PM
Yes and it would be about time too!

as_i_say
01/11/2005, 12:39 PM
connolly is great. that is all.

Plastic Paddy
01/11/2005, 3:00 PM
well in this thread you have only made daft comments so maybe you could read the thread title and make a comment relating to that. i feel that may be more beneficial than focusing on how you would like your english language to be spoken

I consider myself well and truly bitch-slapped. :rolleyes:

Lighten up ferfuxsake.

(And yes, I'd love to see Lee Trundle in the squad)

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2005, 3:07 PM
Voted no simply because I think his time has passed. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a better option than the Doc etc but at almost 30, there's no point in "trying" him out now. We should basically be concentrating on youth and rebuilding the side in any upcoming friendlies IMO.

Adrianovic
01/11/2005, 6:27 PM
It's a shame really that Trundle wasn't given an opening before, as he is a talent and has regularly spoken of his desire to play for us.

However, we really do need to build for the future and will have to overlook him in favour of younger players who will be around for the next 4 years or so.

Ade

Qwerty
01/11/2005, 7:08 PM
if u reckon connolly is a better option than trundle then u have never seen lee trundle play football. the man has such a quick footballing brain that it wouldnt matter what level he was playing at, his ability would mark him out. he has stepped up to this level effortlessly and will certainly do that again...and with regards to age...remember aldrige?

Maybe you should be a talent scout as Trundle has been able to evade all the other scounts until the ripe old age of 29, you obviously have a keen eye. :D

Seriously I respect your opinion but we obviously don't agree. To be above board I have not seen Trundle play except some highlights.

livehead1
01/11/2005, 7:43 PM
Maybe you should be a talent scout as Trundle has been able to evade all the other scounts until the ripe old age of 29, you obviously have a keen eye. :D

Seriously I respect your opinion but we obviously don't agree. To be above board I have not seen Trundle play except some highlights.

that is true but then again aldridge evaded these talent scouts as well? basically im just trying to make the poin that there are exceptions and there is no written rule that says a player cannot come of age and turn into a top footballer in their late 20's

FarBeag
01/11/2005, 9:18 PM
I can't see what age has got to do with it. If Liam Brady could still score goals for Ireland i would still have him in the squad. We are not exactly blessed with goal scorers so why not. If he is good enough to play for us he will score goals and if that means getting us to Euro 2008 so be it.

gustavo
02/11/2005, 8:01 AM
you cant say that trundle is any better than connolly livehead1 ,i know you are his number one cheerleader but wait till they have both played at the same level before you judge.

livehead1
02/11/2005, 10:55 AM
you cant say that trundle is any better than connolly livehead1 ,i know you are his number one cheerleader but wait till they have both played at the same level before you judge.

....in pretty much the same way that you can't prophesise about connolly potential goalscoring abilities at a specific level :rolleyes:

I'm sure if David Connolly was playing in the third and fourth tier of English football he would have a similar scoring record to Trundle.

sfc red
02/11/2005, 11:05 AM
NO! Byrne, O'Flynn, Farren, Zayed etc deserve it

gustavo
02/11/2005, 12:18 PM
....in pretty much the same way that you can't prophesise about connolly potential goalscoring abilities at a specific level :rolleyes:

fair point i suppose. i probably would have trundle in the squad if only to settle this debate one way or the other

Dyl10
02/11/2005, 12:34 PM
NO WAY!

No more chasing up players to get them to declare for us. If it were up to me i would have all those decleration players(morrison, holland etc.) out. We will never develop our own league and systems if the fai keep over looking the homebased players to call up low league english players in engalnd

eirebhoy
02/11/2005, 12:41 PM
NO WAY!

No more chasing up players to get them to declare for us.
Do a search. He declared for us long ago, before was ever a professional footballer.

livehead1
02/11/2005, 12:59 PM
Do a search. He declared for us long ago, before was ever a professional footballer.

well said and i wish people would realise that this fella actually considers himself irish, i read him saying when he was growing up he used to wear an ireland shirt and imagine himself as an irish footballing great, indeed if there is such a thing

livehead1
02/11/2005, 1:00 PM
NO! Byrne, O'Flynn, Farren, Zayed etc deserve it

why? because they were born in ireland? or because they haven't been able to get a move to an english club? i may be imagining things but did Zayed not flop at crewe? and there aren't many better judges of young footballing talent that dario gradi

livehead1
02/11/2005, 1:11 PM
Heres a few quotes from the national website of wales:
ROY McFARLAND believes Swansea City could be celebrating promotion in May - as long as they resist selling Lee Trundle when the transfer window reopens in January.

According to the Chesterfield boss, Swansea's hopes of escaping from League One rest heavily on the flamboyant striker, who not only bagged a hat-trick against the Spireites but set up Adebayo Akinfenwa for the opening goal of the afternoon with a wonderful pass.
His first goal revealed the instinct of a six-yard box predator, while his next two strikes were brilliantly executed.

This is the beauty of Trundle. Not only is he a great goalscorer, he also scores great goals.

After creating Akinfenwa's sixth-minute opener, he doubled the lead on 12 minutes, stooping to head home from close range after Owain Tudur Jones' header came his way.

Seven minutes after Steve Blatherwick reduced the deficit, Trundle restored the two-goal advantage with a blistering left-foot strike before Tudur Jones claimed Swansea's fourth on the stroke of half-time.

With 18 minutes left, Trundle completed his hat-trick with the game's best goal. He teased Blatherwick until the defender fell to the floor before drilling a low shot past Barry Roche.

It was vintage Trundle and the Liberty Stadium faithful - not to mention the player himself - lapped it up.

"He (Trundle) took his chances very well. He finished them with a bit of class," added McFarland.

"He's a handful, a real threat. He was a thorn in our side all afternoon. His runs, control and finishing were excellent. We found him hard to handle.
Maybe that Republic of Ireland call-up he dreams of is not too far away.

"Lee is 29. He was a late starter in the game, but he has kept improving and he's still looking to improve," added Jackett.

Stuttgart88
02/11/2005, 1:14 PM
Did anyone see Trundle's "goal" against Blackpool(??) recently? It was on Sky's round up of the lower leagues last month.

Basically there was a 1-on-1 and from outside the box the striker rolled the ball past the keeper who was about 15 yards from his line. Trundle was "inactive" hanging around the 6 yard line, miles offside.

The ball was dribbling in just inside the post but a defender was running back and looked certian to hook the ball off the line, just in time. But as the defender was just about to make contact Trundle followed it in and stuck a toe to the ball, putting it over the line. If the ref had seen it it would never have counted. Very devious but very clever :)

Stuttgart88
02/11/2005, 1:17 PM
"Lee is 29. He was a late starter in the game, but he has kept improving and he's still looking to improve," added Jackett.
Shades of John Aldridge who used to get 20 or 30 goals a season for Oxford for years before anyone took any notice of him. Didn't Aldo make his debut for us while still at Oxford?

Dyl10
02/11/2005, 1:17 PM
well said and i wish people would realise that this fella actually considers himself irish, i read him saying when he was growing up he used to wear an ireland shirt and imagine himself as an irish footballing great, indeed if there is such a thing

I dont care when he declared if he was good enough to play for england would he?:confused:

garykelly
02/11/2005, 1:34 PM

well i voted no becuase i personally dont think he is good enough. The logic shouldnt be that if the likes of connolly, mahon, doherty or whoever got playing that trundle should be included. none of these players are good enough and if they were we wouldnt be preparing to watch another major tournament from afar. The international game here can no longer rely on another country to develop our players and it was always a matter of time before our luck with each generation having some wonderful players ran out .
Unless the FAI change tact we're going to end up like other small nations who struggle for players and end up picking players from the nether regions of the english league. if we're discussing the inclusion of the likes of trundle then we're in trouble. Jason Byrne has scored 21 league goals in the Prem Division but unfortunately our country doesnt have the hype or the media coverage to push his case forward unlike in the UK. But then again if byrne had scored 1/2/3/4 goals in europe our bandwagon press would be calling for his inclusion.

Stuttgart88
02/11/2005, 1:43 PM
I dont care when he declared if he was good enough to play for england would he?:confused:
Probably not by the sound of things. Gary Breen wouldn't, Kilbane wouldn't. I'm prepared to accept this guy's bona fides.

I'd actually be happy to approach Liam Lawrence & Neil Kilkenny again if they're eligible.

tiktok
02/11/2005, 1:46 PM
I voted no.

Most people seem to be willing to give him a chance based on comparing him to Macken or Doherty. Well those two aren't good enough for the Irish squad either IMO.

If I get knocked down for using that Criteria for pushing EL forwards, I don't see why it can apply to Trundle. He's either playing at a high enough standard or he's not.

At the moment, he's not! that's all there is to it.

tetsujin1979
02/11/2005, 2:56 PM
Shades of John Aldridge who used to get 20 or 30 goals a season for Oxford for years before anyone took any notice of him. Didn't Aldo make his debut for us while still at Oxford?
I'm almost certain he did, didn't Jack Charlton go to watch him and spotted Houghton on the wing or was it the other way around - went to watch Houghton and spotted Aldo??

zinedineontour
02/11/2005, 7:37 PM
got to be in the next squad for me .. how many irish strikers are scoring frequently in england at the mo ?? quality player and from the games ive seen should be playing at a much higher level but is loyal to swansea.. why the **** not ??? if macken and doherty can get in why not trundle ..

livehead1
04/11/2005, 1:22 PM
so is that the conclusion then...that nearly 62% of the people on this forum who are knowledgable about lee trundle, want him in the next ireland squad. i think thats quite a convincing argument

tiktok
04/11/2005, 1:34 PM
so is that the conclusion then...that nearly 62% of the people on this forum who are knowledgable about lee trundle, want him in the next ireland squad. i think thats quite a convincing argument

Like the knowledgable person who voted yes because....
"anyone who is scoring goals in the English PL or Coke C should be at least in the squad and should get a few cracks at playing too".
Trundle plays in neither the English PL or the Coke Championship.

You have the majority on your side as it is, but the question asked wasn't "Do you want Lee Trundle in the next Irish Squad?" so you can't claim 62% want him in the squad, you can only state that 62% are willing to give him his shot.

It's kind of funny really.
A fairly poor stating the obvious' summary tbh!:D :D

eirebhoy
04/11/2005, 2:08 PM
I wouldn't be one to say you have to be playing at a high level to get into the squad and what I've seen of Trundle he definitely has the ability to be 3rd/4th choice striker for us which is all thats needed really.

BobbySands
05/11/2005, 1:43 AM
Include Trundle by all means. We'll only be playing friendlies and part of the argument for getting rid of Kerr was friendlies don't matter a fig.