PDA

View Full Version : lee trundle opinions

livehead1
30/10/2005, 12:11 PM
14 goals in 14 games so far this season, a big strong striker with good skill and pace. has anyones opinion changed on him been an international player for ireland?

sligoman
30/10/2005, 12:40 PM
As I said here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=378427&postcount=5), I think he should be in the squad to be honest;)

dr_peepee
30/10/2005, 6:04 PM
Needs to step up a division at least if he's to be an asset but is no worse than Lee or Doherty up front so would be worth a look.

Would be interesting to see how he'd improve as a player if he complimented his abillity with the regime of a premier league club of one of the classier Championship clubs. The word on the net is that he'll only move to a premiership club as he reckons he'll be in the championship anyway with Swansea next year.

I haven't seen much of him appart from the links posted here but I've read numerous interviews and his commitment to international football with Ireland is commendable considering he'd have more oppertunities with the North.

pineapple stu
30/10/2005, 6:17 PM
I think he's a more viable option than last year - at least he's showing that he can do it at a higher level than the Third Division. I'd like to see him scoring regularly in the First - might get a chance next year the way Swansea are going - before considering him as a squad regular.

So that's not really a change of opinion from me, I suppose.

junkie
30/10/2005, 6:59 PM
There's absolutely no doubt that Trundle is a fabulous player and proven goalscorer at his level but he needs to be playing at least Championship level.

On the other side of the coin if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland then he certainly can so I'd be in favour of him been given an opportunity.

livehead1
30/10/2005, 9:12 PM
any chance of a mod setting up a poll on this one as i feel its quite an important topic whether he should be in the international squad. its very similar to the doyle situation at cork/reading if u look at some of the facts.....people are claiming he needs to be playing at a higher level..are these the same people who said that doyle needed to move to reading to get a chance at international level. also, there is no doubt that he is better than many of the players in our team at the moment and is obviously full of confidence , a dead cert for the friendlies i feel, if the new manager is aware that he is even eligible for ireland

Qwerty
30/10/2005, 9:34 PM
Yes please set up a poll so we can dispense with this chap for once and for all. I'd prefer to see some EL lads get a chance before this guy any day o'the week.

pineapple stu
30/10/2005, 10:49 PM
Incidentally, how old is he now? 27, I think?

sligoman
30/10/2005, 10:55 PM
Incidentally, how old is he now? 27, I think?I dont know but your 26, happy b'day;) :p

jimbob117
30/10/2005, 11:50 PM
Livehead, I think he should be given a chance in a couple of friendlies. We're not exactly flushed with strikers, and he cant do any worse than macken or "the doc". We've got nothing to loose by giving him a chance,and if he's not good enough then so be it.I don't understand why "QWERTY" is against it.

Qwerty
31/10/2005, 2:34 AM
Other than the fact that he is 30 or thereabouts and has never played in the top two divisions in England and he isn't Irish - I do remember somebody saying he has a strong Irish background and if so I wouldn't object on that point.

But as we are now in somewhat of a rebuilding phase again we should focus on developing on our younger talent like Elliott & Doyle and not throwing caps at thirtysomething who won't be realistic contenders for the next World Cup anyhow.

robbie_B
31/10/2005, 4:49 AM
Other than the fact that he is 30 or thereabouts and has never played in the top two divisions in England and he isn't Irish - I do remember somebody saying he has a strong Irish background and if so I wouldn't object on that point.

But as we are now in somewhat of a rebuilding phase again we should focus on developing on our younger talent like Elliott & Doyle and not throwing caps at thirtysomething who won't be realistic contenders for the next World Cup anyhow.

See link - qualifies through grandparents also states that he can see himslef playing for many more years.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article323191.ece

CraftyToePoke
31/10/2005, 12:11 PM
id say even at the level he currently earns his living,he would probably offer just as much to us as Docherty,Macken or Lee but the man is pushing 30 and at a time when the focus,rightly, is likely to be on youth id say we may not see him in green. A lower league legend; for sure An international footballer? id have my doubts.

eirebhoy
31/10/2005, 1:35 PM
John Aldridge (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/aldridge/). Anyway, I really believe Trundle is Irish and is regularly in Inchicore to visit his family.

gustavo
31/10/2005, 1:43 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=30852

as_i_say
31/10/2005, 1:54 PM
well aldridge made hi sdebut for us at 29 i believe. dont think thats too important-hes a terrific player and its very strange that he's not at least at championship level. might be worth a look

eirebhoy
31/10/2005, 2:27 PM
well aldridge made hi sdebut for us at 29 i believe.
And didn't score his first internatioal goal until he was 30.

http://www.fai.ie/history.asp?hlid=221622

Saint Tom
31/10/2005, 3:29 PM
trundle is scoring goals at an EL level... he is too old, too unproven and not international class

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/10/2005, 4:07 PM
trundle is scoring goals at an EL level... he is too old, too unproven and not international class

Kevin Doyle was playing at EL level a few months ago and now he's considered good enough for the senior squad. BTW, League 1 is a higher standard than the EL. Swansea play in front of 14,000 for most league games. I don't know of any EL clubs getting attendances like that. I can't think of too many EL players that would turn down the opportunity to play in League 1. If Jason Byrne or John O'Flynn banged in 14 goals in their first 14 league games there would be serious calls from EL heads like yourself to have them included in the international set-up.

I don't see any problem in Trundle being 29. As pointed out, Aldridge was a similar age. Its often the players that develop later that appreciate things most and give full commitment. I've heard people on this forum talking about the excellent form of Graham Kavanagh, who's a few years older and how he could be an important player for us in the next campaign. So age shouldn't be a factor.

Dodge
31/10/2005, 4:31 PM
He's been in Richmond Park a couple of times...

tiktok
01/11/2005, 9:18 AM
BTW, League 1 is a higher standard than the EL. Swansea play in front of 14,000 for most league games. I don't know of any EL clubs getting attendances like that.

Whether you're wrong or right in your stance, attendances give no indication of the relative standards.

Just because Celtic sell more tickets than Arsenal doesn't mean John Hartson is a better player than Thierry Henry.

OwlsFan
07/11/2005, 12:52 PM
He refused to sign for Wednesday who made an offer which Swansea accepted - apparently he's waiting for a bigger club to come in for him! There's no bigger club in the Championship so unless a Premiership team comes in for him, he'll stay at Swansea and never be capped and rightly so. I hope we haven't slipped to Norn Iron level where we pick players from the lower divisions.

tetsujin1979
07/11/2005, 1:24 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought Swansea refused the offer outright, so Sheffield Wednesday moved to sign Nathan Tyson, the offer was accepted by his club and he refused the terms

CraftyToePoke
07/11/2005, 3:21 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought Swansea refused the offer outright, so Sheffield Wednesday moved to sign Nathan Tyson, the offer was accepted by his club and he refused the terms

they said on sky recently while showing a sheff weds game that swansea had rejected all bids. he has been negotiating a new deal a swansea whereby he will have an image rights clause similar to Beckhams!! as most of the sales of merchandise in the club shop has his name on it.

much ado about nothing i make out,the man is only managed to shed the gut for this season.