PDA

View Full Version : Which newspaper do you read and why?

liam88
28/10/2005, 11:06 PM
For me it's the (UK) Inderpendent. They have a good, realistic style of journalism without to much of a slant (apart from the contreversial IRA headline the other week which was stupid more than bias) and I like their stance on Burma and Tibet-supporting democracy in both and always reffering to both by their real names.

Most blatantly agenda driven paper I tried was the (UK) Telegraph......except for when I read a copy of An Pholact :D

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 11:45 PM
The Irish Times because they are more liberal than the Indo (not that I'm a mad commie) and they have nice eircom League coverage on a Saturday :) and the Dundalk Democrat (as seen on RTÉ's "The Panel" :D ) every now and again when I'm home to see what the story is in 'the town' and see their take is on the latest goings on with Dundalk FC.

dfx-
28/10/2005, 11:51 PM
The Irish Times....excellent articles imo to read and kill time before going into labs..

And the fact I get it for half the price every day....:cool: :D

ThatGuy
29/10/2005, 1:04 AM
Irish Times IMO is the only proper paper in Ireland at the moment.

The independent has devolved into an absolute joke while there is no other national paper with any credibility.

dahamsta
29/10/2005, 3:07 AM
Didn't we have this a while back?

I don't read papers, but if I'm going for lunch or something I'll buy one of the IT, De Paper or The Graundian, probably in that order.

I get most of my news from here (http://pheeds.org/).

Drumcondra Red
29/10/2005, 11:54 AM
Irish Times

ccfcgirl
29/10/2005, 12:35 PM
I read the Evening Echo its very good on local and international news.It also dose a daily report on Cork City fc.

Anto McC
29/10/2005, 1:26 PM
Im going to be honest(Royston :rolleyes: )If i buy a newspaper i buy The Sun for the EL coverage and page 3 :o

The Stars
29/10/2005, 2:15 PM
Sligo Properties,great if you like reading about houses

centre mid
29/10/2005, 2:56 PM
The Mirrior on Fridays is good for the EL supplement

Bray people - good coverage of Wanderers ( Obvioulsy )

Examiner for news

sligoman
29/10/2005, 3:14 PM
Sligo Weekender sometimes-For Rovers coverage obviously

Sometimes buy the Sun, the Star, the Mirror or the News of the World. Dont buy them that often though

Speranza
29/10/2005, 4:32 PM
Usually read the Guardian. Irish News when i am at home and Derry Journo every Tue and Fri. Hate the comic strip that is the sun.

Thunderblaster
29/10/2005, 7:18 PM
The Daily Moon!!:D :D Only messing. The main newspaper for me would be The Star for its pro-soccer slant. As for the broadsheet, it would be the Indo. I've sometimes got a free copy of the Daily Mail when I was in W.H. Smith's in Liverpool. The local newspapers are ok in my region, not over spectacular. Connaught Telegraph has good soccer coverage but newspapers in the boggy, rainy West of Ireland can be very bogball orientated in their sports coverage.

Partizan
29/10/2005, 7:33 PM
National: Irish Times, no contest.

Local: Munster Express. Coverage of the Blues and the local junior soccer is second to none.

International: Independent, The Mirror, Guardian, The Exile, Granma Internacional (Cuba) and the Morning Star (an essential breakfast time read when I was in Manchester. Still read it over the net)

Plastic Paddy
29/10/2005, 9:11 PM
Most blatantly agenda driven paper I tried was the (UK) Telegraph......except for when I read a copy of An Pholact :D

:D If you ever visit Cuba, just make sure you buy an English-language copy of Granma or Rebelde - you'll think the Torygraph is the essence of liberalism and free speech afterwards...

:ball: PP

harry crumb
30/10/2005, 11:11 AM
Irish Times.

Examiner has gone to ****.

The Independent was always rubbish.

The Evening Echo is lucky it has a monapoly because it is poor too and they have some cheek to charge €1.10 for it. The Herald is worse.

Id buy the Mirror on Friday for the EL supplement. I dont read the rest of it.

Sun = ****e
Star = ****e

CollegeTillIDie
31/10/2005, 8:31 AM
The Irish Times because they are more liberal than the Indo (not that I'm a mad commie) and they have nice eircom League coverage on a Saturday :) and the Dundalk Democrat (as seen on RTÉ's "The Panel" :D ) every now and again when I'm home to see what the story is in 'the town' and see their take is on the latest goings on with Dundalk FC.
FYI you can buy the Democrat in Eason's O'Connell Street any Friday afternoon/evening .

CollegeTillIDie
31/10/2005, 8:34 AM
I get my news from radio and TV so I buy the papers for sports coverage.
I buy The Star and the Irish Mirror(Fridays and Mondays) for EL coverage. The English Times on a Monday has a great soccer pullout. Other English newspapers ( on sports basis only you understand) The Guardian has all the weekend's EL results on a Monday and the Independent does too on occasion.

I don't buy the Irish Times because as they boycott the EL First Division( i.e. zero coverage) I decided some time ago to boycott them. I do read other people's on occasion :D Newspaper of record?... once upon a time... nowadays me arse!
I also buy the Waterford News and Star and Munster Express for their local sports coverage as I spend a lot of weekends in Waterford during the summer. Which can be bought in Eason's O'Connell Street every Friday afternoon/evening, get in before your favourite provincial paper is sold out boys and girls :D

International... When in Belgrade I buy Blic for the Sports coverage and DNES in Prague for the same reason.

crc
31/10/2005, 9:29 AM
The Irish Times - pure quality throughout (including, but not limited to the Sports section)
Financial Times - also a wonderfully serious paper. There's no messing around, and they treat European stories exceptionally well. The weekend section is good reading too.

The Indo is a rag. I only take it when they occasionally give it out free, and that's enough for me to remember why I don't buy it!

Cosmo
31/10/2005, 10:08 AM
every now and again when I'm home to see what the story is in 'the town'

In all fairness, I doubt things change that much from week to week up there :p

Macy
01/11/2005, 7:12 AM
Don't really buy papers anymore, but if I do...

Monday - Saturday - Irish Times, The Guardian, The Star
Sunday - Used to buy the Turbine everyweek, but Paddy Murray took it to down market for me, so haven't brought it for months now. A shame, as despite my dislike of Matt Cooper he had it a decent rag. Would probably pick the observer but rarely bother.

Local - Longford Leader and the Wicklow People. Leader gives good coverage of the Town, certainly shames the Wicklow People in terms of eL coverage as crap coverage of Bray in comparison. Wicklow team me arse. :D

thejollyrodger
01/11/2005, 7:57 AM
The Irish Times... its the only newspaper that prints decent articles at the moment. The examiner is ok although a bit limited.

The rest of the irish press has turned into gutter press. The indo is a fcukin rag. The hearld is something I would outlaw. The scum and the rest of them should be sent back to England.

noby
01/11/2005, 9:06 AM
I buy the Sunday Times. It takes me a week to read it.

glentoranfan
01/11/2005, 11:05 AM
Daily Telegraph and Belfast Tele. Sunday Life is great for all the footy and sports news so I read that as well.

Dotsy
01/11/2005, 11:21 AM
Mon-Sat Irish Times (only the Examiner comes close as a serious newspaper and not a rag) and the Sunday Times. The Echo for local news.