PDA

View Full Version : Anyone changed their minds?

eirebhoy
28/10/2005, 4:10 PM
Does anyone who thought Kerr should go after the qualifiers now think he should have been kept on?

Alex Ferguson was the first of the big names to rule himself out.
Martin O'Neill ruled himself out yesterday.
Troussier gets the Morroco job yesterday.
George Burley rules himself out today.

Claudio Ranieri is apparantly interested (certainly not as good as Kerr).
Frank Stapelton applies for the job.
Roddy Collins comes out today "deadly serious" that he will send his CV to Merrion square if he keeps Rovers afloat.
The top 3 Irish in Paddy Power's odds are Aldridge, Brady and Stapelton.

Depressing times and it was a rash decision that looks very costly.

Poor Student
28/10/2005, 4:26 PM
Well my position before hand was, only let Kerr go if you're going to get someone of a significantly better calibre like O'Neill otherwise the disruption isn't worth it, not to mention the fact we could end up with worse. I wouldn't mind Ranieri. I'd be a bit disappointed if we had to go to Aldridge but would accept it. Brady, Stapleton et al I would not accept.

Qwerty
28/10/2005, 5:12 PM
Ian Dowie and Steve Coppell are two guys that wouldn't scare me but they probably couldn't be tempted. Or Mark Hughes for that matter.

My inclination at this point would be O'Leary though perhaps he would be smarter and more mature in another 5 years. There aren't any other former players I think should have a snowball's chance in hell of being considered.

Of your list only MON was a possibility, the other wouldn't have been on my list.

jbyrne
28/10/2005, 5:18 PM
i havent changed my mind as never thought kerr should go in the first place. i've posted elsewhere with my views but in summary we were never going to get anyone better than kerr and he should have been given another campaign at least. it will prove to be a huge mistake getting rid of kerr

thejollyrodger
28/10/2005, 5:22 PM
I always supported Kerr, right to the end despite the hate camaign mc dermott the scúm bag started. Now we realise how few mangers want to take a team on that has been in decline for a while now.

tricky_colour
28/10/2005, 5:26 PM
My view was he hadn't done a great job but were we likely to get anyone
better, something that should have been determined before he was sacked?

strangeirish
28/10/2005, 5:42 PM
No mind change here. I didn't think he should have got the boot in the first place. Would the FAI do an about face and rehire him?:eek:

Irish_Praha
28/10/2005, 5:44 PM
I agree with the general consensus that the FAI should have had someone that could be considered an improvement lined up before they gave Kerr the boot. However, they only knew a few days before they sacked that we wouldn't qualify for the WC, which was hardly enough time to find a replacement.
If they had half a brain they could have said that they would chose a candidate the same way as last time ie if you want the job apply to the FAI. They could have then told Kerr they wouldn't renew his contract but he was welcome to apply to have it renewed. In the background they could have went head-hunting and if they didn't get their desired target they could accept Kerr's reapplication. The way they have done it now there's no way he can be reappointed if they can't find a decent replacement :rolleyes:

Who knows though maybe they will surprise us all and come up with a decent alternative, however I wouldn't bet my house on that one :p

eirebhoy
28/10/2005, 5:54 PM
After the qualifiers, I was 60% in favour of keeping Kerr, and 40% against. Now I am 80% in thinking that keeping Kerr would have been the right thing to do, with just 20% of me thnking we might find someone better.
Pretty much exactly the way I feel.

Troussier reveals Eire talks (http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=320760&CPID=219&clid=&lid=3098&title=Troussier+reveals+Eire+talks)

Superhoops
28/10/2005, 6:16 PM
They could have then told Kerr they wouldn't renew his contract but he was welcome to apply to have it renewed. In the background they could have went head-hunting and if they didn't get their desired target they could accept Kerr's reapplication.
Why would Kerr want the job have knowing that at best he is only second choice and possibly third, fourth or fifth choice and that the only reason he was in the job was they could'nt get anyone better!

There is a real chance now that Kerr may become the best choice available, he certainly must be a better choice than Aldridge, Brady or Stapleton. If that is the case, I hope BK does not demean himself by putting his name forward and that he tells Delaney to stick his job up his ar*e.

youngirish
28/10/2005, 6:17 PM
Kerr was absolute s***e I don't believe this defeatist attitute that we would be better off in keeping a manager who guided us through our worst qualifying campaign in recent memory. We need to try someone else. We were going backwards with Kerr. He hadn't a clue how to manage at the top level.

Fergie's Son
28/10/2005, 6:19 PM
Maybe. To be frank, Kerr's conservatism bothered me. Further, for whatever reason it seemed clear to me that the team (or elements therein) did not respect him. Something had to give.

Frank Stapleton....oh no, no.

eirebhoy
28/10/2005, 7:21 PM
Kerr was absolute s***e I don't believe this defeatist attitute that we would be better off in keeping a manager who guided us through our worst qualifying campaign in recent memory. We need to try someone else. We were going backwards with Kerr. He hadn't a clue how to manage at the top level.
copied and pasted:

No worse than McCarthy's. Actually, McCarthy's were worse. He got a much easier ride than Kerr (I'm not against McCarthy btw, I'd love to see him do well). We've heard all about Macedonia, twice. 3-5-2 against Iceland with Keane as sweeper. Mark Kennedy in free role against Belgium. Forcing one of our best ever full backs (Irwin) into retirement by treating him badly. 4-5-1 away to both Yugoslavia and Croatia. I could go on, haven't even mentioned drawing at home to Lithuania.

That was all in his first two campaigns. He did superbly well in his 3rd campaign (a term which Kerr didn't get). Even still, Kerr was slated for conceding leads to draw games. McCarthy's team also lost a couple of leads in that excellent campaign. He also persisted on playing Duff up front and wouldn't drop the terrible Kilbane from the left wing.

The FAI are not going to appoint better than Kerr.

geysir
28/10/2005, 7:31 PM
My opinion was that reaching the playoffs were a minimum.
The way the group worked out, that target was more than realistic.
I put my feelings about the media frenzy and the FAI aside.
I feel a bit conned by Kerr and now that the group is over we are expected to appreciate that he was only learning the ropes.
Did not give me one glimpse that he knew what happened in the last 2 games. At the end of all the group´s games there was no evidence left (and little confidence) that he could put it right.
Some may be feeling a bit lonely and insecure like after a relationship break up.
I wish it was a different story.
My panic has gone, now that Troussier plays his bluff elsewhere. I don´t mind the wait.

4tothefloor
28/10/2005, 7:46 PM
Kerr wasn't up to scratch and didn't have the balls to go out and win games. Either that or he had little influence over the players. Tactically inept. Best result was a 0-0 draw away to a French reserve team in crises. Wake up people :rolleyes:

Gus Hiddink is still a possibility. Ranieiri would be a good appointment (not better than Kerr? What drugs are you on?!). There are also a few other European coaches who haven't appeared in the bookies betting. Personally I think it will be a surprise appointment. I'm hoping surprise as in Hiddink, rather than surprise as in Brady...........How about a partnership of Dave O'Leary and Roddy Collins?! Christ, could you imagine it? :D :D

eirebhoy
28/10/2005, 7:51 PM
Ranieiri would be a good appointment (not better than Kerr? What drugs are you on?!).
If you think Kerr is tactically inept, Ranieri takes the biscuit. He is a terrible manager. He made some excellent buys but the average reader on this forum would also buy excellent players.

geysir
28/10/2005, 8:15 PM
Eirebhoy I repeat. there was no evidence in this last group to suggest that Kerr had the neccessary to get it right next time. You are basing your arguement on a HOPE that he would get better as some others did. Exactly what were the good tactical/inspiring points that you liked about Kerr and in what games did you see this? Did you see where he learn't something and actually improved our position in any of the games against the big 3?

fergalr
28/10/2005, 9:42 PM
If you think Kerr is tactically inept, Ranieri takes the biscuit. He is a terrible manager.
Terrible? Lets look at his record:

Cagliari - won promotion
Napoli - 4th place in Seria A and introduced Zola
Fiorentina - Seria B champions, won Italian Cup
Valencia - qualified for CL (and largely built the team that Cuper took to two CL finals)
Athletico Madid - failed (but who hasn't)
Chelsea (pre-Abramovich) - rebuilt aging team, FA cup finalists, qualified for CL
Chelski - 2nd place in EPL and semis of CL
Valencia - failed

... and Brian Kerr's record in professional football is .....

Cosmo
28/10/2005, 10:01 PM
i havent changed my mind as never thought kerr should go in the first place. i've posted elsewhere with my views but in summary we were never going to get anyone better than kerr and he should have been given another campaign at least. it will prove to be a huge mistake getting rid of kerr

Agree with every word said in that post.

As said before, i can see some useless big name w@nker getting the job.

Everyone knows, ye dont get rid of a manager unless ye have a better manager already lined up (even if it unofficially, ye just sound your man out beforehand :rolleyes: )

Superhoops
28/10/2005, 10:18 PM
.....I don´t mind the wait.
For who exactly?

Qwerty
28/10/2005, 10:51 PM
Pretty much exactly the way I feel.

Troussier reveals Eire talks (http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=320760&CPID=219&clid=&lid=3098&title=Troussier+reveals+Eire+talks)

That link is interesting, why would he have to wait 6 months before taking up the job? Is the FAI trying to save money or wait as long as they can for MON to become available. I think the latter, and MON used the phrase 'foreseeable future' when saying he was not available at this time. I think the FAI has spoken to O'Neill and is willing to wait and see, I'm sure MON hasn't made any comittment other than saying - call me again in 6 months time.

Cosmo
28/10/2005, 10:56 PM
I'm sure MON hasn't made any comittment other than saying - call me again in 6 months time.

If true, dangerous game to play though on the fais part do ye not think? A big gamble (that may or may not pay off)

Risteard
29/10/2005, 12:08 AM
A big gamble that could see the inevitable "Givens-caretaker manager" spell run into the qualifiers. :eek: :eek:
Seriously, its getting to the stage where the likes of him will be throwing their hat in the ring.

geysir
29/10/2005, 12:23 AM
For who exactly?
Waiting for Moses Delaney to hear the word from the Lord and appoint a new leader to bring the green army to the promised land.

geysir
29/10/2005, 12:27 AM
That link is interesting, why would he have to wait 6 months before taking up the job? Is the FAI trying to save money or wait as long as they can for MON to become available. I think the latter, and MON used the phrase 'foreseeable future' when saying he was not available at this time. I think the FAI has spoken to O'Neill and is willing to wait and see, I'm sure MON hasn't made any comittment other than saying - call me again in 6 months time.
re trusty Troussier
"I refused Nigeria and Senegal, because they didn't give me enough guarantees".
That´s not what was reported at the time, the deal with Nigeria was done and dusted then he gave some excuse that he had to have surgery done on his knee.
"I was also in talks with Eire, but I had to wait six months.
What was reported that he said at the time of throwing his hat into the ring ´I would do a deal with the FAI and money would not be a barrier´.

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 8:54 AM
The FAI are waiting six months so they can save the €250,000 or so they would have had to pay Brian Kerr and use that to pay the next guys first instalment of his salary.. we did not qualify for the World Cup and the FAI are f***ing broke and will be for the foreseeable future!

I don't know about you guys but maybe we should give the Israeli coach Grant the job, he's just become available.

John Delaney is a tool! He was a complete flute at Waterford United wasting IR£ 400,000 raised from the PLC floatation on having 33 signed players and no reserve team under Mike Flanagan's tenure. Next time he appears at a match we should all chant " you don't know what you're doing!"

onenilgameover
29/10/2005, 9:39 AM
we know what kerr brought to the Irish set up a 3rd place finish and a 4th place finish at least with looking for a new manager we are trying to better that. It would only have gotten worse under Kerr. No mind change here although I've never been quite as despondant and I blame Kerr...

eirebhoy
29/10/2005, 10:12 AM
we know what kerr brought to the Irish set up a 3rd place finish and a 4th place finish at least with looking for a new manager we are trying to better that. It would only have gotten worse under Kerr. No mind change here although I've never been quite as despondant and I blame Kerr...
The groups Kerr had were a lot tougher than McCarthy's. The worst team in the Euro group was Georgia. Half the Georgian team would have got into our team and still probably would now. One "moment of magic" by Henry seperated the 4 teams at the top in the WC campaign. I know we wouldn't have qualified on goal difference but not many Irish teams would qualify for anything on g/d.

I'd put Kerr's Euro 2004 campaign on par with McCarthy's Euro 2000 campaign and Kerr's WC2006 campaign on par with McCarthy's WC98. Kerr averaged 1.7 points per game in the WCQ, McCarthy averaged 1.8 with Lithuania the only competitor for 2nd place. The team that Kerr took over for the Euros had Gary Breen at centre half, Gary Kelly at right back and Ian Harte at left back, Matt Holland and Kinsella in the centre, Jason McAteer on the right, Kevin Kibane on the left and Duff up front. With no time to experiment he had to stick with the core of that.

brine3
29/10/2005, 10:21 AM
Let's not forget that Kerr started the 2004 qualifiers with a six point deficit.

onenilgameover
29/10/2005, 11:43 AM
The groups Kerr had were a lot tougher than McCarthy's. The worst team in the Euro group was Georgia. Half the Georgian team would have got into our team and still probably would now. One "moment of magic" by Henry seperated the 4 teams at the top in the WC campaign. I know we wouldn't have qualified on goal difference but not many Irish teams would qualify for anything on g/d.

I'd put Kerr's Euro 2004 campaign on par with McCarthy's Euro 2000 campaign and Kerr's WC2006 campaign on par with McCarthy's WC98. Kerr averaged 1.7 points per game in the WCQ, McCarthy averaged 1.8 with Lithuania the only competitor for 2nd place. The team that Kerr took over for the Euros had Gary Breen at centre half, Gary Kelly at right back and Ian Harte at left back, Matt Holland and Kinsella in the centre, Jason McAteer on the right, Kevin Kibane on the left and Duff up front. With no time to experiment he had to stick with the core of that.

Thats an interesting way of looking at it EB...and I can understand the realationship between the campaigns/managers but it seems to me you're looking for and have found the stats to back up your opinon but are missing the glaringly obvious ones. These are well documented and I'm sure you know them even if you choose to see them in a different way. Kerr would have taken us further downhill and the FAI and the majority of Fans knew that and thats why he went. We never took a risk in the whole of the campaign I'm glad were doing it now.

Qwerty
29/10/2005, 7:46 PM
Right on, I just couldn't see any further progress under Kerr, we have without a doubt slipped even further back than we were at the start of his term.

The simple fact is we only managed to beat Georgia under Kerr, that's it. Period. End of story. Thank you and Good Night.

TheJamaicanP.M.
30/10/2005, 1:01 AM
I cannot understand how some of you are trying to make excuses for Brian Kerr. Eirebhoy, that is absolute rubbish what you said about Kerr's Euro04 campaign being on a par with McCarthy's Euro2000 campaign. The best performace from Kerr's team in the 2004 qualifiers was a 2 nil home win against Georgia. We palyed some excellent football that night against what was a good Georgian team. However, we put in some desperate performaces at home to Albania and Russia, as well the soulless performace in Basel. In contrast, McCarthy's team beat Croatia 2-0 in Lansdowne (a team that had just come third in the World Cup). We also put in a vintage performace to achieve a 2-1 win at home to Yugoslavia, a team that included Mijatovic, Savicevic, Stankovic and Mihailovic (not sure about my spelling!). We missed out on automatic qualification because Macedonia got an equaliser with 12 seconds to go. We then went out on an away goal to Turkey (a penalty might I add). McCarthy and his team may have made some blunders during that campaign, but at least they were honest in the way they went about things. Brian Kerr and his team were certainly not honest. They failed to give the requisite commitment.

People keep saying that we don't have the players. What they forget is that for the majority of this campaign we had 11 Premiership players starting each game. We should have been more than good enough to get a play-off place. During Mick McCarthy's first qualification campaign, he was forced to use young reserve team players like Ian Harte and David Connolly, and a number of veterans. McCarthy didn't have the resources, but he at least managed to take us to a play-off in which we gave it everything against the Belgians. Even when we beat Holland in Lansdowne, we won with 10 men. We had Steve Staunton (an Aston Villa reserve) and a fat Richard Dunne in defence. We had Jason McAteer (a Blackburn Rovers reserve on the right wing). We still managed to beat a star-studded Dutch team. Under McCarthy, the Irish team was always greater than the sum of its parts. The same could not be said for Kerr's team. I'll always forgive a team and the manager when they give it everything and are showing signs of improvement. The same cannot be said for Brian Kerr and his team. He completely failed to motivate the players for any of the games, other than the French in Paris. That alone should not be enough to keep him in a job. We played against a considerably weakened French team, a result that both Israel and Switzerland also managed to pull off.

Like everyone on this forum, I wanted Brian Kerr to succeed. I supported him right to the end. I enjoyed the feel-good story that was Brian Kerr's rise to the top job in Irish football. I truely believed that he would do great things for us. However, that confidence was mis-placed. Kerr was out of his depth. After using the media to his advantage, he turned on them. I've heard a couple of stories of his dealings with the public, real football fans. It seems that like many Irish people who rise to power, Kerr let the position go to his head. He developed an ego and unlike McCarthy, failed to learn from his mistakes. When McCarthy realised that his 3-man defence wasn't working, he was man enough to change it. However, when it became clear after the Israel games that a cautious approach and negativity were costing us points, Kerr continued to adopt such an approach. Kerr strikes me as a completely stubborn individual. The fact that Ireland finished the must-win game against the Swiss with 6 recognised defenders on the pitch speaks for itself. One would have thought that Kerr would have gone for broke, even to save his job. Ultimately, his negative approach cost him and its hard to have sympathy for such a manager. While Kerr might have looked down and sniggered at the managerial tenures of Charlton and McCarthy, he is ultimately the joke.

Kerr had three years in charge of this team, yet he failed to leave his own mark. For that reason, Kerr's tenure will never be remembered as an "era". With the exception of Andy Reid, he didn't really bring any of his own players through. Stephen Elliott only got a few caps. This never became his team, and he only has himself to blame. Personally, I became sick of his cautious approach in friendly matches. It was like we would score a goal and sit back and defend for the rest of the match. The home friendlies against Croatia, Portugal and China spring to mind. Kerr might have thought it was great that we were maintaining our world ranking, while bringing on the odd fringe player for a cap after the 80th minute. For a man that built his reputation with the youth teams, he never gave the young players a chance.

I disagree with those who say we can't do better than Brian Kerr. While I recognise that it would be almost impossible to find someone who cares about Irish football as much as Kerr, we can certainly get a better manager. If Kerr had been kept on it would send out the wrong signal. It is simply not acceptable that Ireland finish fourth in a group. Kerr had his chance and he failed. If, like McCarthy, he had made the play-offs and there was a real sign of improvement, he would be well entitled to a new contract. However, I think he has left this team in a worse state than what he received it in. He didn't deserve a new contract and I have no sympathy for him.

Its still early days yet and we can speculate all we like but none of us know who will be the next manager. However, I think if we give it time we will find the right man.

dfx-
30/10/2005, 1:46 AM
Kerr wasn't up to scratch and didn't have the balls to go out and win games. Either that or he had little influence over the players. Tactically inept. Best result was a 0-0 draw away to a French reserve team in crises. Wake up people :rolleyes:

Exactly. No change of mind here. Anyone with an attacking mentality who has an ounce of managerial talent is required. Kerr could've hacked it - he could've coped if he would ditch his conservative mentality. That is what got him sacked and it still remains the correct decision.

BobbySands
30/10/2005, 2:30 AM
I've changed my mind. I thought Delaney deserved a kick in the balls. Can I add a kick in the face to that.

Irish_Praha
30/10/2005, 9:51 AM
I've changed my mind. I thought Delaney deserved a kick in the balls. Can I add a kick in the face to that.
:D

Good post BTW P.M.

geysir
30/10/2005, 11:10 AM
Not even neccessary to mention that Croatia and Yugoslavia were 40+ places above us in the rankings.
When statistics form the whole arguement then the statistics become the lampost that a drunk leans against while urinating, for support rather than illumination.

Stuttgart88
30/10/2005, 11:58 AM
I've changed my mind. In September I felt he should only be replaced if there was somebody better to replace him. But after what I saw in early October I'm just as happy to have no-one at the helm than to have Kerr.

I posted in the run up to the Cyprus game that Kerr was a few shots over par but had a few holes left to play in which he could recover. Judge him when his round is over I thought. But sadly, he made a mess of the last few holes too. A pretty nasty mess.

The only time I felt Kerr was beginning to stamp his own mark on this team was after the France away & Faroes home games when we played with a crispness and tempo that told me that Kerr had realised what it takes to win at international level these days. I was waiting for a beakthrough performance in Israel but even the last minute equaliser papered over the cracks - we were p1ss poor. We played well for a while at home to Isreal, for about 75 minutes actually. But, let's face it, this was still the minimum you'd expect from eleven Premiership players.

The players are not responding to his style. Can anyone name one player from whom Kerr has got the best out of? Andy O'Brien was the only real success in my view. Most players underperformed for him. Only O'Brien played better for Kerr than you'd have thought he would do.

He never showed any imagination.
His team & squad selections were stagnant. Players no more deserving of an Ireland cap than me were in the squad whereas others with potential never got a look in. It took Paddy Kenny AGES to even make the squad when we had no credible goalkeeping cover. Underperforming players kept their places regularly.

I don't buy into the arguement that this is a poor squad. I said it on the "Ireland and Ireland" thread: there's enough in this squad and enough on the fringes to do something if we had an inspirational manager. Kerr just didn't fit the bill. He just wasn't good enough and when all the evidence is taken into account there's no sign he ever would have been. If asked the same when Mick had finished his second term, I honestly would have said he was probably worth one more shot.

No need to panic yet though.

4tothefloor
30/10/2005, 11:59 AM
Terry Venebles is now in the running. Wouldn't be a bad appointment at all, excellent coach who knows how to get the best out of players, plus plenty of international experience. And before anyone referes to his short tenure at Leeds, Jesus Christ himself couldn't have saved Leeds.

tetsujin1979
30/10/2005, 2:23 PM
What about his tenure at Crystal Palace when he nearly bankruptd the club? For me, Venables has done nothing of note in management since winning the FA Cup with Spurs, even at Euro '96 he had a fantastic side and still couldn't get them to win at home.

Qwerty
30/10/2005, 5:09 PM
Oh come on they lost on penalties in the semis, plus you had all of Ireland and Scotland praying they would fail. Anyway Venables isn't the guy we want.

CraftyToePoke
31/10/2005, 11:54 AM
i think for Kerr to have gotten another term it would have been a case of the heart ruling the head and this was never too likely with the people concerned at the f.a.i. As much as i wanted this man to do well as it would have been a shot in the arm for the game in Ireland on several levels, his tenure seemed to lurch from one unsatisfactory scenario to another with his pig-headedness and inability to even recognise his errors (let alone learn from them and correct them) continually souring the taste even further.

And despite this i still felt sorry for him at the end because the petering out of our campaign will have hurt no-one more that Kerr. But change is needed and it looks like we will have to be willing to throw a few lads in at early stages of their careers,i dont doubt there is talent coming through and i believe the talent level in our squad remains about the same through the years, but Kerrs tenure didnt suggest he would make much of a fist of this either.

I remain of the 'new broom required' camp but concede the fai dont fill me with confidence on this either.

wallis
31/10/2005, 3:18 PM
Never in the history of football has there been a more over-estimated manager than El Tel. Rather like Mr Beckham he is a triumph of hype over substance.

Im still of the opinion we wont see anyone until the easter time. Some premiership managers will be gone by then or declaring their interests elsewhere (Ferguson , O'Neil , O'Leary , Hiddink ??) . Far more choice than they have now.

dont hold you breath...

Superhoops
31/10/2005, 4:40 PM
Never in the history of football has there been a more over-estimated manager than El Tel. Rather like Mr Beckham he is a triumph of hype over substance.

Im still of the opinion we wont see anyone until the easter time. Some premiership managers will be gone by then or declaring their interests elsewhere (Ferguson , O'Neil , O'Leary , Hiddink ??) . Far more choice than they have now.

dont hold you breath...
We are kidding ourselves if we believe there will be a list of top class managers from which the FAI will be able to make a choice. Apart from O'Neill, Ranieri and Hiddink, the rest are either has-beens (Ferguson, Bobby Robson, Venables), failures (Aldridge, Reid, Brady), wannabes (Staunton, Keane, Moran), got ambitions bigger than Ireland (O'Leary, Burley) and those who have opted out of club management some time ago (Graham, Daglish).

If any premiership manager ends up being sacked between now and Easter, is he likely to be any good and would we really want him? Look at the likely candidates, Steve Bruce, David Moyes, Bryan Robson. If they have failed with poor squads at their clubs why should we think they would do any better with our ordinary squad? (Oh I forgot Mick McCarthy:D).

This all looks like it is geared around giving Martin O'Neill 6 months to see if his situation changes. If it does and he takes it all well and good. If not, whoever we get will only be second choice at best and will have little time to stamp his mark on the squad.

My bet is that is will all end up in tears, O'Neill wont take it and we will end up taking someone who is a big name rather than the best man for the job.

geysir
31/10/2005, 7:52 PM
There is not a lot of history to support the idea that Irish managers need time before they improve.
Touhy starting from zero, a good win and an away draw against France
Giles got off to a bright start and Eoin Hand got off to a flier before sliding away. Then Charlton hits bullseye, top of the group first time.
Only Mc Carthy needed time before peaking and had a good 2nd and 3rd campaign.
More often than not a manager hits the high first time out and either holds on a bit for a while like Giles or fades faster, like Hand..

Closed Account 2
31/10/2005, 8:24 PM
Anyone got an opinion on Dave Bassett ?

Superhoops
31/10/2005, 8:57 PM
Anyone got an opinion on Dave Bassett ?
falls into the 'past sell-by date' catagory

Closed Account 2
31/10/2005, 9:33 PM
by the way Tigana is now the new coach of Besijktas (Turkish team)

geysir
31/10/2005, 10:43 PM
It appears to be taken for granted that a national team manager needs to have 6 to 9 months with the national team before the next qual campaign.
How much time does a manager need.? Some may need longer than others. Walter Smith seems to have shoehorned himself into the role with Scotland right from the start and right in the middle of a campaign.
Its not as if we are spoiled for choice with players like Italy or Spain that a manager needs a 6th sense developed to find out the best formation.
A few friendlies starting in May with a new manager is not exactly doom and gloom

Qwerty
31/10/2005, 11:10 PM
There is not a lot of history to support the idea that Irish managers need time before they improve.
Touhy starting from zero, a good win and an away draw against France
Giles got off to a bright start and Eoin Hand got off to a flier before sliding away. Then Charlton hits bullseye, top of the group first time.
Only Mc Carthy needed time before peaking and had a good 2nd and 3rd campaign.
More often than not a manager hits the high first time out and either holds on a bit for a while like Giles or fades faster, like Hand..

Typically a new manager brings at least a short term improvement in results as the players are excited by a new start and a new way of doing things, everyone starts with a clean slate. You see this at club level all the time.

tetsujin1979
01/11/2005, 12:15 AM
by the way Tigana is now the new coach of Besijktas (Turkish team)
Damn, I would have at least liked to see his name linked with the job, still a lot of respect for the way Fulham played under him.