PDA

View Full Version : Cork City/St Pats tonight

ccfcgirl
28/10/2005, 1:47 PM
city play Pats tonight at the cross. I hope we get a good crowd tonight and an all important win .

Risteard
28/10/2005, 10:04 PM
We got neither.
Players looked tired tonight.
Might prove the kick up the arse we need. Should be okay for Monday if Fenn and Flynn return. Bohs won't be as desperate for the win though we should really put the StPats of this world away.
Hope Barry Ryan didn't reward his team-mates with a bus with smashed windows or anything like that.
Unnecessary behaviour.

Champions 2005

Saint Tom
28/10/2005, 10:13 PM
what did barry ryan do

Risteard
28/10/2005, 11:27 PM
Just goading the fans really.
Chose to celebrate to the shed rather than with the Pats fans.
That EASY EASY clapping motion.
Don't think he actually went near the Pats fans.
Its ironic that fans get wound up by this sorta thing but Ryan was really putting himself in a dangerous position.
Trying to become Dan Connor, he was.

Fair_play_boy
28/10/2005, 11:40 PM
Pats deserved their win.
We were shocking.
Shed were worse to boo the team though. That was an immature reaction.
Devine 6. Goal was no fault of his. Completely free header. Amazed he managed to half-block it. A bit disappointed he tried to do a Pete Schmeichael towards the end. Goal difference is very important at this stabe of the season, and he could easily have thrown away another goal late in the game.
Danny Murphy 8. Something good came from almost time he got possession.
Dan Murray 6. A few howlers, but came forward with a good deal of confidence.
Benno 8. So steady, but lacked a nimble midfield tonight. Sterling defence against some good moves by SPA.
Hoggie 7. Another faithful servant in defence. I admire his quiet consistent approach to the game.
Joey Gamble 7. A shining light in a dull midfield performance. But even Joe let a few crucial balls loose to SPA.
Georgie 3. Looked fancy but delivered poor passes all night, and blamed his team mates for not receiving them. Latch!
Roy 5. Showed loads of pace and urgency, but adopted a never-say-score policy, when you can always fall over. He did not deserve the yellow for the tubmle in the box, but it made up for the earlier dives.
Colin 7. As usual, 110% effort, but yielded too little on a night when guile was needed more than heart.
Behan 2. When Behan is good he is very very good. But when he is bad he is a donkey.
Kearney 6. Lacking something. Agree with the "tired" comment above.
Subs
Fenn 6. Made himself busy, and brought a cool head to affairs in the SPA third of the pitch.
Billy Woods 6. Surprisingly useful, after a period in the shadows. His crosses were a bit naive, but he managed to set up two chances none the less.
Big Derek 6. Not on long enough. I would have brought him on for Behan after 15 minutes.
Ref: McKeon manages to get it so wrong, I think he brings a bad name to the role of referee.
Two of the four yellow cards on the SPA guys were his fault, bad communication. No excuse for this at this level. I would have no hesitation in removing from the panel of refs. He would be a danger in school boys soccer. How he keeps his badge I will never know.
His awarded City a free kick for deliberate hand ball on the 25 yard line. That was OK. But he was inconsistent then by giving only a yellow for the offence.
He gave city two corners late in the second half when there were blatantly wide on both occasions.
He yellow carded Barry Ryan for time wasting, when he was running out to take a free kick. If anybody should have been carded, it was the gowl who stood over the ball first, and than asked Barry to take it.
But the best was his decision to wave on play when a Pats player palmed down the ball after a shot was taken inside the penalty area 10 minutes from time. Seconds later, Roy O'Donovan was about to take a shot on goal and was pushed off the ball by a hand to his face. McKeon did not even wave play on, he completely ignored it. And inside 30 seconds after that, Joe Gamble was pushed in the back from inside the circle just as he was trying to take down a high ball.
Three penalties. The way we were playing tonight, we probably would have missed 66% of them, but that is not the point. McKeon screwed us on a night that he needn't have bothered because we beat ourselves off the park. That is what hurt.

Schunter Netz
29/10/2005, 12:05 AM
Barry Ryan did nothing wrong. Pats were obviously delighted to get a win when they finished with nine men and, not knowing the Waterford result, they might have assumed it was enough to get them out of the relegation battle. They were entitled to their relief and celebration.

City were brilliant in the first half, and the game would have been over if we had scored one.

But why is Behan playing? I remember at the start of the season, when he was scoring regularly and Fenn was on the bench, hoping that his run of freakish goals would end so we could get our first team on the pitch. Shockingly, at the crucial end of the season, we are back where we started - Behan starting and Neale Fenn, one of the stars of the season, warming his arse waiting for Behan to tire (usually takes five minutes). Behan's strengths are his size, his hard shot which can always injure a player in a wall, and a knack for a freaky goal. His weaknesses are his lack of touch, pace, awareness, positional sense and, surprisingly for his machismo, his cowardice. It might be easy to say now, but I doubt we would have gone in scoreless at half time if Fenn had started.

Risteard
29/10/2005, 12:16 AM
Barry Ryan did nothing wrong. Pats were obviously delighted to get a win when they finished with nine men and, not knowing the Waterford result, they might have assumed it was enough to get them out of the relegation battle. They were entitled to their relief and celebration.

I agree really.
Just think it was stupid to go out of his way to incense fans.
He didn't get a crazy amount of grief like.

Agree with the rest, especially re Fenn but maybe he's not fully fit.
Behan is a decent honest fourth striker. That might sound patronising but i'd like him to stay at the club.
We need Fenn and Flynn back pronto.
Is it me or was Flynn named in the team again?

Dodge
29/10/2005, 2:31 AM
Just goading the fans really.
Don't think he actually went near the Pats fans
You're talking rubbish. He ran straight to the Pats fan both at the goal and at full time.

We thoroughly deserved to win. Can't believe Schunter Netz
City were brilliant in the first halfCork didn't have one single effort on goal (apart from a couple of set pieces)

O'Donovan defintely did dive and was at it all game. IMO none of your shouts were penalties. Look at the player reactions, no real arguements from them. Plus he stuck his fingers up at the Pats crowd and elbowed John Frost, so **** him!

Oh and poor form from O'Callaghan playing on rather than throw the ball back to us when Barry Ryan kicked it out. Still he got what he deserved. :p

Saint Tom
29/10/2005, 2:36 AM
I understand guys that you are in a title hunt and frustrated tonight, but we are a big club and deserve top flight status. As regards post such as "wipe the floor with the lkes pats" ...... look at our history five in ten years... Big clubs win titles... Rico bottles it!!!

On the final day, he threw the league away!!!!

RICO MUST STAY!!!!! BOTTLER

Dr.Nightdub
29/10/2005, 3:04 AM

How could he celebrate to the Shed when we were defending the St. Anne's end in the second half? Plus he was the first over to us when your ref finally blew for full time.

Thought Cork were all over us for most of the game without actually forcing a save, lots of pretty passing but no actual penetration. That's down to either poor play from youse or outstanding defending from Maguire and Caffrey - I reckon the latter. I went down expecting us to get stuffed but on the night, we deserved the win for pure guts and spirit alone.

One final word: a lot of people from other clubs have moaned previously about Cork stewards / cops and their behaviour. I gotta say the steward who was in front of us was a gem, he spent the whole night trying to keep a straight face at the antics of our hardcore alcoholic contingent....and failing. :D

patsh
29/10/2005, 10:38 AM
SPA deserved their 3 points, even though the goal came from their one and only corner of the night, though they had a few chances.
Probably their best performance of the year.
Ignoring the biased and ridiculous view of the usual SPA idiot, City dominated the game, without ever really getting hold of it.
2 blatent penalties ignored, particularly Prendeville almost choking Behan by hauling him back by the jersey in the first half.
Ryan had to make a fantastic save from George in the first half to tip the ball over the bar, and had to make a few smart saves from Behan too.
We had a little too much effort, when it was sublety that was needed to break down the 10 man defence.
Still, SPA looked sharp on the break, and I suppose they were due a result after two years.
Can't complain about Ryan, he got the slagging but gave it right back at the end.

Dodge
29/10/2005, 11:35 AM
Ignoring the biased and ridiculous view of the usual SPA idiot, City dominated the game
Who said you didn't? I said you weren't brilliant. Surely you can't disagree with that?

And Ryan didn't have one save to make of note. But then I'm the only one biased...

ccfcgirl
29/10/2005, 12:24 PM
Barry Ryan and St Pats deserved to celabrate and rightly so .There fighting Relagation and they beat the league leaders away from home .I though City played very well last night .Thank God for Benno at the end it could of been 2-0 .City lack that killer touch on goal Maybe its time to start Bruton and see how he dose..

Risteard
29/10/2005, 12:58 PM
How could he celebrate TO the Shed when we were defending the St. Anne's end in the second half?
By spending most of his time at the halfway line gestureing towards it.
I don't care really.
Was laughing at the people who were outraged by it.
Was just saying that i hope nothing came of it.
I dont care how many titles ye've won/trophies Dolan thought ye'd won. City SHOULD be putting the likes of Pats away. Same as they should be beating Rovers.
City deserved to lose last night but because they were asleep more than anything.

razor
29/10/2005, 3:00 PM
There are some nights when the team has played poorly and 1 or 2 players can be said to have played poorly. They were all crap last night.
As is well known I'm no fan of Gerogie but I thought he played quite well.
While I don't think we deserved to win neither did Pats, they came to waste time and frustrate City and while City played well enough in the 1st half, after half time Pats succeeded in dragging us down to their level and our game went to pieces.
Ryan wasted time at kick outs from the very start and it was only at the end the ref deemed a yellow card necessary. Pats spoiling tactics were expected and the ref had no choice in dishing out the cards.
Haven't seen the goal again but how could McGuire be standing on the line and not be offside?
Rico should have changed it after an hour, again he waited too late and paid the price. We need to have 2 strikers up front, George dropped off too deep and left Behan isolated, Bruton needs to start. CT & Joe are too similar , too defensive and it does not help us.
No problem with Ryan,you win, you celebrate.

Fair_play_boy
29/10/2005, 3:06 PM
No problem with Ryan,you win, you celebrate.Now, that is what I like to see on this MB. Straight talk.:ball:

Dr.Nightdub
29/10/2005, 3:38 PM
By spending most of his time at the halfway line .

And people accuse us of negative defensive tactics? Endless pressure from Cork, us down to nine men, the Seige of Stalingrad being re-enacted in our penalty box and all the while our keeper leaves the defence to carry on the last-ditch heroics while he stands on the halfway line making rude gestures at the Shed?

Thanks, Risteard. Best giggle I've had since about 9:45 last night!

razor
29/10/2005, 3:42 PM
And people accuse us of negative defensive tactics? Endless pressure from Cork, us down to nine men, the Seige of Stalingrad being re-enacted in our penalty box and all the while our keeper leaves the defence to carry on the last-ditch heroics while he stands on the halfway line making rude gestures at the Shed?You know he's referring to Barrys actions after the final whistle had gone. Cop On.

green army
29/10/2005, 4:50 PM
went down to cork fully expected us to lose last night but our battling performance was great. cork had more possession but we had the clearcut chances. cork looked tired and lacked imagination although its hard to break down a team defending for their lives. thought the ref could have easily given 2 penos for cork. and reilly could have been sent off. its the only game this season in which got the rub of thegreen

Dr.Nightdub
29/10/2005, 6:23 PM
You know he's referring to Barrys actions after the final whistle had gone.

I didn't, I thought he meant at full time, when Barry was over to us in a flash to celebrate with us. If it's any consolation, he was still jumping up and down and waving his hands in the air when we met the team outside Supermac's in Fermoy on the way home, even us calling him a "junkie maniac super keeper" didn't stop him. ;)

patsh
30/10/2005, 7:14 PM
Who said you didn't? I said you weren't brilliant. Surely you can't disagree with that?

And Ryan didn't have one save to make of note. But then I'm the only one biased...
Hmmm, you've decided you are the idiot........
No saves of note, besides having to tip the goal-bound chip from Geroge over the bar with his fingernails, and save the header from Behan in the first half, and the last ditch scramblng the ball away a few times in the second half.

Peadar
01/11/2005, 8:16 AM
We thoroughly deserved to win.

You most certainly did not deserve to win.
You deserved a draw at best.
It's clear to see why you're in a relegation play-off battle.
You looked and behaved like a relegation side.
You had less than 50 fans with you on a holiday weekend, which shows just how far you've fallen as a club.
You are now officially the bottom Dublin Club (CHF not considered).

We lacked a natural goal scorer and that was what saved you.
You should have had a straight red for the assault on Roy. We were without him for over 10 minutes, at a very important time of the game, while he got treatment.

wws
01/11/2005, 9:43 AM
You most certainly did not deserve to win.
You deserved a draw at best.
It's clear to see why you're in a relegation play-off battle.
You looked and behaved like a relegation side.
You had less than 50 fans with you on a holiday weekend, which shows just how far you've fallen as a club.
You are now officially the bottom Dublin Club (CHF not considered).

We lacked a natural goal scorer and that was what saved you.
You should have had a straight red for the assault on Roy. We were without him for over 10 minutes, at a very important time of the game, while he got treatment.

Laughing out Loud.
Easy, Easy, Easy!

Peadar
01/11/2005, 9:57 AM
Laughing out Loud.

Hope you enjoyed the trip to Cork, wws. :rolleyes:

Dodge
01/11/2005, 12:20 PM
He did, I did, in fact all lovers of good football did. On the balance of clear cut chances created, we did deserve to win.

Read this account from Cork's official site (http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=5819)

pete
01/11/2005, 12:36 PM
I thought draw would have been fair as pretty much 1 chance for Pats all game. City were very poor though.

I wouldn't have any problems with Barry Ryan waving from the halfway line as Shed should be able to accept what they dish out. It would be different if he went down in front of the shed.

Dodge
01/11/2005, 12:39 PM
Apart from the disallowed goal Pete...

Of course a draw would've been a fair result but for effort alone, nobody could deny Pats the win...

pete
01/11/2005, 12:51 PM
Apart from the disallowed goal Pete...

Its easy to score when offside.

Dodge
01/11/2005, 2:55 PM
Not for our players....

Peadar
03/11/2005, 8:26 AM
I've no doubt Pat's heads watched eircom league weekly, last night, and still delude themselves to believe they were the better team and deserved the win. :rolleyes:

Dodge
03/11/2005, 8:37 AM
Ok, we'll reverse it. Who played well? Yourselves, top of the league, or us, fighting relegation. Which keeper had one decent save to make, and din't make it?

FFS Peadar get over it. You were **** and deserved to lose, and all the 2 minute highlights in the world will not change that...

Peadar
03/11/2005, 8:48 AM
You were **** and deserved to lose

We didn't play well but we certainly didn't deserve to lose to your mob.
Enjoy the relegation battle. It's where you belong.