PDA

View Full Version : FAI arrange to switch Cup final to Lansdowne Road

Eire06
28/10/2005, 1:44 PM
From the FAI website
FAI arrange to switch Cup final to Lansdowne Road

There was good news today for followers of Cork City and Drogheda United when the FAI announced the FAI Carlsberg Cup final will be played at Lansdowne Road.

The final, on Sunday, December 4, had originally been fixed for Tolka Park but once two of the best supported clubs in the country qualified for the final, the FAI moved quickly to facilitate the number of fans expected.

The capacity of Tolka Park was acknowledged as being insufficient to cater for the numbers sure to want to travel to the match.

The decision to switch the game to Lansdowne Road ensures that all fans who wish to see the game will be facilitated.

The new arrangement then is:

Sunday, December 4:

FAI Carlsberg Cup final; Cork City v Drogheda United, Lansdowne Road 3.15 pm

NY Hoop
28/10/2005, 1:49 PM
Even though it was originally scheduled to be there:rolleyes:

Maybe this was a clever marketing ploy to get publicity for the final!

Hopefully there will be a great crowd with good weather as there is no major premiersh1t game on that day unlike last year.

KOH

Eire06
28/10/2005, 1:59 PM
Might even head to it myself the only question is who will I support on the day:eek:

mandrake
28/10/2005, 2:04 PM
support drogheda united, cmon, cork cant win everything!!!

ollie
28/10/2005, 2:08 PM
support drogheda united, cmon, cork cant win everything!!!

ah sure we can't win everything.we're out of the uefa cup;)

manic da hoop
28/10/2005, 2:26 PM
Maybe this was a clever marketing ploy to get publicity for the final!

Ha! They're not that clever...

...are they?

If so, it was a stroke of genius as there's been more publicity for this final already than you'd normally get in the week leading up to it, and it's still over a month away.

ColinR
28/10/2005, 2:35 PM
well in fairness to the fai, at least they have come to a decision (relatively quickly) and it gaurantees everyone who wants a ticket will get one. plus they got a lot of publicity.

now we can start the negotiations between the two clubs as to which to who takes over which pubs.....

Dee75
28/10/2005, 2:47 PM
I heard there is a match due to be played on the pitch the day before the final.

Roo69
28/10/2005, 3:21 PM
I heard there is a match due to be played on the pitch the day before the final.

Lansdowne Fixture list here (http://www.lrsdc.ie/fixtures/default.asp?NCID=62)

Lansdowne Vs. Cork Con due to be played on the 3rd but i would reckon this will be changed now.

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 3:27 PM
Lansdowne Fixture list here (http://www.lrsdc.ie/fixtures/default.asp?NCID=62)

Lansdowne Vs. Cork Con due to be played on the 3rd but i would reckon this will be changed now.

That game can easily be switched to Donnybrook given that Leinster are away in Galway that weekend against Connacht.
Or alternatively the pitch behind the East Stand.

Roo69
28/10/2005, 3:27 PM
Problem solved so, or even switched to the RDS

Schumi
28/10/2005, 3:31 PM
Lansdowne game would be played on the back pitch presumably.

Poor Student
28/10/2005, 3:32 PM
In that case I'll try to be there. I wasn't going to even bother to try and get a ticket if it was in Tolka as I'd be stealing a Cork or Drogs fan's ticket if I managed to get one. I urge as many neutral Dubs (even from as far as Bray) or even any non-Dubs to turn up and help give Irish football a decent looking show piece.

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 3:34 PM
In that case I'll try to be there. I wasn't going to even bother to try and get a ticket if it was in Tolka as I'd be stealing a Cork or Drogs fan's ticket if I managed to get one. I urge as many neutral Dubs (even from as far as Bray) or even any non-Dubs to turn up and help give Irish football a decent looking show piece.
I am going to watch the curtain raiser... the Women's Cup Final.... :D

manic da hoop
28/10/2005, 3:45 PM
Lansdowne play all their matches on the back pitch nowadays AFAIK

dcfcsteve
28/10/2005, 4:50 PM
"...once two of the best supported clubs in the country qualified for the final, the FAI moved quickly to facilitate the number of fans expected".

That's a bit generous to the Drogs, to be fair. I wouldn't put them in the top half of the Premier in terms of attendances/support. Good to see the FAI putting a bit of spin on things though...

Soko
28/10/2005, 5:54 PM
Lansdowne play all their matches on the back pitch nowadays AFAIK

Spot on, be more worried about the 3 internationals on during November.

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 8:03 PM
Good news, I think I will be heading along to that as a neutral... :)

Rebal Boy
28/10/2005, 9:32 PM
If I am to get a train from Cork to Dublin Hus, will the Laus take me out to Landsdowne or near enough to it?

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 9:39 PM
If I am to get a train from Cork to Dublin Hus, will the Laus take me out to Landsdowne or near enough to it?

Get the Luas to Connolly and then the Dart to Lansdowne.

Rebal Boy
28/10/2005, 9:48 PM
Get the Luas to Connolly and then the Dart to Lansdowne.

Cheers.:) I can get all this for free cause I have a Companion pass.:) :cool: All I have to pay for is, Match tickets a program and grub.;)

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 9:52 PM
Cheers.:) I can get all this for free cause I have a Companion pass.:) :cool: All I have to pay for is, Match tickets a program and grub.;)

No pints? :eek: Have a good day, I will be there as a Cork fan for the day.

Cosmo
28/10/2005, 9:56 PM

Didn't know craptown was now in county cork :confused:

Sure it'd be handy enough for you to get the special drogs train from drogheda ;)

Rebal Boy
28/10/2005, 10:01 PM

I'll have one or two alright. I'm only 17 lads. I know alot of people my age drink, but you don't have to have beer to have fun.

Cosmo
28/10/2005, 10:05 PM
I'll have one or two alright. I'm only 17 lads. I know alot of people my age drink, but you don't have to have beer to have fun.

Of course you do - you know that peer pressure all the teachers and councillors at school tell you is bad - well the truth is they're talking sh!te - alcohol is good and your mates are only looking out for ye - the more ye have, the happier you'll be :) - seriously try it :D

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 10:18 PM
Didn't know craptown was now in county cork :confused:

Sure it'd be handy enough for you to get the special drogs train from drogheda ;)

No special Drogs train needed thank you, I don't live too far from Lansdowne. Should be a good game, looking forward to seeing a good turnout. I assume you will be able to pay in at the gate? As long as I don't end up in the middle of a load of Drogs fans in my Dundalk jersey I'm sure I will have a good day no matter who wins. :D

Cosmo
28/10/2005, 10:24 PM
As long as I don't end up in the middle of a load of Drogs fans in my Dundalk jersey

In fairness, i hope you're not that thick :eek:

holidaysong
28/10/2005, 10:29 PM
In fairness, i hope you're not that thick :eek:

Lol, god no! :eek: - I value my personal safety :)

monkey magic
29/10/2005, 3:36 PM
doubt ill get to go but will deffo be watchin...

no doubt a silent tear or two will be shed as ye b@stards take our baby from us...:(

thejollyrodger
29/10/2005, 7:24 PM
how many will turn up ?

Buller
29/10/2005, 7:30 PM
im guessing around 16,000
8 or 9,000 from cork
4,000 from drogs
Couple of thousand nuetrals...

harry crumb
30/10/2005, 1:05 AM
16,000 would be excellent.

With a reasonable ticket pricing structure and a bit of marketing maybe an extra few thousand on top of that.

And by marketing I dont mean the two managers with the cup in some golf course 2 days before the final.

An intensive campaign for the weeks after the league season is what should be done.

ndrog
30/10/2005, 3:06 PM
Gonna be well more than 4000 drogs at this match.We had 4000 people at the semi.There is a serious buzz around this game.Its 29 years for feck sake! everyone and there granny is going down to dub for this.:)

dcfcsteve
30/10/2005, 3:26 PM
With good weather on the weekend, I reckon the Final could get up to 20,000.

A lot of this depends on how many of the famous Rebel Army show-up on the day. I reckon there could be 10-12,000 from Cork at best, 6,000ish from Drogs, and then up to 2,000 'neutrals'.

As there's no pressure at all on ticket availability, a lot will genuinely depend on the weather though. If it's crap that weekend and forceast to be bad for the game, a good few hundred, or possibly thousands, will be trimmed off the figure. Never underestimate the power of people making last minute decisions to go (e.g. someone in the pub the night before deciding to go along for the craic). If the weather's good (fingers crossed) the aul last minute decision becomes easier to make...