PDA

View Full Version : Player of the Season

Ruairi
28/10/2005, 12:04 PM
So now that we're facing into the penultimate game of the season time to start guaging opinions..

simple... who's player of the season?

poll will close after derry city game

Roar

Ruairi
28/10/2005, 12:07 PM
benno for me anyway, the guy's been a rock at the back.

patsh
28/10/2005, 12:48 PM
Tough call. I found it hard to decide between Benno and Mickey D, and I think Danny has a great claim as well, but went for Super Keeper in the end.

Fair_play_boy
28/10/2005, 1:06 PM
Sign of a good team / squad that makes it difficult to choose. I would like to nominate the back four because their defensive record is quality. The midfield combinations changed a lot, and there were enough dodgy performances to lower them down the food chain a bit, in spite of Joey's consistent high standards. Up front, the finishing was not good (enough of the time) to merit a collective nomination from me. If the forwards linked as well with midfield, and played with as much determination and guts as Liam Kearney, they would get my collective nomination. But forget all that. Player of the season for me by a country mile, for his outstanding performances, and for his consistency even after injury, is MICK DIVINE.

Éanna
28/10/2005, 1:18 PM
Most impossible to chose. I went for Danny Murphy in the end, just about. Devine and Benno joint 2nd and Georgie and Hoggy were in with a shout too. To be honest, most of them deserve it, they've all been fantastic.

ccfcgirl
28/10/2005, 1:41 PM
I went for Devine but I do think Danny Murphy is up there aswell.

James
28/10/2005, 3:19 PM
devine by a nose from danny murphy

Schunter Netz
28/10/2005, 11:48 PM
It might be unfashionable to say it, but Dan Murray has been outstanding this season. Neale Fenn, like Murray, has also risen from a position of being abused by some myopic fans to have a fantastic season during which he seems to have really grasped what it is to play for City. However, Alan Bennett has become an absolute roadblock in a defence that hates giving away goal chances, never mind actual goals. In a few short years, he has gone from headless chicken midfielder to irreplaceable centre half and deserves the player of the year. Long may he continue to improve!

A face
29/10/2005, 2:08 PM
I went for Gamble .... i know the players above have been brilliant but i just think that Gamble made a difference, when he was suspended/injuried during the season ... it was a different team with out him. What he adds to the team, allows all the other players have good games.
Mick Devine has been a legend and would definitely have been my next choice, fair play to him he turned one or two games with a few saves this season.
Very hard this year as lots of players have been great.

Rebal Boy
29/10/2005, 9:53 PM
I voted for Mick. He has been superb this season. GO ON YA MICKY BIY!

RedX
30/10/2005, 1:31 PM
There is a song sung in the shed about a team of John O Flynns...great song but i must say there is only one player i would like at every position and his name is Danny Murphy...he has it all..Heart/Commitment/Skill...true spirit of Cork City FC..:)

ccfcman
01/11/2005, 9:14 AM
dunno bout george's votes :/

id go for gamble, he's been a proper midfield hard man this season and sprayed passes around for fun

Peadar
01/11/2005, 9:49 AM
It's great that we have such difficulty deciding between so many quality players.

My decision was influenced by one major factor.
For a few years we've been citing our lack of a midfield general as a key factor in out failure to land silverware. We looked enviously at Kevin Hunt like pennyless kids, outside a sweet shop window. Then we signed Joe Gamble.

As you'd expect, he took a little time to settle, but now he's the best player in the eircom League. His distrubution is fantastic and his attitude is totally professional. He's so strong when he's on the ball that he can take the time to pick his pass. Got forward last night and was unlucky not to score. Then he's back winning the ball on the edge of our box and feeding it forward for a quick counter attack.

He is as good now as Kevin Hunt was and gets better by the game. If he was missing for a game you'd see why I rate his contribution so highly.

ccfcman
01/11/2005, 11:11 AM
but now he's the best player in the eircom League

George's ego would argue with this :D

But I agree that he is right up there as one of the best if not the best player in the league.

He is as good now as Kevin Hunt was and gets better by the game. If he was missing for a game you'd see why I rate his contribution so highly.

Far suppassing Kevin Hunt at this satage IMO

Ruairi
26/11/2005, 4:44 PM
Looks like Super Keeper won it :)

pete
27/11/2005, 4:55 PM
I think Devine will best keeper in the league has been sitting behind a brilliant defense so maybe not tested so much in the league.

I often criticise George but thats just because of the high standards he has set himself. I'm torn between George & Gamble, Danny Murphy has been great since his suspension earlier in the season but fullback isn't a vital position.