PDA

View Full Version : Children invited to design a mascot for Galway United

Terry
27/10/2005, 1:28 PM
BY UNA SINNOTT

Manchester United has Fred the Red, Chelsea has Stamford the Lion, and soon Galway United will have its own larger-than-life mascot cheering the team on from the sidelines. The children of Galway are being invited to come up with ideas for the new mascot, and the best design will be turned into a mascot outfit by the creative costume makers at Macnas.

The new mascot will be launched at the beginning of next season, and it is hoped the character will prove a hit with fans and help to boost local support for the team as part of a new marketing plan for the club.

The winner of the mascot competition will be a VIP guest at the team's first home game next season, walking out onto the pitch with the players and helping to launch the new mascot. A party for 10 people at Supermac's and a bag of Galway Utd goodies also await the person who comes up with the most exciting design.

"What we would like to see is a name and a drawing of the mascot," said Fearghal Murphy of the Galway Utd marketing team. "It can be anything that you want, from an animal to a made-up creature. It just has to be fun and colourful. Our friends at Macnas are going to help us build the winning idea."

The team are hoping for some wild and wonderful ideas which can be brought to life by Macnas for use at home games. The new mascot will also be incorporated in club merchandise and appear at public events around the city.

The competition is open to everyone from five to 11 years old, and entries must be in by Wednesday November 9. Entries should be marked Galway United mascot competition and can be sent to Galway United, Drum Soccer Park, Rahoon, or by e-mail to info@galwayunitedfc.ie

sligoman
27/10/2005, 1:56 PM
The competition is open to everyone from five to 11 years old, and entries must be in by Wednesday November 9.I might have a go at that myself:rolleyes: :D

galwaygirl
28/10/2005, 8:12 AM
..The competition is open to everyone from five to 11 years old...

I might have a go at that myself:rolleyes: :D
sligoman, i never realised you were that young :D

sligoman
28/10/2005, 1:27 PM
sligoman, i never realised you were that young :DI'm not but sure didn't Homer Simpson enter a kids competition at the nuclear plant in the Simpsons, and he won it too;) :D

jambo08
28/10/2005, 5:58 PM
what age you galway girl

Terry
29/10/2005, 7:23 AM
OH my GOD !!!!! Jambo08 you dont ask the female species what age they are ! :)

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 9:05 AM
Well if it means more kids turn up at Terryland Park, good move by Galway United.

1 9 2 8
29/10/2005, 10:08 AM
Well what ever they come up with it can't be as bad as Dundalk's

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 10:11 AM
Well what ever they come up with it can't be as bad as Dundalk's

I haven't been to Oriel Park to see Dundalk men's team play for a while.
Go on tell us about that one...:D

galwaygirl
01/11/2005, 8:14 AM
OH my GOD !!!!! Jambo08 you dont ask the female species what age they are ! :)
Thank you Terry :D ;) :D

Jambo, let's just say i'm too old to enter the competition :D

garykelly
02/11/2005, 3:08 PM
an excellent idea and the way clubs should be going in this country. i.e turning the whole match day into an entertaining product.

Well done to ye & hope it works out.