PDA

View Full Version : My PC

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 9:18 AM
Is proper fooked! Its running so slow it may as well be going backwards, its crap, takes a bleedin' age to do anything! Anyone have any ideas, or know how to fix it, it really wrecking my head!!!

finlma
27/10/2005, 9:30 AM
CTRL+ALT+DEL

Alternatively turn it off and turn it back on again. ;)

Green Tribe
27/10/2005, 9:44 AM
Sorry, Me + Computers = no clue.

There are plenty of computer experts:eek: on here who will help no doubt!

the 12 th man
27/10/2005, 9:54 AM
Wouldn't be too well up meself but I would imagine First question is going to be how old is your computer ?.

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 9:55 AM
ya

c:\format c:

go to your bios set your cd rom as your boot drive, then insert your windows cd and reinstall everything again, it will run a treat after reinstalling everything.

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 9:57 AM
pm me and i will give you some more advice if you want, btu seriouslly reinstalling is the handiest and quickest way to do it, it will be all dont in an hour.

tetsujin1979
27/10/2005, 10:52 AM
Defragment the hard drive, clear out the temp directory and the temporary internet files directory.
Delete/Burn to CD any files or games you don't use anymore, if there's not much space on the hard drive, Windows has less space to use as swap space instead of memory
If it abysmally slow, there may be spyware or viruses running on the machine, run a virus check on it and also run one of the anti-spyware programs on it
Also try running a registry mechanic program on it, if it's gone too big or has invalid links in, it can slow your machine down. Mate of mine uninstalled Winzip, but the link in the context menu to zip a program still remained, took an age to figure out that's what was causing the problem

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 11:21 AM
Ok, I did the CD-ROM thinkg a couple of weeks ago, slight improvement, ran all adware and spywear checks, my computer is just under 2 years old!

Wtf does defragment mean???

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 11:38 AM
no dred, i mean delete everything from your machine. its prolly spyware, a couple of mates have had the same problems i have found out the issues and removed but the handiest thing is just delete everything format the whole pc and reinstall.

what tets is on about is going to accessories -> system tools - defragment realistically this does feck all. there is no point spending an age on it, just format everything and reinstall. make sure you back up anything you need.

Ash
27/10/2005, 12:26 PM
Wtf does defragment mean???

Defrag kinda rewrites parts of files to sectors to speed up access times etc.

Go to Start Menu --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools
and run a defrag from there. Could take a long time to run but should speed
things up in the end

Green Tribe
27/10/2005, 2:06 PM
How's it going? You're on here, so obviously you have found the 'on' button!! :D

Troy.McClure
27/10/2005, 3:17 PM
Go here (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/90911/wo/D07OaiN93Cfa2sRkv0G2wJjkIk2/0.SLID?nclm=iMacG5&mco=5D17DE8) and forget about all that Bill Gates malarkey :)

nephin
27/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Only format your hard drive as a last resort. Can be a hassle re-installing windows if you haven't done it before. Pretty good advice from tetsujin1979. Have you ran a virus check and run anti-spyware software as tetsujin1979 sugessted? Let us know how you get on

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 3:44 PM
Thansk for all suggestions, most I'd done before i.e. adware/ spyware scans, virus scans etc., don't know whats up, when I get home from work I'll try a few more things, its just so slow!

Gareth said he'd come over and help, but he never did because he's a flithy, camera, thieving liar :D :D

He obviously hasn't been on this forum for a while!!!

Peadar
27/10/2005, 3:46 PM
Gareth said he'd come over and help, but he never did...

I'll call over and fix it good for you! :D

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 3:48 PM
You do know what I won't give in return, don't you??? I've PM'd Gar this thread, that should put a rocket up his arse!

Peadar
27/10/2005, 3:50 PM
...that should put a rocket up his arse!

Right, I retract my offer.
You never said anything about shoving something up my arse in return! :eek: :D

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 3:58 PM
Hahaha :D You'r more then welcome to fix it for me if that is a valid offer Peadar!!

RonnieB
27/10/2005, 4:20 PM
formatting is rather drastic. A good virus scan and spyware scan. You can do a free online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Spybot and adaware are worth looking up. However certain spyware/malware will always hide itself in cases making using the programs pointless. Download a copy of Hijack This as well and run it and save the log and post it. Might show what is starting on yer machine. Get it from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html also has a nice program called CW shredder very handy for destroying the basterd that is coow web search.

Lionel Ritchie
27/10/2005, 4:45 PM
Just to add to what tetsujin1979 said: You do indeed need to clear out your temp and temporary internet files directory (it might ask you do you want to delete "cookies" when you go to do the latter - say NO for safety sake.) and by the sound of things you most certainly do need to defragment your hard drive BUT depending on the size of your hard drive it can take ages (you say your machine is 2 years old so I'm guessing it's about 40GB - 60GB hard drive.) Defragmenting is much faster if you do it in SAFE MODE -which is a diagnostic mode that lets windows run on minimum resources.

To start in Safe Mode:

Reboot (turn it off then turn it back on -hope I'm not being pedantic)
While it's rebooting hold down Ctrl -it should* offer you a menu including
1. normal mode
2. MS-DOS
3. Safe Mode

-select Safe Mode
-when it's finished booting follow Ash' instructions of defragmenting.

*in the event you get a message up saying "stuck key" release the Ctrl key briefly and press it again. If it asks you to press Esc to continue -do so -it should proceed to the start up options from which you'll select safe mode.

Finally -on some systems (particularly older ones) it's F7 rather than the Ctrl key you press while booting to get the safe mode option.

For the life of me I'll never understand why they dont just put it in the start-up/shut down options along with Restart or log off or Stand By.

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 5:06 PM
Ok, hang on, I'll try that!

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 5:08 PM
im telilng ye again, formatting is far quicker than defragmenting and you will be suprised how much sh1te you pick up over the 2 years that you never hardly used and never will again.

defragmenting works for about a week or two and after that it starts to slow down again. anyhow horses for courses.

strangeirish
27/10/2005, 5:21 PM
Just buy a new one.

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 5:37 PM
ya strangeirish good thinking, very good idea.

dred ill buy yours off you to help you on your way, #150

Lionel Ritchie
27/10/2005, 5:51 PM
im telilng ye again, formatting is far quicker than defragmenting and you will be suprised how much sh1te you pick up over the 2 years that you never hardly used and never will again.

defragmenting works for about a week or two and after that it starts to slow down again. anyhow horses for courses.

Paul that's plain silly -formatting is basically giving the machine a labotomy. it means EVERYTHING has to be re-installed because the slate has been wiped clean. You're trying to fix a cuckoo clock with a sledge-hammer mate.

I don't know what DR uses his PC for but it's a huge amount of trouble to go to for the sake of a good clean up. I've had to format a machine once in five years -because a sound card was corrupt -and there was simply no other way -but that's the only time you format -as an absolute last resort.

As you say-defragmenting does only work for a couple of weeks and then the machine will start to slow down again - that's why under System Tools you have "Scheduled Tasks" so you can schedule a defragment to run every week, fortnight, month whatever. (I defrag every fortnight and let the machine run over night to do it)

Gareth
27/10/2005, 6:17 PM
Its ok I will take his pc and fix it. That really ends all talk on thisi thread. I am muchly good at this stuff and will have it ship shape in no time. Roy. I will have your computer on Friday thanking you. I am the bestest.

Peadar
27/10/2005, 6:45 PM
I will have your computer on Friday thanking you. I am the bestest.

Hope that rocket doesn't hurt! :D

crc
27/10/2005, 7:01 PM
Gareth said he'd come over and help, but he never did because he's a flithy, camera, thieving liar :D :DHas anyone read 'Eats, shoots, and leaves'? I didn't know Gareth was a camera!:cool:

Green Tribe
27/10/2005, 8:02 PM
Hope that rocket doesn't hurt! :D

yeah, take it easy on him Drum Red....:eek: :D

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 8:15 PM
Its ok I will take his pc and fix it. That really ends all talk on thisi thread. I am muchly good at this stuff and will have it ship shape in no time. Roy. I will have your computer on Friday thanking you. I am the bestest.

Now Gareth, I'll be leaving for the boozer at about quarter to seven, remember we've got a snore fest in Tolka tomorrow!!!

I de-frigged, or whatever the hell its called, when you said it would take a while, I thought you meant about 15 minutes, not 3 1/2 hours!!! :eek:

To answer your question, I'm not the only user so I can't just delete everything...

Gareth
28/10/2005, 8:38 AM
Drums, have passwords written out, have the box disconnected and it all depends when I get my car back from the service. If its at home when I get there I will get your pc before the game. If its not, then I need to find a car to drive to get the pc. I am doing live updates from Tolka tonight and I will attempt to fix your pc afterwards whilst you go out and have fun. If I hear mention of rockets or cameras I'll batter you. Did you forget you owed me loads of money, then halved the amount by transfering the debt to a fella who lives in oz and did you even ever pay me back? :)

P.s Don't do ANYTHING to your pc. Leave it be and I'll fix it. You "fixing" it could lead to making it irrepairable :)

Drumcondra Red
28/10/2005, 8:57 AM
I said I'd get you that money!!! Its not my fault he left the country!!! Give me a ring before anyway, let me know whats going on, just to be clear, no cables or anything needed???

Gareth
28/10/2005, 9:49 AM
No cables needed roy bar ONE power cable for the laugh of it. I will ring. Everything is in the air at the moment based on vehicle acquiring!! :) Then I will fix your computer. As for the money, your a bad man :)

paul_oshea
28/10/2005, 9:56 AM
he is a friend gareth would you not let him off???

btw i hope you aint charging him for this.

Gareth
28/10/2005, 9:59 AM
As a friend, I have bought him many pints, lent him much money, allowed my gf to save his life and I am not charging him for fixing his pc. What do I get in return, a possible rocket attack!! :)

paul_oshea
28/10/2005, 12:00 PM
allowed my gf to save his life

thought you were going to say something else there for a min!!! ;) :D

Drumcondra Red
28/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Shhh Paul, he doesn't know about that!!! Gareth, I have bought you many pints in return also! Those few you buy when you're p.issed don't count, because I tell you not to buy them!

Gareth
28/10/2005, 12:16 PM
You bought me pints??????? :)

Drumcondra Red
28/10/2005, 3:49 PM
Yes, I did!!! :mad: several!!! Just because you bought me multiple pints when I got my results isn't my fault, its yours!

Drumcondra Red
03/11/2005, 8:01 PM
Ok, I'm back and faster then ever, just like Billy Whizz ('member, the beano??) anyway, cheers Gar!!!