PDA

View Full Version : Irish Citizenship question?

Krstic
26/10/2005, 1:08 PM
To settle an argument at work.

Can anyone tell me if the change in the law to gaining Irish Citizenship will in the long run mean that People born in Northern Ireland will no longer have automatic rights to a passport.

Cheers.

hoops1
26/10/2005, 1:20 PM
I presume you are talking about the changes brought about from the
good friday agreement if so
As far as im aware it just means we have taken out the part of our constitution that says we own the six counties. But its up to the individual
which passport they carry be it British or Irish.
So in effect we no longer claim to own the six countys but the British recognise our citizens in the north that are "Irish"
But I am open to correction

dcfcsteve
26/10/2005, 1:44 PM
To settle an argument at work.

Can anyone tell me if the change in the law to gaining Irish Citizenship will in the long run mean that People born in Northern Ireland will no longer have automatic rights to a passport.

Cheers.

The answer is no. The law still recognises the right to citizenship of people born in the island of Ireland to parent(s) born in the island of Ireland.

Krstic
26/10/2005, 1:48 PM
DCFCSteve, I'm hoping you'll know the answer to this cause I'm a bit thick.

What if you are born outside Ireland to a parent born in Northern Ireland, who has never had an Irish passport????

Are you still entitled???

dcfcsteve
26/10/2005, 2:04 PM
DCFCSteve, I'm hoping you'll know the answer to this cause I'm a bit thick.

What if you are born outside Ireland to a parent born in Northern Ireland, who has never had an Irish passport????

Are you still entitled???

Yes. Your entitlement to a passport is not affected by your decision on whether or not you or your parents took-up that entitlement.

The right to Irish citizenship was not tied-up with the recently amended Articles 2 and 3 of the constitution. Article 9 of Bunreacht na'hEireann deals with citizenship, but is suitably wooly (saying that citizenship is available to whoever the law decides). However - the law is clear that anyone born in the ISLAND of Ireland, to one or more parents who are from the ISLAND of Ireland is entitled to citizenship.

I can't think of any footballing examples of a 2/3G who declared for the Republic solely/primarily through Northern Irish ancestry, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one from the 80's.

Dodge
26/10/2005, 2:05 PM
Citizenship Info in .pdf (http://www.justice.ie/80256E010039E882/vWeb/flJUSQ68YKAJ-en/$File/ConsolidationINCA.pdf)
Page 5 of this, states that children born on the island of Ireland to Irish or British citizens, or citizens given unconditional permission to leave in Northern Ireland, are entitled to Irish citizenship

The language is complicated but basically, the aswer is no. There's no real changes for kids born in Northern Ireland. Unless both of their parents are neither Irish nor British. In which case... ah **** it, I've told what you wanted...

ps... All the legislation... (http://www.justice.ie/80256E010039E882/vWeb/pcNPOK5UUNTU-en)

Krstic
26/10/2005, 2:31 PM
Thanks lads, question answered.

dcfcsteve
26/10/2005, 3:13 PM
Hope you had money riding on it Krstic....! :D