PDA

View Full Version : RDS tipped to stage Cup decider

Pages : [1] 2

A face
25/10/2005, 3:59 PM
RDS tipped to stage Cup decider

The RDS venue in Ballsbridge is regarded as the favourite to stage this season’s FAI Carlsberg Cup final between Drogheda United and Double-chasing Cork City, it emerged on Monday night.

The FAI had provisionally pencilled in the game for Tolka Park last week, but fears are growing that the Drumcondra stadium’s 9,000-capacity would not be sufficient to cater for the interest in the game.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/faicup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19684)

hoops1
25/10/2005, 4:40 PM
It should be Lansdowne or Tolka
The RDS is a terrible ground to watch a match
especially if there is a big crowd

Peadar
25/10/2005, 4:44 PM

Damn right it's terrible! It was never designed for big football crowds.
The FAI are determined to spoil our big day. :mad:

A face
25/10/2005, 4:47 PM
You see ... this is the problem !!

With Lansdowne Road not regarded as viable to some members within the Association after a disappointing crowd at last year’s decider between Longford Town and Waterford United, the RDS has emerged as the most realistic alternative to Tolka Park.

We have to put up with these fúckers and their cráp attitude !! :rolleyes: :(

There is no way the clubs can go over their heads anyway i suppose !!

pete
25/10/2005, 5:46 PM
In the IT today they speculated that the FAI just assumed Lansdowne would be unavailable & booked Tolka but allowed that they could also change at later stage...

Peadar
25/10/2005, 5:55 PM
...Lansdowne Road not regarded as viable to some members within the Association...

It's up to the FAI to make it viable.

Back it!
Promote it!
Sell it!

This is your Blue Ribband competition, you've failed at almost everything this year, why not break with tradition and make this your one success!?

Get Lansdowne, reduce the ticket prices to make them affordable for families and school kids, then get them out early to the clubs involved.

Show that you actually care about Irish football.

Bald Student
25/10/2005, 5:58 PM
By 'viable' I presume they mean that they could make more money elsewhere. For an event like the cup final which is televised and given a lot of media coverage profit on the gate should be considered secondary.

The Good Son
25/10/2005, 6:21 PM
It should be Lansdowne or Tolka
My memories of the RDS are mostly good.I remember when Rovers played there it was always an away trip I'd look forward to. City always seemed to do well there (maybe that's my memory playing tricks with me), the exception being the last match of Rovers last league winning season. I think it was 2-0 to Rovers, they'd wrapped up the league the week before or maybe two weeks before.The same day was an enjoyable day despite the constant slagging from the Rovers crowd before the match in The Horseshow(?) Bar, and at half time around the ground selling "No More Plastic Pitches" getting loads of abuse but selling a load at the same time. I remember it being not a bad spot to watch a match, although the away support was in the seated section on the top tier, the terrace on the lower tier, where the Rovers crowd based themselves, I presume wasn't the best for watching football.Of course Citys finest moment was also at the RDS so maybe that's helping my rose tinted memories of the place. So bottom line I'd have no problem playing in the RDS, the only time we played in Lansdowne Road the atmosphere was like what you'd experience in Queenstown for a match against CHF on a Monday afternoon, and I still have nightmares about Lucifer Tilson.

Cosmo
25/10/2005, 6:28 PM
It's up to the FAI to make it viable.

Back it!
Promote it!
Sell it!

This is your Blue Ribband competition, you've failed at almost everything this year, why not break with tradition and make this your one success!?

Get Lansdowne, reduce the ticket prices to make them affordable for families and school kids, then get them out early to the clubs involved.

Show that you actually care about Irish football.

Totally agree - i hope theres reasonably priced family tickets anyway!!

ColinR
25/10/2005, 6:36 PM
Totally agree - i hope theres reasonably priced family tickets anyway!!

yeah, but which end would you have to go to with your family ticket ;)

mypost
25/10/2005, 6:40 PM
My memories of the RDS are mostly good. City always seemed to do well there (maybe that's my memory playing tricks with me), the exception being the last match of Rovers last league winning season. I think it was 2-0 to Rovers, they'd wrapped up the league the week before or maybe two weeks before Of course Citys finest moment was also at the RDS so bottom line I'd have no problem playing in the RDS.

Going back down memory lane at the RDS, against Cork, what will we find? I think you'll find there was more than one exception to your record against us there.

How about in January 1991, when an apparantly invincible Cork side came up to our gaff, on a mammoth unbeaten streak, and were walloped
4-0! :p Barry O' Connor helped himself to two great goals, assisted by a penalty miss by Dave Barry.

Or how about in September 1994, when the '93, and '94 champs met at the RDS, only for the Southerners to go home on the end of a 3-0 kicking!!! :p

Or how about the second last league game at the venue in '96, when Cork came up, and went down 2-0. :p

Our win in '94 that you refer to, was just 4 days after we won the league that season, winning the title in the end by 7 points. We won at the RDS against Cork, more times than we lost. :D

The Good Son
25/10/2005, 6:45 PM
Going back down memory lane at the RDS, against Cork, what will we find? I think you'll find there was more than one exception to your record against us there.

How about in January 1991, when an apparantly invincible Cork side came up to our gaff, on a mammoth unbeaten streak, and were walloped
4-0! :p Barry O' Connor helped himself to two great goals, assisted by a penalty miss by Dave Barry.

Or how about in September 1994, when the '93, and '94 champs met at the RDS, only for the Southerners to go home on the end of a 3-0 kicking!!! :p

Or how about the second last league game at the venue in '96, when Cork came up, and went down 2-0. :p

Our win in '94 that you refer to, was just 4 days after we won the league that season, winning the title in the end by 7 points. We won at the RDS against Cork, more times than we lost. :D
Did you have to ruin my happy memories mypost?
I should have also said that there was always a good quantity of alcohol consumed in them days, hence never rembering the times we lost, when consumption increased in accordance.

mypost
25/10/2005, 6:56 PM
Did you have to ruin my happy memories mypost?

:D Sorry :D

I should have also said that there was always a good quantity of alcohol consumed in them days, hence never rembering the times we lost,

Never remembering the times you lost, never changed the result either! :D

fbtn
25/10/2005, 7:56 PM
I remember a classic cup tie between Harps and Rovers there. Haven't a clue of the date, late 80s maybe?

4-3 to Rovers after we had taken the lead twice. Rovers had a great side at the time and we were struggling in Division One but big Con McLaughlin was on fire for us up front and Declan McIntyre was outstanding in nets - even if he did conceed 4! Think Vinny Arkins scored a hat-trick that day.

Maybe some Rovers fan remembers more clearly.

Oh aye, Yorkie sponsored the game and all the kids got free Yorkie bars :)

crc
25/10/2005, 8:01 PM
Did Ireland play the US in the RDS in the early 1990s? I have a vague memory in the back of my head. I think Staunton scored a free-kick and we won 4-1 (but I could be completely wrong).

Sheridan
25/10/2005, 8:05 PM
Did Ireland play the US in the RDS in the early 1990s? I have a vague memory in the back of my head. I think Staunton scored a free-kick and we won 4-1 (but I could be completely wrong).
That was at Lansdowne, I think they played Wales at the RDS circa 1992, and lost 0-1.

Drumcondra Red
25/10/2005, 8:11 PM
Wasn't that game against Wales a 7-a-side or something, also remember playing Wales in Tolka in the early 90's???

Peadar
26/10/2005, 9:03 AM
We won at the RDS against Cork, more times than we lost. :D

No fear of you beating us there again anytime soon, since you were booted out of the place and you're not in the FAI Cup Final.

Hecko
26/10/2005, 9:21 AM
Just being realistic lads, but how many would you get in Landsdowne for this match? Obviously Longford and Waterford aren't exactly the biggest supports, and Cork and Drogs would bring a lot more, but still....

I reckon 10,000-12,000 City max and maybe 5,000-7,000 Drogs and that's being very optimistic on both counts. The game won't get that many neutrals unless the FAI really pushes it. I remember 98 well, and there wasn't exactly a problem getting tickets for Dalyer then.

S, being realistic I reckon the RDS seems a better option than a more than half empty Landsdowne

tiktok
26/10/2005, 9:27 AM
If it in the RDS I'd predict that city will get around 7,500 tickets and Drogheda will get about 4,500 with the remainder spread around sponsors and the other clubs.

The FAI seem to be factoring in average home attendances into their thinking of this and City's is apparently about double Drogs.

I honestly think that's ample. It should ensure a ticket for everyone who's been to the cross for a City match (or who's been to Drogs) this season (that's if it's organised properly).

I think some people are overstating the interest to be honest.

ColinR
26/10/2005, 9:37 AM
If it in the RDS I'd predict that city will get around 7,500 tickets and Drogheda will get about 4,500 with the remainder spread around sponsors and the other clubs.

it might end up like that if we dont sell our allocation, however it would start at 6,000 each. if we are unable to sell our allocation (which would surprise me) then the surplus should be given to the other club (and vice versa)

tiktok
26/10/2005, 9:44 AM
it might end up like that if we dont sell our allocation, however it would start at 6,000 each. if we are unable to sell our allocation (which would surprise me) then the surplus should be given to the other club (and vice versa)

The problem with that scenario is when is it decided that one club hasn't sold their allocation, how would they be passed over? If the tickets are returned to the FAI and put on the gate then you get pockets of CCFC fans among the Drogs crowd.

In any contact any of us have had with the EL/FAI on this, mention has been made of the respective average attendances, while I think the initial intention was to sell the idea of Tolka, they seem to be considering the relative average attendances.

ColinR
26/10/2005, 9:48 AM
In any contact any of us have had with the EL/FAI on this, mention has been made of the respective average attendances, while I think the initial intention was to sell the idea of Tolka, they seem to be considering the relative avergae attendances.

yeah, but i think that is to imply that tolka is good enough to be used for the final - almost double the capicity of the combined average attendances.

both teams are in the final on equal merit, both should be given equal allocations, if either fails to fill them, then tough, but to discriminate prior to the chance to fill their allocation would be a disgrace - (but with the fai you'd never know!)

as for re-allocations - jut simply sell the tickets in blocks of say 500, as you fill one block, sell the next and so on,therefore if you cant sell you allocation, the blocks just pass to the other club

lofty9
26/10/2005, 9:54 AM
who the hell would want to play a cup final in this stadium? A stadium which has no attachment to football whatsoever. The loons at the Fai are taking the ****. It was always a terrible pitch when Rovers played on it. I've heard the players have to get injections to play on it? Any truth? If that's the case Cork's big girls blouse Georgie will not be up for it. He'll be diving at the thought of any physical contact from the needle. Play it at Tolka. Who cares if you are going to upset the barstoolers. Tolka is a great venue for a cup final - with the real fans in attendance - the atmosphere would be incredible. How many can Dalymount hold?

Roverstillidie
26/10/2005, 9:55 AM
No fear of you beating us there again anytime soon, since you were booted out of the place

what are you talking about?

typical corkie, not a clue about the history because he only jumped on the bandwagon 3 years ago

tiktok
26/10/2005, 9:57 AM
both teams are in the final on equal merit, both should be given equal allocations, if either fails to fill them, then tough, but to discriminate prior to the chance to fill their allocation would be a disgrace - (but with the fai you'd never know!)

I wasn't saying that it was fair Colin (though obviously I hope they give us more as it increase my chance of a ticket and our numbers there) I just think it loks like what they will do.

Peadar
26/10/2005, 10:14 AM
typical corkie, not a clue about the history because he only jumped on the bandwagon 3 years ago

Typical rovers muppet, stuck in the past and shouting at everyone else about jumping on the bandwagon.

Leave this conversation to people involved in the FAI Cup Final.

That goes for you too, lofty9. You're out, remember!?

NY Hoop
26/10/2005, 10:30 AM
what are you talking about?

Ignore him he's just got a massive anti Rovers chip on both shoulders. Probably never been to the RDS except watching it from Funderland. Muppet:rolleyes:

We are more than entitled to comment on this cos we played there for 6 years:rolleyes: New owners came in at the end of the 1995/1996 season and moved us to tolka. IMO this was a dreadful mistake........

The Good Son brings back some memories alright and fair play to him for travelling that day when we were crowned Champions. Not many did but despite getting dogs abuse:D there some craic in the Horseshow.

We beat Harps 4-3 in the first round of the Cup in March 1991. Despite it being the best game of the competition rtengland never showed. The following year Ireland played Wales there which was a good coup for the club. Rovers fans made sure barstoolers knew what the story was!

Players in the first season there had an option to go get injections before playing. Far too much was made of this in the media however.

Crowd wise it is more suitable than tolka for a Cup Final. The view from the Anglesea stand was always superb. Not sure about the pitch however and hopefully it will be at Lansdowne.........

KOH

Roverstillidie
26/10/2005, 10:30 AM
Typical rovers muppet, stuck in the past and shouting at everyone else about jumping on the bandwagon.

no peader, post bo.llocks about rovers and rovers fans are entitled to correct you.

we were not 'booted out' of the rds, and if you followed football for more than 10 minuites you would know that.

enjoy it while it lasts, history dictates ccfc will collapse soon enough as you and your chums go back to following hurling and rugby while yet another cork club goes down the tubes.

tiktok
26/10/2005, 10:36 AM
enjoy it while it lasts.

sure we can enjoy it long after any success lasts, look at you :D :D

lofty9
26/10/2005, 2:56 PM

That goes for you too, lofty9. You're out, remember!?

Peader, I'm having a go at the FAI. Nothing to do with DCFC being out of the cup. Actually, as an Eircom League fan I've every right to discuss ANY match that these muppets in the FAI have control over.

Must remember not to discuss the FAI cup final with my friends in the pub tonight as their team is not involved in it. :rolleyes:

BTW Good Luck in the Final.

A face
26/10/2005, 3:10 PM
sure we can enjoy it long after any success lasts, look at you :D :D

.... ha ha !! :p :D

Celdrog
26/10/2005, 3:15 PM
Won't Ollie just love on losing out on the money from not having the final played in Tolka - don't you just love it:) :)

Drumcondra Red
26/10/2005, 3:22 PM
No, thats a stupid point and most possibly the most idiotic first post ever made! Celdrog, hopefully we don't have a load of shyte being posted from you in the future as already you are boring me!

Roverstillidie
26/10/2005, 3:25 PM
No, thats a stupid point and most possibly the most idiotic first post ever made! Celdrog, hopefully we don't have a load of shyte being posted from you in the future as already you are boring me!

oooooohhhh, touchy :D

thejollyrodger
26/10/2005, 3:41 PM
I think the RDS would be a good move... if its good enough for rugby then its good enough for soccer. 1/2 decent capacity too

ndrog
26/10/2005, 4:56 PM
I think celdrog has a valid point about Ollie and shels losing out on the bobs from the cup final.I would presume Ollie and Shels were bargaining on that money for next years budget.Considering how much they have lost out on this season.You can just imagine how happy they are about it.Just rewards for the bull**** we have had to put up with from ollie.;)

Celdrog
26/10/2005, 5:26 PM

Plese explain why it is the most idiotic first post ever.
We have underperformed this season bearing in mind the money we spent but we have a half decent chance of getting some silverware (finally), but you guys also spent big and achieved nothing. You desparately need all possible revenue streams.
Remember the 3-3 game in Tolka recently when your chairman, manager and striker brought great shame upon yourselves (not recognised by Shels fans) . We remember it vividly and anything which causes Shels to fail brings great joy to us most other EL fans.

Now F*** off and enjoy your hurting - it brings a smile to the rest of our faces.

Shelbourne FC - about to become one of the has beens?????

Drumcondra Red
26/10/2005, 5:26 PM
oooooohhhh, touchy :D

As I'm sure you can appriciate, I'm sick of seeing the same old s.hit over and over! We get it, we've been successful and you don't like us, who cares???

I think celdrog has a valid point about Ollie and shels losing out on the bobs from the cup final.I would presume Ollie and Shels were bargaining on that money for next years budget.Considering how much they have lost out on this season.You can just imagine how happy they are about it.Just rewards for the bull**** we have had to put up with from ollie.;)

Yawn! Any proof to back this crap up, remember, finalists in Setanta and European football of sorts next year??? Hmmm sounds fine to me, bet you'd take that!

Roverstillidie
26/10/2005, 5:33 PM
As I'm sure you can appriciate, I'm sick of seeing the same old s.hit over and over! We get it, we've been successful and you don't like us, who cares???

we don't dislike you though, you are irrelevant. we hate bohs, shels and ucd are just rivals.

you reacted badly to the point that oily will not be amused to lose the rental and shop income. then you went mental about no-one liking you? it was a silly reaction DR.....

Celdrog
26/10/2005, 5:34 PM
Yawn! Any proof to back this crap up, remember, finalists in Setanta and European football of sorts next year??? Hmmm sounds fine to me, bet you'd take that![/QUOTE]

Of course we would take it. It wasn't so long ago that we were bottom of the first division. Now we are full time,a couple of years away from moving to a stadium far better than Tolka, in with a chance of winning some silverware, having a chance of not embarrassing the country in Europe like we did last time. And who looks like losing out to some of our success - Shels !!!
Be afraid, very afraid - the balance of power is shifting to the country.

Schumi
26/10/2005, 5:34 PM
we don't dislike you though, you are irrelevant. we hate bohs, shels and ucd are just rivals.
Pre-empting Pats' relegation? :D

Poor Student
26/10/2005, 5:37 PM

What kind of a Rovers fan are you, acknowledgeing UCD as rivals?:eek:

Jerry The Saint
26/10/2005, 5:47 PM
... finalists in Setanta and European football of sorts next year??? Hmmm sounds fine to me...

Seriously:confused: I would have thought every Shels fan would view this season as a HUGE failure. If there hasn't been a major backlash at the way the season's gone then you'd have to say that Ollie's got out of jail on that one.

Peadar
26/10/2005, 6:16 PM
Peader, I'm having a go at the FAI.

lofty9, I just think there are too many people lobbying for various venues when they themselves most likely will not be at the game. To be honest, I'd settle for Tolka but if we can get a bigger ground and fill it then the FAI should back that.

Cosmo
26/10/2005, 6:25 PM

In fairness I was thinking the same as celdrog myself - major plus of it not being played in tolka imo :p

Btw dont forget to get that stuff to me :o

razor
26/10/2005, 9:08 PM
Any News yet?
So much for an announcement tonight

iceman
26/10/2005, 9:25 PM
Would have heard by now if a decision was made tonight. Lets hope they make it before the weekend. Heard an FAI party visited the RDS on Monday.

A face
26/10/2005, 9:52 PM
Heard an FAI party visited the RDS on Monday.

Another junket i suppose !! :rolleyes: :eek:

:p

iceman
26/10/2005, 9:56 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=187985808&p=y87986636&n=187986645&x=