PDA

View Full Version : Best away town in Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3

Block G Raptor
25/10/2005, 2:08 PM
Just like to say Ive been up to Derry about 6 times this year (only once for the match) and I have to say it is best town in Ireland for a wkend on the ****/pull really hope they win the league as I'll be up there that wkend and cant wait to party with people who really know how to have a good time

is this the way to Peadar O'Donnels.............................:D

anyone disagree that derry is the good time capital of Ireland ?
tell me wheres better and remember you cant pick your home town

superfrank
25/10/2005, 2:12 PM
Haven't been to Derry. Drogheda is ok.

coislaoi
25/10/2005, 2:14 PM
It would be Sligo for me with an honourable mentions for Ballybofey and Galway. I hope Sligo are promoted (1 if not 2 trips there next season:D ).

Jaime
25/10/2005, 2:16 PM
Kilkenny :)

NY Hoop
25/10/2005, 2:19 PM
Agree with Derry. Been up there 3 times this year. Super cheap place;)

But the favourite is Galway. Sooner they get back up the better.

KOH

WeAreRovers
25/10/2005, 2:19 PM
Ballybofey, no contest.

KOH

Block G Raptor
25/10/2005, 2:25 PM
never been to ballybofey what's it like for the Birds/Beer

was in kk the same time as the rod stewart gig(no i didnt go to the gig) it was hopping alright but not a patch on derry

Roo69
25/10/2005, 2:26 PM
Galway and Kilkenny, both top spots.

Schumi
25/10/2005, 2:30 PM
Sligo.

Bald Student
25/10/2005, 2:30 PM
Ballybofea.

Speranza
25/10/2005, 2:33 PM
Galway

Cosmo
25/10/2005, 2:35 PM
Ballybofey, no contest.

KOH

Amen to that - f**k that staying in letterkenny sh!te :)

galwaygirl
25/10/2005, 2:36 PM
Would definitely have to say Cork
With Kilkenny in a close second place... :eek:

Drumcondra Red
25/10/2005, 2:43 PM
Has to be Derry, if only for the Brandywell Bar!!!

Block G Raptor
25/10/2005, 2:46 PM
Has to be Derry, if only for the Brandywell Bar!!!
dont forget the bogside inn and peadar odonnels

Terry
25/10/2005, 2:48 PM
Kilkenny

fbtn
25/10/2005, 2:51 PM
Derry is brilliant for a night out. Go out in it often. Not much for an away trip for me right enough as it is only down the road. :)

Have to agree with Galway and Kilkenny. Great places for a good drink. Hopefully I'll not be seeing either next season though. Going to stay in Drogheda after our game in few weeks to sample the local delights! Have usually came home straight after or go on into Dublin. I like a good rip in Dublin every so often as well. Had a belter of a weekend after the Bohs game.

Most away trips in the eircom Leauge are brilliant craic - pity I'm getting a bit awl for it now. Hard to beat you and a load of your mates away for a weekend with a busload of booze to watch your team!

carrickharp
25/10/2005, 2:55 PM
Has to be firstly Galway and secondly Kilkenny for me (hopefuly not next season though).

Dillo
25/10/2005, 2:55 PM
Drumlish and Ballinamuck

Raheny Red
25/10/2005, 3:06 PM
Have to agree with Drumcondra Red about the Brandywell bar. The last time we played up there(last month, the week after rovers) it was great with the banter.
'we are shelbourne, olé, olé, olé'.
Ah the craic was surely had.:)

Cosmo
25/10/2005, 3:12 PM
Have to agree with Drumcondra Red about the Brandywell bar. The last time we played up there(last month, the week after rovers) it was great with the banter.

Is the brandwell bar, the pub at the botton of the hill, more or less across the road from the entrance to the ground?

Colm
25/10/2005, 3:15 PM
Derry or Galway. Both brilliant Cities for a football weekend.

Went out in Ballybofey the first game this year and thought it was fairly rubbish. Went out in Letterkenny after the cup replay up there and thought it was a great spot.

Block G Raptor
25/10/2005, 3:36 PM
Derry has the advantage of no smoking ban (yet) but the down side is no smirting (that's dublinese for smoking/flirting outside the boozer)

Conor H
25/10/2005, 3:43 PM
Kilkenny is the best away trip in the 1st divsion for us IMO.

Peadar
25/10/2005, 3:43 PM
Thought Derry was a bit limited to be honest.
Alright for a night or two but it soon became a case of been there, done that.

Galway is probably the best town for an away trip.
When I lived at home, I used to love the visit to Dublin.

BrayZil
25/10/2005, 3:48 PM
1. Galway
2. Waterford
3. Kilkenny

WeAreRovers
25/10/2005, 3:55 PM
Went out in Ballybofey the first game this year and thought it was fairly rubbish.

Yeah, 24 hour drinking with your mates and a colourful assortment of locals is rubbish alright. :rolleyes:

KOH

joey B
25/10/2005, 4:00 PM
Yeah, 24 hour drinking :rolleyes:

KOH

That old Junction 15 Hospitality:D

Ruairi
25/10/2005, 4:01 PM
Derry, no question.. although one weekend in Longford runs it close i have to say...

Mark Breen
25/10/2005, 4:02 PM
had some great **** up's in Kilkenny, never been for a match ...............:eek:

Block G Raptor
25/10/2005, 4:04 PM
Theres three girls for every man in Derry need I say any more
Can't wait to get back up there

Cosmo
25/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Theres three girls for every man in Derry need I say any more

I might have to consider an overnight trip up there next time so :D

Peadar
25/10/2005, 4:34 PM
Theres three girls for every man in Derry

Sure most of them would struggle with one girl, not to mention 3! :eek: :D

Drumcondra Red
25/10/2005, 4:35 PM
Is the brandwell bar, the pub at the botton of the hill, more or less across the road from the entrance to the ground?

Yeah, think so, yer mans front room at the end of a row of terraced houses! :D

Allez RR, Allez!!!

ccfcgirl
25/10/2005, 4:46 PM
Galway.(Ive never been to Derry)

A face
25/10/2005, 6:28 PM
Derry
Galway
Kilkenny
Sligo

*Alphabetical order* ;)

OneRedArmy
25/10/2005, 7:17 PM
1.Galway
2.Cork
3.Waterford

harpskid
25/10/2005, 7:28 PM
Galway and Kilkenny would top it for me.

Cobh aint bad either...eh Mr T? :D

hoopy
25/10/2005, 8:02 PM
I'd say I speak for about 99% of Hoops fans when I say ballybofey. The locals are genuinely happy to see us, which doesn't happen anywhere else

Bosco
25/10/2005, 8:09 PM
Used to love weekends in cork,havnt been there in a while....

anto eile
25/10/2005, 8:09 PM
ballybofey for me. Hoopys right with his comment above.
like cork,often have a mad drunken trip down there,though the actual city isnt particularly great,just happens to be often enjoyable,especially the old new-year overnighters

anto eile
25/10/2005, 8:10 PM
seeing as derry gets such good recommendations, i mite head up there in a week or two. anyone got tips on pubs/bars/clubs/accomodation etc?

Dazzy
25/10/2005, 8:53 PM
Well the night we played cork in the randy some of their fans seemed to enjoy that cafe at 1 in the morning in shipquay st. best ive been too is Galway, but could be knocked off with my first trip to Cork next month with or without tickets :D

mypost
26/10/2005, 12:52 AM
I'd say I speak for about 99% of Hoops fans when I say ballybofey. The locals are genuinely happy to see us, which doesn't happen anywhere else

Well, you don't speak for me. I don't really like overnighters. Derry is a good trip, along with Galway, and to a lesser extent, Waterford.

My favourite trip is to Longford. Nice place, great ground, would be a lot better though, if the locals got over their Rovers persecution complex, and just left us alone when we're there. That's how it used to be. :o

sligoman
26/10/2005, 1:00 AM
I'm amazed at how many people have said Ballybofey:D. I mean, this has nothing to do with the Harps rivalry or anything but, what in the name of Jaysus has Ballybofey got to offer?:confused:

the only 1
26/10/2005, 1:18 AM

have two be limerick :) :) :) :)

mypost
26/10/2005, 4:50 AM
I'm amazed at how many people have said Ballybofey:D. what in the name of Jaysus has Ballybofey got to offer?:confused:

Nothing, bar a pub, a pub, another pub, more pubs, the odd B&B or two, one Chinese Take Away, and even a football field! :eek: And er, that's it.

hoopy
26/10/2005, 6:12 AM
I forgot, a gang of blokes on an overnighter, the scenery is most important:rolleyes: As I've already stated the difference is that we're made to feel welcome by Harps

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2005, 7:01 AM
Ballybofey for me, I have overnighted there many times.
The people are fantastic delighted with visitors very hospitable
The Harps fans themselves are friendly and it's a bit like Cheers " they're glad you came". Mind you last time I went there we lost 5-1 so I don't wish to repeat that end of it.
The Harps lads were very kind saying things like.... ye were'nt all that bad and when we were 2-0 you hit the woodwork and then we went up and made it 3-0... all of which was true.
But it's a terrible drive home the next day after that result.
I have never overnighted in Derry ( usually stayed in Ballybofey instead..see above) but the women are very attractive( unusually large percentage for this country it has to be said to). Cork is also not bad if you overnight.
Waterford, is like a second home at this stage.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2005, 7:02 AM
Nothing, bar a pub, a pub, another pub, more pubs, the odd B&B or two, one Chinese Take Away, and even a football field! :eek: And er, that's it.

Did you not explore the glory that is Stranorlar?:D