PDA

View Full Version : Best keeper in the league?

Pages : [1] 2

bambi
25/10/2005, 12:22 PM
In my opinion it would have to be Darren Quigley of the students. Very impressive any time ive seen him. Just pips Devine IMO.

Troy.McClure
25/10/2005, 12:24 PM
Mick Devines saves this year have been unbelieveable, especially in Prague. He's the best.

Rover 2 U
25/10/2005, 12:25 PM
Murphy!

Roo69
25/10/2005, 12:28 PM
In my opinion it would have to be Darren Quigley of the students. Very impressive any time ive seen him. Just pips Devine IMO.

Devine has stood out this season. Young keeper would be between Quigley or Murphy, both great prospects

Schumi
25/10/2005, 12:30 PM
Quigley, Devine and Murphy are well ahead of the rest IMO. I'd go with Quigley but then I'm biased!

Roo69
25/10/2005, 12:35 PM
Delaney has done pretty well since getting into the Shels squad as well, Forde with Derry has also had a good season.

Peadar
25/10/2005, 1:29 PM
Devine because he has competed on a different level to all the others this season.

bigmac
25/10/2005, 1:34 PM
Devine IMO. Has been top keeper since he was in Waterford. One player I was really sorry to see go.

Bald Student
25/10/2005, 1:34 PM
I'm going to be harsh and say that Quigley is not tall enough. He doesn't catch enough crosses. He's brilliant at stopping shots but he flaps and punches too often.

sligoman
25/10/2005, 1:48 PM
Threads like these are so stupid imo, I mean, most people are gonna vote for their own keeper:rolleyes:

Poor Student
25/10/2005, 1:50 PM
Russel Payne! I challenge you to nominate a more entertaining keeper to watch who played in the eL this season.;)

Speranza
25/10/2005, 1:53 PM
Russel Payne was a superb keeper with us for a while!

Forde has been superb this season, saving us away to $hels in the cup and home to Cork. Devine has also been fantastic. Both are however prone to rare strange errors. Devine against Harps springs to mind and Forde has dropped a few cathces during the season.

pete
25/10/2005, 1:53 PM
Devine has been way ahead of all others. Murphy has done well but not at high level to notice him Quigley good but again not enough top class action. Devines saves in Prague showed he could rise to big occasion & IMO should be in irish squad.

Where does Nicky Colgan play?

superfrank
25/10/2005, 1:54 PM
Murphy, Forde and Devine.

Risteard
25/10/2005, 2:05 PM
Devine.
Has made a fairly good centre-back pairing look excellent and has won a good 8 to 10 points single-handedly.

2nd place Quigley.
3rd place Biscuits. :D

ColinR
25/10/2005, 2:06 PM
Devine has been way ahead of all others. Murphy has done well but not at high level to notice him Quigley good but again not enough top class action. Devines saves in Prague showed he could rise to big occasion & IMO should be in irish squad.

Where does Nicky Colgan play?

colgan is with barnsley in league 1. (edit: oops sorry wrong div- its actually league 1)

hopefully no cork fan ever gets to manage ireland - through foot.ie i've seen outraged cork fans call for doyle, the drunk-driver, kearney, o'flynn and now devine (i'm probably missing a couple more) to be included in the irish squad :eek:

Troy.McClure
25/10/2005, 2:09 PM
colgan is with barnsley in league 2.

hopefully no cork fan ever gets to manage ireland - through foot.ie i've seen outraged cork fans call for doyle, the drunk-driver, kearney, o'flynn and now devine (i'm probably missing a couple more) to be included in the irish squad :eek:

In the squad, they have all hit some sort of internmational form reciently.

In fairness, Colgan is in the 4th English division, while Devine has played 11 times in Europe over the last year and a half, surely thats worthy of being the 3 choice Irish keeper?

NY Hoop
25/10/2005, 2:15 PM
[QUOTE=Speranza]Russel Payne was a superb keeper with us for a while!

[QUOTE]

Heard he was your POTY a few years back:eek:

Oh we've had a few beauts the last couple of years with Payne and Mooney:D

Anyway best keeper would have to be Devine. Amazing performance in Prague and has been consistently good despite his size.

But Barry Murphy has been a revelation especially considering he had to jump in the deep end after Payne threw the ball in the net at Richmond. Week in week out he has saved us. If Payne was still around we would have been relegated in May:D

KOH

pete
25/10/2005, 2:35 PM
colgan is with barnsley in league 2.

Clearly international class then. :rolleyes:

fbtn
25/10/2005, 2:55 PM
Cullen for us has been outstanding, even though he one of the worst defences in the league in front of him.

Only for himself and McHugh we'd have been relegated a month ago.

Conor H
25/10/2005, 3:46 PM
Alan Gough(our keeper) by far the best in the 1st Divison...has saved us i don't know how many times.:o

Roo69
25/10/2005, 3:52 PM
Cullen for us has been outstanding, even though he one of the worst defences in the league in front of him.

Only for himself and McHugh we'd have been relegated a month ago.

For me one of the more unimpressive keepers ive seen this season id have to say, far to chunky :D

Sam Savic
25/10/2005, 4:45 PM
You can take it from me, and I know about goalkeeping, Barry Murphy is too good for this league. Would definitely make any team in the SPL and will soon be 2nd keeper to Shay Given.
If Rovers had Murphy at the start of the season and if we had our 8 points back ( I know, I know ) and if we had a sensible manager and if we had another few bob we would be ahead of Shels in 3rd spot. That clown Payne cost us 9 points.:mad:

Dyl10
25/10/2005, 5:21 PM
You can take it from me, and I know about goalkeeping, Barry Murphy is too good for this league. Would definitely make any team in the SPL and will soon be 2nd keeper to Shay Given.
If Rovers had Murphy at the start of the season and if we had our 8 points back ( I know, I know ) and if we had a sensible manager and if we had another few bob we would be ahead of Shels in 3rd spot. That clown Payne cost us 9 points.:mad:

Nearly all keepers have one great season! Its just wether they can consistantly do it over a few years that makes them the best keepers as opposed to good keepers

Peadar
25/10/2005, 5:44 PM
Barry Murphy is too good for this league.

He's certainly the busiest keeper in the league anyway, don't know if he's the best.

sfc red
25/10/2005, 7:23 PM
Well if you mean overall, then you can't look too much further than Steve Williams - he's been keeper of the season the last two years and has been the victim of injury and very poor decision-making by Nutsy. But my keeper of the season is Barry Ryan by a mile

crc
25/10/2005, 8:10 PM
In fairness, Colgan is in the 4th English division, while Devine has played 11 times in Europe over the last year and a half, surely thats worthy of being the 3 choice Irish keeper?
Spot on.

anto eile
25/10/2005, 8:16 PM
Barry murphy. best keeper ive seen at Rovers in the 10 years im following the Hoops.

pineapple stu
25/10/2005, 8:17 PM
Probably Devine ahead of Quigley. Murphy's impressed me when I've seen him. Forde has looked very dodgy every time I've seen him though!

bluemovie
25/10/2005, 11:08 PM
Well if you mean overall, then you can't look too much further than Steve Williams - he's been keeper of the season the last two years and has been the victim of injury and very poor decision-making by Nutsy. But my keeper of the season is Barry Ryan by a mile

Surprised it took so long for someone to get the right answer. Williams is consistently the best, with Devine second as far as I'm concerned. Crazy for Shels to drop him when they lost a few games (Crawley, Rogers more culpable). Delaney's not a patch on him.

This season, Barry Ryan has been excellent, Devine brilliant as usual, Barry Murphy is very impressive. I haven't seen enough of Forde to judge. Quigley looks a good shot-stopper too and Chris O'Connor on his day.

Dodge
25/10/2005, 11:14 PM
Have to punt in with Barry ryan. The only reason we're not relegated this season. Superb keeper

Impressed with the Rovers kid aswell

dfx-
25/10/2005, 11:31 PM
Barry Murphy. Without any doubt, by a country kilometre. Anyone who doesn't rate him hasn't seen him, imo.

He's certainly the busiest keeper in the league anyway, don't know if he's the best

The busiest would generally indicate he's the best, Peadar. :rolleyes: The least busy would indicate that the keeper has the best four in front of him. There's a difference.

sligoman
25/10/2005, 11:35 PM
Alan Gough(our keeper) by far the best in the 1st DivisonNot a chance, he's just a big blob in the goals:rolleyes: :p

Soko
26/10/2005, 4:20 AM
To be honest I'm still laughing at Russell Payne, what a legend:)

Lim till i die
26/10/2005, 9:35 AM
Russel Payne! I challenge you to nominate a more entertaining keeper to watch who played in the eL this season.;)

Noel Mooney, absolute nutcase, often worth the admission fee alone :)

As for the Galway fans saying Goughie, hes small, slightly round and very past it. Best keeper in the division is between O'Hara with Sligo and our own Mr. Mooney :ball:

sligoman
26/10/2005, 9:37 AM
Best keeper in the division is between O'Hara with Sligo and our own Mr. Mooney :ball:Agreed;)

Rover 2 U
26/10/2005, 9:45 AM
Noel Mooney, absolute nutcase, often worth the admission fee alone :)

Plus, he has the funniest run in the world! :D

Lim till i die
26/10/2005, 9:47 AM
Plus, he has the funniest run in the world! :D

Hey its not a run, its a proud trot :p :D

Peadar
26/10/2005, 9:49 AM
The busiest would generally indicate he's the best, Peadar. :rolleyes:

You can be busy picking the ball out of the back of the net too, that doesn't mean you're any good.

A couple of good games isn't enough to give the title to Murphy.
Devine, Williams etc. have done it consistently, both at home and in Europe.

tiktok
26/10/2005, 9:54 AM
For some reason there are a genuine number of keepers in contention.

Both Devine for CCFC and Forde for Derry have been instumental in thier clubs' success.

Clubs further down Ryan has been very good for Pat's, O'Connor likewise for Bray and Murphy has been outstanding for Rovers.

Someone mentioned degree of competition, Quigley has been great for UCD and was worth his U21 call-up.

IMO.

1. Devine (I honestly believe he should be in the Irish Squad too, plays at a higher and more consistent level than Colgan, don't see how anyone can argue with that, he's also done it for a number of years at this stage)

2. Murphy (almost single handedly keeping Rovers going for a while there)

3. Quigley

SÓC
26/10/2005, 10:08 AM
I'd have Devine ahead of Murphy but Murphy is some player, you'd feel sorry for him. Any time I've seen him the main fault I've seen is that he doesnt come and claim the ball enough. Both would be ahead of Colgan

What age is he? Will he suffer from turning crap once he leaves Rovers like Mark O'Brien?

NY Hoop
26/10/2005, 10:09 AM
A couple of good games isn't enough to give the title to Murphy.
Devine, Williams etc. have done it consistently, both at home and in Europe.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you were'nt reading here. He's had a hell of a lot more than a couple of good games:rolleyes:

Tiktok makes some good points. Also our ex junkie keeper Ryan was always a good keeper but he made some clangers too and unfortunately they tend to stand out. Away to the scum and against Liberec spring to mind.

KOH

Hibs4Ever
26/10/2005, 10:46 AM
Definitely BARRY RYAN. No doubt about it

pineapple stu
26/10/2005, 12:24 PM
a country kilometre.
:rolleyes:

Good to see Bazza's still very highly rated. Too many players go downhill once they leave UCD, and Baz looked like he was going to join that list when he got banned. Was always a quality keeper for us.

Dyl10
26/10/2005, 1:18 PM
Its the same as always. Its easier to look good in nets for a bad team than it is for a good team. So id give it to forde with out a doubt

pete
26/10/2005, 1:24 PM
Williams was top keeper for last few years but hes was very poor earlier this season which i why i think Devine should get the title.

michaelguineys
26/10/2005, 1:29 PM
colgan is with barnsley in league 1. (edit: oops sorry wrong div- its actually league 1)

No need for the drunk driver comment.
Shouldnt be going into players personal lives but if anybody deserves a second chance its george.
He has turned his life around since then.
No need for the comments, let the man get on with his life.

sligoman
26/10/2005, 1:32 PM
hopefully no cork fan ever gets to manage ireland - through foot.ie i've seen outraged cork fans call for doyle, the drunk-driver, kearney, o'flynn and now devine (i'm probably missing a couple more) to be included in the irish squad :eek:I agree with michaelguineys that drunk driver comment wasn't needed but I agree with you bout the Cork thing. Next thing ya know they'll be wanting our home games in Turners Cross:eek: :rolleyes: :p

Dodge
26/10/2005, 2:12 PM
See nothing wrong with the drunk driver comment. Similar to Ryan being called a junkie or Ollie Byrne being called a convicted criminal.

Hibs4Ever
26/10/2005, 2:49 PM
See nothing wrong with the drunk driver comment. Similar to Ryan being called a junkie or Ollie Byrne being called a convicted criminal.

Was just about to say that myself, suppose its different for a Cork player though:rolleyes: