PDA

View Full Version : Irish in Carling Cup

eirebhoy
25/10/2005, 10:04 AM
I love this cup. :)

Stokes, Cregg and Connolly all in Arsenal squad to play Sunderland. I think Elliott will be rested for Sunderland.
Potter should start (hopefully in the centre) against Palace. Morrison is likely to start for Palace.
Hopefully Timlin starts for Fulham against WBA.
O'Brien should start for Bolton.
Miller will start for Man Utd.

Any other non-established players expected to get a run out?

Peadar
25/10/2005, 10:24 AM
Haven't seen the Reading squad for tonights game against Sheffield United.
Think Shane Long is still injured.
Jon Hayes and Peter Castle could feature.

Hunt and Stack are likely to start.

Peadar
25/10/2005, 11:42 AM
Stokes, Cregg and Connolly all in Arsenal squad to play Sunderland.

Has Connolly declared for Ireland?

TheBoss
25/10/2005, 12:07 PM
He was born in Barnet, so he is English then

Peadar
25/10/2005, 12:19 PM
so he is English then

Oh well, that's that then, no way he can play for Ireland so. :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
25/10/2005, 1:12 PM
Has Connolly declared for Ireland?
Yeah. A bit of googling to confirm:
http://www.ireland-mad.co.uk/news/loadroll.asp?cid=ED91&id=233881

Peadar
25/10/2005, 1:34 PM
Yeah. A bit of googling to confirm

I was thinking that but then he didn't feature in the squad for the qualifiers.
I doubt he'll start tonight though, with Campbell coming back into the side.

eirebhoy
25/10/2005, 1:47 PM
I was thinking that but then he didn't feature in the squad for the qualifiers.
I doubt he'll start tonight though, with Campbell coming back into the side.
I don't even think he against Bulgaria in that so must have pulled out of the squad. Probably a false alarm.

Tenderloins
25/10/2005, 2:47 PM
Daryl Murphy may get a run for Sunderland,Niall Flynn a slight possibility.
Geary for Sheffield Utd
Maros Painter may get another run out for Birmingham V Norwich, Colin Doyle may make the bench for that one.
Depending on how weak a team they play, Darren Gibson might appear for Man Utd.

dr_peepee
25/10/2005, 7:22 PM
Stephen Quinn started for Shefield utd against Reading

Irish_Praha
25/10/2005, 7:44 PM
Stephen Quinn started for Shefield utd against Reading
Is he Alan's younger brother that someone (maybe you) mentioned on here recently?

TheJamaicanP.M.
25/10/2005, 7:53 PM
Is he Alan's younger brother that someone (maybe you) mentioned on here recently?

Yeah, he's supposed to be a great prospect.

Irish_Praha
25/10/2005, 8:30 PM
Just seen that Paul Heffernan came on with 15 mins to go and scored a brace for Doncaster. Thornton almost scored with a freak free kick.

eirebhoy
25/10/2005, 8:48 PM
3 Irish in the Burnley midfield, the 2 O'Connors and 18 year old Chris McCann (http://www.burnleyfootballclub.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayerProfilesDetail/0,,10413~34036,00.html).

Good to see Heffernan in the goals. Thornton also came off the bench for Doncaster.

Potter played on the right for Liverpool. Had a very good first half but wasn't really involved in the 2nd. He played the 90 minutes even though 3 subs were brought on which is a good sign. Morrison wasn't great but set up a few chances.

None of the Irish made it off the bench for Arsenal.

JoeSemi
25/10/2005, 9:32 PM
[QUOTE=eirebhoy]Potter played on the right for Liverpool. Had a very good first half but wasn't really involved in the 2nd. He played the 90 minutes even though 3 subs were brought on which is a good sign. Morrison wasn't great but set up a few chances.QUOTE]

Dunno what game you were watching if you think Potter was anything above very mediocre in the first half tonight and very poor in the second:confused: Although he was out of position I still don't think he's good enough to have earned a new contract for Liverpool, let alone be left on the pitch for the full 90 minutes tonight. He's a safety first footballer with no conviction in any of his play. Ducked out of headers tonight, pulled out of tackles, backward 5 yard passes anytime Raven backed him up and his finishing? I won't go on:rolleyes:

Karlos
25/10/2005, 9:48 PM
Stokes got the last 2 minutes plus stoppage time at Sunderland.

eirebhoy
25/10/2005, 9:53 PM
Dunno what game you were watching if you think Potter was anything above very mediocre in the first half tonight and very poor in the second:confused:
He crossed in 5 or 6 decent balls, beat the right back once or twice, corners were spot on, passing was spot on, shooting was poor. He definitely should have got an assist and would have if Liverpool had Shevcenko in their team. My brother didn't know who Potter was before the match. I said to him at one point in the 1st half that he's having a decent game and he agreed. I think this was after his cross which Kewell caught on the volley. He's not a right winger so can't be expected to fly up and down the wing.

Poor 2nd half though, agreed. He was no worse than the average Steve Finnan performance on the right wing though. Finnan gets the benefit of the doubt because he's being played out of position, Potter doesn't.

tetsujin1979
25/10/2005, 10:56 PM
None of the Irish made it off the bench for Arsenal.
Sorry EB, both Cregg and Stokes came off the bench, although I reckon Stokes barely had time to break a sweat - he came on in the 91st minute!
http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=289413&CPID=2&channel=football_home
Also Mahon set up the third goal for Wigan in their 3-0 win, and his through ball won the penalty which opened the scoring.

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 12:20 PM
Sorry EB, both Cregg and Stokes came off the bench, although I reckon Stokes barely had time to break a sweat - he came on in the 91st minute!
http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=289413&CPID=2&channel=football_home
Also Mahon set up the third goal for Wigan in their 3-0 win, and his through ball won the penalty which opened the scoring.
Good to see Stokes making his first team debut anyway.

Kavanagh came on for Wigan after 70 minutes when it was 0-0.

finlma
26/10/2005, 12:26 PM
Michael Reddy will be playing for Grimsby against Newcastle tonight. From what I hear he's been one of the best players in League 2 this season.

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 12:47 PM
I doubt very much this is true but:
"Darron Gibson will start for Manchester United when they play Barnet at Old Trafford on Wednesday."
http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=319896&Title=Arsenal+and+Manchester+United+promote+Irish+ youngsters&lid=Main+News&sub=Arsenal+and+Manchester+United+promote+Irish+yo ungsters&navlid=&sublid=

Then again, from Sky Sports:
"Midfielders Richie Jones and Darron Gibson have been handed squad numbers, along with forward Fraizer Campbell, and all three can expect to be on the bench. Gibson, in particular, has caught the eye in the reserves and might even be handed a starting spot if Ferguson resists the temptation to add an older head to the midfield."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=319970&cpid=2&CLID=1&lid=&title=Man+Utd+v+Barnet+preview&channel=skysports_home_page

I really want to see the Man Utd match now. Hopefully I find a stream.

Metrostars
26/10/2005, 1:16 PM
Is Gibson a midfielder?

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 1:30 PM
Is Gibson a midfielder?
Yeah, central midfielder.

ifk101
26/10/2005, 2:15 PM
Michael Reddy will be playing for Grimsby against Newcastle tonight. From what I hear he's been one of the best players in League 2 this season.

He impressed me in the last round against Spurs - looked a better player than Keane and Defoe that night. Probably explains Blackburn's rumoured interest in him.

tetsujin1979
26/10/2005, 2:40 PM
He impressed me in the last round against Spurs - looked a better player than Keane and Defoe that night. Probably explains Blackburn's rumoured interest in him.
He was robbed with a great header early on that looped over the keeper and just went over the bar, would have been a great goal

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 6:47 PM
Miller starts for Man U, Gibson on the bench.

Alan Lee starts for Cardiff. Maybury and McCarthy start for Leicester. Sheehan on the bench.

Joey O'Brien at right back again for Bolton. Clive Clarke starts for West Ham, in midfield I think.

Matt Holland starts for Charlton.

Kilbane starts for Everton.

Michael Reddy starts for Grimsby and Given for Newcastle. Carr not on the bench.

NeilMcD
26/10/2005, 6:52 PM
Carr is suspended as he got a booking in the game against Sunderland and they got the Parker booking so it basically was a sending off and now he is suspended for one game.

Irish_Praha
26/10/2005, 7:08 PM
Miller scored from a free kick after 5 mins, 18 yards out

Jon'o
26/10/2005, 9:06 PM
just listening to the chelsea v charlton cup game... 1-1 in extra time by the way... just turned it on to hear that matt holland has played great all game :eek: then it hit me.... chelsea are playing their reserves :D

so in reality holland is still cr@p ;)

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 9:13 PM
just listening to the chelsea v charlton cup game... 1-1 in extra time by the way... just turned it on to hear that matt holland has played great all game :eek: then it hit me.... chelsea are playing their reserves :D

hehe. :)

Good to see Gibson make his debut.

Jon'o
26/10/2005, 9:31 PM

Saying that it went to penos, holland scored and charlton won 5-4 !!! :D

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 9:36 PM
I just heard Miller was booked for grabbing a Barnet player by the troath. That's better news than him scoring. :) The fella seemed scared ****less whenever I seen him in red.

JoeSemi
27/10/2005, 12:09 PM
He crossed in 5 or 6 decent balls, beat the right back once or twice, corners were spot on, passing was spot on, shooting was poor. He definitely should have got an assist and would have if Liverpool had Shevcenko in their team. My brother didn't know who Potter was before the match. I said to him at one point in the 1st half that he's having a decent game and he agreed. I think this was after his cross which Kewell caught on the volley. He's not a right winger so can't be expected to fly up and down the wing.

Poor 2nd half though, agreed. He was no worse than the average Steve Finnan performance on the right wing though. Finnan gets the benefit of the doubt because he's being played out of position, Potter doesn't.

The cross he put into Kewell was decent, but every other ball failed to beat the first man. As a central midfielder by nature he should have more in his locker than the lazy five yard ball square and backwards. We can maybe excuse the lack of crossing ability, but not a lack of invention and bite from a so-called central midfielder.

As regards comparing him to Finnan, thats a different issue. Finnan is a defender by trade and we all know what is said of defenders when they go beyond the halfway line:) That said, Finnan has more to his game than Potter, even in a wide position. Like it or not, Potter isn't good enough for LFC and subsequently, won't be good enough for Ireland any time soon.

nismo
27/10/2005, 4:22 PM
kieran richardson played for man utd...

Donal81
27/10/2005, 4:31 PM
Is Kieran Richardson not English?

SaucyJack
27/10/2005, 4:35 PM
Is Kieran Richardson not English?

yeah, and capped by them recently I think.

paul_oshea
27/10/2005, 5:37 PM
yes he is and yes he was capped.

nismo
27/10/2005, 10:07 PM
very true...but he also qualifys for ireland.

livehead1
28/10/2005, 12:09 PM
in relation 2 richardsons nationality i noticed it first in 01/02 on champ manager and was suprised so looked into it. he was quite happy to play for ireland and claimed later that the irish fa did not push his claim and didn't show enough interest and when england came along he was more than happy to play for them . o well

nismo
28/10/2005, 4:56 PM
in relation 2 richardsons nationality i noticed it first in 01/02 on champ manager and was suprised so looked into it. he was quite happy to play for ireland and claimed later that the irish fa did not push his claim and didn't show enough interest and when england came along he was more than happy to play for them . o well

TRUE..WAS TALKIN TO HIM IN COBH WHEN HE WAS 17 AND HE SAID HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR IRELAND...BUT THEY NEVER ASKED HIM!:confused:

nismo
28/10/2005, 4:57 PM
sorry bout caps

livehead1
30/10/2005, 1:17 PM
TRUE..WAS TALKIN TO HIM IN COBH WHEN HE WAS 17 AND HE SAID HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR IRELAND...BUT THEY NEVER ASKED HIM!:confused:

indeed its true, i only speak the truth:rolleyes: