PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady

Pages : 1 [2] 3

eirebhoy
24/11/2005, 1:52 PM
martin o'neill :rolleyes::cool: lol
I don't see how since he didn't do training sessions.

livehead1
24/11/2005, 4:17 PM

well obviously you dont remember emile heskey comments about martin o'neills coaching skills and how he improved his play? im sure there are countless other examples as well.

geysir
24/11/2005, 4:43 PM
Never?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2071535.stm

But there is some truth in what you say
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20010225/ai_n13957545

jimbob117
24/11/2005, 10:10 PM
well obviously you dont remember emile heskey comments about martin o'neills coaching skills and how he improved his play?

I'd hate to have seen Heskey beforehand if thats how he is after his play is improved:p

livehead1
26/11/2005, 9:52 AM
I'd hate to have seen Heskey beforehand if thats how he is after his play is improved:p

don't be an eejit, he helped turn him into a player that made 11 million pounds for his club

eirebhoy
26/11/2005, 10:54 AM
don't be an eejit, he helped turn him into a player that made 11 million pounds for his club
I'm actually curious to know what he said about O'Neill. Any quotes?

geysir
26/11/2005, 12:54 PM
Still can't accept that MON had coaching skills :)

Heskey sold for £11m! O'Neill the genious salesman.
"He was a great manager for me. He let me play with such freedom and I learned a lot under his charge, and of course won two trophies."
E Heskey
"Both Rijkaard and O'Neill are up there as great coaches, but in different ways. Wim Jansen too was a very clever coach too." Henrik Larsson:

eirebhoy
26/11/2005, 1:42 PM
All I'm saying is O'Neill doesn't do training so I don't see how he can improve players so much. Walford and Robinson should be getting a lot of credit as they're the people that trained the players.

Strachan improves 80% of the players he coaches. He made a £26m profit in 5 years from selling the players he bought in that period.

geysir
26/11/2005, 8:04 PM
So this info is incorrect? and Larsson is spoofing?
"Some essential duties are left to Steve Walford, the first-team coach, because O'Neill has a permanent knee injury which can become troublesome if exposed to extended exercise."
"and his contribution on the training ground is essentially unaffected. When necessary he calls Walford to the touchline, passes on instructions, and leaves his coach to organise the players into the appropriate practice routine. O'Neill is perceived as a manager who stays away from training. In fact, he is usually present."

jimbob117
27/11/2005, 10:59 PM

Im not being an eejit, i just dont rate heskey that much.

Junior
30/11/2005, 1:55 PM
Also don't underestimate the 'man management', 'confidence instilling' element to O'Neills coaching - IMO, quite often this can be the difference between a player doing the business on the pitch, not necessarily what tactics / drills they do in training

TheJamaicanP.M.
04/12/2005, 5:26 PM
McGeady scored another good goal today as Celtic came from behind to beat Aberdeen.

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 7:17 PM
Also don't underestimate the 'man management', 'confidence instilling' element to O'Neills coaching - IMO, quite often this can be the difference between a player doing the business on the pitch, not necessarily what tactics / drills they do in training

look at the amount of players who had lost their way slightly and MO"N put their careers back on track: sutton, hartson, thompson, varga etc.

livehead1
06/12/2005, 11:32 AM
look at the amount of players who had lost their way slightly and MO"N put their careers back on track: sutton, hartson, thompson, varga etc.

and then theres Hedman Juninho Petta Guppy etc etc who he didn't :rolleyes:

Junior
06/12/2005, 3:52 PM
and then theres Hedman Juninho Petta Guppy etc etc who he didn't :rolleyes:

Its a fair point - he's not perfect, though Im not sure all those are real examples.

Juninho - Just not a MON type of player, hardly got a look in & was very rarely used. Can't really understand why he signed him, pressure I suppose. Brought him iun for the CL and then hardly used him except for a game out in the Ukraine where we got stuffed.

Guppy - Nearing the end of his career, was a squad player & nothing more.

Petta - Had some great games, unfortunately had too many stinkers. Some of this could be apportioned to MON, some of it to the very nature of inconsistent wingers!!

Hedman - Big disappointment for Celtic, not sure what went wrong there.

tetsujin1979
06/12/2005, 4:04 PM
Its a fair point - he's not perfect, though Im not sure all those are real examples.

Juninho - Just not a MON type of player, hardly got a look in & was very rarely used. Can't really understand why he signed him, pressure I suppose. Brought him iun for the CL and then hardly used him except for a game out in the Ukraine where we got stuffed.

Guppy - Nearing the end of his career, was a squad player & nothing more.

Petta - Had some great games, unfortunately had too many stinkers. Some of this could be apportioned to MON, some of it to the very nature of inconsistent wingers!!

Hedman - Big disappointment for Celtic, not sure what went wrong there.

Petta initially came good under MON, the treble season and the games in the Champion's League that followed come to mind, but faded fast after that. He was woeful under John Barnes too.

Hedman had a lot of family problems, didn't his wife leave him?

gustavo
06/12/2005, 11:41 PM
Lads can ye keep on the topic of McGeady!there is a thread about Scottish Football in the General Football Forum

TheJamaicanP.M.
07/12/2005, 1:33 PM
Lads can ye keep on the topic of McGeady!there is a thread about Scottish Football in the General Football Forum

Exactly, most of us want to read about McGeady. If anyone wants to talk about a Scottish club, go to the World Football section. As one Irish journalist once remarked, Ireland and Celtic are not interchangeable.

Fergie's Son
07/12/2005, 4:24 PM
Exactly, most of us want to read about McGeady. If anyone wants to talk about a Scottish club, go to the World Football section. As one Irish journalist once remarked, Ireland and Celtic are not interchangeable.

Hear, hear.

Discuss Celtic in the appropriate forum, not here.

I come to the IRELAND SECTION to read and discuss Irish players. Not Celtic, not United etc.

tricky_colour
07/12/2005, 6:07 PM
However Aiden is Irish and O'Neil is in the running for manager of Ireland.
How can you discuss either without discussing Celtic?

Fergie's Son
07/12/2005, 6:52 PM
However Aiden is Irish and O'Neil is in the running for manager of Ireland.
How can you discuss either without discussing Celtic?

You can discuss Celtic only as it relates to McGeady's play etc. There's a forum to discuss issues relating to the rest of the Celtic team, please go there.

tricky_colour
07/12/2005, 8:51 PM
The discussion relates to abilities of a future Ireland manager so it rightly belongs here. Your comments do not relate directly to Ireland but to which
content is appropiate to a particular forum and so by rights should not be in this forum but in a forum for general control issues.

M@ttitude
07/12/2005, 11:17 PM
Objection your honour!

Plastic Paddy
08/12/2005, 6:14 AM
The only problems here are caused by some people being too quick to get their arses in hand over the mere mention of Celtic. If what's being discussed is germane to the thread subject (which it is) then as far as I'm concerned it can stay.

:ball: PP

Roverstillidie
10/12/2005, 4:40 PM
we have to discuss a celtic player without once mentioning his club? nonsense, so i will treat it with the contempt it deserves.

according to cetlic fanzine site etims alan thompson is for the chop next window, portsmouth being mentioned, meaning aido is the long term left winger in the east end of glasgow. good news for him and us.

Poor Student
10/12/2005, 4:46 PM
McGeady had another good game today I hear.

Fergie's Son
10/12/2005, 11:56 PM
Papers said he played well and would have scored but for his poor finishing.

boysingreen
11/12/2005, 2:45 AM
He's looked quite promising if you ask me, great pace, played some great balls, some nice touches.. he's been hustling back and getting involved on the defensive end as well. Anyone that thought McGeady was another youth who'd fallen off the face of the earth, which it did look like for awhile, are being proved wrong. Long may his form continue.

eirebhoy
11/12/2005, 11:35 AM
Papers said he played well and would have scored but for his poor finishing.
I seen the match. He is certainly full of confidence. Not trying to beat his man all the time and when he tries he usually succeeds. I'm still trying to figure out his natural favourite foot though. :)

Junior
12/12/2005, 9:26 PM
Two footed, very industrious he had another good game. Yes he had a few wild shots maybe getting a bit over excited, but hey, he'll learn.

In some peoples eyes he's probably still a one trick pony - hope he keeps up the good form and proves them wrong!

OwlsFan
15/12/2005, 9:57 AM
I see he got the best young player award in the SPL for November:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4519696.stm

Fergie's Son
15/12/2005, 6:53 PM
That's great news. Keane going to Celtic may not be such good news though. Strachan might shift his midfield which might result in McGeady losing his place or getting less playing time.

thejollyrodger
15/12/2005, 8:31 PM
but keane will be a good infulance on Mc Geady. Plus any other irish lad there.

Fergie's Son
15/12/2005, 8:58 PM

We can only hope. I'd like to think you are right though.

eirebhoy
15/12/2005, 11:59 PM
McGeady might lose his place in the short term but Lennon and Keane won't be playing in the same team long term.

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 9:54 AM

Like Liam Miller and John O'Shea at Man U :eek: :eek: ? I think not.

livehead1
16/12/2005, 11:37 AM
he was good mates with o'shea i think you'll find.

Junior
16/12/2005, 12:45 PM

Probably more to do with their ****e form - I suppose keane was to blame for that as well..........

NeilMcD
16/12/2005, 12:55 PM
Sure he is also at fault for the Iraq war too.

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 12:56 PM
No, just answering the statement that Keane will have a good effect on the young Irish players in Celtic ? There is no basis for that statement having regard to the form of O'Shea and Miller when he was there. In fact one could argue that O'Shea's form has picked up since he left.

Condex
17/12/2005, 1:49 PM
No, just answering the statement that Keane will have a good effect on the young Irish players in Celtic ? There is no basis for that statement having regard to the form of O'Shea and Miller when he was there. In fact one could argue that O'Shea's form has picked up since he left.

Would have to agree, it seems like a weight has lifted off his shoulders since Keane left...

thejollyrodger
17/12/2005, 2:30 PM

Man United are a different kettle of fish... They arent top of the league and they are more like a club in decline from their former glory. No wonder he was having a go at all the players. Man united is not a club i would recommend to any youngster at the moment.

Celtic on the other hand are top of their league and look forward to CL football next season if they can keep the ship on course. RMK can feature in the CL matches if he can keep himself fit.

Plastic Paddy
17/12/2005, 6:32 PM
Man United are a different kettle of fish... They arent top of the league and they are more like a club in decline from their former glory. No wonder he was having a go at all the players.

Well domestically at least they look as if they're heading back on course and enjoying their football without the shadow of RMK looming large over them...

Man united is not a club i would recommend to any youngster at the moment.

Sounds like you may have delusions of grandeur there, Rodg. :D

On the other hand (and if you haven't I apologise), do let us know the next time a hot footballing prospect comes and consults you before deciding whether it's ManYoo, Arsenal or Chelsea that he wants to join... :p

thejollyrodger
17/12/2005, 10:05 PM
PP.
Man United are not a club of stability at the moment. They will continue to be a rocky boat until fergie goes and then the proper rebuilding will start. It would be far better for an irish youngster to get some stability in a smaller club and then maybe try for united in a few seasons time (when fergie has been pushed)

On the other hand (and if you haven't I apologise), do let us know the next time a hot footballing prospect comes and consults you before deciding whether it's ManYoo, Arsenal or Chelsea that he wants to join...
I'll PM you with a tip off ;)

Plastic Paddy
17/12/2005, 10:14 PM
Man United are not a club of stability at the moment. They will continue to be a rocky boat until fergie goes and then the proper rebuilding will start. It would be far better for an irish youngster to get some stability in a smaller club and then maybe try for united in a few seasons time (when fergie has been pushed)

Fair point and FWIW I'm inclined to agree. Liam Miller's experience, for example, shows the pitfalls of being a fringe player at ManYoo under old whiskey chops. I'd hate to see another Irish prospect go the same way.

This is called cherry-picking facts, and in this case results, in order to support one's pet theories. Using this sort of logic it would be possible to argue that Mick McCarthy's team are the best in the Premiership since they have a 100% record in all the games they have won. Let's just not mention all the ones they have lost...

Fine bombast, but I was talking about their record in domestic football since he left. Hardly an artificial construct for the purposes of an argument, so I disagree with your premise, but that's by the by. The answer is five wins and sixteen points from six league games. Those facts speak for themselves. No cherry-picking required.

TheJamaicanP.M.
18/12/2005, 1:17 AM
This is called cherry-picking facts, and in this case results, in order to support one's pet theories. Using this sort of logic it would be possible to argue that Mick McCarthy's team are the best in the Premiership since they have a 100% record in all the games they have won. Let's just not mention all the ones they have lost...

As happened so often during the last decade, as soon as Keane was out of the team, Man Utd underperformed. In the Champion's League, in a group containing none of the top European teams, they managed to finish bottom and failed to even qualify for the UEFA Cup. Still you are trying to imply that their results without him are better and that he was a negative influence!

I am certainly not Roy Keane's greatest fan, but anyone who tries to argue that Keane was anything other than a positive influence on Man Utd's results is deluding themselves. Incredibly, Keane's ability to improve their results remained right up until the end (albeit not always to the same extent as before) - as soon as Keane was injured, Man Utd's form dipped.

I agree 100% with this post. Keane's influence on results was immense, both for ManU and Ireland. Anyone who could suggest that results have improved or will improve for either team in Keane's absence are deluding themselves. I remember when Keane got injured early in the 1997/98 season, United's results were excellent in the run-up to Christmas. Some people said United were a better team without him. However, the second half of the season proved how much they missed him. In a similar way, I think United will struggle when they need someone with genuine leadership skills. The likes of Ronaldo will go missing. From what I can see, Wayne Rooney is ploughing a lone furrow at the moment. United are lacking characters - winners who have the convictions to strive for something better. Indeed, I would put United's recent improvement on the domestic scene down to the return of Gary Neville to first-team action. Despite what many people might think, Neville is a player with character, a top professional.

Kingdom
18/12/2005, 1:33 AM
I agree 100% with this post. Keane's influence on results was immense, both for ManU and Ireland. Anyone who could suggest that results have improved or will improve for either team in Keane's absence are deluding themselves. I remember when Keane got injured early in the 1997/98 season, United's results were excellent in the run-up to Christmas. Some people said United were a better team without him. However, the second half of the season proved how much they missed him. In a similar way, I think United will struggle when they need someone with genuine leadership skills. The likes of Ronaldo will go missing. From what I can see, Wayne Rooney is ploughing a lone furrow at the moment. United are lacking characters - winners who have the convictions to strive for something better. Indeed, I would put United's recent improvement on the domestic scene down to the return of Gary Neville to first-team action. Despite what many people might think, Neville is a player with character, a top professional.

So many fans cannot acknowledge the true quality footballers, out of a dislike for the player or a hatred of the club that player plays for. Neville is a great example. I think he's an ar$ehole but he's a class full back and Utd and England aren't the same without him.
I just finished reading Keane's autobiography, for the third time, and its kinda hard not to agree with a lot of what he's done or stood up for.
Anywho back to the topic. I think it would be ludicrous to insinuate that Keane's arrival at Parkhead would have anything other than a positive effect on McGeady, O'Dea, O'Donnell (?) or any of the other Irish lads at Celtic.

Plastic Paddy
18/12/2005, 6:35 AM
I agree 100% with this post. Keane's influence on results was immense, both for ManU and Ireland. Anyone who could suggest that results have improved or will improve... are deluding themselves.

Over the twelve years, yes, Keane's influence was both positive and immense (I'm only referring to ManYoo here as certain aspects of his Ireland career are moot in that regard) and to deny such would be churlish; a bit like David Irving or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's denials of the Holocaust (although this forms rather an unfortunate comparison). My point was that at the end of his Old Trafford career his dressing-room influence seemed more malign than beneficial. Anyone who could suggest otherwise is deluding themselves... ;)

Anyway, back to topic. McGeady to score two today at Inverness. :D

Plastic Paddy
18/12/2005, 9:03 PM
D'you know what? I really don't care enough about the issue to have to labour my point with you for the third time. I offer no real argument about Keane either way because I don't really care enough either way, whatever you may wish to think. I will though state that domestic football and European competition are mutually exclusive in real time, because you appear to conveniently forget it in your presentation of "the facts". It's totally possible to play well in one competition without necessarily doing so in the other. What's so illogical about that?

As it happens, all I did at the start this was recycle an observation I noticed that Paul Wilson had made in last week's Observer, which seemed plausible enough given the football I have seen ManYoo play in the Premiership since Keane's departure. If it's good enough for Wilson, a football journalist whose opinion I respect, then it tends to be good enough for me. I see no reason to change.

Fergie's Son
18/12/2005, 9:24 PM
At this point, I don't give a fiddlers about Keane. He no longer plays for Ireland so he no longer interests me. If his playing for Celtic results in any Irish player getting less playing time then I will be upset. That's all the matters.