PDA

View Full Version : Steve Coppell

eirebhoy
23/10/2005, 3:19 PM
At the Drogs-Bray match looking for another bargain. Who do you think he's looking at?

jorge
23/10/2005, 3:26 PM
There's Not Much To Look At Unfortunatly.

pete
23/10/2005, 3:34 PM
He probably saw that was cup semi so assumed some quality players available. He doesn't know much about the eL though. ;)

hoopy
23/10/2005, 5:09 PM
I suppose we can look forward to seeing this unnamed player in the Irish squad soon:rolleyes:

Macy
24/10/2005, 7:46 AM
He probably saw that was cup semi so assumed some quality players available. He doesn't know much about the eL though. ;)
Yeah, I mean we've been hearing for the last few years from Cork fans how insignificant cup football is....

superfrank
24/10/2005, 4:18 PM
The only really good player imo was Daz yesterday but for obvious reasons a move for him is unrealistic. Fabio did well too but I doubt he was looking at him.

A face
24/10/2005, 4:24 PM
Yeah, I mean we've been hearing for the last few years from Cork fans how insignificant cup football is....

everyone know the league is where its at !! :p

Peadar
24/10/2005, 4:40 PM
we've been hearing for the last few years from Cork fans how insignificant cup football is....

We were talking about the League Cup.

Roo69
25/10/2005, 9:47 AM
Reading manager Steve Coppell was in Ireland over the weekend to run the rule of Drogheda United trio Stephen Bradley, Steven Gray and Graham Gartland.

The Championship manager signed Kevin Doyle from Cork City during the summer and believes that the eircom League has plenty of talent available for relatively cheap money compared to other Leagues.

Although he travelled to Drogheda to watch Bradley, he was impressed by central defensive pairing Gray and Gartland and, with Reading currently in the market for a centre half, Reading are going to monitor the pair before the next transfer window.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/10/25/story227043.html

ColinR
25/10/2005, 10:18 AM
Although he travelled to Drogheda to watch Bradley, he was impressed by central defensive pairing Gray and Gartland and, with Reading currently in the market for a centre half, Reading are going to monitor the pair before the next transfer window.

well to be fair they were the only two players from our side that played really well. cant undertand how fabio got man of the match ahead of both of them.

Roo69
25/10/2005, 10:22 AM
MOTM was Tresson by a mile, he played in about 5 positions during the 90 minutes and was fantastic in all of them, scored a goal as well. A real captians preformance. Your to centre back IMO were your best preformers, Gartland especially had a very good game. For all the money Drogs have pumped into having a full-time set up it really is'nt showing, biog changes needed to catch up with the likes of Cork and Derry

dcfcsteve
25/10/2005, 10:38 AM
Reading manager Steve Coppell was in Ireland over the weekend to run the rule of Drogheda United trio Stephen Bradley, Steven Gray and Graham Gartland.

The Championship manager signed Kevin Doyle from Cork City during the summer and believes that the eircom League has plenty of talent available for relatively cheap money compared to other Leagues.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/10/25/story227043.html

The key part of the above statement is the "plenty of talent available for relatively cheap money" bit.

Irish teams are still off-loading players for way below their real market value. Doyle went to Reading for £70,000 ! For feck sake - Derry sold Darren Kelly to Carlisle - then a struggling 2nd/3rd Division club - for £100,000. Galway got €20,000 from Derry for Alan Murphy. Does £70k for Doyle really look like a good deal ? I know there's clauses about more money based on Doyle's performance, international appearnces etc, but it's no wonder Coppell is back with his shopping trolley again.

The problem is that English clubs assume they can pay less for players here than they would pretty much anywhere else. And because all our clubs are short of cash, we tend to take their offers for fear they'll go away and not come back. Only when a few clubs start to say 'no' to offers like £70k for quality players will we start to change that ethos.....

monkey magic
25/10/2005, 10:39 AM
For all the money Drogs have pumped into having a full-time set up it really is'nt showing, biog changes needed to catch up with the likes of Cork and Derry

yeah have to say lads yeve been a big dissapointment this year... whats the feelin up there? has doolin saved his hide by virtually guaranteeing european football next year, or are ye finally gonna find a manager who will take ye places

ColinR
25/10/2005, 10:47 AM
yeah have to say lads yeve been a big dissapointment this year... whats the feelin up there? has doolin saved his hide by virtually guaranteeing european football next year, or are ye finally gonna find a manager who will take ye places

just speaking for myself (and i've seen feck all since moving away) - all is forgiven for this season because of a cup final. if you have waited a lifetime for a trophy/cup final appearance, you'd understand the sense of elation in the ground at the final whistle.

its a bit like ireland under jack charlton, apparently a few fai heads were gunning for his head until gary mackay interveined - **** football, plenty of draws etc. well had we lost to craptown earlier in the cup, doolin's head would have been called for by the fans.

now, well just let us enjoy this moment first ;)

eirebhoy
15/11/2005, 8:39 AM
Reading are set to sign Irish teenager Conor Sinnott until the end of the season after he impressed on a three-week trial with the Royals.

Sinnott, 19, is a former Irish youth international and has been playing for Bray Wanderers in the Eircom League.

Director of football Nicky Hammond told the club's website: "Conor has gone home for a week and he'll come back to stay with us on a non-contract basis."

Sinnott played for Royals' reserves in last week's friendly with Bristol City.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/4436584.stm

Sinnott didn't play in the cup match but considering it is now exactly 3 weeks since the match I'm pretty sure Coppell took him over at the time.

Block G Raptor
15/11/2005, 10:15 AM
I just hope Fabio keeps having off nights when coppell's around
wouldn't want them to snatch him from under our noses now would we

superfrank
15/11/2005, 10:37 AM
The fact is Sinnott struggled here. He did reasonably well for the u21s but he couldn't break into the first team. I think he only played about 3 or 4 games for the first team this season. I don't know if he even travelled to the Cup Semi.

Cosmo
15/11/2005, 10:54 AM
I just hope Fabio keeps having off nights when coppell's around
wouldn't want them to snatch him from under our noses now would we

but he's not going to you :p

Block G Raptor
15/11/2005, 11:06 AM
dont make me repeat myself cosmo
take ur head out of the sand
http://www.foot.ie/showpost.php?p=385629&postcount=109
:p :p

Cosmo
15/11/2005, 11:11 AM
dont make me repeat myself cosmo
take ur head out of the sand
http://www.foot.ie/showpost.php?p=385629&postcount=109
:p :p

Funny that he didn't mention it on friday when the lads asked him :)

Block G Raptor
15/11/2005, 11:36 AM
Well it wouldn't be too professional of him to go blabbing to all and sundry
before the official announcement now would it
then again what would a drogs fan know about proffessionalism :D
but seriously Cosmo I was told by a senior bohs official whom shall remain unnamed for the moment that the contract is all but signed

Cosmo
15/11/2005, 12:23 PM
Well it wouldn't be too professional of him to go blabbing to all and sundry
before the official announcement now would it
then again what would a drogs fan know about proffessionalism :D
but seriously Cosmo I was told by a senior bohs official whom shall remain unnamed for the moment that the contract is all but signed

I'll believe it when I see it - the amount of players we should have signed when been told the contract has been all but signed, but then didnt!!

We'll wait and see :)

Block G Raptor
15/11/2005, 1:15 PM
Good point cosmo we have been a little to eager to announce prospective transfers in the past but ive a gut feeling about this the only stumbling block is that bohs are not in europe and ye lad's are (congrats on that by the way..hope you stuff the corkieens in the final)