thejollyrodger
23/10/2005, 1:56 PM
he is a bit young though

eirebhoy
23/10/2005, 3:12 PM
Steven Ireland was brill yesterday
Must be i nnext friendly squad - maybe the future is not so bleak with
him and elliott doing so well
All the papers said he played really well. 3 English papers put him down as 17 though when he's actually 19.

pete
23/10/2005, 3:26 PM
He should get some U21 games to get experience as would be unlikely to get much seniot team action. Then again Givens is still U21 manager so who knows how he'd ruin him... :eek:

concanta
23/10/2005, 4:49 PM
why not though
if he is playing with man city and turning out good performances he should be in first team
not every game but for a few of the friendlies so he knows what its like and gets some experience

brine3
23/10/2005, 5:01 PM
feck it, we have 11 months of friendly matches to look forward to, if you can't bring new players through now then when can you?

concanta
23/10/2005, 5:04 PM
my next team based on current form would be

Kenny ( give him experience and give Shay a rest)
Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Harte

Duff
A Reid
Ireland
S Reid

Elliott
Doyle

btw is the sheff utd player GEARY irish - i presume he is maybe he might come through
has played recently for sheff utd and they look very very good

gustavo
23/10/2005, 6:37 PM
this guy has played what 4 maybe 5 premiership games and you put him straight into the team . even for a friendly i would just about have him in the squad

dr_peepee
23/10/2005, 6:59 PM
Joey O'Brien played the full 90 in Boltons win over WBA today... I don't wanna read to much into the emmergence of Ireland and O'Brien just yet because we've seen it before and been let down with McPhail, Barry Quinn and even Tony Sheridan ffs.

But the progress of O'Brien, Ireland and centre half McShane of late has given me some glimmer of hope. I'll be happy if the the first two reach double figures for apps in the premiership this season. Darren Potter should go on loan though.

tricky_colour
23/10/2005, 7:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Sheffield's Geary is Irish.

eirebhoy
23/10/2005, 8:00 PM
Joey O'Brien played the full 90 in Boltons win over WBA today... I don't wanna read to much into the emmergence of Ireland and O'Brien just yet because we've seen it before and been let down with McPhail, Barry Quinn and even Tony Sheridan ffs.

But the progress of O'Brien, Ireland and centre half McShane of late has given me some glimmer of hope. I'll be happy if the the first two reach double figures for apps in the premiership this season. Darren Potter should go on loan though.
O'Brien played at right back for Bolton afaik.

4tothefloor
23/10/2005, 8:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Sheffield's Geary is Irish.
If he's the guy on loan from Villa, he's English and considers himself so. I could be thinking of a completely different player though....I don't follow the Coco Pops Championship

eirebhoy
23/10/2005, 8:18 PM
If he's the guy on loan from Villa, he's English and considers himself so. I could be thinking of a completely different player though....I don't follow the Coco Pops Championship
He's a right back from Dublin. Not getting his game for United and is 25 so doubt he's an international prospect. Never know though. :)

elroy
24/10/2005, 10:20 AM
I know this has come up before but what about Lawrence, hes eligible as far as I know, played quite well yesterday. Would be worth at try on the right wing.

TheBoss
24/10/2005, 10:59 AM
People in here should wait and see at the end of the season whether these players can do it for a long period

mchurl
24/10/2005, 1:08 PM
maybe liam lawerence wouldn't be a bad option he's at least worth a look. we haven't got many options on the right of midfield;)

SaucyJack
24/10/2005, 1:53 PM
Geary is Irish, used to be a fan favourite at Wednesday....but at 5'5 or 5'6, he kinda tiny, even for a fullback.

Irish_Praha
24/10/2005, 2:14 PM
Geary is Irish, used to be a fan favourite at Wednesday....but at 5'5 or 5'6, he kinda tiny, even for a fullback.

He's a mediocre Championship player at best nowhere near International standard. Even Mabury would be well ahead of him.
He was a fan's favourite because he was a hard tackler and put in a lot of effort ... very workman. Maybe he should be included in the squad training sessions just to show the others how to play with a bit of heart!

Stuttgart88
24/10/2005, 2:55 PM
I was going to start a separate thread but half the points I was going to make are here on this one anyway.

All the last few weeks I've been hearing that the cupboard is bare & there's nobody coming through, mainly from people who can barely see past their noses about Irish football but yet are happy to get paid by the media for offering their "expert" advice. Ronnie Whelan, Frank the Plank & Rayo Houghton spring to mind.

Paul Howard wrote an excellent article in yesterday's Tribune but spoilt it by saying that there's nothing coming through.

Is this really the case?

Under 19s, almost every one of which is a great prospect, thump Italy 4-1 & playing qaulity football on the way. OK, so getting the best out of these guys is out of our / FAI's control but it hardly spells a bleak future.
5 Irish in the side that wins the FA Youth Cup.
Joey O'Brien breaking into the Bolton first team.
Glenn Whelan captaining SWFC at 20.
Paul McShane.
Stephen Elliott.
Clinton Morrison showing great form & rewarding any manager that shows faith in him.
Stephen Elliott
Graham Kavanagh, OK no spring chicken, getting described as "excellent" by The Times, getting 8/10 for his latest quality premiership performance.
Alan Quinn showing again on Friday that he's got plenty to offer, always looking to do something positive on the ball.
Alan Mahon's goal.
Shame Supple getting Ipswich fans' MOTM yesterday.
Owen Garvan orchestrating central midfield for Ipswich aged 17.
Kevin Doyle
Stephen Ireland

And so on.

Maybe it's just me popping the happy pills too often but I think there's plenty that an inspirational manager can do to restore a spring in the step to this Irish side. Step forward Martin O'Neill

(OK, so I've changed my mind a bit on who should be next manager:))

NeilMcD
24/10/2005, 3:32 PM
Fair play Stuttgart, thats the sort of post that should happen a lot more on this.

Speranza
24/10/2005, 3:48 PM
Don't forget Darren Gibson from Derry who scored against Italy, he is only 17. Plays regularly for Man Utd youth squad.

eirebhoy
24/10/2005, 4:18 PM
Don't forget Darren Gibson from Derry who scored against Italy, he is only 17. Plays regularly for Man Utd youth squad.
Don't mean to be petty but he's actually a regular in their reserves. Man Utd reserves at 17 is excellent. Spend a year or so there, then get a loan out like McShane/O'Shea. Just checked, its his 18th birthday tomorrow. :)

TheBoss
24/10/2005, 4:33 PM

Do you mean Terry Gibson of Spurs. He has the choice to play for Ireland or England

paul_oshea
24/10/2005, 4:35 PM
who is the other stephen elliot? what position does he play?

dr_peepee
24/10/2005, 7:30 PM
I was going to start a separate thread but half the points I was going to make are here on this one anyway.

All the last few weeks I've been hearing that the cupboard is bare & there's nobody coming through, mainly from people who can barely see past their noses about Irish football but yet are happy to get paid by the media for offering their "expert" advice. Ronnie Whelan, Frank the Plank & Rayo Houghton spring to mind.

Paul Howard wrote an excellent article in yesterday's Tribune but spoilt it by saying that there's nothing coming through.

Is this really the case?

Under 19s, almost every one of which is a great prospect, thump Italy 4-1 & playing qaulity football on the way. OK, so getting the best out of these guys is out of our / FAI's control but it hardly spells a bleak future.
Paul McShane.
Stephen Elliott.
Clinton Morrison showing great form & rewarding any manager that shows faith in him.
Stephen Elliott
Graham Kavanagh, OK no spring chicken, getting described as "excellent" by The Times, getting 8/10 for his latest quality premiership performance.
Alan Quinn showing again on Friday that he's got plenty to offer, always looking to do something positive on the ball.
Alan Mahon's goal.
Kevin Doyle
Stephen Ireland

And so on.

Maybe it's just me popping the happy pills too often but I think there's plenty that an inspirational manager can do to restore a spring in the step to this Irish side. Step forward Martin O'Neill

I agree with Stuttgart88 (Hard not to with the impcecable grammer and well structureed arguments:) ). But i think the former players have a point also. I haven't read in detail their individual comments about the playing resourses but I think the point they're making is that there's a break now in the conveyer of playing talent that's gonna take a few years to fill. We really need the need players of 22, 23, 24, 25 to be performing at a higher standard than they are now.

Speranza
26/10/2005, 7:14 PM
Don't mean to be petty but he's actually a regular in their reserves. Man Utd reserves at 17 is excellent. Spend a year or so there, then get a loan out like McShane/O'Shea. Just checked, its his 18th birthday tomorrow.

Just heard tonight that he is in the squad for the Carling cup match.

SaucyJack
26/10/2005, 7:58 PM
Do you mean Terry Gibson of Spurs. He has the choice to play for Ireland or England

that'd be Dixon, not Gibson.

Clifford
27/10/2005, 11:07 AM
Ireland inks new deal

STEPHEN Ireland has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester City.

The deal, which was agreed in principle last week, will keep the 19-year-old at Eastlands until 2009 and confirms his reputation as one of the most promising young players on City's books.

Ireland has made his big breakthrough this season after Blues boss Stuart Pearce took the Cork-born midfielder on the club's pre-season tour to Thailand.
After making his first senior appearance in the home defeat to Bolton last month, Ireland has been an ever-present, making six appearances in total and is expected to be part of the side which faces Aston Villa on Monday.

"I am delighted with the contract," Ireland told www.mcfc.co.uk

"I spoke to the gaffer and said that I wanted to stay as long as I possibly could. To get an extension through to 2009 is absolutely brilliant for me. I want to stay here, keep playing and keep proving myself."

silentbob
27/10/2005, 11:16 PM

Is this really the case?

Paul McShane.
Stephen Elliott.
Stephen Elliott
Alan Mahon's goal.
Kevin Doyle
Stephen Ireland

And so on.

Go on stuttgart, A bit of optimision is very much appreciated by me. Maybe we should petition for you to be involved in the new Ireland management structure as a motivational coach or something. What do you other foot.ier think, worth starting a petition?!!:D :D

Fergie's Son
28/10/2005, 1:12 AM
Thanks Stuggart. I needed that! Too much negativity lately. I love the national team. It's the only sporting event I can truly feel passionate about other than my Dubs.

Deligted to see a new crop (hopefully) coming up.

Qwerty
30/10/2005, 9:37 PM
Ireland continues to get coverage, it is nice to see 2 Irish youngsters break into the first team at Premiership clubs - O'Brien & Ireland certainly have real potential to make the grade.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/manchester_city/article323384.ece

Closed Account 2
31/10/2005, 8:17 PM
He just did a superb bit of skill, trap and side back-heel to feed in Andy Cole vs Villa tonight. He outfoxed the entire Villa defence with one move, great play. All in all he has had a good game so far, a little bit too over eager at times but there is lots of potential.

thejollyrodger
31/10/2005, 8:34 PM
speaking of the U21's game against italy.. it is meant to be on the telly some of these days.. does anyone know when ?

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/10/2005, 9:24 PM
speaking of the U21's game against italy.. it is meant to be on the telly some of these days.. does anyone know when ?

Do you mean the Under-19 game that took place almost 2 weeks ago. Highlights of it on Friday night at 8 o'clock on RTE, I think?

tricky_colour
31/10/2005, 9:28 PM
You can see Irelands bit of skill on Sky Sports, in about 2 mins, and every hour thereafter presumably.

thejollyrodger
31/10/2005, 9:30 PM
yes i mean the u19s

thanx T.J.PM. i must set the video:)

The Legend
31/10/2005, 9:42 PM
Ireland's definitely worth a call up in the next friendly... there's plenty of open squad places now:ball:

tricky_colour
31/10/2005, 9:46 PM
I suppose we can look forward to headlines such as:-

"Ireland scores two as Ireland score three"....

I'll get my coat...:o

Clifford
31/10/2005, 10:36 PM
I suppose we can look forward to headlines such as:-

"Ireland scores two as Ireland score three"....

I'll get my coat...:o

He sure looked the real deal tonight, that's Everton, Ham and Villa now he's survived against and looked better each time. Worked hard tonight, but also found time on the ball to be delicate and sublime. Please Lord let him be the real deal for Irelands sake (pardon the pun)

M@ttitude
31/10/2005, 11:35 PM
Just saw the Irish Irelands silky skill, reminded me of Zidane.. Im glad people have spotted a tiny light at the end of this dark depressing tunnell.

tricky_colour
01/11/2005, 1:36 AM
Nice to see a bit of creativity in midfield, and don't we need that, from an
entertainment point of view apart from anything else.
One think which is positive about the departure of Kerr is that we had became
rather dull and predictable (didn't the French manager say we were predictable?), I found the games far more enjoyable under McCarthy, you never really knew what was going to happen, with Kerr it became rather tedious.
If you are going to go out of a tournement why not do it in style?
I think there was a lot of pressure on Kerr and he was too afraid of losing to
go out and win a game, Mick seemed to have a different attitude, let them
worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

eirebhoy
01/11/2005, 10:08 AM
I had an eye on the City match in the pub and was impressed with Ireland. 2 excellent sliding tackles and 2 superb Zidane style passes stuck out.

What a complement this is but I'll try not to get carried away :) :

It says something when City provide the model of stability and consistency in Manchester football and judging by Stephen Ireland's gorgeous back-heel into Cole's path, the best young footballers may play at Eastlands rather than Old Trafford.
http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/11/01/sfgmac01.xml

CraftyToePoke
01/11/2005, 10:34 AM
i was keeping an eye on him as well and without wishing to over-hype him and wind up dissappointed, its hard not to be excited by him overall, still learning though,he was a bit casual with a pass to Croft on halfway which gave villa a 3 on 4 breakaway and put pressure on his side but thats nothing a bit of experience wont fix hopefully.

Between Ireland,Whelan,Garvin and O'Brien the central midfield cupboard isnt as bare as some would have you believe i reckon, surely 2 of them will shape up,hopefully they all will.

livehead1
01/11/2005, 11:09 AM
garvan is reportadly attracting "big" clubs, i just hope it aint spurs. anyone heard any rumours?

CraftyToePoke
01/11/2005, 11:16 AM
garvan is reportadly attracting "big" clubs, i just hope it aint spurs. anyone heard any rumours?

ive only heard west ham,the rumoured offer being in the one million region. are west ham a big club? i hope is isnt spurs either,they have 14 midfielders on the books there at the moment.i reckon he is better off where he is for now but theres no talking to these guys. Liam Miller?? Joe Royle was on the regional sports news the other night here and he said if selling a player meant getting enough money to bring 2 other players in then he was willing to hear offers for anyone at ipswich.

eirebhoy
01/11/2005, 11:23 AM
SUPERKID Owen Garvan today reassured Ipswich Town fans that he is looking no further than Portman Road to further his football career.

He wants to buck the trend that has seen other talented youngsters from the Blues Academy move on to the benefit of other clubs.

Darren Bent, Darren Ambrose and Titus Bramble are three players who are now starring in the Premiership after learning their trade under Academy manager Bryan Klug's watchful eye at Town's Rushmere training ground.

And 19-year-old Dean Bowditch is currently the subject of speculation about a possible move to West Ham, leading to fears by many fans that more of the family silver is about to be sold off.

But Dublin-born Garvan, who has taken the Championship by storm this season, has revealed his plans for the future - and they do include leaving Ipswich Town.

His Portman Road contract runs out in the summer of 2007 - and by that time he wants to see the Blues back in the top flight.

“The club deserves it,” said Garvan, who is struggling to be fit for Saturday's trip to Brighton after suffering an ankle injury against in last week's home 2-2 draw with Coventry.

“With their crowd levels and tradition, Ipswich are a Premiership club.

“I am an ambitious person, and my goal is to win a Championship medal.”

Garvan, who made his first team debut in the opening game of the season against Cardiff City, is an obvious target if Ipswich need to generate extra income in the up-coming transfer window or next summer.

West Ham have already been linked with Garvan, and a number of scouts from top clubs are well aware of the potential the unassuming lad possesses.

But as far as Garvan is concerned his thoughts are centred solely on Ipswich Town, and he is looking no further.

“The financial situation Ipswich find themselves in has been good for me,” he says. “The likes of Darren Bent, Kelvin Davis, Tommy Miller and Shefki Kuqi have had to be replaced, and the manager has not been afraid to bring in youngsters.

“This has given me my chance, and we will be able to tell at the end of the season how we have filled their boots.

“Now is the time for me to repay Joe Royle for the faith he has put in me. Hopefully we can still go up this season, but if not then 2006/07 will be a big one for me and also - I am sure - for the club.

“It has been great to hear and read kind comments about my performances, but I know that there is still plenty of room for improvement.

“I am still very young, and I can get better - scoring more goals and getting in more tackles.”

And he has praise for Klug. “It is phenomenal how many boys have already come through the Academy,” said Garvan.

“And there is so much potential in the Academy that there will definitely be more making the grade before very long.

“Bryan has worked a great deal with me, as he has other youngsters, and he has a fantastic record.”

Garvan admits to being home sick occasionally having left home virtually as soon as he left school. “But then I realise why I am over here and it soon passes,” he said.

“I could not wish to be with a better club than Ipswich, and everything is in place for me to continue to improve and fulfil my dream of becoming a top footballer.”
http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/sport/sportstory.asp?Brand=ESTOnline&Category=Sport&ItemId=IPED27+Oct+2005+11%3A09%3A26%3A330

CraftyToePoke
01/11/2005, 11:36 AM
nice one e.b. sounds like he is happy where he is for now and has a bit about him as well, all good news. i just hope the men in charge dont decide to cash in,i know a season ticket holder at portman road who is currently staying away because of the continuing selling policy.the fans over there are not happy bunnys at the moment,but the upside of that is, this is how Garvan and Supple have gotten their chances.

Reality Bites
01/11/2005, 12:11 PM
Alot of people on the 606 BBC board, are asking about Irelands availability to play for England (such is his early promise), he was born in Ireland,he has an English mother, Italien Grandparents so qualifies for 3 countries..so technically he can play fo 3 countries, but out of those three it obvious we badly need him the most but he can still be poached to play for England.
After watching that nonchalent piece of skill last nite against villa can someone please assure me that this guy will wear the green in the near future..

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2005, 12:14 PM
Have to say that piece of skill Ireland did to Cole was sublime. Don't think there's any other Irish midfielders capable of producing something like that out of nothing. Well McGeady is I suppose but he's not producing the goods at all at the moment...

drinkfeckarse
01/11/2005, 12:16 PM
Alot of people on the 606 BBC board, are asking about Irelands availability to play for England (such is his early promise), he was born in Ireland,he has an English mother, Italien Grandparents so qualifies for 3 countries..so technically he can play fo 3 countries, but out of those three it obvious we badly need him the most but he can still be poached to play for England.
After watching that nonchalent piece of skill last nite against villa can someone please assure me that this guy will wear the green in the near future..

Knowing his Dad (who also played for Ireland U/18's), I would say there's no doubt that Stephens colours are totally nailed to the Green mast.