PDA

View Full Version : Cork star disillusioned with international scene

A face
23/10/2005, 1:51 AM
Cork star disillusioned with international scene

Cork City striker John O’Flynn has expressed his disappointment with the international situation whereby home-based players are routinely overlooked for consideration for the Irish side.

O’Flynn has been one of the top strikers in the eircom League since returning to Cork from Peterborough three years ago, and has also operated with acclaim at under-21 international level.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19647)

Anto McC
23/10/2005, 9:36 AM
He is right and he is only saying what we have been for years,Has any other player ever came out and said anything like that before

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 9:42 AM
Most of them were probably afraid it(i.e speaking out about the situation of EL players and international call ups) would make doubly sure that they would not get picked !

Anto McC
23/10/2005, 10:23 AM
I was thinking the same myself CTID,Fair play to O'Flynn for doing it

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 12:04 PM
I was thinking the same myself CTID,Fair play to O'Flynn for doing it

I agree 100% with you.

EnDai
23/10/2005, 12:26 PM
Toally agreed. He must have big chojones!

RedX
23/10/2005, 4:28 PM
Someone needed to say this for a while and it needed to be one of the top players in the league..well done Flynny!

Stevo Da Gull
23/10/2005, 9:58 PM
Fair play for your honesty Johno.

junkie
23/10/2005, 9:58 PM
Cork star disillusioned with international scene

Cork City striker John O’Flynn has expressed his disappointment with the international situation whereby home-based players are routinely overlooked for consideration for the Irish side.

O’Flynn has been one of the top strikers in the eircom League since returning to Cork from Peterborough three years ago, and has also operated with acclaim at under-21 international level.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19647)

He has every right to speak out and I hope the likes of Hoolahan follow suit.

Good on ya John!

A face
23/10/2005, 10:55 PM
He has every right to speak out and I hope the likes of Hoolahan follow suit.

Good on ya John!

I think Hoolahan has more of a right to speak out to be honest ... injustice done to him is unreal. Matt Holland picked over him ... what is going on there like ??

EnDai
23/10/2005, 11:23 PM
Sure wasn't it Kilbane on the left for the last game? lol

Risteard
24/10/2005, 3:22 PM
Fair play but i don't think Johno himself is back up to that standard yet.
Two years ago definately and maybe he can get back to that form next season.
True nonetheless.

Drumcondra Red
24/10/2005, 3:33 PM
Couldn't he just get his family to pay for his place a la his trials in England???

junkie
24/10/2005, 5:49 PM
I think Hoolahan has more of a right to speak out to be honest ... injustice done to him is unreal. Matt Holland picked over him ... what is going on there like ??

I couldn't agree more. No doubt that O'Flynn deserves a chance but Weso would definitely make the grade. Shels vs Deportivo last year.... he was the best player on the pitch. I watch this guy week in week out and IMO he's a cut above any player in this league. With the likes of Kilbane and Doherty being played regularly it's sickening that Wes is being shunned out simply because he's plays in the eL..... how must Wes feel himself!

pete
24/10/2005, 6:15 PM
I'd say Hoolahan is the type of player that would do better in less physical but more skillful league or quality of football.

EnDai
24/10/2005, 8:47 PM
I couldn't agree more. No doubt that O'Flynn deserves a chance but Weso would definitely make the grade. Shels vs Deportivo last year.... he was the best player on the pitch. I watch this guy week in week out and IMO he's a cut above any player in this league. With the likes of Kilbane and Doherty being played regularly it's sickening that Wes is being shunned out simply because he's plays in the eL..... how must Wes feel himself!
Worth remembering Deportivo made a substitution solely to man-mark and try to contain our very own wing-wizard!

Risteard
24/10/2005, 10:03 PM
Houlihan is the number one worthy choice for a callup alright imo.
Wasn't the dwarf leaving him on the bench at the start of the season though?

pete
25/10/2005, 12:02 AM
Wasn't the dwarf leaving him on the bench at the start of the season though?

Hes too good for Shels hoofball, would do well at City if we could find a place for him.

Rover 2 U
25/10/2005, 8:44 AM
For those that think he done the right thing speaking out now, answer me this. Who was his comment directed towards? We have no international manager! All very well and good to have a go but at somebody who doesn't exist? While I agree with the sentiment of his statement, it would carry a little more weight if there was actually somebody there to hear it!

Troy.McClure
25/10/2005, 12:51 PM
Noticed that alright. To be honest, its probably the only time he can say it + if anyone is going to be listening its going to be Don Givens who will probably be promoted to caretaker senior manager and who has capped Crowe and had Baker in the full squad before + O'Flynn performed really well under him at u21 level