PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final here we come

pete
22/10/2005, 10:39 AM
First Cup final for city since replay win in 1998.

Pitch was very poor caused by crappy U19 game the night before but didn't cut up on the night.

I thought CCFC had majority of possession if not clear goal scoring chances. Derry mainly relied on balls over the top & too much long balls for my liking. Picth shouldn't have suited us but we still tried to pass the ball.

A lot of bookings for Derry which could be vital later in the season. First defeat in 25 for Derry so will be interesting to see how they react. Was good karma that Steve O'Flynn commited the foul for the penalty. Didn't look clearcut on first view but was definite penalty & stupid tackle.

Also thought Derry City looked very tired near the end.

sean1_3
22/10/2005, 10:52 AM
Anyone know what happened to Joh O Flynn? He was called out by the announcer as starting but then he was sitting up behind the dugouts for the match.

ccfcgirl
22/10/2005, 10:53 AM
A cup final has been a long time coming .Cant wait .

pete
22/10/2005, 10:59 AM
Time to concentrate on the league again. Cup Final can be put aside until league over.

redgav
22/10/2005, 1:23 PM
Anyone know what happened to Joh O Flynn? He was called out by the announcer as starting but then he was sitting up behind the dugouts for the match.

re-occurance of the groin strain in the warm up.he was due to start originally,but fair play to denis ,held the line well

yan
22/10/2005, 6:07 PM
i think behan has improved greatly this season, at the start of the year he couldnt hold the ball up to save his life but he has increased 10 fold in last few months!

Peadar
24/10/2005, 9:24 AM
and your only getting to play it in poxy tolka park.:D :D :D :D :D

We won it in Dalymount in 1998.
To be honest, I couldn't care less where it's played, so long as it's not the R poxy SC.
We'll pack Tolka, there'll be a great atmosphere and no one will care that they didn't get to Lansdowne.

If anything, I think the fact that there will be limited capacity will raise the profile of the game because there will be a scramble for tickets.

If we say that Cork City average 4000 at home games and Drogheda average 1500 then surely we should get at least 2 to 1 in the ticket allocation???

Fair_play_boy
25/10/2005, 12:44 AM
First Cup final for city since replay win in 1998.

Pitch was very poor caused by crappy U19 game the night before but didn't cut up on the night.

I thought CCFC had majority of possession if not clear goal scoring chances. Derry mainly relied on balls over the top & too much long balls for my liking. Picth shouldn't have suited us but we still tried to pass the ball.

A lot of bookings for Derry which could be vital later in the season. First defeat in 25 for Derry so will be interesting to see how they react. Was good karma that Steve O'Flynn commited the foul for the penalty. Didn't look clearcut on first view but was definite penalty & stupid tackle.

Also thought Derry City looked very tired near the end.Fair play, Pete. Post-match analysis has gone quiet on this MB. I thought Richardson made cunning use of the sticky ground. Hard passes into space were slowed down well by the mud, and allowed us to round their defences a good bit before Derry copped on to the trick. The conditions did not suit Kearney's finesse, so it was right to take him off. I agree about Behan. He has grown in stature. His first touch is still a bit wooden, but his holding was excellent. Bringing in Billy was an interesting decision, showing that Richardson still has faith in him.
Over all, I think we deserved the win but it was not pretty to watch. Many of the chances that fell to both teams were due to mistakes, which is understandable in the circumstances. The best about the game is that both teams really went out to win, and played with passion. What a contract to the Bray - Drogs game!
Oh, and THAT save by Mick Devine. What a legend that man is.