sligoman
21/10/2005, 9:09 PM
is he still on?Nope:ball:

Fergie's Son
22/10/2005, 12:10 AM
He have much to say?

sligoman
22/10/2005, 12:12 AM
He have much to say?The whole thing will probably be available online soon but here's the quote of the day on elevenaside.com:

"Mick McCarthy took them within sight of the World Cup quarter-final and he got the push. Brian Kerr got them within a point of qualifying and he got the push. I’m glad I’m not applying for the job." - Jack Charlton on the cut-throat world of international management

gustavo
22/10/2005, 12:14 AM
he said he didnt want a portugese french or italian manager but an irishman living and working in england

sylvo
22/10/2005, 12:06 PM
he said he didnt want a portugese french or italian manager but an irishman living and working in england

I guess I could even go for the job if thats the case.:D ;)

lopez
23/10/2005, 10:19 AM
I guess I could even go for the job if thats the case.:D ;)Would it keep you in Babylon, hoss? ;)

sylvo
23/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Would it keep you in Babylon, hoss? ;)

No, I would be doing the job from caislean Sylvo, Kildare.

Cowboy
23/10/2005, 12:55 PM
No, I would be doing the job from caislean Sylvo, Kildare.

dont you mean Cill Dara? :)

sylvo
23/10/2005, 4:11 PM
dont you mean Cill Dara? :)

I do indeed, with a address that is An Mhi.;)

NeilMcD
24/10/2005, 12:04 PM
He had a go at Roy Keane, saying if he cant manage himself how can he manage Ireland.

He got Pat Kenny on one point

Charlton said that Keane is too hot headed every to manage Ireland

Kenny said that there was lots of cases of hot headed players making great managers

Charlton, said name one,

To which Kenny replied, ehm, ehm, I suppose there are none.

eirebhoy
24/10/2005, 12:06 PM
TBF, Kenny hasn't must of a clue about football but I could name a good few hot headed football managers. Keane will make a great manager imo.

NeilMcD
24/10/2005, 12:13 PM
It was hot headed players becoming great managers was the argument. I thought it was funny that Kenny made a sweeping statement without having any facts to back it up.

Graem Souness was a hot headed players, May not a great manger but making a good living from the game.

I think Alex Ferguson was a hot headed player and is one of the great managers of the last 20 years.

noby
24/10/2005, 12:20 PM
Stuart Pearce is new to management, but he's making a good start. They didn't come much more hot-headed. Ok, so you can't say he's great yet.

It's just that the quiet, studious type with a low profile playing career are in vogue at the moment.

OwlsFan
24/10/2005, 12:30 PM
Stuart Peace was not hot headed. Passionate and a genuine hard man in the proper sense of the word (i.e. could give it AND take it) but was not hot headed in the sense that he would fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

BaZmO*
24/10/2005, 12:31 PM
The problem I had with Jack the other night, and tbh any time I hear him speak, is that he's always on the make.
He doesn't really have a clue what is happening with the Irish team at the moment and at the end he was more concerned with plugging his DVD and the signing in Easons. He's still a legend though, in terms of the memories, but he's always out for himself.

B.

Macy
24/10/2005, 12:32 PM
I think Alex Ferguson was a hot headed player and is one of the great managers of the last 20 years.
Ferguson was the obvious one.

Not all that many great managers really. Would've been better saying how many great players made great managers.

Charlton didn't say a lot, except have another pop at Keane. Well worth his appearance fee then... :rolleyes:

PaulB
24/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Saw the late late on Friday, the 2 of them deserve each other. kenny must be the biggest muppet on television globally, he hasn't abreeze. he rolls 'Big Jack' out every season, with the same questions about Roy keane, Saipan, Fishing, load of ******'. As for 'Big jack', never liked the man, as was said earlier the man hasn't clue, totally out of touch.

Don't know whether anyone say the Ire / Eng game from the WC 1990 on Setanta on Friday Night. Jesus christ what a load of tripe..

BaZmO*
24/10/2005, 12:49 PM
Don't know whether anyone say the Ire / Eng game from the WC 1990 on Setanta on Friday Night. Jesus christ what a load of tripe..

Yeah, watched bits of it but I had to turn it off because it was very boring. I knew we played the "Long-Ball" game, but I forgot how boring it could be.

The funniest was the crowd shouting "Put them under pressure"

Oh how innocent we were!

B.

lopez
24/10/2005, 3:01 PM
...He got Pat Kenny on one point. Charlton said that Keane is too hot headed every to manage Ireland. Kenny said that there was lots of cases of hot headed players making great managers. Charlton, said name one, To which Kenny replied, ehm, ehm, I suppose there are none.I would have said you Jack.:D

Emmet
25/10/2005, 9:25 PM

It might have been a load of tripe but at least the guy got us to the World Cup Finals ... twice. And the European Championships once.

brine3
25/10/2005, 9:45 PM
Hmmm. I see that Jack mentioned that he had never met Brian Kerr.

Except for when he stormed into the changing room of one of Brian Kerr's youth matches at half time of course...

Pat Kenny is useless isn't he. I can name a few hotheads that didn't do too badly in management.

Cowboy
26/10/2005, 8:10 AM
Hmmm. I see that Jack mentioned that he had never met Brian Kerr.

Except for when he stormed into the changing room of one of Brian Kerr's youth matches at half time of course...

Pat Kenny is useless isn't he. I can name a few hotheads that didn't do too badly in management.

Was n't Liam Tuohy manager then ?

sparkey
26/10/2005, 12:02 PM
Was n't Liam Tuohy manager then ?
Yes but Kerr was Touhys assistant.

Cowboy
26/10/2005, 3:28 PM
Yes but Kerr was Touhys assistant.

True but your post suggested that Kerr was manager, he may not have even been in the room.

sligoman
29/10/2005, 4:18 PM
Watch it again (http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20051021.html)