PDA

View Full Version : So as the season nears the end

Pages : [1] 2

Block G Raptor
21/10/2005, 1:14 PM
So as the season nears the end just wondering what was your most memorable moment so far this season
ive a few
1.my three year old daughter going bannanas when bohs scored against ka Ghent on her first european night in the home of Irish football

2. our last minute winner against bray (although this should not have been followed by that ridiculous pitch invasion )

3. j.p kelly's first goal against athlone in the cup

Anto McC
21/10/2005, 1:16 PM
The Whole 90mins Away to Glentoran

Schumi
21/10/2005, 1:16 PM
Has to be the two goals v Shels in the league cup semi.

Passive
21/10/2005, 1:44 PM
It's been a fairly quiet season at Rovers:

- Supporter boycott of home games
- Coup against the directors
- High Court appointed accountant running the club
- Fans takeover
- Manager getting in a punch-up with a rival director
- Placing our entire squad on the free transfer list
- Player facing deportation
- Seeds of civil war between rival supporter factions
- Couple more punch-ups
- ERU on patrol at matches
- 8 point deduction
- GAA trying to rob our new stadium
- Manager spreading lies in the papers

In between all this, we managed to fight a relegation battle, beat Bohs and Shels, and see Paddy McCourt score three of the best Rovers goals ever.

More of the same next year, hopefully.

bohsmug
So as the season nears the end just wondering what was your most memorable moment so far this season
ive a few
1.my three year old daughter going bannanas when bohs scored against ka Ghent on her first european night in the home of Irish football

2. our last minute winner against bray (although this should not have been followed by that ridiculous pitch invasion )

3. j.p kelly's first goal against athlone in the cup

I know it was tainted by what happened in the following weeks but could you really leave out Foley's winner against Drogs at home?

Beating Shels 2 - 1

For the record I thought the pitch invasion was funny when it happened (an isolated incident at the time) but that's a whole 'nother debate I don't want to get into.

P.S. I've never invaded the pitch during a game

sfc red
1. Atmosphere away to glens
2. performance home to glens
3. bohs at home

but best of all, CITY IT WASNT OVER THE LINE!!

Roo69
21/10/2005, 1:56 PM
High Point - Tarzan's winner Vs. St. Pats (Bray won 1-0) his celebration was priceless.

Low Point - Loosing 1-0 to Bohs in Dayler, we played them off the pitch and any other day we would have scored 5 or 6 at least

KR's Post
21/10/2005, 1:56 PM
(1)Coming from 2 goals down against Shels in the Carlisle and draw 2-2 to wreck their chances of ever winning the league this season.

(2)Our first game and first win of the season against Pats.

(3)Our draw in the x, not many have gone there and done that...

(4)Losing 3-0 to Drogheda and singing for all of 35mins non-stop...

(5)As Roo said, The uncles goal against Pats. Talk about a celebration!!! I was nearly on the pitch....

ColinR
21/10/2005, 1:57 PM
- Supporter boycott of home games
- Coup against the directors
- High Court appointed accountant running the club
- Fans takeover
- Manager getting in a punch-up with a rival director
- Placing our entire squad on the free transfer list
- Player facing deportation
- Seeds of civil war between rival supporter factions
- Couple more punch-ups
- ERU on patrol at matches
- 8 point deduction
- GAA trying to rob our new stadium
- Manager spreading lies in the papers

so not much happening this season with rovers then...

for us, the winning of our first major trophy will be the highlight!! (touch-wood) ;)

Jaime
21/10/2005, 2:00 PM
Can vaguely remember beating Rovers during the summer, but it seems ages ago. Crap season. :mad:

KR's Post
21/10/2005, 2:07 PM
for us, the winning of our first major trophy will be the highlight!! (touch-wood) ;)

Not going off topic, but It's Our Cup this year ColinR!!!!;)

Anto McC
21/10/2005, 2:11 PM
(1)Coming from 2 goals down against Shels in the Carlisle and draw 2-2 to wreck their chances of ever winning the league this season.

Eh,we lost the title a long time before that game,if anyone,UCD should claim that feat from their draw with us on the opening day of the season

Roo69
21/10/2005, 2:17 PM
Eh,we lost the title a long time before that game,if anyone,UCD should claim that feat from their draw with us on the opening day of the season

your having a laugh right ? 1st game of the season......... :confused:

pineapple stu
21/10/2005, 2:20 PM
Wrecking Shels' chances of winning the league on the opening day of the season. :)
Wrecking Shels' chances of winning the League Cup with two injury time goals. :D
And Conan's equaliser in the League Cup Final. UCD don't get very many moments when 30-odd fans will go absolutely mental at a goal (think Robbie Griffin v. Drogheda in the year we went down was the last time), but that goal felt good. Until Podge McWalter scored three minutes later...
Last minute winner to beat Doolin's Drogheda away from home was also nice!

KR's Post
21/10/2005, 2:25 PM

No No... That game was the pivitul moment when Ollie, Fenlon the players and You guys knew that the title wasmslipping ever so slwly away from you. Sure we drew with Cork a week after you guy's drew with UCD so what are ya on about!! They were the exact same...

Anto McC
21/10/2005, 2:33 PM
No No... That game was the pivitul moment when Ollie, Fenlon the players and You guys knew that the title wasmslipping ever so slwly away from you. Sure we drew with Cork a week after you guy's drew with UCD so what are ya on about!! They were the exact same...

It wasnt so much the result as it was the performance.
UCD a newly promoted side,put it up to us and we couldnt really find an answer,any team since that put it up to us has managed to get at least a point of us

I realised for sure we werent going to win it after our second game against Rovers.Despite the fact we won 2-0,it was all about the performance,if Gough had scored the peno in that game,i think it might have ended very differently

sligoman
21/10/2005, 2:43 PM
1. Sean Flannery's goal away to Monaghan
2. Sean Flannery's goal at home to Galway
3. The atmosphere in the Showgies against St.Pat's in the cup
4. Beating St.Pat's in the cup.
5. Been robbed against CHF in Dublin by poor refereeing and diving cheaters:mad:
6. Drawing to Malahide at home in the cup:o

Conor H
21/10/2005, 2:45 PM
1The 2 games against Cork that we should have won.:mad:
2 The atmosphere created by us against Sligo in the showgrounds.
That's it...pretty bad season:(

sligoman
21/10/2005, 2:46 PM
1The 2 games against Cork that we should have won.:mad:
2 The atmosphere created by us against Sligo in the showgrounds.
That's it...pretty bad season:(Was waiting for you to pop up:rolleyes: :D :p

bigmac
21/10/2005, 2:51 PM
I'll let you know at the end of the season. I'm hoping that it'll be something along the lines of
Securing premier division status by taking 5 points from Cork City over the course of the year and thus handing Derry City the title :)

Speranza
21/10/2005, 3:00 PM
1. Barry Molloy's wondergoal against Cork in the Brandy to make it 3-1

2. The atmosphere at above match and the supporters meeting and singing together at the end just summed up everything I love about our league

3. Beating H**ps three times

4. Beating $hels all the time :D

5. The general feeling of optimism going into games and not being scarded of relegation. Back where we belong.

coislaoi
21/10/2005, 3:14 PM
Beating Shels 2-0 at Tolka and putting it up to them physically at the same time. Thinking of it now beating them at home in the Setanta and league was pretty good too.:D
Our European performances were a highlight too, particularly at home to Djudargens.

sligoman
21/10/2005, 3:15 PM
Beating Galway 4-1 at home in front of four, yes four, Galway fans;)

KR's Post
21/10/2005, 3:44 PM
Low Point - Loosing 1-0 to Bohs in Dayler, we played them off the pitch and any other day we would have scored 5 or 6 at least

Ye i remember looking at you Roo and the disbelief on your face after each chance we missed was priceless!!!;)

harpskid
21/10/2005, 3:46 PM
-Hammering Rovers twice
-Drawing 0-0 with Cork in the cup and coming so close in the replay
-The return of the best derby in LOI football (hope we can stay up to taste the derby atmosphere next year again)
-Us being pish:o

Conor H
21/10/2005, 3:55 PM
Beating Galway 4-1 at home in front of four, yes four, Galway fans;)
:rolleyes: .Well there was alot more than 4 of us at the last game and yee certainly knew we were there.

sligoman
21/10/2005, 3:58 PM
:rolleyes: .Well there was alot more than 4 of us at the last game and yee certainly knew we were there.Yeah cos ye tried to climb onto the pitch:D. Ah no, I dont want to start another row or hijack this thread, I'm just joking with ya;)

BrayZil
21/10/2005, 3:58 PM
1) Beating Pats 1-0 in the Carlisle with Tarzans 87th minute winner.
2) Beating UCD 3-2 in the quarter finals of the FAI Cup.
3) Beating Waterford 1-0 last week. (Crucial game!)

DvB
21/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Seeing Rovers beat Derry in the Brandywell 3-2, in 19 trips there i'd never saw the hoops get the three points!
Beating Shels 2-1 at Tolka, after going a goal down, getting a man sent off & missing a peno!
Beating Waterford 1-0 at the RSC for the first time! Beating Bohs 3-1 after going a goal down and again being reduced to 10 men!
Beating Longford 4-2 after going 2-1 down & looking dead & buried!

Oh and all that other stuff Passive mentioned!!

Koh

Conor H
21/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Yeah cos ye tried to climb onto the pitch:D. Ah no, I dont want to start another row or hijack this thread, I'm just joking with ya;)
Ya ok we'll we'll forget all that stuff.;)

sonofstan
21/10/2005, 4:40 PM
Hate to say it but ...
Foley's goals against Ghent and Drogs at home
Beating Shels at Dalyer
Longford away, despite the result - just for the 5'1" you'd like to be 5'1" chant at O'Brien

Rovers1
21/10/2005, 5:40 PM
Flannerys goal v Galway
Pats game
being 6 points clear at one stage
seeing 1.Sligo Rovers on teletext
Kupunos equaliser against Cork

sligoman
21/10/2005, 5:50 PM
Flannerys goal v Galway
Pats game
being 6 points clear at one stage
seeing 1.Sligo Rovers on teletext
Kupunos equaliser against CorkCouple of corrections for ya;)

1. We were 8 points clear at one stage so would that not be better?:confused:
2. Kupono's goal against Cork was to take the lead, not equalise;)

:D

1 9 2 8
21/10/2005, 7:51 PM
Top of the league
The Shed end re-opened
Sean Flannery back
Cork away- Great weekend
Monaghan away- Great atmosphere
Limerick away-Great performance
More to follow...

gustavo
21/10/2005, 9:43 PM
-the privelidge of watching cretaro , mc tiernan , mcnamara , o grady , kudozovic and o hara on a regular basis and all bar 1 being from connacht
- us being top for most of the season
- beating galway united 4-1
- beating pats 2-1

Bosco
21/10/2005, 10:25 PM
Its been a relatively unmemorable season in terms of individual games + goals

Positives:
Beating glentoran in the last minute at flancare
The general setanta cup experience
Pushing for third for a period(or were we)
Good home form for once

Negatives:
The embarrassment of camarthen
The banning of rovers fans from flancare
Very poor attendances
The heavy criticism that we have come under for a number of reasons from other fans
Poor away form
Predictable bad start to the season with a good period during the summer

dfx-
21/10/2005, 10:53 PM
1. Barry Murphy

2. The atmosphere at home to Drogheda and the steward encouraging more noise with 5 minutes left...complete unity. Drogheda were not going to be allowed score that night. :cool:

3. Beating Shels 1-2 at Tolka for our first 3 points of the season..still goes down as one of the best and sweetest victories as a Rovers fan for me.

4. Beating Bohs 1-3 away. See above because it was that easy in the end that it banishes the last minute Cup semifinal defeat there and Hunt's penalty a couple of years ago to distant memories...

5. The 2-3 win in Bray...1-0 down with a *patched up* side and the start of the run which could well be what we stay up with

Amongst others:D

mypost
21/10/2005, 11:40 PM
So as the season nears the end

You'd think the league had about 1 game left to play, and the cup was won, by that statement. :rolleyes:

As it is, both of them are still undecided, and there's a ding-dong promotion/relegation scrap going on, with 6 games left for one Premier Division club.

There is still a lot of football to be played, and a lot of issues to be decided. This season is far from over yet!! ;)

fbtn
22/10/2005, 12:53 AM
You'd think the league had about 1 game left to play, and the cup was won, by that statement. :rolleyes:

As it is, both of them are still undecided, and there's a ding-dong promotion/relegation scrap going on, with 6 games left for one Premier Division club.

There is still a lot of football to be played, and a lot of issues to be decided. This season is far from over yet!! ;)

Spot on.

I'll do a mypost and leave it a few weeks I think. Massive, massive games coming up for a lot of clubs in the next few weeks!

B-Stand
22/10/2005, 6:32 AM
Sh1te season, can't wait for it to be over, but there has been some memorable moments.

1- Foleys last minute winner against Drogheda after we were 2-1 down with 1 minute to go.

2- Harkins last minute winner in Bray and the stupidly brilliant ;) pitch invasion.

3- The 'Welcome to Hell' return of the Judai coupled with us beating them 2-1 back in May.

4- The atmosphere created by us in Ghent.

5- The Big Club beating the Dream Team 6-1 ;)

TonyD
22/10/2005, 9:19 PM
This thread has just served to remind me how sheight a season Pats have had. :mad: I was trying to come up with a highlight from the season and I'm damned if I can. The closest is probably the first half performance at home to UCD when we went 3-0 up. The only time we've looked like a decent side. Even then, we let in 2 in the 2nd half and end up hanging on. Roll on November and an end to it. (and hope to Christ we can improve next year.)

MariborKev
22/10/2005, 9:41 PM
Ollie in the Riverside on his own during our 2-1 win in the League.

He kept running up and down the length of the stand to keep up with play and berate the linesman.

The ball was booted up into the back of Roverside and Ollie raced up the stairs to retrieve it. The City supporters burst into a spontaneous chorus of the theme tune from Rocky.

My moment of the season, without doubt.

Rovers1
22/10/2005, 9:58 PM
Couple of corrections for ya;)

1. We were 8 points clear at one stage so would that not be better?:confused:
2. Kupono's goal against Cork was to take the lead, not equalise;)

:D

sorry yeah,i was looking at the paper id saved the day after it and realised my mistake

mypost
23/10/2005, 5:41 AM
Sh1te season, can't wait for it to be over.

So just because Bohs season is over, means the season is nearing the end?? Bohs logic!! :rolleyes:

There still is a lot of football to be played this season, and only after it has, can fans' memories be chosen and debated on.

dfx-
23/10/2005, 5:17 PM
There still is a lot of football to be played this season, and only after it has, can fans' memories be chosen and debated on.

:rolleyes:

There isn't you know....many seasons are already over and they can start reminiscing...Longford, Bray, UCD, $hels for example.

Winning trophies like Drogheda might or the league winning will be added of course, but regardless oif when you hold this, those will be there...

But with 88% of the season gone, I think we can safely assume there on't be very much left to remember except

1. Winning a trophy and
2. Surviving relegation.

And even then that only involves 4 or 5 teams anyway. So it is times for memories already with 9/10ths of the season gone.:rolleyes:

Maz
23/10/2005, 5:26 PM
Its been a relatively unmemorable season in terms of individual games + goals

Positives:
Beating glentoran in the last minute at flancare
The general setanta cup experience
Pushing for third for a period(or were we)
Good home form for once

Negatives:
The embarrassment of camarthen
The banning of rovers fans from flancare
Very poor attendances
The heavy criticism that we have come under for a number of reasons from other fans
Poor away form
Predictable bad start to the season with a good period during the summer

All that plus under negative the 5-0 annihilation to Harps!

mypost
23/10/2005, 6:59 PM
There isn't you know....many seasons are already over and they can start reminiscing...Longford, Bray, UCD, $hels for example.

So we have a Hoop sticking up for Gypos! :eek:

It's not the rest of the league's fault that Bohs' season, and others around them, is as good as over. The league is not solely restricted to them. Cork, Derry, Drogheda, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Waterford, and Harps all have something to play for in the remaining games. That's 2/3rds of the league's clubs. There are 4-5 games left, and a Cup Final to be played, so nothing is decided yet. Until it is, memories of the season must be put on hold.

ps bohs
23/10/2005, 11:51 PM
So we have a Hoop sticking up for Gypos! :eek:

It's not the rest of the league's fault that Bohs' season, and others around them, is as good as over. The league is not solely restricted to them. Cork, Derry, Drogheda, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Waterford, and Harps all have something to play for in the remaining games. That's 2/3rds of the league's clubs. There are 4-5 games left, and a Cup Final to be played, so nothing is decided yet. Until it is, memories of the season must be put on hold.

bohs season is far from over there is still a setanta cup spot to be won and possibly a toto cup spot too

superfrank
25/10/2005, 1:57 PM
-Beating Waterford in Waterford back in July(?).
-2-2 wiuth Shels when it looked like they'd win 8-0 after ten minutes.
-Franco's goal against Hearts. I don't care if we lost 5-1, the best goal I remember seeing live.
-The Cup Semi

Block G Raptor
24/11/2005, 10:57 AM
Bumping Back up