PDA

View Full Version : More players joining Keely and Co.

Neil
03/05/2002, 1:00 PM
Kildare County signed players nine and ten on Thursday, with Shay Zellor and James O'Callaghan moving to the Thoroughbreds.

Zellor swapped life in the top-flight with Longford Town for what he hopes is a brief spell in the First Division, while O'Callaghan joined from relegated Monaghan United.

The pair are expected to be followed by another brace of Premier Division stars later on Friday. Kildare manager Dermot Keely said: "I'll hope to make a couple of signings today that will surprise a few people."

Zellor, who can play on the right wing and up front, and left-back O'Callaghan have joined eight other players at Station Road.

Keely already has five former Kilkenny City players; Gareth Byrne, Damien Brennan, Peter Rogers, Glen Brien and Ben Whelehan. John Ryan - famed for his hat-trick for Bray Wanderers in the 1990 FAI Cup final - also joined last week.

Two players have been signed from the Shelbourne under-21 squad; striker Michael McCann and midfielder Ray Scully (both 19).

The move to Kildare County has clearly rejuvenated the enthusiasm of the former Shamrock Rovers player-manager, who appeared drained when he announced his resignation from Shels on the final day of last season.

"I haven't forgotten how to hustle," he said. "I'm really enjoying this. I feel like a young fellow once again."

Four Newbridge Town players are expected to be snapped up by the Throughbreds. Strikers Philip Gorman and Alan Kelly, and central midfielders Mark Hedrington and Alan Brennan are "players of great potential," according to Keely's assistant manager John Gill.

Meanwhile, Kildare have lined up home friendlies against Bray Wanderers and Shelbourne. The dates have not yet been fixed, but the matches will take place in mid to late June. Two other friendlies against Premier Division sides will be confirmed later this month, one at home and the other an away tie.

According to Gill: "Clubs are ringing Dermot to play us. There is a lot of interest in this club at the moment."

by Mark McCadden - setanta.com

Neil
03/05/2002, 1:07 PM
Kildare County boss Dermot Keely is expected to unveil Longford Town striker Keith O’Connor as his latest signing.

The 24-year-old injury-prone frontman is another of Keely’s targets for Kildare’s inaugural season in the eircom League Premier Division.

Keely still has a bit of work to do to get O’Connor to put pen to paper but is confident having already tempted Shay Zellor away from Flancare Park.

sports.com

Schumi
03/05/2002, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by Neil
the Thoroughbreds :rolleyes:

And I thought the Vikings was bad!

gustavo
07/05/2002, 3:04 AM
Ah Peter Rogers .. Look up journeyman footballer in the dictionary and he will be the very definition of it. BTW what colours will Kildare be using next season?

Éanna
07/05/2002, 2:01 PM
I think they said white.

Schumi
07/05/2002, 2:44 PM
I'd assume white. Identify with the county and all that. Isn't it $hit that identifying with the county/locality means copying the GAA colours?

Éanna
07/05/2002, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I'd assume white. Identify with the county and all that. Isn't it $hit that identifying with the county/locality means copying the GAA colours?
*cough* what are ucd's colours *cough*:D Doesn't bother me, the GAA got there first in terms of county colours and if people identify with them then it doesn't bother me.