PDA

View Full Version : Cork v Derry in doubt

MariborKev
20/10/2005, 9:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/4362248.stm

Match in doubt.

A load of our lads are flying down from Belfast at 8.40 so they will be in Cork before the decision is made

sligoman
20/10/2005, 10:02 PM
What time was the match due to kick off at?:confused:

crc
20/10/2005, 10:11 PM
What time was the match due to kick off at?:confused:
7.40pm

dcfcsteve
20/10/2005, 11:18 PM
What the four XXXX were the FAI and Cork City/MFA doing holding a game on a pitch less than 24hrs before the same pitch is to appear on TV being used for a major game ?

Bad weather at this time of year is no great surprise, so it's not like the rain is unexpected ! Even if it hadn't been bucketing down, the pitch wouldn't have looked its best anyway for what could be a great TV spectacle.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'short-sighted'......

A face
20/10/2005, 11:35 PM
What the four XXXX were the FAI and Cork City/MFA doing holding a game on a pitch less than 24hrs before the same pitch is to appear on TV being used for a major game ?

Hold up there .... City have nothing to do with it .... the MFA and FAI have agreed this between them ... City play their games on Friday nights, its not a secret ... and we play roughly 45 games there a year.

It does maybe raise the need for a stipulation to be entered into the contract between both City and MFA to help avoid this in future but definitely .... City have nothing to do with this ... if you want to vent anger .. and by all means do ..... info@fai.ie

harry crumb
21/10/2005, 12:32 AM
How the **** did those ****ing idiots allow an u-19 match to go ahead in those conditions tonight, with an FAI Cup semi-final on tomorrow night.

Could you imagine the GAA doing the same? They wouldnt even allow the Down players walk on the pitch the day before their final.

Seriously what the **** is going on????:mad:

Ive taken a day off work to go to the game and I was sitting next a Derry supporter on the bus down and he was almost crying when he was listening to the reports from Pat McAullive.

What the point in emailing the FAI!:confused:

Have you seen their website? They dont even have the semi final draw updated yet.

I havent heard one ad on TV about the match. They are too concerned with spending an extra €300000 on the next manager's contract.

All this after the farce on Monday night in Belfield.

It breaks my heart, my spirit, AHHHGH!!! .:( :mad:

A face
21/10/2005, 1:58 AM
What the point in emailing the FAI!:confused:

So they will know you are p!ssed off .... if you dont tell them ... you can be 100% sure that they wont ever know.

The website is very well done ... it just not updated that often.

I do hear ya man .... it aint ideal for anyone involved !!

patsh
21/10/2005, 7:54 AM

As has been already stated, this has NOTHING to do with City.
The FAI had two alternative venues for the U-19 game, but choose to ignore both.
The FAI are the single greatest shower of incompetent, moronic arseh*les in the history of the entire world.

harry crumb
21/10/2005, 9:01 AM
So they will know you are p!ssed off .... if you dont tell them ... you can be 100% sure that they wont ever know.

The website is very well done ... it just not updated that often.

The website is poor. The fact that is not updated is a massive thing. They had an ad campaign on the radio a few weeks ago(lord know how much it cost) directing people to www.eircomleague.ie and then you see the condition of the website.:rolleyes:

Duffman
21/10/2005, 9:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/4362248.stm

Match in doubt.

A load of our lads are flying down from Belfast at 8.40 so they will be in Cork before the decision is made

Typical lack of communication. Hope your lads don't have a wasted trip the so. Come on you Candy stripes!

coislaoi
21/10/2005, 9:39 AM
FAI Statement (from Official CCFC site);

"preliminary inspection of Turners Cross at 9.30am this morning
revealed that there had been considerable improvement in the pitch
following last night's downpours in Cork. A team of six are currently
working on the pitch. A final inspection will take place at 1pm but at
this stage the FAI Carlsberg Cup Semi Final between Cork City and Derry
City will take place as scheduled."

A face
21/10/2005, 10:25 AM
FAI had been offered a pitch in Fermoy and in the Mardyke but decided to stay with the cross

Did they even know they had their cup game the following night ??

NY Hoop
21/10/2005, 10:33 AM
Absolutely beggars belief that the FAI would hold 2 important games in 2 days at the same venue whatever the weather:rolleyes:

When I heard the Ireland U19 result last night had presumed that it was from Cobh cos I didnt think they would be that stupid!

Brings me back to the point of one team in a Cup semi final having home advantage which is ridiculous...........

KOH

mandrake
21/10/2005, 10:40 AM
two games in one day
this is ridiculous alright, i'd say if you told the applicants for ireland the manager job it would show them the baffoons they would be working for...

dcfcsteve
21/10/2005, 10:40 AM
FAI Statement (from Official CCFC site);

"preliminary inspection of Turners Cross at 9.30am this morning
revealed that there had been considerable improvement in the pitch
following last night's downpours in Cork. Though even if there hadn't been, we'd still say so to cover our arses. A team of six are currently
working on the pitch with hairdryers. A final inspection will take place at 1pm but at this stage the FAI Carlsberg Cup Semi Final between Cork City and Derry City will take place as scheduled, though we are hoping for a torrential downpour this afternoon so we can blame it for the state of the pitch........"

mandrake
21/10/2005, 10:41 AM
i meant two games in two days sorry

dcfcsteve
21/10/2005, 10:44 AM
two games in one day
this is ridiculous alright, i'd say if you told the applicants for ireland the manager job it would show them the baffoons they would be working for...

Two games is bad enough. But when you consider that one of them is a sell-out cup semi-final, televised live, between the 2 best teams in the league, whilst the other is a junior match that could literally have been played anywhere in the State, it leaves me absolutely astounded at the stupidity involved.

Someone please tell me that the FAI make these decisions deliberately. No-one could be that bumbling or stupid.....

Risteard
21/10/2005, 11:34 AM
Brings me back to the point of one team in a Cup semi final having home advantage which is ridiculous...........

Not really. There was home advantage in every round. Think neutral venue semi-finals is only a recent fad in Ingurland.
Luck of the draw.
Tough cookie.

Macy
21/10/2005, 11:46 AM
Think neutral venue semi-finals is only a recent fad in Ingurland.
No, goes way back afaik. certainly pre-war. It's a recent fad to play them at Wembley/Cardiff though.

Personally, I think they should be neutral venue, but the games would have to be Weekend afternoons.

ThatGuy
21/10/2005, 11:54 AM
FAI had been offered a pitch in Fermoy and in the Mardyke but decided to stay with the cross

Are those stadiums? If not I doubt that the FAI were too keen to have the matches played on fields.

The game should have been played in another EL ground to be honest.

A face
21/10/2005, 11:58 AM
info@fai.ie ..... if you dont want to mail them ... thats fine but dont put other off who will let them know. If you are not going to mail them, shut up ... this does not concern you.

Anyone interested in change .... you should mail them.

pete
21/10/2005, 1:15 PM
Games at the cross in last week

City v Drogs Fri
Ire v NI Mon
Ire v Italy Thurs

The U19 tournament has already used Fermoy for lesser Moldova v Italy game. No need for big ground unless a big crowd.

FAI decision, nothing CCFC could do about.

Copa Mundial
22/10/2005, 8:55 AM
I dont particularly want to aportion blame on anyone,but there was a very simple solution to all of this. The FAI knew of the UEFA tournament before the draw was made but insisted that the first 2 teams drawn out of the hat would play their semi on the friday and the second semi would be played on sunday. With a little bit of foresight, it would have been much easier to fix Cork v Derry for sunday and Drogs v Bray for friday. It may have even suited all 4 clubs.
Of course it's easy to say this after all is said and done :ball:

patsh
22/10/2005, 9:07 AM
I dont particularly want to aportion blame on anyone,but there was a very simple solution to all of this. The FAI knew of the UEFA tournament before the draw was made but insisted that the first 2 teams drawn out of the hat would play their semi on the friday and the second semi would be played on sunday. With a little bit of foresight, it would have been much easier to fix Cork v Derry for sunday and Drogs v Bray for friday. It may have even suited all 4 clubs.
Of course it's easy to say this after all is said and done :ball:
but the FAI don't do solutions, only f*ckups.....

CollegeTillIDie
22/10/2005, 9:16 AM
but the FAI don't do solutions, only f*ckups.....

Why couldn't the Under 19 game have taken place at Bishopstown?

Copa Mundial
22/10/2005, 10:56 AM

Because due to the nature of the tournament, and 3 out of the 4 teams involved still had a chance of qualification going into the last series of games, both had to kick off at the same time...and bishopstown has no floodlights. Whatever about a venue change, UEFA will never budge when it comes to KO times in a tournament of that nature. The Mardyke would have been ideal. Anyhow,its all insignificant at this stage.:ball:

patsh
22/10/2005, 12:56 PM
The Mardyke and Fermoy's pitch were offered, Midelton's pitch was also available and suitable, yet they insisted that it be played at the Cross.
The fact that the semi-final went ahead there and nobody was injured because of the conditions will mean that they now feel completely justified.
W*nkers.....:mad: