PDA

View Full Version : International rules

Pages : [1] 2

paul_oshea
20/10/2005, 2:54 PM
can anyone tell me if its on anything but rte as i wouldnt mind seeing it but i dont beleive it will be on any tv over here in occupied england?

carricksmasher
21/10/2005, 7:48 AM
setanta are showing a repeat of the game on saturday but i have not seen any mention of it being showed live

carrickharp
21/10/2005, 8:11 AM
Setanta Sports:
International Rules: Australia vs. Ireland
Saturday, 22 October 08:00
Current Cup holders Ireland face Australia in the opening test of the 2005 International Rules held yesterday at Subiaco Oval, Perth. Can the Aussies regain their pride and regain the trophy they lost last year at Croker?

pete
21/10/2005, 11:12 AM
One of the most pointless sports event every year.

Clifford
21/10/2005, 11:37 AM
Live on rte 1 and on the afl website if you interested.

46-29 to Oz at end of 2nd quarter, men against boys to be honest. Gooch et al are being out muscled every single time. Our shooting which used to get us out of jail is woeful and it's the Aussies who look like the lads who throw over points for fun not us.

Maybe this is indicitive of how crap gaa has gone. No skill, only muscle and not even real muscle when up against these giants from down under.

Risteard
21/10/2005, 11:42 AM
I know Kennellys injured but where are Setanta and Aisake?

Jerry The Saint
21/10/2005, 12:54 PM
Based on performance and results, Pete McGrath must be fired. Our decline in the World rankings (from 1 to 2) is unacceptable. :mad: I propose that a 3-man subcommitte is set up to headhunt someone who can get the best out of the players that we have, can make tactical adjustments when required at the highest level and is committed to managing the side.

pete
21/10/2005, 1:03 PM
I think they need to eliminate the tackle & bring back in the sole from foot. Ireland would have reasonable chance then.

Troy.McClure
21/10/2005, 1:25 PM
If anyone saw it, it was one hell of an arse whooping by the Ozzies! :(

Drumcondra Red
21/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Although its only played once (twice) a year, its an absolutly cracking sport!!!

paul_oshea
21/10/2005, 3:38 PM
ya the hitting is great craic. thats awful early to be repeating it.

liam88
21/10/2005, 5:44 PM
Can't believe that ! 100-63....aw well

sligoman
21/10/2005, 6:12 PM
Was at the second game in Croker last year. I'm not into Gaelic at all but this was good enough craic, especially when the little dog ran onto the pitch and was on it for about 10 minutes chasing after the ball:eek: :D

pete
22/10/2005, 10:09 AM
Seen few minutes in the pub last night & irish lads can't tackle as in they don't even try to tackle. When they are close to player with ball they should be tackling him into the turf - they badly need a couple of weeks with a rugby defensive coach. Even if he offloads you'll still get your hit in.

:rolleyes:

Maz
22/10/2005, 10:19 AM
The ozzies were more powerful intimidating and accurate in both passing and scoring. Alot of the big names in GAA and the experienced players were brutal yesterday. Ciaran McDonald, Padraig Joyce, Eoin Mulligan they were none existant.I thought Gooch did alright, considering he is a skinny little fella.
From the start you could see Australia were better, they intimidated the lads, plenty of late (bad) tackles and they got away with them. You could see the short hand passing game suited Ireland and yet nearly every kick out went down to Joyce et all and was lost.

geysir
22/10/2005, 12:18 PM
46-29 to Oz at end of 2nd quarter, men against boys to be honest. Gooch et al are being out muscled every single time. Our shooting which used to get us out of jail is woeful and it's the Aussies who look like the lads who throw over points for fun not us.
Maybe this is indicitive of how crap gaa has gone. No skill, only muscle and not even real muscle when up against these giants from down under.I thought it was quite obvious that there are more skills involved with the gaelic football game (apart from the oval ball control skill.)
I had a look at my first afl game on tg4 some weeks ago. I was surprised at the lack of real physical tackling, considering that almost anything goes. The afl players know when to offload and are good at turning their player. The game flowed as much as any football game flows. The only thing that I thought it lacked (as a game) was a crossbar. They have a goalkeeper of sorts but it is a surreal situation when there is no height limit to scoring a goal.

anto eile
22/10/2005, 12:42 PM
crap makey-uppy game. its not a real sport. dont know why people support it. its a joke

Dodge
22/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Seriously, its like a playground sport. lets kick it as far as we can and then everyrun run like mad after it. We'll all jump on whoever gets the ball and then kick it somewhere near the goal

Maz
22/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Seriously, its like a playground sport. lets kick it as far as we can and then everyrun run like mad after it. We'll all jump on whoever gets the ball and then kick it somewhere near the goal
It's great isnt it!? :)

pete
22/10/2005, 12:59 PM
crap makey-uppy game. its not a real sport. dont know why people support it. its a joke

Agree completely. If the GAA want to be international they need to push their sport their own sport or just accept that they a regional sport.

The Aussies only put kids in the team & i'd say they irish lads been on the p!ss all week. Wheres the Herald expose?

geysir
22/10/2005, 3:35 PM
That would also describe some of the El teams I saw on TV :)
Both games (Aussie+ Gaa) have their own have their merits, the hybrid game does not come near either game. It takes months of training and playing together to get a championship team up to form.
Not only are the hybrid players not sure of what is expected or what to do when it is not working but also the 2 referees are on different planes. Imo either this hybrid format is taken seriously or it is dropped.

gustavo
26/10/2005, 12:26 PM
its great entertainment though !

centre mid
26/10/2005, 4:22 PM
Its just a **** up for the lads, last year all the Aussies were on the garlge the night before the 2nd test in town

blobbyblob
28/10/2005, 10:03 AM
anyone got a site where i can get this?

tayto repairman
28/10/2005, 10:22 AM
http://afl.com.au

media player there is very good.

not looking good for us in the second quarter.

Clifford
28/10/2005, 10:55 AM
Don't bother we're gettin hammered physically and on the score board. Filthy aussies as usual...

Soko
28/10/2005, 11:03 AM
Don't bother we're gettin hammered physically and on the score board. Filthy aussies as usual...

Spot on. Time to disbaNd this unless they can control those animals, that Johnson ****er should be in jail for that tackle and proceeding 10 slaps he threw out. He gets sent off and they replace him - where do we benifit from that and how is that supposed to discourage that filth? Good game if played properly but now its just a farce.

fbtn
28/10/2005, 11:12 AM
Anyone watching it now???

Sweet Jesus but they are knocking ten colours of sh!te out of one another.

Never seen anything like it!!!

They have converted me that is for sure :)

Dublin12
28/10/2005, 11:23 AM
Is that ginger kerry fella playing:confused: ,I say he'd be handy if it kicked off:rolleyes:

tayto repairman
28/10/2005, 11:25 AM
yep

even the aussie commentators are embarrassed by their own team's behaviour.

we're doing much better now though.

certainly not a 100 pointer for the aussies this one.

éire abu!

Clifford
28/10/2005, 12:00 PM
Is that ginger kerry fella playing:confused: ,I say he'd be handy if it kicked off:rolleyes:

Who Gooch? :D Ha ha, he came on for ten seconds, fell over and cried when a big bad aussie came near him and then fecked off.

Even though the Aussies had a couple of shocking hits, I must laugh at the RTE commentary team who are whinging like a bunch of pansies about the physical element. Have they ever watched Tyrone or Armagh play "football"?? Never seen a dust up in Clones or Croker? What a bunch of idiots, typically Irish, think we're the best in the world, find out we are so not and then take our ball home and cry.

The reality is they kicked about 45 "overs" or "points" over two game we kicked less than 20. In the 3rd quarter we had 6 frees in front of the posts and put over 2, shocking.

fbtn
28/10/2005, 12:08 PM
Some while tackles all the same mate. I agree that the commentary team were blabbing on but some of the tackles and 'hits' were extremely dangerous.

Soko
28/10/2005, 12:09 PM
The Aussies were pure filth today, you could see the inent and malice in that fcuker Johnsons eyes when he clotheslined some porr Irish lad. That could have broken his neck or jaw no bother, no need at all for the rubbish they brought today and it could be the death knell for the series.

I'd like to have 1 more crack off them though and give them a proper hiding.

Clifford
28/10/2005, 12:25 PM
Some while tackles all the same mate. I agree that the commentary team were blabbing on but some of the tackles and 'hits' were extremely dangerous.

I stated that above - "shocking hits", don't cod yerself that Canty and Kavanagh weren't trying the same, just couldn't get near em. Don't forget we threw the first punch in anger early on. The Aussies did none of the violence in the first game and won by more.

Still have you never seen that in GAA? I have, frequently at that. It's the rules that are wrong, a red is a red, should not be replaced with a sub. If they were down to 10 it would have been different, we might only have lost by 3/4.

Clifford
28/10/2005, 12:29 PM
The Aussies were pure filth today, you could see the inent and malice in that fcuker Johnsons eyes when he clotheslined some porr Irish lad. That could have broken his neck or jaw no bother, no need at all for the rubbish they brought today and it could be the death knell for the series.

I'd like to have 1 more crack off them though and give them a proper hiding.

No argument there, it was a disgusting tackle and got punished in so far as the rules allow. Saw the same thing in Croker this year in the Armagh v Tyrone game go unpunished. Shame.

finlma
28/10/2005, 12:43 PM
What a bunch of puss1es the Irish players were. When you start getting kicked around the park you have to hit back. When an Irish player hit the ground he got surrounded by Aussies and no Irishman jumped in as back up. No team spirit at all. The Aussies were filthy as hell but when they got away with it we should have fought fire with fire.

The commentators were as predictable as hell with their comments.

drummerboy
28/10/2005, 12:48 PM
So much for Ryan McMenamin of Tyrone being a hard man, he got sh**e of him and didn't seem to want to know. Irish manager brought over a small quick team, who were no match for the Aussies. Man against boys.

Dublin12
28/10/2005, 12:53 PM
Who Gooch? :D Ha ha, he came on for ten seconds, fell over and cried when a big bad aussie came near him and then fecked off.

LOL,yeah thats the one.The Aussies must've been laughing when they saw him on the pitch,seriously though,if the Irish selectors wanna take this serious they shouldn't pick stick insects like that or a buncha puffs, they should pick big solid blokes,afteral it's impossible to miss the goal,so having the gooch fella wasn't a plus at all.It should be called assaultball from now on,sorry I missed it now:rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 3:21 PM
It's pure unadulterated thuggery that was seen on the field today.
We should send out a club GAA side from Wicklow to play them next year :D

Countyman
28/10/2005, 3:23 PM
When the dirt is left out its an exciting game to watch.
However I would be lying if I said I dont enjoy the odd mild dust up but what Johnson and O'keefe did today for the aussies was going too far and has no place on the field.

The rules were not enforced and the aussies got away with a lot of bitch slapping and mauling. Was embarrased to see fellow irish men being slapped around like that without fighting back.

Fair play to the few that did. Anthony lynch, tom kelly, canty and lockhart spring to mind.

Aside from that we were hammered fairly convincingly.

Team selection was all wrong.

Get Brian Mullins in there for next year.

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 4:11 PM
Aside from that we were hammered fairly convincingly.

Team selection was all wrong.

Get Brian Mullins in there for next year.

Yes and Steve Collins and that All Black that nearly crippled Brian O'Driscoll on the coaching staff.

JoeSemi
28/10/2005, 9:09 PM
That wasn't sport today, just a relentless barrage of thuggery directed by the Aussies. Theres a code of conduct in AFL and GAA that doesn't involve pinning lads to the ground and giving him sly digs around the ceann. The series now only seems like a medium for this behaviour and has to revamped in some form or another. A neutral referee has to be introduced as favoritism was clearly shown on both sides.

Get them back to Dublin next year and unleash a crowd of hurlers on the pr!cks. After today I think Croker would sell out 3 times over to see that!

Risteard
28/10/2005, 9:57 PM
Fecking hell.
I used love international rules but just saw the highlights there and its ridiculous.
Had great potentiol but will never be realised with the eternal risk of the matches descending into something like that.
Wrap it up now i say.:o :o

geysir
29/10/2005, 12:41 AM
It's pure unadulterated thuggery that was seen on the field today.
We should send out a club GAA side from Wicklow to play them next year :DThat thought had entered my head during that spectacle, how about Baltinglass? The referee might be also be "persauded" to show some more respect for the rules by the sight of a car with a large boot parked outside the dressing room door.:)

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 10:15 AM
We could also invite Jonah Lomu to line out for us.... just to even things out a bit. :D

Dodge
29/10/2005, 11:58 AM
Got to laugh at the GAA fans who constantly ave a go at football being a game for pansie but when they come up against an aussie team who put it up to them they go off crying....

Maz
29/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Got to laugh at the GAA fans who constantly ave a go at football being a game for pansie but when they come up against an aussie team who put it up to them they go off crying....
Ah Dodge, there is putting it up to them and assaulting them. What went on yesterday was the latter

geysir
29/10/2005, 2:09 PM
I have to admit during that spectacle, that too many of GAA players, regardless of the size of the opponent, too easily ended up underneath on the ground being battered. That was no example to be setting the children of Ireland watching it.
I yearned for the days when Brian Mullins, Jack O Shea, Bomber Liston etc. held court, dispensed justice and left the pitch unbowed. The team yesterday were battered and bowed. That hurt.

Ringy
30/10/2005, 12:17 AM

Well to be fair could ya imagine the soccer crowd out there they would have been padded from head to toe.Gaa is a physical sport something modern day soccer lacks but that game crossed a line today.

Ringy
30/10/2005, 12:19 AM
Fecking hell.
I used love international rules but just saw the highlights there and its ridiculous.
Had great potentiol but will never be realised with the eternal risk of the matches descending into something like that.
Wrap it up now i say.:o :o

Have to agree the GAA has a duty to protect its players and they were not protected out there.