PDA

View Full Version : Will we have some US Cup type thing to go to next summer

Junior
20/10/2005, 1:36 PM
Anything so as I don't have to watch the thing here in Manchester...

If not where would you most like to watch the world cup apart from beoing there

Buenos Airies for me - football mad place I believe would be good to watch some of their matches out there!

Jon'o
20/10/2005, 1:42 PM

Buenos Airies for me - football mad place I believe would be good to watch some of their matches out there!

What about the unity cup again :eek: ;)

Stuttgart88
20/10/2005, 1:52 PM
Dublin, as follows:

IrishPRAHA was bemoaning the lack of B-internationals so, sad as it is, some end of season tournament may be beneficial. Not necesarily for the guys whose places are cast in stone but for those who are worth looking at or have something to prove: Steve Reid, Kavanagh, Stack / Murphy, Miller, Quinn, Kennedy, Stephen Kelly, Clive Clarke, Stephen Ireland, McGeady, Glenn Whelan etc.

My preference would be for a tournament in Lansdowne & maybe Turners Cross between 4 teams as follows, played over 6 or 7 days:

Ireland senior XI as above
Ireland developmental XI, maybe an eL selection or combination
Two teams going to Germany who want decent warm-ups

The new manager will spend time with the players and get to work with everyone he should be looking at. Ireland vs Ireland would be a bit like the old Probables vs Possibles trial matches they used to play in the run up to the 5 Nations Rugby.

Stuttgart88
20/10/2005, 1:56 PM
Or a tourney with Norn Iron, Wales & Scotland. It'd be pretty competitive.

colster
20/10/2005, 2:11 PM
Or a tourney with Norn Iron, Wales & Scotland. It'd be pretty competitive.

Pretty good idea that. It would get the crowds in and the games would be very competitive.

thejollyrodger
20/10/2005, 2:11 PM
whatever we do i hope they leave out Duff, Robbie, Dunne, Given, Finnan, and go for younger players and fringe players. We all know what duff can do and there is little point in giving the other suspects a run around.

Watching this world cup is going to be sickening.

sylvo
20/10/2005, 2:16 PM

Went to South America when euro 2000 was on, watched a lot of the games over there, was a great trip.

Junior
20/10/2005, 3:28 PM
Went to South America when euro 2000 was on, watched a lot of the games over there, was a great trip. Yeah But can you imagine it when Argentina and Brazil plus the other S Americans are playing also........kwality!!

elroy
20/10/2005, 3:43 PM
Watched Euro 2004 in the states, was ****e and they tried to charge 20 dollars to watch a match.
Prob wouldve being brillant there if we qualified.
The WC is gonna be tough particularly because we should be there and we'll miss out on the hype and hysteria that grips the nation when we're in it.

I honestly believe qualification for these tournaments is essential every few years in order to get the kids wanting to play football more than any sport. As Ireland arent in the WC, the GAA will prob get more coverage next summer and thats not good for the development of our game.

Metrostars
20/10/2005, 6:32 PM
There wont be no US Cup next Summer because the US will be....in Germany. Plus that competition has fallen by the wayside in the last few years.

Zidane
20/10/2005, 9:10 PM
While we are talking about B teams, I think we should have a look at Rory Delap. Under Kerr he never really got a look in, it may have been kerr or it may have been Delap. He is not getting a regular game at Southampton, but things might change for him.

Another player is Mick Doyle at Coventry. He had some good write ups last season, I know he is getting his game but I dont know how good he is this season.

Marked Man
20/10/2005, 10:48 PM
Watched Euro 2004 in the states, was ****e and they tried to charge 20 dollars to watch a match.
Prob wouldve being brillant there if we qualified.
The WC is gonna be tough particularly because we should be there and we'll miss out on the hype and hysteria that grips the nation when we're in it.

The "they" in question are Irish, not American: Setanta. And they don't just try to charge $20 in, they do it. For all Irish internationals, world/euro cup, GAA...you name it.

They ride more Paddies than Aer Lingus.

ps bohs
21/10/2005, 12:20 AM
we have a friendly against holland pre world cup

Metrostars
21/10/2005, 2:58 AM
The "they" in question are Irish, not American: Setanta. And they don't just try to charge $20 in, they do it. For all Irish internationals, world/euro cup, GAA...you name it.

They ride more Paddies than Aer Lingus.

Setanta are a rip off over here but what are you gonna do?

As for the Euros, I watched them on my TV at home, with the PPV package on Directv. Cost $100 or so if I remember correctly. Can't go wrong with Directv, costs a few dollars but I've got 3 footie channels.