PDA

View Full Version : My new manager would be

Dublincelt67
20/10/2005, 12:39 PM
Hi lads, I am new on here. I cant understand why we would even consider anybody who has not been a success as a manager in the past (Brady, Aldridge,
Bryan Robson etc.) I believe we need a successful manager that would preferably have experience of International football. Step forward Bruno Metsu, Does anyone remember him? He got Senegal to the Quarter Final of WC2002. He is the sort of coach we should be aiming to attract.

Stuttgart88
20/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Nah, poncy hair and looks like a pimp from Miami Vice :)

Isn't he managing S. Korea?

He's a bit of a rent-an-international-manager option isn't he? Not unlike Troussier. I think the players would struggle to connect with that type of manager.

gustavo
20/10/2005, 1:02 PM
i suppose the other way of looking at it is that getting in a manager with no experience whatsoever seems to be en vogue these days for international teams ie rijkaard when he was with holland ,van basten , voller and klinsmann. all these as far as i am aware had no experience prior to taking up their posts and none of them did or are doing too badly.

silentbob
20/10/2005, 1:07 PM
i suppose the other way of looking at it is that getting in a manager with no experience whatsoever seems to be en vogue these days for international teams ie rijkaard when he was with holland ,van basten , voller and klinsmann. all these as far as i am aware had no experience prior to taking up their posts and none of them did or are doing too badly.

Step forward Steve Staunton

Dublincelt67
20/10/2005, 1:24 PM
Point taken about Managers with no experience managing international teams being "en Vogue". But the fact is that Rikaard and Van Basten had access to a much stronger squad than we do. Metsu was just a name I highlighted as somebody who had experience of managing a team to a WC Quarter Final with fairly limited recources. We could and probably will do worse. I suppose a more realistic option would be Martin O'Neill for me, but I would be suprised if he took the job if offered. By the way, Dick Advocaat is the manager of South Korea. I believe Metsu is managing some club team in the far east, Al Ahly.

Schumi
20/10/2005, 2:05 PM
rijkaard when he was with holland ,van basten , voller and klinsmann. all these as far as i am aware had no experience prior to taking up their posts and none of them did or are doing too badly.
Klinsmann's not too popular in Germany at the moment.

thejollyrodger
20/10/2005, 2:54 PM
I would take Martin o Neill or Alex i lost my marbles Fergason

gustavo
20/10/2005, 3:06 PM
Van Basten seems to be doing a very good job though.

colster
20/10/2005, 3:30 PM
What about Peter Taylor? Has done well at both England U-21 and Hull.

gustavo
20/10/2005, 6:47 PM
I know i might get slaughtered for this but Peter Taylor is actually a decent suggestion

thejollyrodger
20/10/2005, 6:57 PM
I would take Martin o Neill or Alex i lost my marbles Fergason

nah, i changed my mind... i dont want fergie near the irish set up... he's lost the plot

Mayo Red
20/10/2005, 7:06 PM
Like a lot of people Martin O'Neill would be my first choice, but Sam Allerdyce would make a decent International manager aswell, he has a good knowledge of managing at various club levels (including Limerick) and has good man management and motivational skills!

eirebhoy
20/10/2005, 7:09 PM
nah, i changed my mind...
That's a suprise...:eek: Took you 4 hours. Getting longer each time.

paul_oshea
20/10/2005, 8:11 PM
That's a suprise... Took you 4 hours. Getting longer each time.

lads stop the bickering.

thejollyrodger
20/10/2005, 8:36 PM
take a hike eirebhoy. im entitled to change my mind. I perfer MoN in the Irish job because of his ability to work with limited amounts of money and get results. I dont give a rats if he calls himself a manager instead of a coach.

geysir
20/10/2005, 9:41 PM
take a hike eirebhoy. im entitled to change my mind. I perfer MoN in the Irish job because of his ability to work with limited amounts of money and get results. I dont give a rats if he calls himself a manager instead of a coach.
You are intitled to change your opinion but I am curious, what happened in those few hours for you to realize that Alex F. has lost the plot?