PDA

View Full Version : Odds on Troussier slashed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

joeSoap
19/10/2005, 1:25 PM
Unfortunately, Troussier who was 40/1 last week, is now only 20/1 with Powers, and only 14/1 with Betfair....this is potentially terrible.:eek:

Current Odds (http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=115&id=3266)

joeSoap
19/10/2005, 1:29 PM
Threw €25 on George Graham @ 40/1. He has a good record, can't accept transfer bungs in this position and is available without any compo payment to any other club or association.;)

eirebhoy
19/10/2005, 1:38 PM
I wouldn't mind Troussier tbh. I'm suprised the odds are still fairly high. He's the only person to come out and say he's interested and Delaney likes him.

kingp35
19/10/2005, 2:01 PM
Yeah Troussier was in the running the last time before Kerr took over and I would have been happy for him to get the job the last time so I would be equally happy if he got it this time. He has international experience and is a tactically astute manager. It is slightly strange that his odds are so long.

thejollyrodger
19/10/2005, 2:18 PM
i think the bookies will be shortening the odds on everyone to cover themselves

pete
19/10/2005, 2:28 PM
What has Troussier ever done. Last I heard he nearly relegated Marseille & was sacked. Every unemployed manager in the north hemisphere will be linked with the job now. Great opportunity fior newpapers to fill papers full of idiotic speculation.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2005, 2:30 PM
I don't think Troussier would be so bad either. Japan played excellent football under him. I'd prefer him by a mile over Dalglish, Robson, Bruce etc.

concanta
19/10/2005, 2:30 PM
I hope the FAI have been making contact already and got feedback from the proper candidates....in my opinion only o'neill, fergie, keane and aldrisge shoudl be entertained ....fook the rest right off

eirebhoy
19/10/2005, 2:34 PM
What has Troussier ever done. Last I heard he nearly relegated Marseille & was sacked. Every unemployed manager in the north hemisphere will be linked with the job now. Great opportunity fior newpapers to fill papers full of idiotic speculation.
Nah, Marseille have high standards. He took over them at the end of 2004 and finished 5th, 2 goals behind Rennes. From BBC:

Troussier factfile
1998: He leads Nigeria to their second World Cup but is sacked after the qualifying series
1998: Leads South Africa to World Cup in France
2001: Japan - Confederations Cup runners-up to Brazil
2002: World Cup co-hosts Japan knocked out by Turkey in last 16
Dec 2002: Approached for Republic of Ireland job
Recently turned down the Nigeria job for a 2nd time.

as_i_say
19/10/2005, 3:12 PM
what about ranieri? could get the duffer to play like he used to

eirebhoy
19/10/2005, 3:17 PM
what about ranieri? could get the duffer to play like he used to
He might also stick him on the bench for every 2nd game. :)

Stuttgart88
19/10/2005, 3:19 PM
I heard Ranieri may be taking over at Parma soon.

gufct
19/10/2005, 3:44 PM
The next manager will not be selected by the FAI he will be selected by Johnny D. like Kerr was shafted by him and the Irish Mrdia who have reached a lower point than even the English press pack.How can one man get away with what this man has done and not one journo or paper has the balls to stand up to him.

Merrion Square might as well move to waterford as he is calling all the shots now and is far more dangerous and vindictive than any previous CEO.

pete
19/10/2005, 3:48 PM
Delaney has all the power now (plenty hiuding the long grass to get him later though) & the public or government doesn't have much time for another FAI dispute so Delaney is here for a while now.

Surely Don Givens should also be cast aside with this get FAI clearout? Sad his odds are so short...

onenilgameover
19/10/2005, 5:35 PM
Delaney has all the power now (plenty hiuding the long grass to get him later though) & the public or government doesn't have much time for another FAI dispute so Delaney is here for a while now.

Surely Don Givens should also be cast aside with this get FAI clearout? Sad his odds are so short...

very true....however I think delaney comes out well in all this..he never wanted kerr and with kerr's results he seems vindicated by that...however if he starts acting the bol!ox..the long knives will come out of the long grass!

Cowboy
19/10/2005, 6:17 PM
however if he starts acting the bol!ox..the long knives will come out of the long grass!

Hope his credit cards are in order:)

blutil
19/10/2005, 10:39 PM
giles and dunphy said tonight they want gus hiddink ??

TheBoss
19/10/2005, 10:45 PM
giles and dunphy said tonight they want gus hiddink ??

Three Jobs, would be difficlut for him at the moment :D

Anyway the best manager for me, would be Bryan Robson, he has proved it at Boro' and at West Brom has a done a job nobody thought he could of. I would take him like a shot right now.

I heard that the FAI said that they could wait till August to appoint a manager, why, the manager needs to know about the teams for the draw in Jan, so he can start his job finding out about them. I hope they do get the man in by December at least for that reason.

Stuttgart88
20/10/2005, 7:17 AM
Anyway the best manager for me, would be Bryan Robson, he has proved it at Boro' and at West Brom has a done a job nobody thought he could of. I would take him like a shot right now.

Proven? Serial relegation manager. Only missed relegation again by total fluke last year. Had to get his mate Venables to help him at 'boro they were sinking so fast. Not for me.

Hiddink is the outstanding candidate in theory. Maybe if the Aussies lose to Uruguay again, but even still we'd only have a part-time manager as I can't see us being able to compete with PSV.

mchurl
20/10/2005, 8:23 AM
Hiddink is the outstanding candidate in theory. Maybe if the Aussies lose to Uruguay again, but even still we'd only have a part-time manager as I can't see us being able to compete with PSV.

Would like to see hiddink take the job but don't think he will. i think the only other two viable options would be o'neill as number one choice and troussier as a distant second

joeSoap
20/10/2005, 8:29 AM
Would like to see hiddink take the job but don't think he will. i think the only other two viable options would be o'neill as number one choice and troussier as a distant second
On the news this morning that O'Neill will be offered the job in the next two weeks, and Troussier is next in line.

tetsujin1979
20/10/2005, 9:06 AM
I can't see the FAI rushing to make an appointment that soon, more likely they'll speak to Martin O'Neill in the next 2 weeks to see if he's interested

NeilMcD
20/10/2005, 9:41 AM
Last night on off the ball a guy said Le Guen who used to manage Lyon.

In order of choice I would go for
O Neill
Hiddink
Le Guen
Ferguson/Keane
Troussier
Daglish/Aldridge

wws
20/10/2005, 10:01 AM
O Neill - give the man a beak for gods sake - he's not interested - breathtaking arrogance to think he'd forego his more pressing concerns to do the sh.tty ireland job

Hiddink - dunno if he'd be bothered - isnt he fixed up anyway? of the list here he'd be the only credible candidate in my view - hard to see someone of his quality goin to ireland

Le Guen - as far as i know this guy doesnt even speak english
is that what we're reduced to now??????

Ferguson/Keane - neither would be temted - keane especially is not liked by the mccarthy era players

Troussier - still unemployed eh!?!?! lol joker

Daglish/Aldridge - if we got rid of Kerr and installed these two delaney should walk

Tired&Emotional
20/10/2005, 10:39 AM
O Neill - give the man a beak for gods sake - he's not interested - breathtaking arrogance to think he'd forego his more pressing concerns to do the sh.tty ireland job

Hiddink - dunno if he'd be bothered - isnt he fixed up anyway? of the list here he'd be the only credible candidate in my view - hard to see someone of his quality goin to ireland

Ferguson/Keane - neither would be temted - keane especially is not liked by the mccarthy era players

Daglish/Aldridge - if we got rid of Kerr and installed these two delaney should walk

Any suggestions then?

NeilMcD
20/10/2005, 10:51 AM

Your post is not consistant in that you accuse us of arrogance wanting O Neilll and of hitting a low if we are getting Daglish and Alrdridge. W should be aiming high it is only the cost of a phone call to ring O Neill and his agent and ask him is he interested. If he says no, well then fair enough but at least one tries. Its like asking a girl out you should always aim, high, if you are forced to end up with a minger so be it but at leat try and get a cracker in the first place. Also Yet you dont offer one name that could do it its very easy to knock people but you should try to be a bit more contructive. I have a funny feeling that Le Guen can speak English.

NeilMcD
20/10/2005, 10:57 AM

Another thing I just spotted

You dismiss Troussier as he is unemployed

and you rule out Hiddink as he has a job.

So we are looking for that elusive manager who is is neither in or out of work. If Delaney can get a manager who fulfills this criteria the guy is a genius.

paul_oshea
20/10/2005, 11:00 AM
he is only stirring neil, he said in a few posts earlier in another thread he is not going wo support ireland or words to that effect so he doesnt care.

Stuttgart88
20/10/2005, 11:03 AM
Its like asking a girl out you should always aim, high, if you are forced to end up with a minger so be it but at leat try and get a cracker in the first place.
Classic :)

Jerry The Saint
20/10/2005, 11:12 AM
Its like asking a girl out you should always aim, high, if you are forced to end up with a minger so be it but at leat try and get a cracker in the first place.

Yeah, but in this case it's like getting a divorce from Miss Ireland on the off-chance that Jessica Alba might go out with you. And then at the end of it you end up with Mary Harney! :eek:

wws
20/10/2005, 11:12 AM
"Your post is not consistant in that you accuse us of arrogance wanting O Neilll and of hitting a low if we are getting Daglish and Alrdridge"

arrogance in thinking the Ireland job is of more interest than O'Neills personal and family concerns. Its bad form in my view and unrelated to my opinion on Dalglish/Aldridge managing ireland. No inconsistency whatsoever.

Taking Dalglish/ Aldridge (as they are completely seperate to the point re O neill)

Dalglish - Great player but publicly let pressure crack him up in management at one stage - has he a questionable at best record in this regard? Yes. Hardly ideal.

Aldridge - nostalgia maybe prompts any support for this candidate. Definitely Kerr would offer more and still does than Aldo.

"I have a funny feeling that Le Guen can speak English."

as far as I know I think he speaks french only - read it in an article about him being touted for the Man United job. Open to correction on it.

I'd like Hiddink but it would require revolutionary thinking (for the fai) and a massive pay packet to bring him in.

Other than that Brian Kerr is the best out there

Tired&Emotional
20/10/2005, 11:17 AM
I seem to remember Brian Kerr didn't have his contract renewed, so that kinda rules him out i'd say.....maybe I'm wrong??!!

Hiddink would be a good appointment but unlikely, as you say...

wws
20/10/2005, 11:19 AM
I seem to remember Brian Kerr didn't have his contract renewed, so that kinda rules him out i'd say.....maybe I'm wrong??!!

which is precisely wots wrong with the current situation, that and we dont have one decent outfield player

blutil
20/10/2005, 11:29 AM
S Kenny (Derry City Manager) 80 - 1 :eek:

deadman
20/10/2005, 11:31 AM
.... and we dont have one decent outfield player

oh, that minor matter ... shouldn't stop Guss or one of the lads steering us to world/euro cup glory

Jerry The Saint
20/10/2005, 11:31 AM
Hiddink would be a good appointment but unlikely, as you say...

Hiddink has TWO jobs at the moment, best we could hope for is Australia fail to qualify for the World Cup and he takes the job part-time. I see that he's not even on the PaddyPower list which means they think he's about as likely as Pat Dolan to be the next Ireland manager.

Eamo was so excited last night with Gilesy's suggestion of Hiddink - "We should pay him 1.5, no TWO MILLLLLLION DOLLARS!" - as if he'd unearthed some gem. Consecutive World-Cup semi-finals with Holland and S. Korea, semi-final of the Champions League a few months ago - he's clearly one of the best managers in the world right now. Dunphy might as well have said we should get Mourinho and pay him 5 million "dollars" per year.:rolleyes:

gustavo
20/10/2005, 11:36 AM
them two clowns havent a clue all they know about is english football , at least giles doesnt pretend otherwise but dunphy sees himself as some sort of footballing connesseur (sp)

wws
20/10/2005, 11:40 AM
Hiddink has TWO jobs at the moment, best we could hope for is Australia fail to qualify for the World Cup and he takes the job part-time. I see that he's not even on the PaddyPower list which means they think he's about as likely as Pat Dolan to be the next Ireland manager.

Eamo was so excited last night with Gilesy's suggestion of Hiddink - "We should pay him 1.5, no TWO MILLLLLLION DOLLARS!" - as if he'd unearthed some gem. Consecutive World-Cup semi-finals with Holland and S. Korea, semi-final of the Champions League a few months ago - he's clearly one of the best managers in the world right now. Dunphy might as well have said we should get Mourinho and pay him 5 million "dollars" per year.:rolleyes:

Dunphy thinks dollars sounds better.....
Gilesys not sure of the exchange rate

sounds like Dr Evil

so Mr Murinho, we will pay you ONE MILLLLLION DOLLARS....

colster
20/10/2005, 11:46 AM
........ and we dont have one decent outfield player

What about Duff, Finnan, Dunne, Keane, to name but a few? Are they not decent outfield players?

wws
20/10/2005, 11:49 AM
What about Duff, Finnan, Dunne, Keane, to name but a few? Are they not decent outfield players?

oh god.....leaving aside figure of speech exaggeration Duff hasnt strung two good games back to back for ireland - and doesnt play to his chelsea level for us

Finnan - unsure bout him (mainly cos i dnt see much of him playing) - why wasnt he playing last nite?

Keane? Roy is gone
Robbie - arrrrgh i hate that waster

dunnes ok

NeilMcD
20/10/2005, 11:51 AM
How is it bad form to inquire if O neill is interested. If he says no well then fair enough but I dont think O Neill would be annoyed if the FAI keeping it quiet and that seems to be one thing that Delaney is insisting on that the whole process is not done in the glare of the media. If O Neill say no, well fine you move on to the next one.

WWS you still have not offered up someone who should get the job. I was a supporter of Brian Kerr until results dictated that he had to go. I think if somebody is judged on the back of their results they cannot complain and in all honesty that is what has happend to him. It is now the FAI's job to get the best man for the job. They should draw up a shortlist of maybe 5 and headhunt number 1 and then 2 and then 3 until they get their man. If you look at mine, Daglish and Aldridge and a good bit down the list.

Hiddink will be available if Australia fail to qualify for the World Cup as I think that he is going to leave PSV at the end of the season. I could handly him part time until May and then full time after that. We have got to be aiming for the best.

joeSoap
20/10/2005, 11:53 AM
Didn't Roddy say he'd manage Ireland some day.....:)

NeilMcD
20/10/2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah, but in this case it's like getting a divorce from Miss Ireland on the off-chance that Jessica Alba might go out with you. And then at the end of it you end up with Mary Harney! :eek:

I am not sure if Kerr is Miss Ireland he would be more likely someone like a montessori Teacher I got off with. Good with working with kids but no up to the job of a more experince lecturer that is needed here.

wws
20/10/2005, 12:01 PM
How is it bad form to inquire if O neill is interested. If he says no well then fair enough but I dont think O Neill would be annoyed if the FAI keeping it quiet and that seems to be one thing that Delaney is insisting on that the whole process is not done in the glare of the media. If O Neill say no, well fine you move on to the next one.

WWS you still have not offered up someone who should get the job. I was a supporter of Brian Kerr until results dictated that he had to go. I think if somebody is judged on the back of their results they cannot complain and in all honesty that is what has happend to him. It is now the FAI's job to get the best man for the job. They should draw up a shortlist of maybe 5 and headhunt number 1 and then 2 and then 3 until they get their man. If you look at mine, Daglish and Aldridge and a good bit down the list.

Hiddink will be available if Australia fail to qualify for the World Cup as I think that he is going to leave PSV at the end of the season. I could handly him part time until May and then full time after that. We have got to be aiming for the best.

my posts above offer up hiddink and kerr if you read them
kerr lost one game in the campaign - if you think ireland have progressed to that level that we can jettison our only decent coach- than we agree to differ

colster
20/10/2005, 12:03 PM
oh god.....leaving aside figure of speech exaggeration Duff hasnt strung two good games back to back for ireland - and doesnt play to his chelsea level for us

Finnan - unsure bout him (mainly cos i dnt see much of him playing) - why wasnt he playing last nite?

Keane? Roy is gone
Robbie - arrrrgh i hate that waster

dunnes ok

Firstly Duff, although, he hasn't played that well in the last few Irish games, he has been consistently good for Ireland.

Finnan was a regular last season in a Champions League winning side.

Dunne has improved and is a very good center half now.

Keane is our top scorer. On his day he's excellent.

Ask your self this. Would those 4 players get into the Swiss or Israeli sides that finished above us in qualifying. IMO at least 3 would walk into their teams.

pete
20/10/2005, 12:16 PM
Its only when Kerr is gone & you go through the list of candidates that are available & who would actually take the job that you realise Kerr not so bad at all.

Brian Kerr + Chris Hughton was best qualified manager & assistant partnership we have had. McCarthy & Charlton had very poorly qualified assistants & coaches.

Karlos
20/10/2005, 12:22 PM
Brian Kerr + Chris Hughton was best qualified manager & assistant partnership we have had. McCarthy & Charlton had very poorly qualified assistants & coaches.

In fairness to Ian Evans he is anything but 'poorly' qualified for the position he held. Unknown, low profile and undistinguished playing career - yes but poorly qualified for the job he held, no certianly not.

Karlos
20/10/2005, 12:24 PM
My suggestion for the position would be Arsenal's coach and former N.I. International Pat Rice - proven coaching record and ability to handle international players. Just a suggestion mind you. :)

Reality Bites
20/10/2005, 12:26 PM
Big Ron Atkinson, at least he'd bring the Fun Factor Back!

Noelys Guitar
20/10/2005, 2:11 PM
If Kerr is such a great coach why hasn't he been appointed at ANY team in europe?