PDA

View Full Version : Kerr Gone

Pages : [1] 2 3

eirebhoy
18/10/2005, 5:41 PM
The Hub - 7.00 - Setanta.

Setanta Sports, Ireland’s sports television channel, will cover the story of the fate of Republic of Ireland manager, Brian Kerr as it unfolds tonight.

The programme will go on air immediately as the news unfolds and will go live to any announcement that is made.

Daire O’Brien will present a special edition of The Setanta Sports Hub live, which will include live reports from reporter Connor Morris at the FAI meeting at the Great Southern Hotel, Dublin.

Contributors include Bernard O’Byrne, former CEO of the FAI and Sunday World journalist Roy Curtis.

The Setanta Sports Hub, Setanta Sports, 7p.m. and 10.30pm (live coverage earlier as news unfolds)

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=15534&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

thejollyrodger
18/10/2005, 5:45 PM
Is He Gone Yet ??? Bye Bye Kerr !!!!!!

silentbob
18/10/2005, 7:54 PM
This just in on soccercentral.ie, looks like its over for him

"The FAI Board of Directors have it is understood decided not to renew the contract of manager Brian Kerr following the Republic of Ireland's failure to qualify for the World Cuo finals in Germany after a meeting in Dublin, Tuesday evening."

More to follow

Fergie's Son
18/10/2005, 8:12 PM
Well then, let's see what's in store for us.

ccfcgirl
18/10/2005, 8:13 PM
I thought he was treated harshly in the end ,but this was to be expected .

Noelys Guitar
18/10/2005, 8:15 PM
Good!

pineapple stu
18/10/2005, 8:17 PM
Hardly a surprise. I think it's the right decision, although it would appear the FAI are doing it for all the wrong reasons (primarily the insistance on having a manager based in England who'd keep his nose out of the FAI's business).

Still, thanks for the memories. Paris...the friendlies...emmm...

silentbob
18/10/2005, 8:17 PM
To be expected alright, will be interesting to see how the FAI go about finding his replacement. Will they invite people to apply for the job and see who throws their hat into the ring or will they go searching for somebody? Will also be interesting to see where Kerr will go from here.

eirebhoy
18/10/2005, 8:19 PM
On Setanta atm. They better have someone lined up.

highlight100
18/10/2005, 8:30 PM
rte news reported earlier phillip troussier (rember him the guy with the mad hair who managed japan and quatar to name a few) has thrown his hat in the ring. sorry to see brian go,wishing him all the best for the future.

Jon'o
18/10/2005, 8:33 PM
Good!

yeah great! managerless, spot on :rolleyes:

TonyD
18/10/2005, 8:36 PM
Disgusted with this, even though I was expecting it. I've never seen a campaign of such vitriol as has been conducted against Brian Kerr in the last couple of weeks(with a couple of honourable exceptions) OK, things have gone wrong recently but his record has not been that bad. Two competitive defeats. You can bet one thing, whoever comes in will not have a fraction of Kerrs feeling for, or knowledge of, the game in this country. Just had to listen to Dunphy being all smug about it on Setanta, (this remember is the guy who said after Kerrs first game that he was the first real coach we'd had in 20 years) Well, they can all go and fook off. John Delaney, Dunphy, Paul Hyland, Cathal Dervan and the rest of them. Fook them all. Fook the FAI, and the national team as well. I couldn't give a toss who they appoint now, and I couldn't give a toss if they ever win another game. I'm sticking to my Club from now on.

deecay
18/10/2005, 8:38 PM
fcuk the fai
kerr should have stayed
a good decent man who loved the football.
not the money
John delaney and co should be ashamed

Superhoops
18/10/2005, 8:39 PM
On Setanta atm. They better have someone lined up.
No, in true FAI fashion, a Board sub-Committee has been charged with making recommendations to the full Board in respect of a new manager for the international team.

Condex
18/10/2005, 8:46 PM
fcuk the fai
kerr should have stayed
a good decent man who loved the football.
not the money
John delaney and co should be ashamed

Nice man but should he hell of stayed, should have resigned
and left with dignity, it's time to give someone else a go.

Otherwise there'll be no one at the friendlies leading up to the
Euro 2008 qualifiers...

Colie
18/10/2005, 8:48 PM
Lawro & Toshac don't seem to think it's the right descision. Nice to see Kerr down at Belfield last night. I'd say he'll be seeing a lot more eL grounds in the near future.

eirebhoy
18/10/2005, 8:54 PM
Soccercentral:

The Board of the FAI met today and considered the implications of non-qualification of the international team for the World Cup in 2006. The Board also assessed the prospects of achieving success in future European Championship and World Cup campaigns in the context of the development of the game in Ireland.

Following its meeting, the Board announced that the FAI is to recruit a new international manager to succeed Brian Kerr whose contract expired at the end of the World Cup 2006 campaign.

The Board thanked Brian Kerr and his technical staff for their commitment and energy demonstrated during almost three years in charge. “The Board fully recognises the dedication and passion applied by Brian and his support team in their quest to gain qualification for the major Championships”, Delaney said.

“The Board also acknowledged both Brian and Chris Hughton’s contributions to the game in their previous roles – Brian through his involvement in the development of the game across the underage and Technical areas and Chris as a distinguished player for many years”, he added.

Commenting on the decision, FAI Chief Executive Officer John Delaney said the Board’s view was that the decline in FIFA world rankings, UEFA standings and non qualification for the World Cup 2006 were key issues for the Association. He said “the downward trend in our rankings and seedings has been very disappointing and will make qualification for future tournaments considerably more difficult and that has knock-on consequences for the development of the game”.

Delaney said that everyone involved in football is disappointed that Ireland failed to qualify for the World Cup and reap the benefits of our involvement in terms of interest in the game and increased participation across the country. As an organisation, we have invested heavily over the past year to progress the game at all levels to bring more and more people into the game. We now have more people taking part in football than any other team sport but to further develop the game, success on the international scene is an important catalyst.

Looking to the future, Delaney said “our Under 17 team recently qualified for the Elite Phase of the UEFA Championships, our Under 19 side are now also qualified after tonight’s game in Cork while the long term Emerging Talent Programme for young players is set to pilot in the coming months”.

A Board sub-Committee has been charged with making recommendations to the full Board in respect of a new manager for the international team.

AidoM
18/10/2005, 8:55 PM
I thought he was treated harshly in the end ,but this was to be expected .

Well said. From the bit of the press conference on Sky News Delaney said that he had not spoken to Kerr since the match. In true FAI fashion he probably hadn't got the :ball: s to ring him and tell him of the decision:( .

But what's new:rolleyes:

ccfcgirl
18/10/2005, 9:02 PM
Well said. From the bit of the press conference on Sky News Delaney said that he had not spoken to Kerr since the match. In true FAI fashion he probably hadn't got the :ball: s to ring him and tell him of the decision:( .

But what's new:rolleyes:Id say his a broken hearted man now :(

junkie
18/10/2005, 9:07 PM
Thankfully for once the FAI have used common sense in not offering Brian Kerr a new contract.

Yes Kerr is a nice guy, yes he was committed but he was clearly out his depth as manager and this is the right decision and Irish football will move forward.

silentbob
18/10/2005, 9:13 PM
Junkie, I think you need to change your signature!!!!

Dublin12
18/10/2005, 9:16 PM

He could be the new manager of Shels next season!

Jon'o
18/10/2005, 9:18 PM

how about

<insert name of replacement manager OUT NOW!!!>

just for when the kerr out crew get bored of the next manager and realise that prehaps its not all the managers fault but the players we have too and a FA that dont know their @ss holes from their ear holes

Conor H
18/10/2005, 9:19 PM
Well at this point the only way is forward

Yes Kerr is a nice guy, yes he was committed but he was clearly out his depth as manager and this is the right decision and Irish football will move forward.

djdaz
18/10/2005, 9:27 PM
ABSOLUTELY.
Getting rid of the manager makes the news and overshadows the MUCH bigger problems in Irish football.

how about

<insert name of replacement manager OUT NOW!!!>

just for when the kerr out crew get bored of the next manager and realise that prehaps its not all the managers fault but the players we have too and a FA that dont know their @ss holes from their ear holes

oconghc2
18/10/2005, 9:54 PM
hope we aint turning into one of them trigger happy countries when it comes to managers.

Feel sorry for Kerr - although that doesnt blind me to the fact that he didnt get it right on too many occasions! Not once during 2 years did he try something adventurous! (O shea in midfield! or on the team for that matter!!) For a manager whos career was built on youth - he didnt use it enough!!!

Best of Luck Brian - sound man - heart in right place. Hope to God he is given a position in FAI - overlooking the implementation of better youth structures at EL clubs etc. Now or never!

sligoman
18/10/2005, 10:05 PM
All I wanna know now is, what is kerr's tribe gonna call herself now?:confused: :D

Superhoops
18/10/2005, 10:14 PM
...Best of Luck Brian - sound man - heart in right place. Hope to God he is given a position in FAI - overlooking the implementation of better youth structures at EL clubs etc. Now or never!
There is no chance of him going back to FAI while Delaney is there. Would say he is likely to be recruited by the UEFA Technical Team.

Jerry The Saint
18/10/2005, 10:29 PM
Well at this point the only way is forward

Ha-ha! You reckon:confused: Northern Ireland qualified for two World Cup finals before we ever got into a major championships - look how far they fell!

I noticed an interesting comment from Oscar Wilde during his interview with Setanta tonight. He said there was no rush to appoint a new manager because we won't have another competitive game until next August - "We're not like a Premiership club, we don't have matches every week...".

Shows where his head is at - note he didn't say "We're not like a club team". There's nothing special about the English Premiership that associates them with weekly fixtures more than any other league :rolleyes:

He says he's going to "headhunt" an experienced, quality manager. Well good luck to him, he's obviously looking for Martin O'Neill - don't think he's got any chance unless the FAI come up with a massively increased financial package (considering that O'Neill would walk into any job in England bar two or three and is a popular media choice for Eriksson's replacement) which could easily be an unnecessary risk to the finances at a time when the stadium needs to be paid for. Beyond O'Neill, Delaney has his fixation with Old Trafford to take care of so who's left after Fergie and Keane turn it down?

- Kevin Moran
- Frank Stapleton
- Bryan Robson
- Steve Coppell
- Brian Kidd
- Ray Wilkins
- Bobby Charlton

and of course the people's favourite - Big Ron Atkinson! :D

gustavo
18/10/2005, 10:32 PM
ding dong the muppet is gone!

No i believe he is still the CEO

FarBeag
18/10/2005, 10:37 PM
I suppose he had to go but i do feel really really sorry for him. I hope his players take the same attitude as they played a big part.He is a good man and wears his heart on his sleeve.He made mistakes and admitted this but at least he had that insight unlike some managers i wouldn't like mention.He gained alot of experience over the last few years and imo i really think he has learned from these but all too late unfortunately.I hope the next manager cares as much as Brian but is not afraid to upset players and make the right decisions which Brian lacked.

FarBeag
18/10/2005, 10:40 PM
Kevin Moran
- Frank Stapleton
- Bryan Robson
- Steve Coppell
- Brian Kidd
- Ray Wilkins
- Bobby Charlton

How F*cking reassuring

Dodge
18/10/2005, 10:45 PM
Glad kerr's gone. It means I've even less interest in the Irish team anymore. As usual Jerry the Saint is spot on. It'll be someone he mentioned (or George Graham...)

Thomo
18/10/2005, 10:51 PM
thh future looks bleak my friends. in the time since kerr took over nothing hass changed, but at least there was a renewed sense of optimism wen he took over. but now, with a simiilar list of candidates as last time there is NO ONE on that list who fills me with optiimism. at all!!!!

Risteard
18/10/2005, 10:55 PM
I know it won't happen while his sackers are running the show but
Givens Out!!!
Kerr In!!!!!!!!!

Green Tribe
18/10/2005, 10:57 PM
I do feel for Brian, but he did not necessarily fill us with confidence in those qual. games.

As for my name well, we'll see..:o

Beavis
18/10/2005, 11:07 PM
Very dissapointed with the decision. Hope we continue to see Kerr around the pubs on away trips.

Superhoops
18/10/2005, 11:45 PM
No surprise that Noel O'Reilly is also going but hard to believe that Packie Bonner did not have his goalkeeping coaching contract renewed, although he does stay on as Technical Director.

The biggest surprise is the decision not to renew Chris Hughton's contract. Chris is one of the most highly qualified coaches in Europe and while the new man will want to bring in his own team, it is a mistake not to retain Chris, unless he indicated he did not want to stay if Brian Kerr was going.

dancinpants
19/10/2005, 3:39 AM
It just didn't work out. Had he turned things around, it couldn't have happened to a better man. But in the end he had to go - things just got stale. However there was no need for harsh treatment from the media. And in the bigger scheme of things the players have gotten off very fookin lightly indeed.

But I have to agree with Thomo, the future doesn't look too bright when we are hearing the same list of candidates that we heard a few years back.

The Irish, Scottish, English and Welsh national teams seem to be standing still, while teams from all over the world pass us by (I'm only concerned with that fact in relation to us - but the common factor is the premiership). The fcukwits in the FAI need to sit down and figure out why this is happening. And to state the obvious we need an overhaul in the FAI too!!!.

Who is the right man? I honestly don't know but I haven't heard anything that sounds good so far. BTW are people suggesting Curbishley and Allardyce purely because they were touted for the Engerland job when Sven was on tender hooks?

mypost
19/10/2005, 4:15 AM
Who is the right man? are people suggesting Curbishley and Allardyce purely because they were touted for the Engerland job when Sven was on tender hooks?

I suggested Allardyce as he has moulded a team of very ordinary players into a competitive side at club level. Plus, he began his managerial career in our league, so he may have some knowledge of the local game, and how we tick. With the good players that the side has, he would have a base to work from. If he can also get the best out of the likes of the Kilbane's, O' Shea's, and Morrison's and gel them all together, the national team would be competitive again soon. Him actually getting the job though, is a lot easier said than done.

dancinpants
19/10/2005, 4:59 AM
I suggested Allardyce as he has moulded a team of very ordinary players into a competitive side at club level.

Yeah but only very recently and with a fair few high profile signings.

Plus, he began his managerial career in our league, so he may have some knowledge of the local game, and how we tick..

I seriously doubt if big Sam could even tell you who is on top of the league right now in fairness (with out doin' the research). The LOI now is ALOT different to when he was here.

With the good players that the side has, he would have a base to work from. If he can also get the best out of the likes of the Kilbane's, O' Shea's, and Morrison's and gel them all together, the national team would be competitive again soon..

I dunno about this. His current Bolton side would probably beat what he would have at his disposal in the Ireland squad. You mention 3 players, Kilbane, O'Shea and Morrison - Kilbane is a VERY average player, he just gets by and no more. O'Shea, a man on the books with Man U, he should be doin' ALOT better than he is. To describe him at the moment? Fcukin' WOEFUL. Morrison? Ah Morrison - our old nugget. Morrison is crap - all heart, and he'll bust his balls in a match but he just isn't good enough.[/QUOTE]

Him actually getting the job though, is a lot easier said than done.

I hope he doesn't get it.

macdermesser
19/10/2005, 7:23 AM
rte news reported earlier phillip troussier (rember him the guy with the mad hair who managed japan and quatar to name a few) has thrown his hat in the ring. sorry to see brian go,wishing him all the best for the future.

Troussier .. ffs big surprise that ..ffs .. who else Schaeffer Dave bassett? Roy Hodgson? We're like some third world country who thinks if we get some English or European manager in, he'll work some voodoo on the team. Kerr should have been another campaign .. Mc Carthy did a lot wrong (Roy Keane as sweeper, Irwin has to prove himself to me) before things began to go right for him.

macdermesser
19/10/2005, 7:27 AM
I suggested Allardyce as he has moulded a team of very ordinary players into a competitive side at club level. Plus, he began his managerial career in our league, so he may have some knowledge of the local game, and how we tick. With the good players that the side has, he would have a base to work from. If he can also get the best out of the likes of the Kilbane's, O' Shea's, and Morrison's and gel them all together, the national team would be competitive again soon. Him actually getting the job though, is a lot easier said than done.

Its not fantasy football here .. Allardyce is not going to take the job, .. sure you know that already yourself.

Stuttgart88
19/10/2005, 7:44 AM
For a manager whos career was built on youth - he didnt use it enough!!!

Agreed.

But yet again Delaney / FAI get it wrong. The decision is right, but the justification is not.

Our drop in FIFA rankings should have nothing to do with the decision. If anything, our rankings during Kerr's reign were reasonably impressive. The key point is that too much attention was paid to these rankings at the expense of giving younger players & fresh ideas experience in friendlies.

I still think the best analysis of Kerr's reign came in the Tribune this weekend. "End of an era: McCarthy's Era".

All the same he worked very hard & has had his hard earned reputation badly damaged by a shabby media. It didn't work out but I hope the next manager has the same interest in our team's success & the same work ethic as Brian Kerr. I'm glad he's gone - there were no signs of any progess in his 3 years - and we can't risk another 3 years of the same. But, as always, you'd fear for the type of replacement they'll look for & how they'll make their decision.

razor
19/10/2005, 7:54 AM
I feel sorry for Brian, a good decent football man. Obviously not high profile enough to get the chances previous managers have got and that disappoints me. Yes he made mistakes but didn't every Irish manager ?
It was third time lucky for Mick, Brian deserved a shot.

Euro 1988 - Qualified - Jack
WC 1990 - Qualified - Jack
Euro 1992 - Did not Qualify - Jack
WC 1994 - Qualified - Jack
Euro 1996 - Did not Qualify - Jack
WC 1998 - Did not Qualify - Mick
Euro 2000 - Did not Qualify - Mick
WC 2002 - Qualified - Mick
Euro 2004 - Did not Qualify - Mick/Brian
WC 2006 - Did not Qualify - Brian

Dawn_Run
19/10/2005, 7:55 AM
Just heard Delaney on Morning Ireland with Des Cahill. Apparently they are going to 'head-'hunt' their canditate for new Ireland manager position instead of seeking applications. No $hit sherlock, no-one in their right mind would apply for this job.

Hate that Delaney muppet. Its time for Kerr to get vocal about the $hit he has had to put up with with the FAI.

Ash
19/10/2005, 7:55 AM
Mike Bassett - Ireland Manager
Im sure at one stage he had a dodgy haircut like JD :D

stickyjoe
19/10/2005, 7:56 AM
Kerr Had To Go. End of Story.

Woeful substitutes. Taking off our 2 strikers when we needed to beat Switzerland. Against Israel at home replacing keane with a midfielder

Woeful tactics. Away games.

Woeful use of friendlies. Afraid to lose them and afraid to try out kids and younger players.

Disgraceful use of Eircom League players. Giving Jason Byrne and Crowe about 90 seconds between them while giving Macken a proper game.

Cosmo
19/10/2005, 8:19 AM
Mike Bassett - Ireland Manager
Im sure at one stage he had a dodgy haircut like JD :D

Well it wouldnt surprise me - the Irish job isnt as attractive as it was a couple of years ago - I cant see many big names wanting it - reckon we'll be stuck like someone like laurie sanchez. No point in getting rid of Kerr is they dont get a better man for the job - lets hope they do

elroy
19/10/2005, 8:42 AM
The big difference between Mick and Brian is that Mick took over an ageing team, brought in new players and made the team his own. Yes it took the third time of asking to qualify but in each campaign he got to the playoffs (and shouldve automatically qualified in one).

Unfortunately under Brian, no one can deny we have gone backwards. Kerr took over a team after a good WC, in a group that we were FIRST seeds. As far as I'm aware the only players of note to make their debut under Kerr was Andy Reid and McGeady. Despite the bad start to the first campaign it was a very realistic target in both campaigns to top the group, we didnt even get to the playoffs. When he took over we were first seeds, now we are fourth.

I think Brian is a smashing person and I'm not sure what options are available but the right decision was made last night. When this all blows over, Kerr should be re instated as head of youth development.