PDA

View Full Version : Violence in other sports

BohDiddley
18/10/2005, 12:37 PM
I was watching the Leinster/Cardiff match the other day on telly (out of idle curiousity, you understand) and it set me thinking.
There I was having a relaxing late afternoon -- we'd won the night before: must put up that marathon 'How we beat Harps' tribute thread -- when suddenly I found myself witness to a brutal assault. One of the Welsh boys started doing a little (well, actually rather protracted) dance, studs an' all, all over one of our fellows who was writhing around on the ground. There followed inglorious scenes of thuggery, with fists and elbows flying. A couple of yellow cards ensued, along with a couple of theatrically stern talking-tos. I was minded to call the polis, but I reasoned that they were there at the RDS anyway.
A bit later, I saw a Cardiff player casually kick one of the opposition in the face, again making a good, solid connection with his studs to flatten his victim. Play went on and no one remarked on it, although I think there was a slo-mo replay so we could study this skilful savagery.
After that, it was back to brute force, although in this case it seemed to be in the opposite direction. In the middle of a heaving pile of 18-stoners in full combat, the camera managed to pick out one orc sitting on top of another, pummelling his face with repeated hay-makers.
I was reminded of that nonsense a while back about some bimbo from Malahide bringing his kid to an EL match, and being shocked at the language and general demeanour of the support, and running to the national press with news of this great scandal. And I couldn't help thinking that, if that is what you see on a regular Saturday afternoon in a minor rugger league, there has to be more where it came from. I'm sure GAA could make a healthy contribution here too ...
Just in case anyone from Malahide wants to know.

bigmac
18/10/2005, 12:53 PM
Gentleman's game, played by thugs.
Thug's game etc...

There's a difference between a violent game and a game where there is violence involving the crowd. GAA have the worst of both worlds, where spectators get involved in fights on the field. I've played both soccer and rugby, and the vast majority (not all) of fouls, stamping etc in rugby is what I term self-policing, i.e. if you lie on the wrong side in a ruck you're going to get studs in your back - that's the price you pay for trying to illegally steal the ball. There are occasional matches that boil over, apparently the one in the RDS was a bit on the wild side.
The reason people cite rugby as a good family game is that you can bring kids to a match without having to worry about them getting hurt, the only ones who get hurt are the players. The last time i saw someone throw something from the crowd at a rugby match, everyone around him pointed at him so the stewards could identify him and kick him out. Could you see that happening in any EL ground?

bigmac
18/10/2005, 1:58 PM
I WAS going to let this nonsense pass, but out of curiosity could you please give me a few examples where this happens/has happened lately ?? (apart from a well-documented hurling match down your neck of the woods a couple of months ago which was an isolated incident !!)

That was a quick bite, thought I'd have to let it dangle a bit longer ;)
Happened in a match in Dublin as well - wasn't there a court case about it?

fbtn
28/10/2005, 11:56 AM
International Rules - Australia V Ireland this morning.

Quality unabashed violence in the subtle guise of sport.