PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup semi-final weekend -- not that you'd know

harry crumb
17/10/2005, 3:54 PM
Is this the FAI's showpiece competition or not?

Looking at the website, they don't seem to bothered.

http://www.fai.ie/competition.asp?hlid=221727

ccfcgirl
17/10/2005, 3:58 PM
I live in Cork and there isnt much talk or advertisment down here ..........

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 4:00 PM

Drogheda is buzzing because we're going to reach our first cup final in 29 years :D

holidaysong
17/10/2005, 4:02 PM
Drogheda is buzzing because we're going to reach our first cup final in 29 years :D

Looking likely isn't it... :eek: :(

Roo69
17/10/2005, 4:03 PM

Keep on dreaming :cool: The Wanderers name is wrote all over the cup this season. Were really looking forward to european and setanta cup football next season :D

Bray is buzzing as well, everyone is talking bout it

harry crumb
17/10/2005, 4:05 PM
Well I'm really excited about it and am getting a day off work to go down to the Cross for it.

I'm talking from the FAI's point of view. They seem to have more interest in the new Ireland manager.

superfrank
17/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Roo's right, Bray is buzzing. I know a few lads that might have gone to one game in the last 2-3 years who'll be going.

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Looking likely isn't it... :eek: :(

Yeah, very likely - Bray are muck (sorry Roo!!)

Though I suppose you can always go back to reading about and talking about the good old days when when we're in tolka lifting our first proper trophy and looking forward to the good present and great future we have :)

holidaysong
17/10/2005, 4:09 PM

Though I suppose you can always go back to reading about and talking about the good old days when when we're in tolka lifting our first proper trophy and looking forward to the good present and great future we have :)

:p

The final is in Tolka :confused: When is it on?

Roo69
17/10/2005, 4:17 PM

All that money spent, full time squad, and still a team of also rans, that must suck :D But in fairness Drogs are not great shakes themselves, a very beatable team

Passive
17/10/2005, 4:20 PM
Perhaps a Cork fan may be able to clear-up something for me:

We're down to play you lot on Monday November 7th in Dalymount, but I just heard a rumour that, providing you don't draw your cup game this Friday, the game will be played next Tuesday (25th) instead. Has anyone heard anything about this? The game is listed for the 7th on both the Cork and Rovers fixture lists but apparently it might be rescheduled.

:confused:

Philo
17/10/2005, 4:21 PM
The final is definitely at Tolka on Sunday 4th December.

One note about the FAI not publicising what should be their blue ribband competition: In 2000 I sent an email to the FAI asking why they had not publicised the cup final and replay between ourselves and Shels. I also asked what was the thinking behind them charging £20 into the Jodi and £10 (I think) for terrace tickets as this decision made a 10,000 strong crowd look non-existent on TV with the majority of fans in the Shed and on the Connaught St side..

Their only response was to report me for abusing company email :(

Slash/ED
17/10/2005, 4:27 PM
Why not Lansdowne Road? Cork or Derry will bring a good support with them for an occasion like a final especially if it's on a weekend, both Drogheda and Bray are close enough to be expected to bring a good support too. Should be a bigger crowd than last years, so why not Lansdowne? Always felt it had a much better sense of occasion when in Lansdowne even if it's far from full.

Philo
17/10/2005, 4:31 PM
Why not Lansdowne Road? Cork or Derry will bring a good support with them for an occasion like a final especially if it's on a weekend, both Drogheda and Bray are close enough to be expected to bring a good support too. Should be a bigger crowd than last years, so why not Lansdowne? Always felt it had a much better sense of occasion when in Lansdowne even if it's far from full.

FAI said Lansdowne is not available that weekend... I presume the egg chasers are busy then?

I'd much rather see the cup final played at the larger venue with a massive publicity and a flat €5 entry fee.

superfrank
17/10/2005, 4:35 PM
I heard Landsdowne too.

dcfcsteve
17/10/2005, 4:53 PM
Lansdowne is busy - apparently tied-up in some way for the Autumn friendlies/tests.

I'd much rather the final was in Dalymount than Tolka. When we played the final in Tolka in 2002, we only got 4,500 tickets, and loads of Derry fans didn't get to go. Between ourselves and Rovers I'm sure we could have easily had 15,000+ at that game. Dalymount is bigger than Tolka, and it's a much more atmosphereic and historic venue for big games. The one downside is that if it rains there, most of the fans would be fecked.....

harry crumb
17/10/2005, 4:57 PM
Is the terrace at Dalymount allowed to be used these days?

I was at the Harps match on Friday and behind the other goal, is awful, ****e view.

Slash/ED
17/10/2005, 5:00 PM
Lansdowne is busy - apparently tied-up in some way for the Autumn friendlies/tests.

I'd much rather the final was in Dalymount than Tolka. When we played the final in Tolka in 2002, we only got 4,500 tickets, and loads of Derry fans didn't get to go. Between ourselves and Rovers I'm sure we could have easily had 15,000+ at that game. Dalymount is bigger than Tolka, and it's a much more atmosphereic and historic venue for big games. The one downside is that if it rains there, most of the fans would be fecked.....

Dalymount is smaller than Tolka and by a good few thousand.

pete
17/10/2005, 5:18 PM
Rugby Internationals (http://www.irishrugby.ie/fixturesresultslist.jsp?pagetype=f&tournament=6)

No rugby internationals scheduled for 4th december. Hardly be a concert that late in winter?

I think its a disgrace that not held in lansdowne as looks so much better on tv & encourages better football.

AIB League
Lansdowne v Cork Constitution
KO: 14:30
Venue:Lansdowne Road

That would hardly be on main pitch?

Philo
17/10/2005, 5:38 PM
Rugby Internationals (http://www.irishrugby.ie/fixturesresultslist.jsp?pagetype=f&tournament=6)

No rugby internationals scheduled for 4th december. Hardly be a concert that late in winter?

I think its a disgrace that not held in lansdowne as looks so much better on tv & encourages better football.

AIB League
Lansdowne v Cork Constitution
KO: 14:30
Venue:Lansdowne Road

That would hardly be on main pitch?

I was told personally by Pat Costello, PRO of the FAI that "Lansdowne Road is not available to the FAI on that date". God knows what's going on but it seems to be an IRFU decision rather than the FAI's.

derrymac
17/10/2005, 10:11 PM
Just had a look at the fai website and i can't believe it is so bad. The top story on the homepage is Northern Ireland's squad of players sent a 'get well' card to the Republic's Mark Keane after he sustained a broken leg in their match in the UEFA U19 qualifiers in Cork. No mention of the fai cup semi finals... thoguh apparently the draw for the semi finals is being made next wednesday. You really get the impression our league doesnt exist.

A face
17/10/2005, 11:40 PM
info@fai.ie

BrayZil
18/10/2005, 8:48 AM

Different story in Bray. There’s green and white flags hanging from all the shops in the town. The buzz in Bray is incredible! I'm very confident about beating Drogs on Sunday

Cosmo
18/10/2005, 8:49 AM
[QUOTE=Zayed9 I'm very confident about beating Drogs on Sunday[/QUOTE]

Now that is funny :D

BrayZil
18/10/2005, 8:51 AM
We'll see whos laughing after Sunday!! ;)

Roo69
18/10/2005, 8:54 AM

Bray is full of Band Wagon fans so if (fingers crossed) we get to the final, don't worry we'llbring them all with us :rolleyes: Remember Lansdowne in 1990 ? not far off 15/20,000 Bray "fans" turned up that day

Macy
18/10/2005, 9:40 AM
What about the RDS if Lansdowne is unavailable - haven't leinster put in temp seats down the open side?

NY Hoop
18/10/2005, 10:04 AM
info@fai.ie

Has anyone here ever got an answer from them?

IMO its a disgrace if it isnt on in Lansdowne. It's a day out for everybody and IF marketed properly there can be a good crowd. Players love it as they dont ever get the chance to play there. Agree with the Derry fan re 2002 at tolka. An absolute farcial place to have a Cup Final ffs.

Also why on earth is the final in december?:rolleyes: They had the proper date in the seasons gone by. The final should have been on the 29th of this month with the season starting in the first weekend of March so that the fixtures would be finished this weekend. It can be done, it's not brain surgery:mad:

RDS would'nt be a bad idea.......

KOH

holidaysong
18/10/2005, 10:10 AM
With the final in Tolka will tickets for neutral fans be scarce?

pete
18/10/2005, 10:35 AM
Final used be on October Bank Holiday weekend which eventhough not end of season was IMO a better option. December is strange time to have final especially when some of Tolka is uncovered from thr elements.

RDS would be interesting option if pitch was suitable. Good size too but then again Shels wouldn't get their subsidy.

The quest continues to find out what IRFU using Lansdowne for the on 4 December.

superfrank
18/10/2005, 10:52 AM
Different story in Bray. There’s green and white flags hanging from all the shops in the town. The buzz in Bray is incredible! I'm very confident about beating Drogs on Sunday
I only noticed that walking to school this morning. They're all over the town centre.