PDA

View Full Version : Mark O'Neill-Cummins' Eircom Lge Focus

sligoman
17/10/2005, 12:36 PM
Kerr most suitable

The result against Switzerland last Wednesday brought our interest in the World Cup campaign to an end and will bring about major changes in Irish football.

How any of this will affect the eircom League remains to be seen, but affect the League, it possibly will.

It appears that the tenure of Brian Kerr is all but over, despite losing just one game in the group and being without the services of his best players through injury.

Brian was the first Irish manager to come up through the League of Ireland/National League ranks since Eoin Hand in the 1980s.

He was the first manager since Eoin Hand to actually attend league games on a regular basis. However, if and when Brian goes, the names of some of the possible replacements worry me.

Can you imagine Bryan Robson, Bobby Robson, George Burley or John Aldridge heading to Dalymount or Turner's Cross on a Friday night to check out the latest talent? I can't.

Even Sam Allardyce would be a better choice. At least he's managed in our league.

If the merger of the league and FAI is to go ahead, surely the manager of our national team should have a decent knowledge of the highest level of domestic soccer?

At present, there is no one more suitable or qualified to take the job than the man who already has it. When both Eoin Hand and Jack Charlton got the gig, the names of managers from within the league were mentioned considerably in the media.

Jim McLoughlin is a good example. It shows how far we have fallen that the media and the bookies can't name even one eircom League manager that could take on the national side.

Maybe they're right. Though I would love to see the new man, or Brian if he's kept on, surround himself with a cross-section of assistants and coaches, appointed by the FAI.

At least one, if not two, should be from the eircom League.

Stephen Kenny and Pat Fenlon would be my choices.

They should be visibly part of the set up with a defined role. Steve McClaren does a similar job for England.

I was intrigued by a caller to a radio show on Wednesday night, who suggested that the overpaid Premiership players should be dumped and the 'amateurs from the League of Ireland' given a chance.

I don't know many 'amateur League of Ireland' players who could do a job for Ireland but I can think of several full timers in the eircom League who deserve a shot at the top level.

Liam Kearney, John O'Flynn, George O'Callaghan, Wesley Hoolahan and Owen Heary to name but five. But then again Brian Kerr never picked any of them, and must have had reason for that.

He only picked former Cork City striker Kevin Doyle after he moved to England. It appears that the highest level of international recognition eircom League players can reach at present is the Under-21 side.

Kearney, Doyle, Hoolahan, Kevin Derry, Stephen Paisley, Darren Quigley, Stephen Ward and Gary Dicker are just some of those who have made Don Givens' squads recently.

The U-21 side serves many purposes, one of which is to develop and provide players for the senior squad. Of those mentioned above, the only one who progressed was Doyle when he moved to Reading.

The others, despite their Champions League and UEFA Cup exploits of the last two summers, were ignored by Brian Kerr in favour of various average players from English sides.

Brian Kerr may not be perfect but he's the best we have and deserves a new contract. If he gets it, he might look closer to home for some of his personnel. He's good at that.

Risteard
17/10/2005, 12:41 PM
Who is Mark O'Neill Cummins?

Krstic
17/10/2005, 1:02 PM
Donno who he is but he's better stop touting our manager for other jobs the bastrad!!!

kingp35
17/10/2005, 2:30 PM
He does regular write ups on the Eircom league for the RTE teletext service Aertel.

I dont think keeping a manager in a job just because he visits a few eircom league games is the right way to go. You keep a manager based on results which he didnt achieve. Ridiculous article if you ask me except possibly the part about appointing one of the Eircom League managers in a coaching role who can then also keep tabs on current Eircom League players. He wouldnt have to leave his club team as it would be on a part-time basis

joeSoap
17/10/2005, 2:34 PM
At least one, if not two, should be from the eircom League.

Stephen Kenny and Pat Fenlon would be my choices.

Whatever about the first one....sweet lord jesus, if Nutsy got a job anywhere near the FAI it would be time to really pack it in...:eek: :eek:

Risteard
17/10/2005, 9:26 PM
He does regular write ups on the Eircom league for the RTE teletext service Aertel.
I knew that.
I was just wondering since they bill it as Mark O'Neill Cummins Eircom League Focus whether he was a reknowned journalist from some paper.
Usually talks a bit of sense though to be fair.

sligoman
17/10/2005, 9:54 PM
Hey Risteard, was that you on Faiseann Passean or whatever the feck it's called:confused: . Seen a clip from it on The Panel tonight and his name was Risteard:D

Roverstillidie
17/10/2005, 11:18 PM
Usually talks a bit of sense though to be fair.

does he ****. he was on about how the standard of refereeing was excellent a few weeks ago :confused:

does anyone know who he is, club he follows? double barrell name, could be a gyppo.... but then again he can spell, so probably not

junkie
18/10/2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone who has read Mark O'Neill-Cummins' articles on AERTEL over the past few months knows that he spurts a load of crap.

Risteard
18/10/2005, 1:24 PM
Hey Risteard, was that you on Faiseann Passean or whatever the feck it's called:confused: . Seen a clip from it on The Panel tonight and his name was Risteard:D
Feck no. What are ya watching that for?
Is that the thing with sharon ni Bheoilean or Sile Seoige or one of them?
No thanks.
Imagine them giving me a makeover, walking into me room with her make-up head on her rooting through me City jerseys saying
'Oh No, this must go. Dreadul. This is so 1990s.'
Get away from me tracksuit Sile and feck off back to Brown Thomas before i throw ya down the stairs

sligoman
18/10/2005, 2:32 PM
Feck no. What are ya watching that for?I was watching The Panel, not faseann pasain;)

Just thought I'd ask ya:D