PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Doyle

sfc red
17/10/2005, 11:19 AM
From the Shels site:

The following are quotes taken from Ipswich Towns website following their defeat by Reading yesterday.

The quotes are by Steve Coppell Reading Manager:

Coppell reserved most of his post-match praise for young Irishman Kevin Doyle: "The lad has come from nowhere.

"Three of us went to Ireland to look at him at different times and then we just decided to take a chance on the player.

"I can't really remember what it was that I particularly liked about him. I had five pints of Guinness in the afternoon and it was all a bit blurred.

"He has taken his chance and the nice thing is he's what I call a low maintenance player; he comes in, trains and then goes home. He has no ego and he's a lovely lad."

An absolute disgrace, it shows the contempt the english game has for the EL.

roversforever
17/10/2005, 11:59 AM
im a sligo rovers fan but i want to congratulate cork city on developing kevin doyle.i think he will eventually make an impact for the national team and great credit is due to both himself and cork.i also think george o callaghan is a player who could have a similar impact as doyle and im surprised he hasn't been approached by an english club.

Dodge
17/10/2005, 12:12 PM
im a sligo rovers fan but i want to congratulate cork city on developing kevin doyle.i think he will eventually make an impact for the national team and great credit is due to both himself and cork.i also think george o callaghan is a player who could have a similar impact as doyle and im surprised he hasn't been approached by an english club.
He was at Pats for longer than Cork :p I presume Copells comments were tongue in cheek

pineapple stu
17/10/2005, 12:29 PM
Why?

I'd say the last paragraph is a huge compliment to the game over here and the players it produces compared to the illiterate, immature knackers being churned out in England. (Though it's nothing new - Ken O'Doherty left UCD to go cross-channel and was amazed at the mental capacity of some of his teammates).

He did come from nowhere as far as Reading and their fans are concerned - he wasn't banging in the goals with another English team or with Reading's underage teams. They took a chance on him - sure you take a chance with most players you sign.

What's wrong with the article?

Ronnie
17/10/2005, 12:40 PM
The issue I have with this is the idea that in a period of a couple of months Doyle goes from being a good EL player to Int Standard. I don't believe thats possible, I believe he was that good already. And its not the first time this has happened. Who was the City player a few years ago who went to Leicester I think and made his debut within a few weeks? As if a few weeks full time training are going to improve a player that much!

Risteard
17/10/2005, 12:43 PM
Damien Delaney?

pineapple stu
17/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Yep. Though he's dropped away since. Is he at Hull now?

pete
17/10/2005, 1:19 PM
Yep. Though he's dropped away since. Is he at Hull now?

Taylor left Leicester & Delaney was first signing with Hull who have just got promoted 2 seasons running & he is in first team in the Championship.

Doyle was proven U21 international goal scorer so hardly came from nowhere.

nismo
17/10/2005, 1:42 PM
roy keane is the man who came from nowhere!

pete
17/10/2005, 1:53 PM
roy keane is the man who came from nowhere!

Yeah Queenstown :D

nismo
17/10/2005, 1:57 PM
Yeah Queenstown :D

ho ho ho old man :D

mypost
17/10/2005, 2:36 PM

Seconded. A sad sign of the times, I'm afraid. :o

thejollyrodger
17/10/2005, 2:37 PM
there is another thread already on Doyle.

MERGE THREADS ?

Wexford youth
18/10/2005, 9:55 AM
Noing kevin doyle, and his backround i no that doyle is a product of mick wallace and the wexford youths mick said years ago that hed "walk a hundred miles just to see him play" and has had him under his ever since! :ball:

dcfcsteve
18/10/2005, 10:05 AM
Noing kevin doyle, and his backround i no that doyle is a product of mick wallace and the wexford youths mick said years ago that hed "walk a hundred miles just to see him play" and has had him under his ever since! :ball:

Has he walked over to Reading yet......? :p

Wexford youth
18/10/2005, 10:08 AM
Doesnt need to cause hes on the telly now!!!;)

pete
18/10/2005, 10:32 AM
I think the word is "knowing"

bigmac
18/10/2005, 12:59 PM
I think the word is "knowing"

We no :D

pete
18/10/2005, 3:27 PM
Education standards very poor these days.

;)

paudie
18/10/2005, 4:10 PM
I think Coppell also said that Doyle had no ego and just did his training and went home.

Surely this is what you'd expect from any professional player.

Makes you wonder what other Reading players are up to if Coppell saw fit to comment on Kevin's behaviour.

Mayo Red
18/10/2005, 8:35 PM
The issue I have with this is the idea that in a period of a couple of months Doyle goes from being a good EL player to Int Standard. I don't believe thats possible, I believe he was that good already. And its not the first time this has happened. Who was the City player a few years ago who went to Leicester I think and made his debut within a few weeks? As if a few weeks full time training are going to improve a player that much!

Fair point, Paul Osam said something similar on EL Weekly last Monday week. Granted the Championship in England is a higher standard, but his quality was always there and unfortunately his call up had more to do with the perception that just because you play in England you are automatically a better player.

dancinpants
19/10/2005, 5:20 AM
Fair point, Paul Osam said something similar on EL Weekly last Monday week. Granted the Championship in England is a higher standard, but his quality was always there and unfortunately his call up had more to do with the perception that just because you play in England you are automatically a better player.

This is the problem though! Doyle is the same player now with Reading that he was with Cork and Pats. BUT, if a few months ago we suggested that Doyle was good enough for Ireland, all the gobsh!te premiersh!t barstoolers would have laughed at you. Now they're all "well ye know, he's a good prospect". This is gonna be a wee bit controversial but here it goes anyway - there's too much "English" attitude towards football in Ireland.

If I was to be brutally honest ( and its totally unrealistic and will never happen), I'd rather see an Irish team made up of eL players get tanked every qualifying game but showing heart and passion; than a bunch of blow ins scratch their left nut during the most important game in qualifying (and then let the manager take the flak).

A face
19/10/2005, 7:30 AM
If I was to be brutally honest ( and its totally unrealistic and will never happen), I'd rather see an Irish team made up of eL players get tanked every qualifying game but showing heart and passion; than a bunch of blow ins scratch their left nut during the most important game in qualifying (and then let the manager take the flak).

I totally agree .... at least you'd have players playing for the shirt anyway !!

patsh
19/10/2005, 8:30 AM
This is gonna be a wee bit controversial but here it goes anyway - there's too much "English" attitude towards football in Ireland.

What is controversial about that?
You are simply stating a fact.
The CEO of "our" football organisation would rather spend €500 on going to see Man Utd in England than give his hometown club €50 to help them to survive....

pete
19/10/2005, 10:50 AM
Imagine if the Scottish FA CEO was tarvelling regularily to England to watch 'his' team.

:rolleyes:

bigmac
19/10/2005, 12:25 PM
What is controversial about that?
You are simply stating a fact.
The CEO of "our" football organisation would rather spend €500 on going to see Man Utd in England than give his hometown club €50 to help them to survive....

HArd to believe WUFC are in the state they're in when only last year both the CEO and president of the FAI were Waterford men!

A face
19/10/2005, 6:45 PM
HArd to believe WUFC are in the state they're in when only last year both the CEO and president of the FAI were Waterford men!

Now that says it all !!

TonyD
19/10/2005, 7:40 PM

Absolutely agree. In a perfect world FIFA would decree that only players living in the country could represent their national team. Alright, so we'd struggle badly, but maybe then I could give a schit about the Irish team again. As it is, especially after the events of this week, I couldn't be arced cheering for them ever again. As for John(Oscar Wilde) Delaney, don't get me started. The man is a world class backstabber and a devious piece of dog-muck. However as Dunphy said last night on Setanta(and it's not often I agree with him) everyone's day of reckoning comes sooner or later. Personally I can't wait to see Delaney get his.

Schumi
20/10/2005, 1:38 PM
HArd to believe WUFC are in the state they're in when only last year both the CEO and president of the FAI were Waterford men!On the contrary, that explains it perfectly!