PDA

View Full Version : Smoking ban decided in the North

Green Tribe
16/10/2005, 11:57 PM
:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4346642.stm

About time, I really hope it will be a total ban. No more smelly stale smell of smoke or breathing in all that dung. Happy days! :D I also hope it will encourage people in the North to give up the fags, I think this has been the case down south. Unfortunately it will not come into force until 2007 !!!!

A face
17/10/2005, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately it will not come into force until 2007 !!!!

There was more time to get prepared for it down here to be fair but its great news .... hope its a total ban too !!

carrickharp
17/10/2005, 7:42 AM
Good stuff, we get an awful lot of northerners in Carrick at weekends and a lot of the smokers complain (mostly the females) about being not able to smoke in the pubs in the south that it is great being able to do so up north (I usually tell them to fooking stay there then and stop coming down here complaining).

dcfcsteve
17/10/2005, 7:53 AM
Good news indeed (assuming yer man Woodward does make the call expected from him...).

If there's one place in need of a smoking ban it's Derry ! :eek:

Let's hope they'll target white socks with black shoes/trousers and bad moustaches next..... :)

Green Tribe
17/10/2005, 2:42 PM
Has been announced today, woo-hoo!, 2 years to wait! :rolleyes:

anto1208
17/10/2005, 2:51 PM
i recently went to the uk and went out drinking the first thing i noticed is the pubs stink of that horrible stale beer/fags smell , then after an hour my eyes were stinging , i went to the jacks and it looked like id been on the gear for days my eyes were bright red . the following morning i was coughing up this black sh1te had the worst hangover ive had in years .

all i could think this weekend while out in ireland was god bless the smoking ban .

ill never understand the smokers mentallity the goverment writes on the box these will kill you if you smoke them ,yet people still buy them !!

Aldini98
17/10/2005, 3:04 PM
i recently went to the uk and went out drinking the first thing i noticed is the pubs stink of that horrible stale beer/fags smell , then after an hour my eyes were stinging , i went to the jacks and it looked like id been on the gear for days my eyes were bright red . the following morning i was coughing up this black sh1te had the worst hangover ive had in years .

all i could think this weekend while out in ireland was god bless the smoking ban .

ill never understand the smokers mentallity the goverment writes on the box these will kill you if you smoke them ,yet people still buy them !!

Yeah coughing up black stuff was down to passive smoking, course it was. FFS !!! :rolleyes:

Smoking is cool. :eek:

thejollyrodger
17/10/2005, 3:07 PM
it will do them the world of good.

Bald Student
17/10/2005, 3:19 PM
It was funny watching Irish go out to smoke in the Faeroe's the security man was trying to talk them into going inside but they wouldn't beacuse it "felt wrong".

sligoman
17/10/2005, 3:21 PM
Yeah coughing up black stuff was down to passive smoking, course it was. FFS !!! :rolleyes:You a smoker by any chance?:confused:

Green Tribe
17/10/2005, 3:35 PM
Passive smoking makes your hangover so much worse, for me anyway, my nose and head is so congested.....:eek: Drinking in Ireland is great, no hangover as such that I have noticed.

anto1208
17/10/2005, 4:23 PM
You a smoker by any chance?:confused:

i didnt know if he was being sarcastic or just stupid so i didnt reply ,

i remember all the pubs freaking out saying they will have to shut down , if anything it has forced pubs to clean up there act , offer better beer food etc . and as far as i know not one pub has closed due to loss of revenue but i do know pubs that have doubled or trebled there profits .

Macy
18/10/2005, 9:01 AM
Eh, nicotine is addictive. More addictive than heroin.

I actually found it harder with the smoking ban - I go out with the smokers, although not everytime anymore. Felt like I was missing out.

It also made me stay smoking for a good while longer - hate being told what to do, particularly by the state when they won't have the courage of their so called convictions and ban it outright due to the money they make.

Pub trade definitely down from what I can see. When I'm out, as cans at home far more since it came in (even with giving up still haven't gone back to the pubs as much).

Interesting point re:Hangover's from passive smoking. I'll use that as my excuse for last sunday's deathly feelings (as opposed to the multiply pints of Holts/Boddies/John Smiths :D )

Dodge
18/10/2005, 10:05 AM
Not sure if the drinks trade is down due to smoking. None of my mates smooke but most of us are going the pub far, far less now due to cost (and mortgages, babies, weddings, etc - thankfully not all mine) I know everyone won't be like that but with increased levels of debt all round, most people are just more selective when deciding to go out.

pete
18/10/2005, 10:31 AM
I think pub trade was on the way down pre smoking ban. In boom days pubs were full 7 days a week which could not continue.

Macy
18/10/2005, 11:54 AM
Not sure if the drinks trade is down due to smoking. None of my mates smooke but most of us are going the pub far, far less now due to cost (and mortgages, babies, weddings, etc - thankfully not all mine) I know everyone won't be like that but with increased levels of debt all round, most people are just more selective when deciding to go out.
I'd agree to a certain extent, but it certainly tipped me over the edge. I wasn't willing to put up with the prices etc and then not be able to smoke.

Aldini98
18/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah passive smoking worsens your hangover, what a load of arse !

Green Tribe
18/10/2005, 1:42 PM

I find it does in my case. Maybe not for smokers. Of course you are going to feel worse breathing in heavy smoke for approx 5 hours in an enclosed space as opposed to no smoke at all. :rolleyes:

I have had to leave really smoky places as it has got too much for me and they look at you when you ask for air con or some kind of ventilation! :mad:

When you blow your nose after a night out in a smoky place! :eek:

pete
18/10/2005, 3:41 PM
If abroad in "smoky countries" the affect of passive smoke is really noticable.

Smokers can do whatever they want as long as don't affect others. Really p!sses me off sometimes way some smokers hold the cigarrette far away from their face so wafts towards me :(

Green Tribe
18/10/2005, 4:08 PM
If abroad in "smoky countries" the affect of passive smoke is really noticable.

Smokers can do whatever they want as long as don't affect others. Really p!sses me off sometimes way some smokers hold the cigarrette far away from their face so wafts towards me :(

Thank you Pete. I know that some of my friends who do smoke, when they happen to not smoke on a night out, they feel so much better the next day. Bugs me too, smoke always wafts over to my face and I end up rudely :o waving the smoke out of my face, which sometimes gives them the hint. But the thing that boils my blood is when someone burns you with a fag, aaaah! Have to admit I have barked at a few people when that has happened..:o

dcfcsteve
18/10/2005, 6:36 PM
Really p!sses me off sometimes way some smokers hold the cigarrette far away from their face so wafts towards me :(

It's an unwritten rule of Physics that cigarette smoke will always waft in the direction of any non-smokers. It's as if the smoke knows !

dcfcsteve
18/10/2005, 6:38 PM
when someone burns you with a fag, aaaah! Have to admit I have barked at a few people when that has happened..:o

KT - this is a thread on the Northern smoking ban. Please keep reports of your animal-inspired group sado-masochistic activities for another forum....

Green Tribe
18/10/2005, 9:58 PM
KT - this is a thread on the Northern smoking ban. Please keep reports of your animal-inspired group sado-masochistic activities for another forum....

Now Steve, you Derry boys are just jealous of the activities of the neighbouring Donegal lads!!! :D :eek:

carrickharp
19/10/2005, 7:28 AM
Now Steve, you Derry boys are just jealous of the activities of the neighbouring Donegal lads!!! :D :eek:
A bejasus shhhhhhhhhhh:o

Green Tribe
19/10/2005, 12:15 PM
A bejasus shhhhhhhhhhh:o

heh heh :D

Aldini98
19/10/2005, 12:20 PM
Thank you Pete. I know that some of my friends who do smoke, when they happen to not smoke on a night out, they feel so much better the next day. Bugs me too, smoke always wafts over to my face and I end up rudely :o waving the smoke out of my face, which sometimes gives them the hint. But the thing that boils my blood is when someone burns you with a fag, aaaah! Have to admit I have barked at a few people when that has happened..:o

Oh Oh I'm a BIG GIRLS BLOUSE !!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get away from me smoke, get away (hands waving)

Green Tribe
19/10/2005, 12:34 PM
Oh Oh I'm a BIG GIRLS BLOUSE !!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get away from me smoke, get away (hands waving)

Are you a big girl's blouse?, ah, that's nice. Good boy. :D

Peadar
19/10/2005, 12:46 PM

The week in Cyprus was a real killer on my chest.
You're out chatting in a smoky pub and the next morning you wake up feeling like someone is standing on your chest. My throat was killing me too.

A study in the British Medical Journal found a significant drop in the number of bar staff experiencing respiratory problems since the ban in Ireland was introduced.

Another study published in the Tobacco Control Journal had similar findings, but also found that more than 80% of those who had quit smoking said the ban had helped them to do it.

Smoke all you like, Aldini98, we're not too concerned if you want to kill yourself, but don't drag us down with you. (Excuse the pun)

Green Tribe
19/10/2005, 1:31 PM
I think 98 does refer to his DOB! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dodge
19/10/2005, 1:32 PM
Never really suffered from chest pains from secnod hand smoke but there's nothing worse than the smell of it off your clothes the morning after. For that reason alone its a great law...

Green Tribe
27/10/2005, 7:38 AM
Did anyone see that complete knob on BBC Breakfast earlier this morning? He was giving out about a complete ban on smoking in England and was happy that the Gov't has decided to give people a choice. When Dermot+Natasha asked him about Ireland already banning it and Scotland being soon to follow, he commented that " Oh, but England is a tolerant society". "England is a tolerant and civilised country" :rolleyes:
What a complete w@nker! If he had said this about an African country, people would be up in arms calling "Racist"
Complete arse....:mad:

carrickharp
27/10/2005, 8:15 AM
" Oh, but England is a tolerant society". "England is a tolerant and civilised country" :rolleyes:

Yeah right, FFS can't wait ro see their "fans" in action in Germany next summer, arse:mad: