PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't now be a great time...

A face
16/10/2005, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't now be a great time to play eircom League Select 11 V ROI .... i mean its not like the ROI will be up to much anytime soon :p ..... In December ... when the league is finished !!

Who would manage the eL side though ??

gustavo
16/10/2005, 11:08 PM
the manager of the league winners , whoever that may be!

Slash/ED
16/10/2005, 11:08 PM
Brian Kerr, it'd be the ultimate revenge mission.

A face
16/10/2005, 11:40 PM
Brian Kerr, it'd be the ultimate revenge mission.

He cant manage both !! :eek: :p

rerun
17/10/2005, 7:18 AM
He cant manage both !! :eek: :p
but would he pick any eL players for the eL side ???
only joking:)

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 9:57 AM
This idea should definitely be persued to make it a reality. Would give the EL more coverage to the barstoolers and would put some EL players in the international window seen as they'd be playing against international players - maybe its something the NLSA could push?

A bit disrespectful to the league in a weird sort of way but I still reckon it should be pursued

blutil
17/10/2005, 11:00 AM
mad, was actually thinking the same thing yesterday, but as cosmo said it would be disrepectfull in a way to the league.But I think that the swizerland match was too much of an anti-climax to be the last soccer game played in landsdowne and a ROI v LOI match would be the perfect last game in "the famous venue" at the same time you'd probably not get all the big names (do we have any left) leaving their club for the game

Roverstillidie
17/10/2005, 11:24 AM
wasnt their an el selection v the irish b team about 8 years ago?

pineapple stu
17/10/2005, 12:37 PM
Ireland B v. the LoI has been played twice (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-b-intres.html) - 1-1 in 1997 (Pat Morley for the LoI and Foley (Dominic??) for Ireland) and 4-3 in 1999 (Daryl Clare and Neale Fenn with a brace each for Ireland, Eddie Gormley, Derek Treacy (?) and Graham Coughlan(?) for the league).

I can't see a game against the senior team being organised. The FAI need money after not qualifying for the World Cup and I can't see a game like this coming close selling out. Maybe it'd be feasible at the end of the season in the June slot after we play a big World Cup qualifier at home as well. But probably not.

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 12:40 PM
Ireland B v. the LoI has been played twice (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-b-intres.html) - 1-1 in 1997 (Pat Morley for the LoI and Foley (Dominic??) for Ireland) and 4-3 in 1999 (Daryl Clare and Neale Fenn with a brace each for Ireland, Eddie Gormley, Derek Treacy (?) and Graham Coughlan(?) for the league).

I can't see a game against the senior team being organised. The FAI need money after not qualifying for the World Cup and I can't see a game like this coming close selling out. Maybe it'd be feasible at the end of the season in the June slot after we play a big World Cup qualifier at home as well. But probably not.

Could they not do the 3 friendly things like they did for the sh!t opposition (cant even remember who it was) in the brazil package - thats the way forward imo and they should keep doing that

pineapple stu
17/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Interesting.

Czech Republic and Romania were the other two teams.

Maybe do a two-game package in June, with (say) Spain and the eL. Still, can't see there being huge interest.

blutil
17/10/2005, 12:49 PM
yeah but will we be able to attract decent national teams to play anyway ? maybe the eL should try and get a game with one of the teams who's qualified like holland.

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 12:51 PM
yeah but will we be able to attract decent national teams to play anyway ? maybe the eL should try and get a game with one of the teams who's qualified like holland.

what, and get completely hammered :D

green-blood
17/10/2005, 1:35 PM
The 4-3 a few years back was out in Bray on teh coldest night you could imaine, it was dead calm, misty, a pitch black nite, by the end of the nite there was frost on the pitch - its the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

Neil Fenn was at Tottenham then and he had a great game. It was fun slagging off the Irish team, Gareth Whalley didnt enjoy!!!...Tony Cousins had a chance to level in the last minute but it hit a post.

pineapple stu
18/10/2005, 12:35 PM
The 4-3 a few years back was out in Bray on the coldest night you could imaine
Hmmm...the coldest night you could imagine being in Bray - what are the odds?!

pineapple stu
18/10/2005, 12:35 PM
yeah but will we be able to attract decent national teams to play anyway?
Brazil, Italy, Czech Republic, Holland...haven't had a problem of late.

Drumcondra Red
18/10/2005, 7:15 PM
Doesn't have to be in Landsdowne, would sell out Tolka though, wouldn't it???

pineapple stu
18/10/2005, 7:29 PM
Less money for the FAI though => a lot less attractive.

EnDai
18/10/2005, 9:45 PM
Would have loved to see Weso running rings around Carr, but Finnan will suffice! :D

TheOwl
18/10/2005, 9:53 PM
What ever happened to B internationals anyway? I always thought they were a good idea.

pete
19/10/2005, 10:31 AM
Would make sense to have a few B International every year.

ColinR
19/10/2005, 11:29 AM

not as crazy a it seems. anyone remember a 2-2 draw or 2-0 defeat with croatia before euro 96 at united park. was in the middle of my leaving cert at the time, so not sure on the score - but the match certainly took place. boban and co all played

pineapple stu
19/10/2005, 12:36 PM
not as crazy a it seems. anyone remember a 2-2 draw or 2-0 defeat with croatia before euro 96 at united park. was in the middle of my leaving cert at the time, so not sure on the score - but the match certainly took place. boban and co all played
There was a 2-2 draw alright - but it was in Lansdowne. Keith O'Neill and Niall Quinn scored, I think. It was McCarthy's first non-defeat as Ireland manager. Suker scored for Croatia and someone else. We equalised in the last minute.

Nothing's really "happened" to B internationals - we hardly ever played any of them anyway. I suppose if you have a low-profile friendly - like the Unity Cup last season - that's the exact same.

hoops1
19/10/2005, 12:43 PM
Many moons ago LOI selections used to play as Ireland to qualify
for the olympics whatever happened to that.Who is our Olympic reps now?

bigmac
19/10/2005, 1:06 PM
Many moons ago LOI selections used to play as Ireland to qualify
for the olympics whatever happened to that.Who is our Olympic reps now?

Olympics have to be U-23 team now (possibly U-21 - am open to corrections there). They're allowed have 3 overage players though.

ColinR
19/10/2005, 1:10 PM
There was a 2-2 draw alright - but it was in Lansdowne. Keith O'Neill and Niall Quinn scored, I think. It was McCarthy's first non-defeat as Ireland manager. Suker scored for Croatia and someone else. We equalised in the last minute.

no, they definately played a loi selection in united park as well at the time. my father has pictures at home of the game, and with a few croat players in the clubhouse.

TonyD
20/10/2005, 10:39 PM
The 4-3 a few years back was out in Bray on teh coldest night you could imaine. It was fun slagging off the Irish team, Gareth Whalley didnt enjoy!!!...Tony Cousins had a chance to level in the last minute but it hit a post.

Yeah I remember one of the Irish B player afterwards being totally confused that the crowd were cheering for the League of Ireland side. Plonker. It might have been Matt Holland, but I can't be sure.

There's no way such a game will happen though. One, the FAI hasn't the interest in the league here to arrange it, and nor will their new manager. Two, those overpaid English premier league "stars" wouldn't travel to play a team made up of League of Ireland players. It would be too far beneath them.