PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Times Article - Rod Liddle

beautifulrock
16/10/2005, 5:57 PM
Anyone see this, wonder what is the general feedback on this piece of "fine" journalism, it was in todays Sunday Times (UK Version) not sure if it was in the Irish print.

Rod Liddle: Our World Cup Empire is a mystery to me

SO, the Republic of Ireland have failed to qualify for next year’s World Cup finals.

This has occasioned in me a deep sense of grief, but one which I hope, in time, I will come to terms with. No Robbie Keane cheekily sliding to the ground pretending to shoot an arrow into the crowd; no Kenny Cunningham hacking chunks of flesh off anybody within 50 metres. No heroic defeat to Togo in the last minute of the last game of the group stage. But never mind, huh? No use crying over spilt milk, etc.

Can anybody explain to me why every news and broadcasting organisation treats the Republic as if it were one of the home nations — when, as the angry ghosts of Eamon De Valera and Michael Collins would attest, it most certainly is not? The Irish are afforded exactly the same coverage as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland — three countries which, last time I looked, still had at least nominal membership of the United Kingdom.

Is it vestigial imperialism on the part of sports journalists? Is it assumed that the south’s decision to break away is a mere temporary aberrance, which will one day be corrected and that they didn’t mean it really? Is it perhaps an attempt to take account of the historic friendship that exists between our two countries — or, as the Irish might put it, 1,000 years of Bruddish Uppression? Or is it a form of benevolent condescension — we all adore the Irish, with their cheerful too-rye-aye fiddle-based jigs and love of something they refer to as “the craic”? It cannot be geographical proximity, because the French and the Belgians are closer to the mainland and we couldn’t give a monkey’s about them.

Nor can it be a respect for their footballing prowess: the Republic’s team has all the skill and guile and subtlety of Blackburn Rovers on a bad day. And it’s not the fact that lots of Irish people live in England, otherwise we would pay similar attention to the sporting aspirations of, say, Pakistan or Nigeria. Or, more recently, Poland and Kosovo.

It’s true that a lot of England supporters — all of the ones I know, at least — were certainly very interested in the score from Lansdowne Road last week: they were cheering on the Swiss with almost as much fervour as they were cheering on the national side. But then, Motty didn’t interrupt his commentary of the England versus Poland game to say: “. . . and it’s absolutely terrific news from Dublin, where the P addies are on their way out of the World Cup”.

He instead sounded thoroughly upset. Perhaps he was being deeply ironic, although of all the many qualities one associates with John Motson, a facility for gentle irony does not usually figure among them. Frankly, it’s all a bit of a mystery to me.

No less of a mystery was the praise heaped — universally — upon Shaun Wright-Phillips following England’s thoroughly competent defeat of the lugubrious Poles. I watched Wright-Phillips very closely on Wednesday night; hitherto, I’ve always been a bit of a fan and what’s more, somewhat agnostic on the subject of David Beckham, too. But I cannot recall a single occasion last week where Shaun completed a pass to a member of his own team. Not one. On every single occasion he ended up giving the ball to somebody whose name looked like a difficult, if high-scoring, Scrabble hand.

Sure, he ran very fast along the touchline, quite often with the ball at his feet and I suppose one could say that he caused anxiety within the Polish defence. But it was the sort of anxiety that might be occasioned by a decapitated polecat let loose in a crowded pub, the nerve endings still jangling but sadly disconnected from the cerebral cortex. And wholly devoid of teeth. A blur of pointless and frenetic activity that might be disquieting — but never really dangerous.

How one longed for the carefully flighted ball into the box or the incisive pass through the middle. The difficult truth is, Beckham is incapable of skinning a defender and Wright-Phillips seems incapable of doing anything even vaguely useful once he has.

Almost all of the quality balls last Wednesday were executed by another member of the Chelsea reserves, Joe Cole, who, I thought, played his best game so far for England. Along with the magnificent Ledley King and, of course, Frank Lampard, Cole was the star of the show — although, for once, Michael Owen’s contribution seemed greatly underrated by the pundits the following morning: for a start, he scored a good goal: what more do you want? Peter Crouch’s presence in the team, meanwhile, still seems to me a humorous anomaly, rather as if Les Dennis were one of the candidates attempting to become leader of the Conservative party. It may well be that Crouch is one of the very few Premiership players whose interviews don’t make you want to take out your Luger in a spasm of visceral loathing. But being a decent, palpably sentient, even thoughtful human being should not qualify one to play for England, otherwise we would have a defence that consisted of Linvoy Primus, Graeme Le Saux, Rufus Brevett and Sir Trevor Phillips, which I suspect would look a bit shaky when we come up against the Argies next summer.

Or, indeed, the wonderful Swiss.

dynamo kerry
16/10/2005, 6:12 PM
fairly honest fare if you ask me. I don't give a monkeys' if he finds the amount of coverage we get odd.

gustavo
16/10/2005, 6:31 PM
i agree with him ,of course they shouldnt give us that amount of coverage its their own fault if they do

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2005, 9:36 PM
Surely that should be Liddle Rod aka small penis. The "Liddles" are coming back out of hibernation again. He is a throwback to the 70's/80's coverage of the Irish team. Semi-hooligan hacks who used "Paddies" to describe the Irish team. Who played down the attacks on Irish fans in London (Kilburn Pub wrecked with one Irish fan having a heart attack before game in 1991. Attack on Maggies pub in Willesden during Ireland v England 1990. Vicious stuff and I witnessed the attack in Willesden. Didn't think I would get out alive. I remember the London Standard's "Liddle" describing it as an Irish barroom brawl. It was an unprovoked attack carried out by NF and a few East Belfast types.

beautifulrock
17/10/2005, 7:50 AM
yes he seems quite comfortable to use the term "paddies" but veered away from referring to Pakistan as Pakis. seen some of his previous work and NG has summed him up perfectly.

Dodge
17/10/2005, 8:08 AM
To answer his question, the British media know they there is a relatively large Irish audience, both in Britain and in Ireland, so they pander towards that. Would also assume that a large percentage of British people would see Ireland as a british isle...

I'm not trying to start a political debate, I'm just justifying the British media's coverage of Ireland's games

thejollyrodger
17/10/2005, 8:15 AM
i think its the fact that all of the irish players play in the EPL the english fans can related to them. Plus were not a team of prima donnas and its a very easy team to support. We gave England a lot in the world of football and in general.

shakermaker1982
17/10/2005, 8:18 AM
what an absolute p**ck, got a good mind to send him a nice email about his racism. Paddies hummmm

Tired&Emotional
17/10/2005, 8:34 AM
Disturbing undertones in this article. Is it really about sport or a journalist taking the opportunity to vent his racist opinions under the guise of football?!
He's takin' the mickey out of us for God's sake how on earth can this article be "fair...honest....or agreeable.....????!!

shakermaker1982
17/10/2005, 9:00 AM
"It’s true that a lot of England supporters — all of the ones I know, at least — were certainly very interested in the score from Lansdowne Road last week: they were cheering on the Swiss with almost as much fervour as they were cheering on the national side. But then, Motty didn’t interrupt his commentary of the England versus Poland game to say: “. . . and it’s absolutely terrific news from Dublin, where the P addies are on their way out of the World Cup”.

my fave paragraph. Let me tell you when Zidane scored those 2 goals at Euro 2004 against the hooligans I was so happy I could have cried and wet myself at the same time. If he used the word paki he would be sacked.........yet he can get away with paddy?

Dodge
17/10/2005, 9:04 AM
He'll get away with it because he saying John Motson Wouldn't say Paddies....

Donal81
17/10/2005, 9:19 AM
Rod Liddle writes regularly for the Spectator, a magazine which seems to revel in the hamming up of good old British values, when rule Brittania would be understood all over the world, when Britain was the most civilised and cultured of countries and London was the centre of the known universe.

With writers like Liddle and magazines like the Spectator and elements of the Sunday Times, it's important to read them to understand what's out there. As any sort of commentary, I wouldn't take it seriously, though.

Dodge
17/10/2005, 9:50 AM
He also wrote extensively for the guardian and his other politics seem to be left wing so it might just be a single issue with him

pete
17/10/2005, 11:38 AM
I'm always surprised we get so much coverage in the UK. TBH i couldn't care less if they covered our games or not so he has a point there.

Using the word paddies is insulting & possibly racist. If someone was to make an official complaint to the British Press Commplaints Board (or whatever name is) i've no doubt he would be dragged in & sanctioned.

Rover 2 U
17/10/2005, 11:52 AM
Is it perhaps an attempt to take account of the historic friendship that exists between our two countries — or, as the Irish might put it, 1,000 years of Bruddish Uppression?

Is he taking the **** here? Historic "FRIENDSHIP" WTF?
BRUDDISH UPPRESSION? What planet do you live on you fcuking gob****e!
Two fcuking words for you brit boy - "THE FAMINE"

Now fcuk off and take your poxy queen with you!

shakermaker1982
17/10/2005, 11:53 AM
every major city Manchester, Brum, London, Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield, Cardiff etc etc the list is endless of Irish passport holders. is full of Irish folks and their 2nd and 3rd generation families and why shouldn't we get the news over in the UK?

I'm gonna try and find his email address later on.

geysir
17/10/2005, 11:55 AM
"It cannot be geographical proximity, because the French and the Belgians are closer to the mainland and we couldn’t give a monkey’s about them".

Ah, the "mainland". I like that one

as_i_say
17/10/2005, 11:57 AM
di ck head. that is all.

Closed Account 2
17/10/2005, 6:40 PM
Liddle eh ? Is that what the wife calls him ?

A "Liddle" biography of him

Rod Liddle - Journalist and after dinner speaker. Born in South London in 1960, Rod was educated at a comprehensive school in Guisborough, Cleveland, and the London School of Economics. His pre-BBC career saw various roles, including a reporter on The South Wales Echo and Western Mail, and a research assistant and speechwriter for the Labour Party during the 1980's.

New to the After Dinner Speaking circuit but an experienced raconteur at conferences and elsewhere. Rod draws on his inside knowledge of how the BBC's leading news and current affairs programmes are put together.

Rod has been editor of the Radio 4 Today since 1998 and is therefore the "boss" of such shrinking violets as John Humphrys, Sue MacGregor and James Naughtie!

Before this Rod was involved with Any Questions, and often is called upon to warm up audiences when the programmes go live. Rod writes a weekly column for the Guardian Newspaper.

Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38755000/jpg/_38755357_liddle_bbc150.jpg)is a picture of him...

As an aside, can anyone think of a team in England which hasnt had at least 2-3 Irish players playing for it over the past decade or so.

Irish_Praha
17/10/2005, 6:51 PM
As an aside, can anyone think of a team in England which hasnt had at least 2-3 Irish players playing for it over the past decade or so.

Arsenal.

If you mean playing regularly for them.
McGoldrick only played 38 games in three years and I'm sure lots were as a sub.

FarBeag
17/10/2005, 9:35 PM
There has got to be some way of reporting this Racist Fcuk:mad:

dublinred
17/10/2005, 9:56 PM
Arsenal.

Martin Keown was an ever present.

TheJamaicanP.M.
17/10/2005, 11:30 PM
Arsenal.

How about David O'Leary, Liam Brady, Frank Stapelton and Niall Quinn? From what I have heard, back in the 60s and 70s Arsenal were the big Irish club in London. Areas such as Crickelwood were full of Irish people who supported Arsenal.

lopez
17/10/2005, 11:51 PM
Is he taking the **** here? Historic "FRIENDSHIP" WTF?
BRUDDISH UPPRESSION? What planet do you live on you fcuking gob****e!
Two fcuking words for you brit boy - "THE FAMINE"

Now fcuk off and take your poxy queen with you!My nomination for the post of the month. :D

Actually, I think Liddle has hit the nail on the head, the South African sh*tebag (Funny how he didn't mention the English born we supposedly poached :confused: ). Its purely irredentism, all this supporting Ireland when their sides don't make it (1994), like we're all the same country. Yeah, why don't they f*ck off and follow France? More of them now in their overated league. Anyway he likes it, I doubt none of his In-ger-land bum chums could have received the ecstacy of Ireland failing to qualify as I get when the scum get f*cked out. It's f*cking 'Tan-tastic': Just as good as Ireland winning, IMO. Even better when I think of Liddle Rod next summer. :p

Irish_Praha
18/10/2005, 9:40 AM
Martin Keown was an ever present.

How about David O'Leary, Liam Brady, Frank Stapelton and Niall Quinn? From what I have heard, back in the 60s and 70s Arsenal were the big Irish club in London. Areas such as Crickelwood were full of Irish people who supported Arsenal.

The poster said in the last decade I don't recall any of these players playing many games for Arsenal in the last 10 years and as far as I can remember Martin Keown chose to declare for England not Ireland.

sylvo
19/10/2005, 8:27 PM
This ****e by whoever this tosser is happens to be pretty tame stuff compaired to the stuff that used to be fired out in the 60's 70's and 80's over here by the media which was just pure incitment to hatred towards us, in some aspects I somewhat agree with whoever this tory boy is.

I'm pretty glad his mates were cheering on the Swiss, this we're all part of the ******* Isles b@llocks that sections of the media seem to have towards us nowadays and lumping us in with them and Scotland, Wales and that pub team that beat the self crowned 2006 world champions the other month ****es me off. Not that i go out of my way to read put down articles written about us by the tan media due to the fact that our own football writers in Ireland are doing that job pretty well, but this article has made my day.

Have too look out for what he says when the self appointeted football master race don't win the World cup they cliam to already have won.:D

Pat O' Banton
19/10/2005, 8:45 PM
He wrote a similar article after Ireland's elemination from the 2002 World Cup (in which he interestingly asserted that Ireland were awarded 7 penalties:confused: ) supports Milwall apparently which, the last two points demonstrate his knowlege of football.
He was meant to be part of what was termed an 'anti-fenian caucus' that allegedly existed at the Guardian a couple of years back, along with the likes of Burchill, when some particularly nasty anti-Irish rubbish was coming from the paper. Oh well some Ingerlish are happy we are not going, so what; I'm more upset that we're not going then what some idiots think. Wonder who the rest of the world would have rather had Ireland or Ingerland, not a hard one.
Big question is will their Supporters club will be able to have the subheading 'Ingerland Supporters; riot free since 2004' by the end of next summer?

sylvo
19/10/2005, 9:00 PM
He wrote a similar article after Ireland's elemination from the 2002 World Cup (in which he interestingly asserted that Ireland were awarded 7 penalties:confused: ) supports Milwall apparently which, the last two points demonstrate his knowlege of football.
He was meant to be part of what was termed an 'anti-fenian caucus' that allegedly existed at the Guardian a couple of years back, along with the likes of Burchill, when some particularly nasty anti-Irish rubbish was coming from the paper. Oh well some Ingerlish are happy we are not going, so what; I'm more upset that we're not going then what some idiots think. Wonder who the rest of the world would have rather had Ireland or Ingerland, not a hard one.
Big question is will their Supporters club will be able to have the subheading 'Ingerland Supporters; riot free since 2004' by the end of next summer?

As the good senior said. i'm pretty glad him and his lady friends wanted to see us lose. It beats all the annoying ****e on the run up to USA94 when they laid claim to us and had loads of so called celebs and media over there supporting us, ****ing bugging it was.

If people in Ireland watched and took an interest of more of what's going on in Ireland ;) instead of worrying what some two bit tan hack had too say, the country would be better off.;) :D

BTW, Does anyone know what the Swiss media made of the match rather that some tory ****** seeing that's who we were playing.:eek:

Whats the story with that sl*g Julie Burchill, is she still doing programes on cable tv about the under class, which she is all the time claiming to be from. I can back up that **** sure does come from it.

strangeirish
19/10/2005, 9:47 PM
Hmm, interesting piece of myopic journalism by the fair Mr Liddle. At first I thought it was a classic tongue in cheek dig at us too-rye ahh Oirish pleb's. Then I thought,(After a dozen or so pints of stout and breaking me fiddle over me knee) how boorish can one be? I must come up with a retort. After much soul searching and the racking of the brain to find some eloquent, yet devilish acidic verbage to defend my country's honour, I've decided sir, that you are indeed a gob****e of the highest order.

I would have thought about this much longer, but alas, I must finish white-washing the outside of the cottage, repair the thatched roof and take the donkey for a walk. You can come for walkies with your twin anytime you want, seeing that you insist on making an ass out of yourself.

NY Hoop
20/10/2005, 11:25 AM
Hmm, interesting piece of myopic journalism by the fair Mr Liddle. At first I thought it was a classic tongue in cheek dig at us too-rye ahh Oirish pleb's. Then I thought,(After a dozen or so pints of stout and breaking me fiddle over me knee) how boorish can one be? I must come up with a retort. After much soul searching and the racking of the brain to find some eloquent, yet devilish acidic verbage to defend my country's honour, I've decided sir, that you are indeed a gob****e of the highest order.

I would have thought about this much longer, but alas, I must finish white-washing the outside of the cottage, repair the thatched roof and take the donkey for a walk. You can come for walkies with your twin anytime you want, seeing that you insist on making an ass out of yourself.

:D :D

Commented on in todays Irish Times under the Media&Marketing section.

KOH

Duffman
20/10/2005, 12:21 PM
I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about. That sort of rubbish is always out there. If anyone takes it so seriously then stop buying the paper and email them to let them know your reasons.

beautifulrock
20/10/2005, 1:15 PM
i dont think anyone is getting worked up, just giving thier view on the article, of course the obvious thing would be to stop buying the paper. But stating the obvious us not what this is about.

Junior
20/10/2005, 1:26 PM
don't forget O'leary, suppose he left early to mid nineties though...

EDIT: ignore that didn't realise there was a second page of posts!

lopez
20/10/2005, 11:41 PM
...He was meant to be part of what was termed an 'anti-fenian caucus' that allegedly existed at the Guardian a couple of years back, along with the likes of Burchill, when some particularly nasty anti-Irish rubbish was coming from the paper...Ahh, the fragrant Burchill. She's the Queen of Babe-a-lonia...not! Or as I prefer to call her, 'Giant Haystacks in Drag.' I remember one of her rants - tricolour is like the swastika and lies about how we supported Hitler during the war (no mention of the German lady's uncle getting friendly with the bloke) cos Dev decided to offer his condolences upon his death - because I was out topping up the tan (my own skin I should add) with a beer in my hand when Conchita decided to wreck the day by handing me a copy of the Saturday Grauniad supplement. I did exactly what you say we should do Duffman, and I reckon the ugly c*nt was gone within months (to the same said Murdoch rag as liddlepr*ck). Take it they got a few more emails that day than mine. :D

Duffman
21/10/2005, 9:17 AM
i dont think anyone is getting worked up, just giving thier view on the article, of course the obvious thing would be to stop buying the paper. But stating the obvious us not what this is about.

What is it about then?

Stuttgart88
21/10/2005, 10:16 AM
I actually quite like the Guardian usually. The anti-Irish stuff must have been before I started buying it. Kevin McCarra is a very good football writer.

Wsan't Liddle having an affair with some young one last year & his response to the affair being publicised was really arrogant and his nonchalence was pretty insulting to his wife? I think he also writes for The Spectator which AFAIK is effectively an in-house Tory magazine popular among the xenophobic element in British society. Julie Burchill is a moron as well.

Stuttgart88
21/10/2005, 10:24 AM
Can anybody explain to me why every news and broadcasting organisation treats the Republic as if it were one of the home nations

Well for a start, SKY's covergae is sold outright to UK & Rep.of Ireland so they'd be selling Irish subscribers short if they DIDN'T cover us in some degree of detail.

In any event, I hate the patronising approach taken by BBC & ITV to Irish football. Poorly researched & patronising (Barry Davies excepted) it only ever scratches the surface. I'm p1ssed off hearing "ah, the Irish, well their spirit will see them through" ignoring the fact that our football was probably better than theirs in WC02.

I didn't hear Rod Liddle complain when a Sth African won the Ashes for them though that's a different topic.