PDA

View Full Version : Would LOI players have made an impact?

sean
16/10/2005, 4:48 PM
if kerr did pick a few loi players would they of made an inpact in helping the national squad? we see doyle doing well with reading, how about o flynn on the squad? or would crowe made an inpact? with the "talent" that was on display vs cyprus and the swiss i dont think a loi player would of done that bad!!

sligoman
16/10/2005, 4:49 PM
No eircom league player at the moment would have helped us qualify for the world cup

The Stars
16/10/2005, 4:52 PM
would an Eircom league selection that were training together for a few months beat the current irish team....i think so.

joema
16/10/2005, 5:05 PM
We had no creatitvity at all in the centre of the park. I think George O'Callaghan or Wes Hoolahan would have done a decent job in there

Soper
16/10/2005, 5:07 PM
In a word....yes.

Cosmo
16/10/2005, 7:09 PM
if kerr did pick a few loi players would they of made an inpact in helping the national squad? we see doyle doing well with reading, how about o flynn on the squad? or would crowe made an inpact? with the "talent" that was on display vs cyprus and the swiss i dont think a loi player would of done that bad!!

Not a chance and whoever thinks otherwise is fooling themselves :rolleyes:

ThatGuy
16/10/2005, 8:43 PM
would an Eircom league selection that were training together for a few months beat the current irish team....i think so.
If you think that a team of players from one of the low ranking leagues in Europe would beat an international side which has only lost one competitive match in the last two years (thanks to a wonder-goal from one of the world's best players) then maybe you should think again.

ccfcgirl
16/10/2005, 9:09 PM
I think Wes h(shels), Kevin Doyle (Reading but was just as good with cork city) ,Jason Byrne (shels) would of well made the senior Squad.

junkie
16/10/2005, 9:14 PM
The way I look at it is if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland so can anyone.

If Doyle can get a call up there is no reason why Wes Hoolahan, Jason Byrne and George O'Callaghan can't get a call up.

A face
16/10/2005, 9:55 PM
The way I look at it is if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland so can anyone.

If Doyle can get a call up there is no reason why Wes Hoolahan, Jason Byrne and George O'Callaghan can't get a call up.

Maybe not Georgie (hate saying it) but the others definitely yes ..... And anyone that is saying this is believing the hype ..... DONT believe the hype ... The lads would play for the shirt and no matter how much anyone tries to convince me there is a huge gulf in difference, i wont believe them. I would put money on it that those three players above would show their worth.

I would be more prepared to say otherwise, if it wasn't so evident how bad some of the Irish squad are right now. I ma not saying that they are world beaters, not at all ... but right now, they might have been better options.

The argument against doesn't stand a chance really ... considering the last few games ... give it up lads !!

sligoman
16/10/2005, 10:12 PM
I would put money on it that those three players above would shoe their worth.They probably would shoe it, that's why they wouldn't make the squad;):p

Slash/ED
16/10/2005, 10:19 PM
Compare and contrast, Wes Hoolahan in Europe for Shels, especially against Deportivo, and some of the dross Kerr picked at international level against weaker opposition. There's your answer.

Same goes for Heary btw

A face
16/10/2005, 10:19 PM
They probably would shoe it, that's why they wouldn't make the squad;):p

Carry on, that inferiority complex will get you places !!

When Flynnie was on form, before his injury .... i would have included him aswell, Flynnie and Doyler have played over two years at City and i have seen some unreal vision and skill from them both.

They would do well in the Irish squad ... i agree if players aren't up to the standard, they shouldn't get on the senior team .... but when we DO have players who could get on it, we dont need every fúcker in the league saying they shouldn't (imo opinion) following what half the two-bit hacks and crumby panelists say. I would have a bit of faith in their ablility and not look to undermine any chance they would have

Who can say that Matt Holland, the other night would have been a better option than Wes Houlhan !?!?

A face
16/10/2005, 10:20 PM
Compare and contrast, Wes Hoolahan in Europe for Shels, especially against Deportivo, and some of the dross Kerr picked at international level against weaker opposition. There's your answer.

Fúck it .... you beat me to it !! :p

A face
16/10/2005, 10:21 PM

And what is worse is you'd have guys on here trying to convince you that you are wrong .... un-fúcking-real !! :o :mad: :(

ger121
16/10/2005, 10:37 PM
The only way we will ever really know is if they are given a chance. The freindlies over the next year should be used to try as many players as possible. The like of Doyle, Kelly, Ireland etc... I would also include some el players too after all what have Ireland to lose except a meaningless friendly. We haven't much strength in depth so lets try anyone who has the potential regardless of what league/country they play in.

gustavo
16/10/2005, 11:09 PM
true , although i dont buy into the theory that the eL lads would try any harder than their foreign league equivalents

mypost
16/10/2005, 11:23 PM

If you think that a team of players from one of the low ranking leagues in Europe would beat an international side which has only lost one competitive match in the last two years (thanks to a wonder-goal from one of the world's best players) then maybe you should think again.

Sean didn't ask for a team or selection of players coming en-masse in to the side. He asked if a few players would make an impact, namely 3.

So long as Irish International bosses have a persecution complex about our league, nobody based here will be considered until we run out of players from England, which looks like it will happen sooner rather than later.

Playing the elite players in our league, on a staggered basis, will not upset the balance of the side. You can play one NL player in a friendly and see how they adapt. If they don't, well at least they had their chance anyway. Nobody is calling for a shedload of NL players bursting into the side of a sudden. It can happen, if it is introduced gradually. If x player impresses, he can continue to be selected. If he continues to impress, he can be considered to play in competitive games. Soon afterwards, he will be with an English club. With relatively few players available, only the ignorant people towards our league can disagree that, that way is the way forward for the national side in the long term. We are eventually going to have to turn to NL players to play international football, it's better to do it on a gradual basis, so they can adjust to the team and set-up with the side suffering minimal disruption, rather than suddenly throw 5 or 6 players to the wolves in a few years time, and with us losing many games as a result.

pete
17/10/2005, 10:46 AM
I think Danny Murphy would do as good as O'Shea or Harte at left back. There are a few keepers like Devine (lots of experience) definitely good enough for the 3rd keeper position.

ThatGuy
17/10/2005, 11:51 AM
Sean didn't ask for a team or selection of players coming en-masse in to the side. He asked if a few players would make an impact, namely 3.
I was answering this

sligoman
17/10/2005, 12:23 PM
There are a few keepers like Devine (lots of experience) definitely good enough for the 3rd keeper position.John O'Hara would get that one;)

TheOwl
17/10/2005, 12:47 PM
For me Wes would be the only one worth a place in the squad. He was great in those European games but he has improved 10-fold this season (shame about the rest of the team), he just doesn't seem to have bad games anymore, and the team looks so stale when he is out injured.

Jason Byrne isn't good enough though, his first touch is ropey at best, and his finishing is erratic. He has great positioning, but wouldn't get the same number of chances at international level, and despite all his goals, he actually misses more than he scores.

Owen Heary would have merited a cap or two a couple of years ago, but I think it is too late for him now.

As for Cork and Derry players? Well I think there are much more collectively strong than Shels, but I don't think they have an individual of Weso's class (now that Doyle has gone).

Dodge
17/10/2005, 12:48 PM
No, the reasons Outlined here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=370032&postcount=17)

tiktok
17/10/2005, 12:55 PM
Danny Murphy is IMO at least as competent defensively as Harte/O'Shea and offers a lot more going forward than either.

At a stretch, Weso on song would be worth a look.
That'd be about it IMO. Georgie's nowhere close though.

Cosmo
17/10/2005, 1:00 PM
Georgie's nowhere close though.

Totally agree - plus he's a scumbag- so is his car in buy and sell these days :p ?

pete
17/10/2005, 1:22 PM
I think eL players have to prove themselves in Europe before international consideration so just Shels & Cork City squads for now. Derry City players would have to prove themselves in Europe & the league next season.

gustavo
17/10/2005, 1:24 PM
is danny murphy not english ?

pete
17/10/2005, 1:30 PM
is danny murphy not english ?

AFAIK Anglo-irish. Think his mother from Kinsale.

Slash/ED
17/10/2005, 2:39 PM
It's not a case of them being international class or not but a case of them being better options than the utter clowns we have capped in their places like Barrett and Doherty amoungst many others, who if they're international class so am I.

EnDai
17/10/2005, 2:56 PM
Added to the other plus points for the players listed, they would go out there and give it their all. They'd be hungry, fight for the ball, and work themselves like horses to give their all for the team. Something our current squad don't seem to fancy....

pete
17/10/2005, 4:55 PM
Barrett & a few other useless players are proof that players get picked for International team based on the club they play for. Barrett is now at Livingston. Other failures at international level - Macken, Alan Lee etc...

:(

Shelsman
17/10/2005, 5:07 PM
If it was up to me I would give the following lads a few games in the friendlies over the next year or so ( what have we got to lose? ):

Goalkeepers:
Michael Divine ( surely should be 3rd choice keeper and not Colgan )

Defenders:
Owen Heary
Danny Murphy

Midfielders
Wes Hoolahan
George O'Callaghan ( cheating c*** as he is and all ).
Kevin Hunt ( Naturalised )

Strikers
Jason Byrne

Vitruvian Man
17/10/2005, 5:13 PM
There is an argument that a handful of players, the absolute cream of the EL, would merit a place in the internmational squad ahead of the absolute worst of the players called up. and that is enough to say that the EL is ignored by the FAI management teams who are biased towards English football.

On the other side, I don't believe that the EL could put together 11 players who would have done better in Irelands qualifying group than the National side did. Perhaps the EL 11 might beat the national team in a freak one-off but don't cod yourselves people.

You can judge the EL players well enough by how they do in Europe. The things we like to celebrate are our victories over Aberdeen, Hajuk Split and Djurgardens but these are all third rate sides in the European sense. When we have played second rate sides like Rosenborg/Kaiserslautern, Derpotivo/Steau Bucharest or Sparta Prague we have got battered. The EL still celebrates it's moral victories (beat K'town away, kept Deportivo scorless for 130 minutes etc) and that in itself is a sign of minnowism.

pete
17/10/2005, 5:30 PM
The problem with eL sides in Europe is that as they progress their weaknesses are exposed as don't have quality players throughout the team.

Little chance of eL XI beating International side.

I'd be very interested to see how eL elite squad would do in a season in the SPL or English Championship. That would be if they trained as a club all season.

Shelsman
20/10/2005, 5:20 PM
I'd be very interested to see how eL elite squad would do in a season in the SPL or English Championship. That would be if they trained as a club all season.

A bit like Shels then?

:D

Mayo Red
20/10/2005, 6:49 PM
Alan Lee

This is the same man who was on about throwing his lot in with the U.S.A around the time that Glen Crowe got his two caps because he felt that he was not getting his chance, and that Crowe should not have been selected ahead of him!

Back to the thread - As was touched on earlier, if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland anyone can (I myself am waiting on the chance to impress the new manager!:rolleyes: :D ). Seriously though, I have always thought that Owen Heary was worth a shot. He has consistently performed well for Shels, and in particular in Europe. Wes Houlahan and Liam Kearney may also be worth a look. I always thought Kevin Hunt was quality too, he would surely qualify by now but is gettin on a bit!

A face
20/10/2005, 7:12 PM
No, the reasons Outlined here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=370032&postcount=17)

"Doyle's doing great but he's still far from the finished article. In an ideal world he wouldn't have been picked last week but given more time to develop."

Dodge .... the fact that he was picked and knows that if he shines, he will get picked again .... do you not think that mentally it is very good for him and would make him strive to improve himself even further !?!?!

Dyl10
20/10/2005, 7:52 PM
If i was tryin out a few players it would have to be:
wes houlihan
georgie
neale fenn

I dont think any others have the class but i think these players would give us something we dont have

TonyD
20/10/2005, 9:55 PM
Whatever about the merits of this argument, the fact is that if Brian Kerr didn't pick any of the players mentioned then no Irish Manager will. This was one of the things that peed me off about the criticism of Kerr. He knows these players well, and it was a genuine judgement on his behalf that they weren't good enough. Does anyone honestly think that whoever takes over is even going to know who these players are, or is going to bother finding out ? You can be damn sure that you aren't going to see Alex Ferguson, Martin O'Neill, David O'Leary or John Aldridge(God Help Us) At Tolka Park, Richmond Park or Turners Cross. What we can expect instead is a frantic rush to find lots more players not good enough for England who have Irish grannies. Yes folks, this is the brave new world John Delaney is leading us into. I wonder can we petition FIFA to break away from the FAI and have our own national team.

drinkfeckarse
21/10/2005, 12:10 PM
There are a few keepers like Devine (lots of experience) definitely good enough for the 3rd keeper position.

I would definately agree with that.

bigmac
21/10/2005, 2:57 PM
Former Republic of Ireland international Ronnie Whelan feels that any new manager must go down the road of attracting foreign-born players of recent Irish descent to declare for Ireland – because the quality of the current national side is below the necessary standard.

Jack Charlton famously nurtured a policy of seeking UK-born players with Irish parentage, with John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, Terry Phelan, Jason McAteer, Tony Cascarino and John Sheridan all becoming big favourites with the Green Army.

Although there were notable failures amongst the recruits, such as Eddie McGoldrick and Bernie Slaven, Whelan feels that the policy must be re-enacted in order to bump Ireland back up the world ladder.

He said: “At the moment we have four or five very good players in the likes of Shay Given, Damien Duff and Robbie Keane, but there is not much beyond them. The rest of the squad is much of a muchness.

“It means we will probably have to go down the route Jack Charlton did when he was in charge and find players of Irish descent, like Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Andy Townsend.

“We will have to trawl places to try and find them. It’s legal, so why not do it? If you do it and they are good enough, so be it.”

Fantastic. Just what we need :mad: