PDA

View Full Version : All-Ireland XI

EireBadBoy
15/10/2005, 2:27 AM
Nooooooo, I'm not trotting out another wan o' them threads that bores ye dae death - alright mebbe I am.

Anyway, saying we had an All-Ireland team, I'd buy it.

1)Shay Given

2)Steve Carr
3)Ian Harte
4)Richard Dunne
5)Aaron Hughes

6)Roy Keane (the aul' *******) for at least a game or two then Liam Miller./Matt Holland...
7)Keith Gillespie
8)Andy Reid - play him in the middle, provide the balls there
11)Damien Duff - if he's not off all Chelsea'd up (bluffer! Roy Keane MkII)

9)Robbie Keane
10)David Healy

to me that is not political, that is an Ireland side that would see us qualify for the Euro Championship/World Cup.

Am I wrong?

8)

mypost
15/10/2005, 3:56 AM
No, I'm not trotting out another wan o' them threads that bores ye dae death - alright mebbe I am.

Anyway, saying we had an All-Ireland team, I'd buy it.

1)Shay Given

2)Steve Carr
3)Ian Harte
4)Richard Dunne
5)Aaron Hughes

6)Roy Keane (the aul' *******) for at least a game or two then Liam Miller./Matt Holland...
7)Keith Gillespie
8)Andy Reid - play him in the middle, provide the balls there
11)Damien Duff - if he's not off all Chelsea'd up (bluffer! Roy Keane MkII)

9)Robbie Keane
10)David Healy

So that makes what, 8 of the team from the Republic of Ireland, even a retired player! :eek: Not much of an All-Ireland XI then, eh?? And I wouldn't pick the Northern Ireland players above either, because frankly, they're useless.

That's why there will never be an All-Ireland XI team, on a practical, political, and a financial basis. Do you seriously think the IFA would give up their independence, lose hundreds of thousands of £'s in the process, to lump themselves in with the FAI, with the team/squad almost totally comprised of Republic players? I certainly can't see it happening.

Even if it could happen, where would all the games be played?? Lansdowne Road, of course, another reason why the IFA would veto any notion of the two associations merging. The idea is completely unworkable and will never ever occur, full stop.

thejollyrodger
15/10/2005, 8:43 AM
everyone has to give this all island of ireland team thing a break. its never going to happen because northern irish players are crap and they dont see themselves as irish. who wants all the british flags & loyalists at landsdowne road? not for me thanks

CraftyToePoke
15/10/2005, 11:05 AM
although i agree that its very unlikely to happen anytime soon,wouldnt we be raving about the Davis lad who has broken through at villa recently if the sides were to merge? he looks a decent midfielder.

gustavo
15/10/2005, 1:48 PM
id have steven davis in that team and on current form morrison ahead of keane with healy

Closed Account 2
15/10/2005, 2:48 PM
Davis would easily make the starting 11 esp now Holland and Roy Keane seem likey to retire. I'd say Ian Dowie, Sanchez or even Worthington would have a good chance of being in the running for an all-Ireland manager.

Also Maik Taylor would be a great sub keeper, and that Hibs player would be a useful option as a sub striker.

Its not likely to happen any time soon, but maybe for a one off (eg charity game etc) it would be interesting to see.

livehead1
15/10/2005, 3:38 PM
sproule?? are u having a bloody joke. they signed him in the summer and he aint even good for them, he cant get in the north of ireland side, hes useless as are their team

gustavo
15/10/2005, 3:48 PM
they havent looked "useless" as you put it any time i've seen them in the last six months :rolleyes:

as_i_say
16/10/2005, 11:39 AM
what-maik "born in germany, never set foot on the island of ireland before getting a call up to northern ireland on the basis of holding a british passport" Taylor?
no thanks. the vast majority of the northern ireland squad believe they are british. Thats it.

Tired&Emotional
17/10/2005, 8:43 AM
Jez, not a thread on this again! Talk about flogging dead horse.....!!

Krstic
17/10/2005, 2:53 PM
what-maik "born in germany, never set foot on the island of ireland before getting a call up to northern ireland on the basis of holding a british passport" Taylor?
no thanks. the vast majority of the northern ireland squad believe they are british. Thats it.

I think his Da's from Belfast!!!

mchurl
18/10/2005, 10:35 AM
lads it'll will never happen. it ain't financially viable or even in terms of safety is it viable. And besides the only norn iron players who are half decent are maik taylor9We already have shay who is far better) and aaron hughes(who ain't even that geat) or maybe david healy??:rolleyes:

as_i_say
18/10/2005, 11:44 AM
could do with healy i guess. banging in goals lately. didnt know that about taylor. sorry maik i take it all back ;)

colster
18/10/2005, 11:59 AM
lads it'll will never happen. it ain't financially viable or even in terms of safety is it viable. And besides the only norn iron players who are half decent are maik taylor9We already have shay who is far better) and aaron hughes(who ain't even that geat) or maybe david healy??:rolleyes:

And what about the likes of Steven Davis (playing regularly for Villa), Damien Johnson (plays regularly for Birmingham), Keith Gillespie (playing regularly for Sheffield United).
All of them would be in with a shout of the first team as we have a lack of Central Midfielders and right sided players. Johnson can play right full or right side of midfield and has been pretty good in CM for the north in recent games. Gillespie although getting on a bit would be a very useful player on the right.
I think you'd get up to 3/4 players from the North in a combined first team.

Roo69
18/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Steven Davis, Damien Johnson, David Healy, Aaron Hughes and Miak Taylor are the only players would would have a realistic chance of making an all-Ireland squad, on current form i think all bar Taylor would probably start

colster
18/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Steven Davis, Damien Johnson, David Healy, Aaron Hughes and Miak Taylor are the only players would would have a realistic chance of making an all-Ireland squad, on current form i think all bar Taylor would probably start

I think Gillespie would also get into the squad. He's a natural right winger. We don't have too many of them.