PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane retired from International football

Armando
14/10/2005, 5:11 PM
..according to RTE:(

thejollyrodger
14/10/2005, 5:15 PM
just head that on the radio there now. Well no surprises there. Im glad that its over to be honest. Its the end of an era and its time to start from the start again. I imagine Mattie holland will follow suit.

Thanks Roy for all those games !!

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 5:16 PM
when's the party?
:eek: :D ;)

thejollyrodger
14/10/2005, 5:20 PM
Keane quits international scene
14/10/2005 - 18:00:36
http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/10/14/story225528.html
Manchester United and Republic of Ireland star Roy Keane is to quit international football, he said tonight.

In a statement released to RTÉ, Keane said: “The time has come to concentrate on domestic football”.

The midfielder paid tribute to beleaguered Irish manager Brian Kerr, saying criticism of him in the media during the failed World Cup qualifying campaign was “unjust and unfair”.

I wish I could type in big letters.. it was one of the best features of this board

ccfcgirl
14/10/2005, 5:23 PM
I just saw it there on rte news .........I have mixed feelings on the matter

davey
14/10/2005, 5:36 PM
Much as I loathed what he did in Saipan, I'm sad to see him retire. We could have done with him for the next campaign. With Kenny C retiring, RMK could have done a job for us in defence I felt. Thanks for some of the great performances through the years.

gustavo
14/10/2005, 5:41 PM
i echo davey sentiments , cant fault his commitment on the pitch over the years thanks for the memories roy , presumably given the new captain?

Jon'o
14/10/2005, 5:43 PM
retired? or just not playing in friendlys??

ah well wouldnt have been around for euro 2008 anyway :p

gnasher
14/10/2005, 5:46 PM
So the curtain falls on Roy's career again, not too much of a suprise really.

He was always a legend in an Irish shirt and hopefully he'll come back one day and stand in the dugout.

Who else should follow him out of the door?

Thanks for the memories, boy!

thejollyrodger
14/10/2005, 5:48 PM
Its is a bit sad though. :(

beautifulrock
14/10/2005, 6:04 PM
yes sad to see but not unexpected, some massive games in the great shirt...

onenilgameover
14/10/2005, 7:55 PM
Bye RMK! you were good when ye decided to play...However Ireland owes ye zilch...

eirebhoy
14/10/2005, 8:14 PM
Much as I loathed what he did in Saipan, I'm sad to see him retire.
Imagine this. Roy was the manager in Saipan and Mick was the big centre half. They had an argument and it was impossible for them to be in each others company. Who'd be going home? Mick. He wouldn't be turning his back on his country. There was no other option in Saipan.

M@ttitude
14/10/2005, 8:37 PM
Imagine this. Roy was the manager in Saipan and Mick was the big centre half. They had an argument and it was impossible for them to be in each others company. Who'd be going home? Mick. He wouldn't be turning his back on his country. There was no other option in Saipan.
Bitter still myself but theres no way Mick in his day could single handedly get us to a big tournament Like Roy did. Mick should have been able to adjust to the different temperments of his players especially the great one who was that great because of his temperment!

RiffRaff
14/10/2005, 11:22 PM
good riddance

gustavo
14/10/2005, 11:59 PM
Roy also expressed dismay at the medias treatment of Kerr. wonder what Eamo will make of that !

brine3
15/10/2005, 12:05 AM
The Human Dynamo and the greatest footballer ever to come out of this country. The 66 most well earned caps in football history.

Thanks Roy.

Marked Man
15/10/2005, 12:10 AM
Keane didn't get us anywhere single-handedly; that's nonsense. Given in goal didn't contribute? Goals by McAteer and Robbie didn't?

Certainly one of our best players, that I've seen play. Would rate Brady and McGrath a notch above him though.
Glad to see him go though. Cleans the slate from Saipan.

RedX
15/10/2005, 1:39 AM
To any of you that dont have the decency to wish him the best all i can say is..dont be so miserable all your lives..its sad to see such a great sportsman being knocked for having ambition..

Now i would like to wish the greatest player our country has ever produced all the best..its a sad day for Irish football like it was when the brilliant Paul McGrath retired..

RedX
15/10/2005, 1:44 AM
Would rate Brady and McGrath a notch above him though.

This is why its hard to take some posters on the forum serious with such silly comments like this...Brady was a very good player and McGrath was a great International for Ireland..but to rate them above Keane is a joke..Keane has been one of the best midfielders in the world for the last ten years..

geysir
15/10/2005, 1:44 AM
Certainly one of our best players, that I've seen play. Would rate Brady and McGrath a notch above him though.
Glad to see him go though. Cleans the slate from Saipan.
AFAIC he came back, if there was anything on the slate it was cleaned. I keep telling my wife, if it happened over 6 months ago you can't use it.
Even in his 1/2 crocked state he was seriously missed in our last 2 games. The only good thing about his departure is that in his last game for Ireland we are left with a fresh memory of the 'stormer' against the French.
If I had a choice of another 2 years with Roy as captain or the nr. 1 manager on the fantasy wish list , O'Neill, I would pick Roy. Of all the holes left in our team now, centre midfield is by far the emptiest.

mountie
15/10/2005, 2:23 AM
He WAS wrong to do what he did in Saipan. He should have stayed and aired his grievances after the tournament. I'm sure he realised that in hindsight. However there is no doubt he was one of the best players ever to put on an Irish shirt. Even those of you who are bitter towards him for Saipan know deep down he was a great player for us and was missed and will be missed by OUR team. Good luck to him I hope he returns as Our manager some day.

FarBeag
15/10/2005, 7:26 AM
Really sorry to see him go. IMO and without a second thought the best player ever to wear an Irish shirt.
Thanks Roy

thejollyrodger
15/10/2005, 9:06 AM
Fcuk Saipan. Its a stinky sh1te hole with lots of car parks and little grass. People got their wires crossed over there. Time to forget it.

davey
15/10/2005, 10:31 AM
This is why its hard to take some posters on the forum serious with such silly comments like this...Brady was a very good player and McGrath was a great International for Ireland..but to rate them above Keane is a joke..Keane has been one of the best midfielders in the world for the last ten years..

Its an opinion, not a silly comment. Thats what forums are all about. The idea that Mcgrath and Brady were better than Keane is not a joke. IMHO McGrath was the greatest player ever to don the Green. Others might say Keane, others Brady. Theres nothing silly about any of these views. All of them could be backed up quite easily.

PaulB
15/10/2005, 5:43 PM
Absolute Legend, without doubt the most influential player ever to wear green. Thanks for memories ROY..

Marked Man
15/10/2005, 6:30 PM

McGrath was just better than Keane. No joke. Fact. To say this is not to say that Keane wasn't one of our best ever players (in case you missed this part of my silly post, I explicitly said this). He just wasn't better than McGrath. I know you Cork folks have difficulty with this, but it's the truth.

Marked Man
15/10/2005, 6:56 PM
AFAIC he came back, if there was anything on the slate it was cleaned. I keep telling my wife, if it happened over 6 months ago you can't use it.

I'm not using it, at least not in the sense of using it against Keane. The fact is that ever since 2002, Keane has been a divisive figure, amongst fans if not amongst the team itself. For confirmation of this you only have to look at the tone of several of the posts following mine that are indignant that someone would even dare to suggest that there might be an upside to Keane going.
The fact that he is a divisive figure is what I was referring to when I said his going would clean the slate from Saipan. That aspect of his going, if not the hole in central midfield that he leaves, can only be good.

Ringy
15/10/2005, 7:15 PM
McGrath was just better than Keane. No joke. Fact. To say this is not to say that Keane wasn't one of our best ever players (in case you missed this part of my silly post, I explicitly said this). He just wasn't better than McGrath. I know you Cork folks have difficulty with this, but it's the truth.

On a world stage how many people would hold keane ahead of McGrath? A vast vast majority.
Why was it that Roy played with top teams in comparison to the teams Mcgrath played with? Top players play for top teams
For Mcgrath to be ahead Keane wouldnt he have been the more succesful? Just count the medals they both have and McGrath aint more successful.

Superhoops
15/10/2005, 7:56 PM
On a world stage how many people would hold keane ahead of McGrath? A vast vast majority.
Why was it that Roy played with top teams in comparison to the teams Mcgrath played with? Top players play for top teams
For Mcgrath to be ahead Keane wouldnt he have been the more succesful? Just count the medals they both have and McGrath aint more successful.
The point being discussed is not who was the most successful player (measured by medals won) but who was the better player.

Players do not win medals on their own, they do so as part of a team, so by that measure there is no doubt Keane played in more successful sides than McGrath. However that does not make Keane a better player than McGrath.

Similarly, Keane did not qualify Ireland for the 2002 World Cup Finals on his own, as many have suggested. In every game, he had at least 10 others playing with him and while he may have played excellently in all the qualifying games, he did not do it on his own!

I am not sure everyone would agree that top players play for top teams or to be a top player you have to play for a top team. Shay Given is a prime example!

Marked Man
15/10/2005, 8:11 PM

I might be willing to concede the point if you'll also concede that anyone who has ever won more than one champions' league/European cup medal is better than RMK (for example, every member of the Notts Forest team that won two Euro Cups).

Didn't think so.

Schlooooomp
16/10/2005, 11:28 AM
I wish Roy all the best, he truly was a great Irish player, I wish McCarthy had not SENT him home from Saipan, McCarthy has sullied the name of one of the greatest players in his own country.

Personally I think Keane should hang in their for another 2 years as centre mid is not looking good for us at the moment.

Superhoops
16/10/2005, 12:23 PM
......McCarthy has sullied the name of one of the greatest players in his own country.....
No matter what or who's version you listen to or read there is no way you can draw that conclusion. It was Keane who sullied his own name with his tirade of vile verbal abuse of McCarthy who had no option only to send him home.

Even now, more than three years later, not one of the other players who was in the room at the time has come out to support Keane or even to empathise with him.

You should also remember that regardless of his feelings towards McCarthy, Keane has never expressed any regrets about the fact that his outburst resulted in him letting down his team, his country and the supporters.

Keane's name was sullied OK, but only by himself.

eirebhoy
16/10/2005, 12:26 PM
http://www.themuppet.utvinternet.com/keano/

Donal81
16/10/2005, 1:12 PM
I'm really not bothered getting into the Saipan argument. Roy Keane was the finest Irish player I ever had the privilege to see in the flesh - Paul McGrath, Kevin Moran and Liam Brady were slightly before my time. He's clearly not the most pleasant or easy-going of men but who cares?

I watched Ireland play Holland in Fiona's, an Irish bar on the upper east side of Manhattan. For as long as I live, I will never forget his performance that day and as a supporter I couldn't ask for more from him.

Thanks for the memories Roy - the end of one hell of an era.

OwlsFan
17/10/2005, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the memories Roy - the end of one hell of an era.

In my opinion Keane's lasting legacy to Irish international football is that he has caused it untold damage.

His utterance "I don't do friendlies" for a start demeaned international football.

Saipan: "Fail to prepare - prepare to fail". Well we've just seen how the best prepared team in Irish football got on even with the master coming back from his self-imposed exile.

Early retirement from playing for his country has now given cretins like Carr an excuse to follow his example.

When he turned up (for competitive games unless he was suspended due to a needless booking) he gave 100%. No doubt about that and was a superb player. That was in his nature. However, I think his overall attitude to representing his country compared to playing for his club (where he did do friendlies) has damaged international football at a time when it is seriously under threat from major clubs. I suspect the Carr retirement is just the tip of the iceberg.

And for those who want to see him managing the country, I ask the question will he turn up for the friendlies? He'll be missed as a player. I shall not miss him as a person.

Hither green
17/10/2005, 9:42 AM

My votes for McGrath. Brady was a bit before my time so can't really comment.

And I'll obviously stop questioning Finnan and O'Shea as obviously playing for Liverpool and Man United makes them world class.

Don Vito
17/10/2005, 12:28 PM
Sad to see him go, thanks for the memories Roy. Delighted he went out with a good display against the French, he was head and shoulders above the rest I thought, even the most anti-Roy person I know (Joesemi) agreed. I think in the fullness of time he will regret Saipan, but I think its time we all moved on from it now, the two protagonists in the story have left the stage. Its sad that two men who I have so much respect for split the nation but such is football and I've no idea where I'm going with this post so that it!

Thanks Roy.

Marked Man
17/10/2005, 1:58 PM
[QUOTE=Don Vito] Saipan, ...its time we all moved on from it now, the two protagonists in the story have left the stage. QUOTE]

My point exactly.

zerocoolie
17/10/2005, 2:22 PM
Agreed, everyone has their own opinion on Saipan-gate and it's possibly the best aggro-drunk conversation topic even to this day. :D

Bustup or no bustup, he's the greatest Irish player I have seen in my lifetime (sorry Ooh-Aah) and deserves a thanks even from his harshest critics.

His sheer will to win must be his greatest talent, and he can also knock a ball around the park pretty well too :)

StuttgartVet
17/10/2005, 2:45 PM
Very sad to see Roy retire - the best player I have seen in an Irish jersey (going back to the 70's) - Shame that his legacy will always be tainted by Saipan

Re his position in the hierarchy of greatest ever Irish players, only Brady would be up there with him in my opinion. Mc Grath was a great player but not at the same level and as for Kevin Moran - great servant of Irish football but are ye pulling the proverbial???

tonycuna
17/10/2005, 6:36 PM
One of our greatest players ever.
Thanks guy, thanks for all your displays with the green shirt.
:ball: :( :( :( :ball: