PDA

View Full Version : Euro Draw - Friday 27th

Pages : [1] 2

davey
14/10/2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/EURO/news/Kind=1/newsId=352326.html

I fancy our best chance of qualification would come from a group like this

1) Greece - everyone will want them as their top seed

2) Poland - Seen a bit of them, not that great, certainly beatable. Perhaps Romania otherwise

3) Norway - after seeing the way Sctland beat them, I'd fancy our chances

4) Ourselves

5)Wales. Think we'd beat them and a bit of local interest. Quite fancy a trip to the Millenium Stadium too

6)Moldova - don't want the wee six and all baggage associated with it. Very bored with Cyprus now. Certainly don't fancy Skopje again although maybe third time lucky:)

7) San Marino - nuff said.

Who do you want????

pineapple stu
14/10/2005, 12:26 PM
Good draw - Greece, Poland, Bulgaria, Ireland, Iceland, Cyprus, San Marino
Bad draw - Holland, Spain, Serbian & Montenegro, Ireland, Wales, Georgia, Faroes
Interesting draw for travel - Sweden, Croatia, Bulgaria (just because I missed going out there when UCD played in the InterToto!), Ireland, Wales/Estonia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, San Marino (one of the groups will have two bottom-seed teams).

Cowboy
14/10/2005, 12:42 PM
From a good night out point of view Denmark and Iceland

Only2keanos
14/10/2005, 12:58 PM
England, Italy, Denmark, Iceland, Cyprus and Malta. We only ever qualify from tough groups so bring it on. When does the draw take place anyway?

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 1:02 PM
England, Italy, Denmark, Iceland, Cyprus and Malta. We only ever qualify from tough groups so bring it on. When does the draw take place anyway?

January I think

deadman
14/10/2005, 1:04 PM
From a good night out point of view Denmark and Iceland

yea, always wanted an excuse to go to iceland...

the draw takes place in january, the 9th rings a bell

Metrostars
14/10/2005, 1:06 PM
The draw is on January 26.

Here are the seedings:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/EURO/news/Kind=1/newsId=352326.html

At least we wont get Switzerland again this time :p

gspain
14/10/2005, 1:22 PM
Greece (obvious)
Romania (go there on business anyway )
Bulgaria (old enough to want revenge for 77 & 87)
Estonia
NI (just to see some GAA neanderthals do cartwheels when they see the Union Jack and GSTQ at Croker for NI which has to be far far worse for them than seeing it for England which they keep saying is their worst nightmare)
and finally
we will definitely get Kazakhstan but anybody else as it will cost a bloody fortune.

paul_oshea
14/10/2005, 1:35 PM
NI (just to see some GAA neanderthals do cartwheels when they see the Union Jack and GSTQ at Croker for NI which has to be far far worse for them than seeing it for England which they keep saying is their worst nightmare)

eh, i wouldnt particularly like to see either to be honest. i hope you are just taking the michael here.

NeilMcD
14/10/2005, 1:39 PM
Greece
Poland
Norway/Slovakia/Bulgaria
Ireland
Hungary
Northern Ireland
Luxembourg

This would have a few nice trips as Athens, Warsaw, Budapest, Bratislava and Luxembourg would be all be good trips.

dublinred
14/10/2005, 1:53 PM
Netherlands , Spain, Slovakia, Wales, Malta and Cyprus

The away trips would be awsome , not too bothereed abouyt qualifying Switzerland is a boring , exepnsive place.

as_i_say
14/10/2005, 2:15 PM
How the hell are Greece considered a top seed?:rolleyes:

Krstic
14/10/2005, 2:20 PM
How the hell are Greece considered a top seed?:rolleyes:

'Cause they're the holders maybe:confused:

ranting rover
14/10/2005, 2:44 PM
I'd imagine that none of the teams in the top 3 seeds would want us as a fourth seed...

Roo69
14/10/2005, 2:56 PM
Pot 1 - England or Sweden
Pot 2 - Poland or Greece
Pot 3 - Bulgaria or Slovakia
Pot 4 - Ireland
Pot 5 - Iceland or Finland
Pot 6 - Cyprus or Northern Ireland
Pot 7 - San Marino

Taking travel etc... into form i would be happish with this sort of group.

tetsujin1979
14/10/2005, 2:56 PM
my ideal group would be Sweden, Croatia, Bulgaria, Republic of Ireland, Finland, Cyprus, Faroe Islands

NeilMcD
14/10/2005, 2:58 PM
Pot 1 - England or Sweden
Pot 2 - Poland or Greece
Pot 3 - Bulgaria or Slovakia
Pot 4 - Ireland
Pot 5 - Iceland or Finland
Pot 6 - Cyprus or Northern Ireland
Pot 7 - San Marino

Taking travel etc... into form i would be happish with this sort of group.

Greece are 1st seeds though.

sligoman
14/10/2005, 3:00 PM
Easiest possible draw:
Greece,
Romania,
Slovakia,
Ireland,
Albania,
Moldova,
Luxembourg.

Interesting Draw:
England,
Germany,
Russia,
Ireland,
Wales,
Northern Ireland,
Liechtenstein.

as_i_say
14/10/2005, 3:05 PM
They may be the holders but they havent qualified for the world cup so I see no reason for them to be a top seed.

eirebhoy
14/10/2005, 3:12 PM
Easiest possible draw:
Greece,
Romania,
Slovakia,
Ireland,
Albania,
Moldova,
Luxembourg.

I'd have Lithuania instead of Albania but other than that it seems the easiest.

Roo69
14/10/2005, 3:13 PM
Greece are 1st seeds though.

The indo has them as 2nd seeds along with Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Poland, Spain and Romania. It says the 1st seeds are Holland, England, Portugal, Czech Republic, France, Sweden and Germany.

thejollyrodger
14/10/2005, 3:16 PM
were going to need a big squad lads with all those games. i think we will get a mixed pot with 1 or 2 real tricky assignments

davey
14/10/2005, 3:17 PM
The indo has them as 2nd seeds along with Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Poland, Spain and Romania. It says the 1st seeds are Holland, England, Portugal, Czech Republic, France, Sweden and Germany.

I think I'll believe the official UEFA website - Greece are definitely top seeds

Stuttgart88
14/10/2005, 3:20 PM
What chance of an away win against any of those first 3 seeded teams? Fair play to Scotland, beating Norway and Slovenia away, and beating them well too. We haven't done anything like that in ages.

homersimpson
14/10/2005, 3:39 PM
bull**** that ireland are 4th seeded considering we were 1st seeded going into the 2004 campaign

homersimpson
14/10/2005, 3:44 PM
worst group scenario
Portugal
Italy
Ukraine
Us
Wales
Macedonia
Lichtenstein

Stuttgart88
14/10/2005, 3:47 PM
Has eirebhoy still got the co-efficient spreadsheet?

Let's just assume we had 3, 4 or 6 extra points instead of the zero we got from the opening two games in Euro 2004 qualification. We'd have a final co-efficient of between .166 and .33 higher over the 18 games in the calculation period. 16 of those have been under Kerr.

Would we still be a 4th seed or would we have sneaked into Pot 3? I suspect it'll be hard to blame McCarthy for much of the decline. Even if we had 6 points I revckon we'd may well have been a 4th seed.

Edit: I just checked - as far as I worked out 2 draws under Mick would have meant we'd have been a third seed. So I'm wrong - Kerr being responsible for dropping to a third seed is the fairest conclusion.

Schumi
14/10/2005, 3:51 PM
Think it was said before that if we'd won on Wednesday, we'd be third seeds so the extra points from Russia/Switzerland would have had the same effect presumably.

eirebhoy
14/10/2005, 3:58 PM
Has eirebhoy still got the co-efficient spreadsheet?
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=367551&postcount=7

mountie
14/10/2005, 4:25 PM
I would go for one from each of the following;
Pot 1 Greece/Sweden/France
Pot 2 Turkey/Poland/Romania
Pot 3 Russia/Norway/Bulgaria
Pot 4
Pot 5 Albania/Finland/Iceland
Pot 6 Moldova/Armenia/Cyprus
Pot 7 San Marino/Andorra/Malta
My reason for selecting 3 from each group is to point out that being 4th seed is not as bad as we are lead to believe, especially as 2 will qualify. I would feel confident/expectant of qualifying from any combination of the above.

Gerrit
14/10/2005, 4:31 PM
For travelling purposes I'd love Kazachstan or Armenia if I were you. Maybe I could do one of those with Norway...

I'd like to see Norway being teamed up with Belgium only in the occasion Norway wins.

HarpoJoyce
15/10/2005, 10:56 AM
France, cos I seen them play twice recently and they're muck.

The North, easy travelling.

Kazakhstan, cos what's the point of them being in the competition if your team can't play them.

Alternatively I wouldn't mind a double away trip June 2007, to the same region in Europe. Caucasus or Balkans preferred.

Closed Account 2
15/10/2005, 11:04 AM
Greece
Poland
Norway/Slovakia/Bulgaria
Ireland
Hungary
Northern Ireland
Luxembourg

This would have a few nice trips as Athens, Warsaw, Budapest, Bratislava and Luxembourg would be all be good trips.

I agree with that, I'd say we would have a good chance of 2nd at least with that group

shakermaker1982
19/10/2005, 11:41 AM
From the BBC site, couldn't see this on the site so thought I'd put it up for all to see.

England are among the top tier of seven seeds for Euro 2008 qualifying.
They have been put in a group including defending champions and top seed Greece as well as Netherlands, Portugal, Czech Republic, France and Sweden.

Italy and Germany are in the second group along with Croatia, Turkey, Poland, Spain and Romania.

Scotland have been placed in the fourth tier of teams, Wales in the fifth and Northern Ireland in the sixth for the draw on the 27 January 2007.

The seedings for each country have been based on qualifying for Euro 2004 and next summer's World Cup in Germany.

If Greece were not the holders they would only just have made it into the second tier with Germany making the top seven.

Hosts Switzerland and Austria qualify automatically for the 16-team tournament.

The remaining 50 teams will be split into six groups of seven and one of eight with the winners and runners-up qualifying for the tournament.

Theoretically, England could be drawn with either Italy or Germany and be in the same group as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pools by seed for Euro 2008 draw:
Pool 1: Greece, Netherlands, Portugal, England, Czech Republic, France & Sweden
Pool 2: Germany, Croatia, Italy, Turkey, Poland, Spain & Romania
Pool 3: Serbia-Montenegro, Russia, Denmark, Norway, Bulgaria, Ukraine & Slovakia
Pool 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, Latvia, Israel, Scotland & Slovenia
Pool 5: Hungary, Finland, Estonia, Wales, Lithuania, Albania & Iceland
Pool 6: Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus, Armenia, Northern Ireland, Cyprus & Moldova
Pool 7: Liechtenstein, Azerbaijan, Andorra, Malta, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg & San-Marino

Hither green
19/10/2005, 12:12 PM
I'll have Greece, Poland and Norway thanks. At least we can't get knocked out by Switzerland.

OwlsFan
19/10/2005, 12:18 PM
So long as it's not Holland, Italy, Serbia, Ireland, Finland, Macedonia, Azerbijan.

pineapple stu
19/10/2005, 12:30 PM
There's a thread (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=30348) on this already.

shakermaker1982
19/10/2005, 12:38 PM
with a bit of luck we can have a good campaign, would love to get England though.

mchurl
19/10/2005, 1:01 PM
Ireland's group will be

Greece
Romania
Norway
Ireland
Estonia
Cyprus
Malta

And then we are sailng through on top of the group!111111:cool:

Risteard
19/10/2005, 5:56 PM
Top two automatically qualify?

Don Vito
19/10/2005, 6:01 PM
Top two automatically qualify?

Yeah, the groups have been made bigger and there are no more playoffs! Does anyone know if this is gonna be the setup for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers as well?

Saint Tom
19/10/2005, 6:55 PM
if we get the north, no one will get tickets for a game in belfats... windsor 20000? ROI 2000.. thats assuming they allow us to travel up there. Totally different scenario to the big britain- little britain love in for wc2006

Junior
20/10/2005, 9:16 AM
From a good night out point of view Denmark and Iceland but not from a cheap and cheerful;)

ps bohs
21/10/2005, 12:28 AM
1. Holland easy to get to and we do well against them
2.Germany catch them cold after the W.C
3.Bulgaria nice trip and beatable
5.Wales
6.Ayia Napa Please
7.Luxemborg easy to get to and ****e

gustavo
21/10/2005, 12:32 AM
Greece
Romania
Norway
us
Lithuania
Armenia
San Marino

colster
17/01/2006, 11:12 AM
The draw i s on Friday 27th of this month.
Just wondering who people would like.

I think probably the toughest/most exciting one could be
England
Italy,
Serbia
Rep. of Ireland.
Wales.
N. Ireland,
Malta.

UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying round draw
Pot 1

Greece
Netherlands
Portugal
England
Czech Republic
France
Sweden

Pot 2

Germany
Croatia
Italy
Turkey
Poland
Spain
Romania

Pot 3

Serbia and Montenegro
Russia
Denmark
Norway
Bulgaria
Ukraine
Slovakia

Pot 4

Bosnia-Herzegovina
Republic of Ireland
Belgium
Latvia
Israel
Scotland
Slovenia

Pot 5

Hungary
Finland
Estonia
Wales
Lithuania
Albania
Iceland

Pot 6

Georgia
F.Y.R. Macedonia
Belarus
Armenia
Northern Ireland
Cyprus
Moldova

Pot 7

Liechtenstein
Azerbaijan
Andorra
Malta
Faroe Islands
Kazakhstan
Luxembourg
San Marino

Stuttgart88
17/01/2006, 11:19 AM
Can you refresh the POTS, seedings again pls?

colster
17/01/2006, 11:21 AM
Can you refresh the POTS, seedings again pls?

Done. see above

Tenderloins
17/01/2006, 11:23 AM
Greece
Poland
Bulgaria
Rep of Ireland
Albania
Cyprus
Luxembourg

Probably the best we could hope for

colster