View Full Version : Play-Offs

Stuttgart88
14/10/2005, 10:12 AM
Czech vs Norway
Turkey vs Switz
Spain vs Slovakia

mchurl
14/10/2005, 10:17 AM
swiss get the easiest they could of got stilll except czezh's , spain and turkey to go through do

Stuttgart88
14/10/2005, 10:22 AM
BBC has same pairings but the other way around, i.e., the seeds away from home in first leg. That's how I'd have expected it.

It was the same for Euro 2000 when it allegedly wasn't seeded but the 4 teams that would have been seeded all got drawn away first!

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 10:28 AM
thought that is who we would have got had we made the play-offs- Turkey, :rolleyes:

Kingdom
14/10/2005, 10:36 AM
Not to worry , at least we can start the squad rebuilding process now without the added worry of trying to negotiate a play-off.
I don't think we would have expected to take any of those teams (seeded) over two legs.

Risteard
14/10/2005, 10:38 AM
Mergey McMergerson there Mr. Moderator

sligoman
14/10/2005, 2:52 PM
Easiest possible draw for the Swiss:( . Come on Turkey!:)

Dublin12
14/10/2005, 3:24 PM
Come on the Swiss!

FarBeag
14/10/2005, 3:29 PM
I really do not think we would have a hope against any of those teams apart from Norway or unless it was a friendly at home.

eirebhoy
14/10/2005, 3:54 PM
I really do not think we would have a hope against any of those teams apart from Norway or unless it was a friendly at home.
The draw was seeded so we knew on Friday that we would have faced Spain/Turkey/Czech.

Dodge
14/10/2005, 4:06 PM
We'd have beaten the Swiss on away goals...

FarBeag
14/10/2005, 4:07 PM
So in real terms we are probally better off not going through.I think on current form anyone would have to be totally deluded if they thought Ireland would get anything from the other three.Suppose it make me feel a little bit better about the result on Wednesday.

FarBeag
14/10/2005, 4:11 PM
Quote..We would have beaten the Swiss on away goals

Good, well that cheers me up a bit

Gerrit
14/10/2005, 4:33 PM
Norway got a difficult draw, but we have nothing to lose and we often perform better vs good teams than vs minnows. So why not...

The Spanish coach seems to be not happy at all with Slovakia, he says they're a tough side and wanted to avoid them. Would be great if Spain would be kicked out by a small country before the WC even begins...

And although none of both are of particular interest to me, I prefer Switzerland over Turkey.

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 5:39 PM
agree with Gerrit, would prefer Slovakia to get through, are underdogs and I have never liked Spain :mad: big diving babies (still bitter from that game in 2002 :o )

Czech
Turkey
Slovakia

Thank you! :D

Feech
14/10/2005, 5:43 PM
BBC has same pairings but the other way around, i.e., the seeds away from home in first leg. That's how I'd have expected it.

It was the same for Euro 2000 when it allegedly wasn't seeded but the 4 teams that would have been seeded all got drawn away first!

There was a separate draw to see who plays first.

thejollyrodger
15/10/2005, 8:55 AM
Ive a turkish jersey at home here, ill be wearing it and praying turkey beat switzerland over the two legs

Gerrit
16/10/2005, 2:11 AM
For me:

Norway (obviously)
Switzerland
Slovenia

As long as Norway qualifies however, I won't care too much about the other two.

Gerrit
16/10/2005, 2:13 AM
Ive a turkish jersey at home here, ill be wearing it and praying turkey beat switzerland over the two legs

If you'd ever go to visit Belgium or Netherlands, don't wear that shirt. There are tenthousands of Turks in the countries and let's say people are getting quite racist about them and about Muslims in general (hence the victory of the racist party in the last Flemish elections and the victory of racist PPF in the Netherlands a few years ago :( )

Gerrit
16/10/2005, 2:15 AM
The draw was seeded so we knew on Friday that we would have faced Spain/Turkey/Czech.

Disgusting. The big teams aren't protected enough as it is according to UEFA ??

They already have seeded teams when drawing the groups, why do they have to corrupt the play-off draw as well? I mean, these teams all ended 2nd in their group, why not just put them all in the same jar? Is UEFA that afraid to see a minnow proceed instead of mighty Spain? The whole system disgusts me :mad:

Fergie's Son
16/10/2005, 5:53 AM
If you'd ever go to visit Belgium or Netherlands, don't wear that shirt. There are tenthousands of Turks in the countries and let's say people are getting quite racist about them and about Muslims in general (hence the victory of the racist party in the last Flemish elections and the victory of racist PPF in the Netherlands a few years ago :( )

Maybe they are just tired of the sheer numbers entering their country? Be careful calling people racists. The EU is still a democracy and that should include having the right to say that enough is enough.

eirebhoy
16/10/2005, 12:08 PM
Disgusting. The big teams aren't protected enough as it is according to UEFA ??

They already have seeded teams when drawing the groups, why do they have to corrupt the play-off draw as well? I mean, these teams all ended 2nd in their group, why not just put them all in the same jar? Is UEFA that afraid to see a minnow proceed instead of mighty Spain? The whole system disgusts me :mad:
All FIFA care about is the money. Even their appointing of certain referee's for certain matches is biased.