PDA

View Full Version : Women know more about football than men

Gerrit
13/10/2005, 2:46 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - If you don't understand soccer's offside rule, don't ask a man -- find a woman.

Women are top of the table when it comes to knowledge about the beautiful game, relegating their menfolk to second spot, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Research found that 59 percent of women could correctly identify the offside law -- one of the game's hardest to comprehend -- as opposed to just 55 percent of men.

Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".

"I've never understood the big fuss surrounding whether girls know what they're talking about when it comes to football because it was my mum who taught me the offside rule when I was a kid," said Sky Sports presenter Helen Chamberlain.

However when it came to team strip, the men were way ahead. More than 80 percent of men could correctly identify the kits of the 20 Premiership teams compared to just 33 percent of women, the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found.

:eek: We (= men) are losing even our beloved game to the women... If emancipation also takes over football, the men's restrooms will be the only place left where we're in charge :eek:

finlma
13/10/2005, 2:52 PM
LONDON (Reuters) the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found.

The clientele of a Walkabout pub probably isn't a fair reflection of the population. Most the men in there are Aussies, Kiwis or Safas and they are being chased by English women. Hence the results

Drumcondra Red
13/10/2005, 7:41 PM
Yeah, don't be stupid Gerrit, why would you be syupid??? Feeding the ego's of KT, Babysis and all them, good god man, luckily you've moved to Belfast, otherwise I'd have to ask you to leave the country!!! :D

crc
13/10/2005, 7:45 PM
... luckily you've moved to Belfast, otherwise I'd have to ask you to leave the country!!! :D dodgy...!:(

Anto McC
13/10/2005, 8:00 PM
No they dont,all lies and lies make the baby Jesus cry

Gerrit
13/10/2005, 8:22 PM
I must admit though that a girlfriend who is also passionate about football would suit me quite well. First together to the stadium, together to the supporters' pub for an after-the-game drink, and then at home a nice shag :o
I like that scenario, and what's nicer than a girl in a tight football shirt ? :cool:

Poor Student
13/10/2005, 8:26 PM
I must admit though that a girlfriend who is also passionate about football would suit me quite well. First together to the stadium, together to the supporters' pub for an after-the-game drink, and then at home a nice shag :o
I like that scenario, and what's nicer than a girl in a tight football shirt ? :cool:

It's double the misery if you support seperate teams. You've got a team you don't support who you need to win or the weekend mood can be spoiled even if your team wins.

Anto McC
13/10/2005, 8:28 PM
and what's nicer than a girl in a tight football shirt ? :cool:

Eh,a girl with no clothes on :rolleyes:

Green Tribe
13/10/2005, 8:28 PM
dodgy...!:(

I'll give him a good hiding! :D

crc
13/10/2005, 8:33 PM
I'll give him a good hiding! :D:D Could you do it in a tight football shirt?;)

or even better, without!?:eek:

Green Tribe
13/10/2005, 9:00 PM
:D Could you do it in a tight football shirt?;)

or even better, without!?:eek:

Stop scaring him now!!! :D

Macy
14/10/2005, 7:52 AM
Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman".
What a fookin stupid thing to "prove" the fact. All that proves is that most of the women they asked are part time, johnny come lately, football is cool since the 90's, bandwaggon jumpers. Ditto the 40% of men they asked.

Real football fans still call them linesmen - only 12 year olds and jcl call them assistant referee's.

anto1208
14/10/2005, 8:10 AM
i was sitting with 2 guys that were goign on and on about women not knowing the offside rule , then a trow in was trown to a player in an offside position , they were screaming at the tv he's offside !!!! and had never heard the fact you can t be offside from a trow in ! so id belive it , most men now adays dont have a clue about the rules ..

there are too many men now that dont have a clue about defensive lines , midfielders bringing players in to play by holding up the ball etc ..too many think ronaldino doing some fancy stuff is what footballs all about !

Peadar
14/10/2005, 8:41 AM
there are too many men now that dont have a clue about defensive lines , midfielders bringing players in to play by holding up the ball etc

If you only watch football on TV you will almost never see the play off the ball. It's part of why so many people dislike the eL.
They see their first ever live game and think, 'this is nothing like the Man Yoo game I saw on TV last weekend.' The then conclude that the league is crap. When they shell out €500 to see a game at OT there's not a hope in hell that they'll come home and say it was crap, even though they'll have seen some seriously boring passages of play, which the TV masks with action replay.

TheJamaicanP.M.
14/10/2005, 8:50 AM

Nice thought Gerrit, but from my experience of meeting wans, it is my opinion that the overwhelming majority of female football lovers are just tomboys/lager louts. In a similar way to most wans who play football, they lack that feminimity that would make them attractive. Besides, as one of my idols Jamie Redknapp once said, you don't want to be coming home and having to talk football to a woman who think she knows about football. That's his motto and look how he ended up with a classy wan like Louise.
If you want my opinion Gerrit, direct your attention towards a wan who knows nothing about the game. She'll probably be a classier wan.
As for wans in football jersies, some of them can pull it off, particularly northern wans in their county GAA jersey.

Macy
14/10/2005, 9:02 AM
i was sitting with 2 guys that were goign on and on about women not knowing the offside rule , then a trow in was trown to a player in an offside position , they were screaming at the tv he's offside !!!! and had never heard the fact you can t be offside from a trow in ! so id belive it , most men now adays dont have a clue about the rules ..
Or knobs calling for off side from goal kicks....

Aldini98
14/10/2005, 9:19 AM
Nearly all women that follow football follow Man U, that shows they've only been watching it since circa 1992, hence the Assistant Refereee knowledge. Q.E.D. :)

dcfcsteve
14/10/2005, 9:36 AM
....and what's nicer than a girl in a tight football shirt ? :cool:

Two girls in tight football shirts ?

Preferably sisters. Ideally twins......

noby
14/10/2005, 10:25 AM
"most men now adays dont have a clue about the rules .."

A bit of a generalisation there Anto, but I know what you mean.

J.P.M. kudos on breaking the record for the most wans in a post

I may not be able to recite the off-side law without saying 'uhm', but I've enough pre-'92 useless football trivia tucked away in my head to talk all night.
There-in lies the difference: Women know the rules; Men are sad.

EnDai
14/10/2005, 10:42 AM
Two girls in tight football shirts ?

Preferably sisters. Ideally twins......
Experimental twins!

Drumcondra Red
14/10/2005, 3:36 PM
Ok, sorry lads, but you know The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are internationally recognised as 2 different countries, thats what I meant! Ok?

Oh and KT, a hiding??? Maybe I'm into that kinda stuff... :D

Peadar
14/10/2005, 3:48 PM
Maybe I'm into that kinda stuff... :D

You're into anything you can get. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. :D

Dodge
14/10/2005, 3:56 PM
If you only watch football on TV you will almost never see the play off the ball. It's part of why so many people dislike the eL.
They see their first ever live game and think, 'this is nothing like the Man Yoo game I saw on TV last weekend.' The then conclude that the league is crap. When they shell out €500 to see a game at OT there's not a hope in hell that they'll come home and say it was crap, even though they'll have seen some seriously boring passages of play, which the TV masks with action replay.
A Man U "supporting" mate of mine went to Old Trafford a couple of years ago and was hugely disappointed. he still thinks our league is crap but at leat no he thinks the premiership is the same...

Oh and Gerrit, trust me, its way better to have a girlfriend who's into girlie **** than into football. Let her tolerate football at nest, and maybe get into the world cup/cup final buzz but any more is asking for trouble

Drumcondra Red
14/10/2005, 4:14 PM
You're into anything you can get. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. :D

Tats not exactly true Peadar, I turned you down remember??? :D

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 4:50 PM
Oh and KT, a hiding??? Maybe I'm into that kinda stuff... :D

You Dubs, it wouldn't surprise me! :rolleyes: :D

Gerrit
14/10/2005, 4:56 PM
A Man U "supporting" mate of mine went to Old Trafford a couple of years ago and was hugely disappointed. he still thinks our league is crap but at leat no he thinks the premiership is the same...

Oh and Gerrit, trust me, its way better to have a girlfriend who's into girlie **** than into football. Let her tolerate football at nest, and maybe get into the world cup/cup final buzz but any more is asking for trouble

Why? I mean, wouldn't it be nice to take your loved one to an away game: together on the bus holding hands (okay, I sound mellow now :D ), together feeling the passion of the game, together experiencing the sadness or joy that comes with the result, ...

And I get what you mean with the tomboy thing, but a minority of the girls visiting football games are class. Though not sure if a b0ner at a game would not distract :eek:

Supporting two different teams is not such a problem, you can make a nice bet when playing her favourite team: winner choses the position that night :p

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 5:15 PM
Gerrit, you're hilarious! :D

Gerrit
14/10/2005, 8:21 PM
Well, my girl will hopefully think so as well and agree with that bet. I have a position in mind if I'd win the bet... Let's just say she will not go for a seat the next game :)

Poor Student
14/10/2005, 9:22 PM
Well, my girl will hopefully think so as well and agree with that bet. I have a position in mind if I'd win the bet... Let's just say she will not go for a seat the next game :)

Is it just me or have you mentioned that "position" a surprising amount of times on a football board.:eek:

Green Tribe
14/10/2005, 9:24 PM
Is it just me or have you mentioned that "position" a surprising amount of times on a football board.:eek:

I know, :eek: , settle down Gerrit! :D

Dodge
14/10/2005, 11:44 PM
Why? I mean, wouldn't it be nice to take your loved one to an away game: together on the bus holding hands (okay, I sound mellow now :D ), together feeling the passion of the game, together experiencing the sadness or joy that comes with the result,
Trust me the last thing my household needs is another depressed Pas fan...

Maz
15/10/2005, 6:45 AM
Nice thought Gerrit, but from my experience of meeting wans, it is my opinion that the overwhelming majority of female football lovers are just tomboys/lager louts.

God JP.M that's a very stereotypical statement you made there, I would think the tomboy/lager lout label would suit only a minority.

Gerrit
16/10/2005, 2:53 AM

Where the heart (and head) is full of... :eek: :D

I was looking for a pic of a nice girl in a football jersey to proof the tomboy thing wrong, and Google found a collection of nudity pics on the forum of irankicks.com :eek: Isn't that stuff highly forbidden in Islamic country Iran?