PDA

View Full Version : The Player Clear Out/Introduction Thread

Saint Tom
13/10/2005, 2:39 PM
Right,

it is blatantly obvious that after last night we need a wholesale clearout and the introduction of new blood

Firstly Current Players To work with:

(i)Given new captain
(ii) Finnan
(iii) Dunne (future captain)
(iv) O'shea
(v)A Reid
(vi)S Reid
(vii) Duff
(viii)Elliott
(ix) Morrison
(x) Keane (assuming he gets the finger out)
(xi) Harte

Clearout:
Kilbane; cunningham; Kavanagh; Holland; Carr; Doherty

New Blood:
Flood; Kevin Doyle; Stephen Ireland

any additions or suggestion?

pineapple stu
13/10/2005, 2:43 PM
You can't just clear out an international squad the same way you can clear out a club side. The only reason someone should be left out of a squad is if there's someone better to come in.

Cunningham has already retired; apparently a couple more may follow (Breen, Holland and Kilbane being mentioned on Aertel). I assume Roy Keane has retired for good now as well.

Who's going to make the step up from the U-21s? Not many, from what I've seen. Maybe they just look mediocre because they're got a poor manager. Glenn Whelan, Joey O'Brien, Stephen Ireland, Willo Flood, Darren Potter, Wayne Henderson and Stephen Kelly are getting first-team football at varying degrees now; O'Brien in the UEFA Cup with Bolton, Potter in the CL with Liverpool. Unforunately, we need a left-back, a creative midfielder and a forward more than anything. I don't think any of those players fits the bill. So most of the current squad will be around for the 2008 European Championships.

Dublin12
13/10/2005, 2:44 PM
Alan Quinn -Sheffield Utd
Darren Potter - Liverpool
Joey O'Brien-Bolton

drinkfeckarse
13/10/2005, 2:52 PM
I think Kavanagh has something to offer us still. Why he didn't play last night instead of O'Shea baffles me.

concanta
13/10/2005, 2:54 PM
alan quinn should be on the team never mind squad
as for the rest lets wait and see I still think mcgeady will make it

Adrianovic
13/10/2005, 3:00 PM
I would bring in Alan Quinn, Aiden McGeady and Stephen Kelly with serious thought of putting them in and around the starting XI.

Then I would look to Flood, Doyle and a few other youngsters to take the place of the older retiring players in the squad.

After the retirement rounds have been done then I'd consider which older players to phase out.

Ade

drummerboy
13/10/2005, 3:01 PM
McCarthy of Leicester could develop well

elroy
13/10/2005, 3:07 PM
Im not sure how good McGeady is going to be, think he may be over rated. Hopefully one or two players will come through between now and the euros.
Prob looking at something like this
Given
Harte Dunne O'Brien Finnan
Reid S Reid ????? Duff
Keane Morrison

Subs:
Kenny
O'Shea
Potter
Elliott
Connolly

To be honest, I think bar central midfield we have a pretty decent team but at the moment I cant see any decent options there

Fergie's Son
13/10/2005, 3:10 PM
I wouldn't be dropping Carr just yet and I do hope Holland stays around for a little longer. We still need some "old heads" just to walk the newer players through the process.

Damn, I'm still depressed.

pete
13/10/2005, 3:10 PM
Get rid of Connolly once & for good now too. He is as good as ever will be & that isn't good enough.

finlma
13/10/2005, 3:11 PM
Jon Douglas at Leeds to come in.

drummerboy
13/10/2005, 3:14 PM
While we are dispensing with the old wood, lets get rid of Don Givens for once and for all. He's been an absolute disaster, not only with his results, but of his man management skills too. Job should be offered to someone like Kenny of Derry.

pete
13/10/2005, 3:15 PM
Kerr would be great for U21s but if he was to leave clearly wouldn't embarish himself dropping to that level.

Dodge
13/10/2005, 3:34 PM
Kerr would be great for U21s but if he was to leave clearly wouldn't embarish himself dropping to that level.
They could tart it up, calling him Director of Football or somesuch b0ll@cks. Any the rumour is UEFA want him as a technical director so he mightn't want to work with the poxes in the FAI

tetsujin1979
13/10/2005, 3:54 PM
I think the players listed here lay the problems we are going to face in the future out for all to see, while they may be good players individually, do you think anyone of them would get into the teams ahead of us in the rankings? And if we are looking to Championship players (which the majority of them are) to lead us to the next European Championships, we're going to have problems for some time to come

youngirish
13/10/2005, 5:13 PM
By the time we have another competitive match I'd hope thata few new faces would have started to make an impact at club level and could be included in the squad. Players such as Ireland, Joey O'Brien and Owen Garvan (though he is a bit young). Flood posssibly also if he starts getting regular games for City when he gets backs from Coventry.

I'd clear out Keane and Cunningham now as they are too old. John O'Shea should really get the boot also because he's proven himself to be absolute s**te on numerous occassions. When he plays it's like Ireland have only 10 men out on the pitch. In fairness I see him fading into obscurity at both club and country soon. Connolly and Doherty should also go for similar reasons to O'Shea. I'd keep Kilbane though as he's not as bad as any of those three and he did alright comparitively speaking last night.

fergalr
13/10/2005, 6:51 PM
Drop until they get their finger out: O'Shea, Robbie, Carr
Drop forever because of the sheer national embarressment of it all: the Doc

The Stars
13/10/2005, 7:03 PM
The whole defence should get the chop bar Dunne,only one with any ability and sense of pride.Finnan to go right back,Morrison to get the chop,Doyle in for him.

pineapple stu
13/10/2005, 7:42 PM
The whole defence should get the chop bar Dunne,only one with any ability and sense of pride.
Bit harsh - I actually thought Ian Harte had one of his best games in a long while last night.