PDA

View Full Version : So where do we go from here?

Plastic Paddy
12/10/2005, 8:58 PM
My second epic question of the last five minutes. Views? :confused:

:ball: PP

Closed Account 2
12/10/2005, 9:00 PM
Time to merge with the IFA ???

Waits for the hail of abuse that's sure to follow.

dancinpants
12/10/2005, 9:04 PM

You mightn't be far wrong in fairness...time for a whole new approach. The Irish set-up has just gone pure stale, there's absolutely no imagination there whatsoever.

hoopy
12/10/2005, 9:04 PM
The only bright spark on the evening is the thought that we'll never see the Corkman in an Ireland jersey again

Jon'o
12/10/2005, 9:05 PM

i fail to see any benifit, unless you can tell me something im missing?

FarBeag
12/10/2005, 9:06 PM
Steven Ireland is a Cork man isnt he.

Éanna
12/10/2005, 9:07 PM
The only bright spark on the evening is the thought that we'll never see the Corkman in an Ireland jersey again
i take it you mean the guy from manchester?

sligoman
12/10/2005, 9:07 PM
i fail to see any benifit, unless you can tell me something im missing?I agree, I cant see any good that would do:confused:

thejollyrodger
12/10/2005, 9:09 PM
firstly i dont really blame kerr as much as the media will. WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH WORLD CLASS PLAYERS.

Time to rebuild. Time to properly invest in youth. Time to finance the technical development plan. Time for EL clubs to break into Europe and for Irish players to make it. Time to stop taking the easy way out and blaming the manager. Time for John o Shea to learn how to play football.

Closed Account 2
12/10/2005, 9:09 PM
Just think we need a major, major change to whole system - not only the national team but the domestic leagues too... anyway it wont happen.

dancinpants
12/10/2005, 9:11 PM
At least we won't be getting embarassed on the greatest stage of them all.

robbie_B
12/10/2005, 9:13 PM
Good question. The FAI are a joke, although I don't agree with Keane walking out when he did he certainly had some very good points. The appointment of Kerr and all the talk of contract and whispers from within the FAI havn't helped put much stability into our national team.

I think Kerr has to go. I didn't know all that much of him before he took the job other than he had a decent record with the underage teams. I was expecting some attractive, quality football but from the games I have seen and the reports in the press and from the people on this board he really hasn't delivered. I think Martin O'Neill would be great.

Some of the players need to take a good look at themselves and their level of performances. Keane is obviously gone now and Cunnigham, Breen and maybe a few others might be considering international retirement. The last 8 results fromn the U21s doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the future but hopefully a few can break through.

World cup sure won't be as interesting without us.

Dan K
12/10/2005, 9:15 PM
firstly i dont really blame kerr as much as the media will. WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH WORLD CLASS PLAYERS.

How many do the Swiss have? Or Israel? Or Poland? Serbia? Slovakia? Norway?

All have done better than us, all would love a Duff, Given, Robbie or Roy in their side.

djdaz
12/10/2005, 9:16 PM

Yeah it's a positive that out ONLY proven world class player (even now when he's not as good as he was) might never play for us again. :mad:

Éanna
12/10/2005, 9:19 PM
How many do the Swiss have? Or Israel? Or Poland? Serbia? Slovakia? Norway?

All have done better than us, all would love a Duff, Given, Robbie or Roy in their side.
Would they? Really? How do you know? Look at the facts here: Duff is a world class player, no doubt, but he doesn't perform for Ireland. Given is, IMO, as good a keeper as anyone in the world right now bar Dida and Buffon. Robbie was once a young guy with loads of potential, who scored goals, now he's ............. well I dunno, but he can't even get in the Spurs team. Roy, once the best midfielder in Europe, now just living on his reputation. The Swiss may not have one player in the same class as Duff or Given, they have plenty as good as any of the others you mention, and here's the key difference- they have better squad players. Once you take away the top few players in the Ireland squad, you're left with very very average players, most of whem wouldn't get into other international squads. Thats the difference.

dynamo kerry
12/10/2005, 9:21 PM
I don't particularly want o'neill. I didn't particularly like the brand of football he played at leicster or celtic.

I'd press for roy (look at klinsmann - he can do it) or possibly say yes it's time for aldo or o'leary

at least the football would be decent.

tricky_colour
12/10/2005, 9:21 PM
At least we won't be getting embarassed on the greatest stage of them all.

True we couldn't contrive to beat an egg at the moment and not
many of the players deserve a holiday in Germany.

Dan K
12/10/2005, 9:24 PM
Would they? Really? How do you know? Look at the facts here: Duff is a world class player, no doubt, but he doesn't perform for Ireland. Given is, IMO, as good a keeper as anyone in the world right now bar Dida and Buffon. Robbie was once a young guy with loads of potential, who scored goals, now he's ............. well I dunno, but he can't even get in the Spurs team. Roy, once the best midfielder in Europe, now just living on his reputation. The Swiss may not have one player in the same class as Duff or Given, they have plenty as good as any of the others you mention, and here's the key difference- they have better squad players. Once you take away the top few players in the Ireland squad, you're left with very very average players, most of whem wouldn't get into other international squads. Thats the difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but squad players are - by definition - NOT world class, ergo, you've actually backed up what I was saying in a strange way.

It's not about the number of World class players you've got, it's about the team, which the manager is responsible for. If they consistently don't perform, the buck stops there.

brine3
12/10/2005, 9:33 PM
I would add that we desperately need more of our players to move out of England and to the continent. There is literally a whole continent of football teams out there and they have a lot to teach us.

Yeah, Robbie Keane could do with some tactical awareness.

Should have stayed in Italy.

Soper
12/10/2005, 9:37 PM
As I said elsewhere, what about Rico for Ireland?

robbie_B
12/10/2005, 9:38 PM
I don't particularly want o'neill. I didn't particularly like the brand of football he played at leicster or celtic.

I'd press for roy (look at klinsmann - he can do it) or possibly say yes it's time for aldo or o'leary

at least the football would be decent.

I'd imagine Aldridge would be interested if Kerr were is go. We won't get a top, top manager becuase the FAI would never be able to pay the money needed to get a quality manager.

dfx-
12/10/2005, 9:39 PM
I feel that empty that Kerr's sacking would only be a hollow victory for me.

Anyone who says the quality of our players is the problem is misguided, imo. We have all seen these players that Éanna insists are very very average play far better than what they have shown since March. Dunne, Cunningham, Finnan, Andy Reid, Robbie Keane, Roy Keane only on his reputation is better than an awful lot, Kilbane - why would he get in 37 successive competitive matches if he was crap - and this includes when we are supposed to have had a better team? :confused:

It boils down to how these players are conditioned to play. The most creative players in the world can be made redundant and useless under bad stewardship. Kerr had 5 games to fix the cancer that was Ireland going out....and he did nothing.

Ireland did not go out because of the abject performance tonight or Saturday or France as an individual bad game. The last five games have been staid, duller-than-ditchwater tripe.

And Kerr has perservered with serving the tripe. Drastic change is not required. Just simple changes, use our players effectively. Andy Reid did not beat one player on his wing tonight, out of position always on his left foot, there may as well not have been a midfield when we were attacking....simple things...get someone to get the ball from the defence and create through the wing. We have the wingers to do this. It doesn't require mad plans about restructuring football.:rolleyes: A simple plan on a board and then on the training pitch with an eye to score goals...

Very simple, but I think only when/if it happens under new stewardship, then the penny will drop about what a criminal, criminal waste this has been.

rodoman
12/10/2005, 9:40 PM
Kerr's a nice guy, a good youth manager, but that's all. At least McCArthy, and Charlton would lift the press out of it when they thought they were being hard done, Brian wouldn't. He's too timid to control millionaires, he gets paid less then them, never played in England, but in fairness to him didn't have a lot to work with.
Kavanagh, a rreplacement for Roy Keane !!
Morrison first choice for Ireland, that says a multitude
Cunningham, Doherty, Harte, the list goes on and on.
And to be honest the future isn't looking too bright for us.
I don't know of anyone other than Elliott making a regular place for himself with a Prem club.
Anyway, maybe it's just me but I've said it already.
International football is more of a hinderance these days to the soccer corporations cross channel the last thing they want is their assets, and that's what they are getting busted up for their country, and the players seem to be heading the same way. worried about their win bonuses, apperance bonuses, etc, etc. Even the players themselves are retiring before they do. Zidane, Makelele, Scholes, Shearer, thinking of the shillings they face to lose.
The only fella who looked preofessional is Shay Given, and love him or loathe him Roy Keane, millionaires or not, they still have the enthusuasm to give it there all when they are out on the pitch for Ireland.
The quick fix cross channel is to buy a player rather than bring him through, and because there's so much money at stake, e.g, Cahmpions league, Prem league, etc they are not prepared to take the chance of blooding youths.
What's the trend these days in the Premiership ??
Get yourself a Korean, Chinese, or a.n other asian player to sell a few more shirts, and line the pockets of the shareholders.
Thank about it

rodoman
12/10/2005, 9:44 PM
Andy Reid did not beat one player on his wing tonight, out of position always on his left foot,

This has always drove me up the wall, a player in the Premiership who can only kick with one leg !!!

CollegeTillIDie
12/10/2005, 9:59 PM
Merging with the IFA is an excellent idea. As long as the OB's from Donegall Place run the operation :D that would kick John Delaney politically speaking in the goolies once and for all.

There are hardly any world class players available to the Republic in the forseeable future or to the North for that matter .It is time to bury the hatchet with Belfast have one international team and at least David Healy is currently scoring at international level unlike Robbie Keane who has taken a sabbatical.

For one thing it would improve Northern Ireland's international ranking and instead of the island of Ireland being represented by two below average international sides we would have one. Oh and Lawrie Sanchez can run it.
And at least we'd beat England regularly :D

Jon'o
12/10/2005, 10:02 PM
Merging with the IFA

whats the opinion of our wee cousins on this?

Green Tribe
12/10/2005, 10:14 PM
whats the opinion of our wee cousins on this?

nice idea, but in reality, it would never work, the 'power walkers' would have something to burn/say about it. :rolleyes:

Éanna
12/10/2005, 10:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but squad players are - by definition - NOT world class, ergo, you've actually backed up what I was saying in a strange way.

It's not about the number of World class players you've got, it's about the team, which the manager is responsible for. If they consistently don't perform, the buck stops there.
Yeah, I didn't exactly make my point very well. The point I was making is that your average Swiss player is better than your average irish player. They may not have the big names, but overall they have a lot more quality than Ireland. The better team went through. Simple as that

Anyone who says the quality of our players is the problem is misguided, imo. We have all seen these players that Éanna insists are very very average play far better than what they have shown since March. Dunne, Cunningham, Finnan, Andy Reid, Robbie Keane, Roy Keane only on his reputation is better than an awful lot, Kilbane - why would he get in 37 successive competitive matches if he was crap - and this includes when we are supposed to have had a better team? :confused: My point is that these guys have played above themselves on many occasions- it was never going to last forever. As for Kilbane, I'm a fan of the guy, but the reason he's started 37 successive competitive matches is that there are no better players- simple as that!

And Kerr has perservered with serving the tripe. Drastic change is not required. Just simple changes, use our players effectively. Andy Reid did not beat one player on his wing tonight, out of position always on his left foot, there may as well not have been a midfield when we were attacking....simple things...get someone to get the ball from the defence and create through the wing. We have the wingers to do this. It doesn't require mad plans about restructuring football.:rolleyes: A simple plan on a board and then on the training pitch with an eye to score goals...
I agree with much of that. But getting the ball out to the wingers? Why bother- neither of the two up front for ireland tonight looked remotely threatening in the air.

dfx-
12/10/2005, 10:30 PM
The two upfront are no use in the air from balls from 60 yards played blindly by Given, Reid, Harte, Dunne....

Give the wingers the freedom to get in behind and deliver crosses from the touchline with speed rather than height and all they need is glancing touces, they need not be Alan Shearer - Morrison is decent enough in the air when played like that - how he scored in Basel...?:)

davey
12/10/2005, 10:42 PM

Nice to see you contibute on an Irish National team thread:rolleyes:

Merging with the IFA, what a joke - (sorry Eanna, I know its not your idea)

Lets face it, as a national team we aree now entering what I believe is offically called the doldrums. Kerr, as much as I like as I like him, has to go. He ahs proved that he is unable to get the best out of what is a reasonably talented group of players.There is no doubt in my eyes that Mick Mc would have got us at least to the play-offs. This is the first time we haven't reached the play-offs, at least, since they were introduced. I, for one, expect medicority for the next few years. Duffs new role at Chelsea, RMKs age and the absence of a great new CB do not leave me confident for the next few years:mad:

Marked Man
12/10/2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah it's a positive that out ONLY proven world class player (even now when he's not as good as he was) might never play for us again. :mad:

But surely Shay Given will be playing for us for a while yet?