PDA

View Full Version : A thread of near-insane optimism

Tipp Townie
11/10/2005, 11:44 AM
Inspired by Peadar's never say die thread, and appalled at the bickering and squabbling on here at the mo', i thought we could all do with a pick-me-up.

Absolutely NOTHING negative on this thread please:)

My prediction for tomorrow night:

Morrison, Elliott and Keano all on the scoresheet in a sublime 3-0 win. Andy Reid proclaimed the new Maradona by, err, Maradona, watching in awe on tv at home in Buenos Aries...

Meanwhile, in Paris, a late, late Constantinou 30-yarder knocks out the French, handing us top spot...

Elsewhere, a scientifically impossible set of results knocks out England......

:cool: :p :cool: :p

Reddladd
11/10/2005, 11:52 AM
Paddy Power match betting would give you reason for optimism.

Ireland are odds on at 10-11, Switzerland 3-1 with the draw at 11-5

As the Guinness ad says 'BELIEVE'

Peadar
11/10/2005, 11:52 AM
Inspired by Peadar's never say die thread...

You could have just added to my thread. The Mods get cross over littering.

thejollyrodger
11/10/2005, 11:54 AM
We can win if we BELIVE and TRY our hardest. It will take 90 minutes of battling and scraping but we can do it

eirebhoy
11/10/2005, 11:54 AM
Ireland to win 2-0 and Cyprus to hold France goalless while Hakan Yakin is forced to sit in the dark for failing to pay his electricity bill.

as_i_say
11/10/2005, 11:58 AM
well bookies normally get it right dont they. cmon eire. lets get mark kinsella to sit on the bench and hurl water bottles

macdermesser
11/10/2005, 12:00 PM
Paddy Power match betting would give you reason for optimism.

Ireland are odds on at 10-11, Switzerland 3-1 with the draw at 11-5

As the Guinness ad says 'BELIEVE'

not that i would ever back against my own team, but those odds look very good on the draw and on the Swiss win.

Nevertheless, going for

2-1 Ireland .. Robbie Keane to score the winner and shut up the critics and and unlikely result in France with Kerr keeping his job.

Don Vito
11/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Was talkin to the Jamaican PM last night and said to him we should get a thread of positives going. Everyone should write something positive here, mine are:

We play better when our arse is to the wall

We're due some luck against the Swiss (everyone for that matter)

Tired&Emotional
11/10/2005, 12:23 PM
Ireland to win 1-0 for me....a moment of magic from Andy Reid a la goal vs Cyprus in L Rd.

COME ON IRELAND!!

Tipp Townie
11/10/2005, 12:28 PM
You could have just added to my thread. The Mods get cross over littering.

Sorry P, i was trying to big you up there.. Wasnt sure you'd want your thread hijacked:)

Ireland to win 2-0 and Cyprus to hold France goalless while Hakan Yakin is forced to sit in the dark for failing to pay his electricity bill.

Ha ha ha, i just laughed out loud and now everyone in the office is looking at me:o

Dotsy
11/10/2005, 12:32 PM
Ireland win 1-0 with JOS getting the winner after receiving a 30 yard crossfield ball from Kilbane, taking it under control with one touch, coming inside beating 3 men and hitting a piledriver into the top right hand corner of the net. Given to accidentely kick Doherty (on a a second last minute sub to waste some time) in the shin while both jumping for a ball forcing Doc to be substituted in the last minute

Marked Man
11/10/2005, 1:14 PM
[QUOTE=Don Vito]Was talkin to the Jamaican PM last night and said to him we should get a thread of positives going. Everyone should write something positive here, [QUOTE]

The leaves will be changing colour soon; that's always nice.

thejollyrodger
11/10/2005, 1:20 PM
Dont the bookies just go where the money is going ? i.e all the irish supporters backing ireland.

Cowboy
11/10/2005, 1:22 PM
Frei to be sent off for diving

zerocoolie
11/10/2005, 1:22 PM
Shay to score from a defensive free kick inside his own box...

Why not..? He deserves it! :)

Junior
11/10/2005, 1:42 PM
A fifth minute opener from KK who follows this up with an awesome display of central midfield leadership - a general.

Dunne and Cunningham are rocks in the heart of defence not allowing the swiss attack to breach - Allowing Given some well earned time off.

The fans have a nervous 85 minutes as we hold on to the one goal lead (coiuld it be any other way?), but the whistle is blown and fans clad in Ireland, Celtic, GAA, Eircom League Jerseys (& a few in Green leotards for good measure) hug and embrace like long lost brothers - they wept, we have won 1-0.

But wait...... what of the result in gay Paris?, the game has entered its 93rd minute. The Cypriots feel hardly done by their defeat on Saturday but justice is alive and well with a last minute winner, 2-1 to Cyprus.

Ireland top the group, but who finishes 2nd?....who gives a fook!!! to Murrays we go, Im thirsty.....................

Volcán Masaya
11/10/2005, 1:51 PM
Shay makes a string of impossible saves and gets awarded a Noble prize in Physics.
Kerr sprinkle's some Knock holy water on Duff's knee causing a miraculous recovery and he comes on to score the winner 8 minutes into injury time. Vatican declares it a miracle and Duff's left knee becomes a Holy Shrine.
Kerr resigns from the job as Irish manager to devote his time to the development of underage hurling.
Think positive lads!!!!!!!

tricky_colour
11/10/2005, 2:43 PM
Dont the bookies just go where the money is going ? i.e all the irish supporters backing ireland.

No, I don't recall our odds against the French but I don't think we were
odds on, perhaps someone can dig them out as they are probably in an
old thread somewhere.

There will be just as much Swiss backing the Swiss and if there was a
disparity in the quoted odds and the generally percieved chances then more
'professional gamblers' would pile in and even them up.

Metrostars
11/10/2005, 2:44 PM
My prediction...

The Swiss will think they are coasting until 26 minutes into the game John O'Shea the unlikely hero will score off a header after a corner kick. Losing, the Swiss come attacking but the resolute Irish Defence will hold strong until half time. In the second half about 15 minutes in, Ireland score on one of their rare attacks, this time Clinton Morrison the scorer from short range. However, 5 minutes later Frei will get one back. The Swiss lay siege in the Irish half for the final 20 minutes but Ireland score on breakaway with 2 minutes to go, Elliot the substitute the scorer. Final: 3-1.

tricky_colour
11/10/2005, 2:45 PM
Roy Keane has a change of heart and reveals that his metatarsaal was
never broke and he will be playing after all :D

Well you did say insane optimism ;)

shakermaker1982
11/10/2005, 3:28 PM
COME ON IRELAND!!!!!

Keane shuts up the critics with a double to get us through.

Fergie's Son
11/10/2005, 3:30 PM
My favourite commentator ever, Bobby McMahon (he's on Fox Sports World in the US and Canada every Monday and Friday night and he's brilliant. Best I've ever seen) had us winning on Wednesday. He thinks Saturday will be a kick in the pants for us and that the Swiss are spoofers who are going to be found out.

Come On The Boys In Green!!!!!

finlma
11/10/2005, 3:31 PM
Given scores a header from a corner in the 4th minute of injury time.

Bosnia draw with Serbia and Spain beat San Marino leaving us as top seeds for the playoff. We get drawn against Norway and beat them 2-0 away and 3-0 at home to qualify for the World Cup.

In the draw for the World Cup in December we get pitted against top seeds Mexico, and first timers Togo and Guatamala. We get through the group with ease. 2nd round is an easy 3-o victory over Japan. In the quaters we're up against hosts Germany and win with a last gasp Robbie Keane goal again. Brian Kerr looks on open mouthed. We then go onto meet suprise semi finalists Tunisia and hammer them 4-1.

Its England in the final which goes to penalties. We're 5-4 ahead and up steps Beckham to face Given. Shay plucks it out of the air to win the World Cup for Ireland.

Ireland are World Champions - job done.

tetsujin1979
11/10/2005, 3:38 PM
Jason McAteer returns from the international wilderness to score the winner against Brazil in the World Cup Final.
Oddly familiar, that....

Dublin12
11/10/2005, 3:45 PM
Given scores a header from a corner in the 4th minute of injury time.

Bosnia draw with Serbia and Spain beat San Marino leaving us as top seeds for the playoff. We get drawn against Norway and beat them 2-0 away and 3-0 at home to qualify for the World Cup.

In the draw for the World Cup in December we get pitted against top seeds Mexico, and first timers Togo and Guatamala. We get through the group with ease. 2nd round is an easy 3-o victory over Japan. In the quaters we're up against hosts Germany and win with a last gasp Robbie Keane goal again. Brian Kerr looks on open mouthed. We then go onto meet suprise semi finalists Tunisia and hammer them 4-1.

Its England in the final which goes to penalties. We're 5-4 ahead and up steps Beckham to face Given. Shay plucks it out of the air to win the World Cup for Ireland.

Ireland are World Champions - job done.

As a matter of interest who's in the 3rd/4th place play off:D

TheJamaicanP.M.
11/10/2005, 3:49 PM
As a matter of interest who's in the 3rd/4th place play off:D

Tunisia would be one of the teams.:D

concanta
11/10/2005, 3:50 PM
with all this over optimisitic stuff i will be so disappointed if we dont do it tomorrow. Just been on the bc website and they have a countdown to the world cup - 240 days....it will be unbearable if we are not there.....i know even if we win tomorrow i know its only the playoffs but being a liverpool fan I know truely believe in football miracles and yes get the win first and foremost tomorrow but you never know what can happen

gustavo
11/10/2005, 3:54 PM
we win 5 - 0 with a morrison hatrick given scores with a pen and doyle comes off the bench to score !

Dublin12
11/10/2005, 3:54 PM
Tunisia would be one of the teams.:D

:D yeah,just wondering who England are gonna beat:D

btw get voting on this site www.teamtalk.com

as to who's gonna qualify out of our group,they've got a poll going:D

Tipp Townie
11/10/2005, 4:04 PM
Hmm, thread's picking up a bit of pace now. Quality. Lets keep this thread going all the way to Germany..

I'm probably off line now till next week, so i'll just say

KEEP THE FAITH LADS, COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!!!!!!!

:cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

Metrostars
11/10/2005, 6:01 PM
My favourite commentator ever, Bobby McMahon (he's on Fox Sports World in the US and Canada every Monday and Friday night and he's brilliant. Best I've ever seen) had us winning on Wednesday. He thinks Saturday will be a kick in the pants for us and that the Swiss are spoofers who are going to be found out.

Come On The Boys In Green!!!!!

....and Bobby is usually right!

Bobby is also one of favorites, he knows his stuff and doesnt play favortism unlike those gits on Fox Football Friday also on FSC.

concanta
11/10/2005, 6:08 PM
yep he does seem to know what he is talking about
lets get this straight if we don't do it - then the swiss will get to the finals
or playoffs - they are spoofers and need to be taken down to earth - i hope to god its us that does it.........dunno where its come from or why or how - but i have a feeling we will win - it will be tense and ugly and i wouldnt be surprsied to see a few red cards......but f*ck it we MUST win at all costs - doesnt matter if its a dubious penalty or kilbane knocks it in off his kn*b it simply doesnt matter and tomorrow night the performance does NOT matter - if we play twice as bad as cyprus and still won then feck it - we are in the playoffs

Closed Account 2
11/10/2005, 8:25 PM
The game starts well as Keane and Andy Reid kick off, the first attack of the game sees Andy Reid brought down on the edge of the box by Zuberbuhler, who is sent off. Harte steps up and hits a gem of a free kick, 1-0. As the game goes on the Morrison - Robbie Keane partnership will finally click, we'll play as well as we did in Amsterdam 14 months ago, both players will score 2 goals each and at the end the Doc comes on and dribbles past half the Swiss team before nutmegging their (sub) keeper. FT 6-0, and the Swiss have melted away.

The Legend
11/10/2005, 8:57 PM
The Doc... who the night before was visited by elves and given a special pair of magic boots so he could play football....

TheJamaicanP.M.
11/10/2005, 10:26 PM
The Doc... who the night before was visited by elves and given a special pair of magic boots so he could play football....

...and handsome good looks so that he can pull whatever wan he wants!!:D

onenilgameover
12/10/2005, 12:47 AM
We score 32 unreplied goals thus entering the guinness book of records for most goals scored in an international match.

liam88
12/10/2005, 7:31 AM
Always said it..... I BELIEVE!
C'MON LADS!!!! :D
ERIN GO BRAGH

Plastic Paddy
12/10/2005, 7:42 AM

(sorry, couldn't think of anything positive to say about our chances tonight...)

:ball: PP