PDA

View Full Version : Fridaze or Sundaze

Pages : [1] 2

joe
01/05/2002, 8:44 AM
re-reading last night's article in the echo i noticed that it listed city's first three games of the season as being at home to Shels on July 7, away to Pats on July 12 and home to UCD on July 21.

if you look at a calendar you'll see that they have our home games down for Sunday, while the away game to pats is on friday, what's that about? are we moving to friday night or not? why haven't the club confirmed one way or another? if they want people to buy seaosn tickets they'd want to let us know when the games are on :mad:

patsh
01/05/2002, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by joe
are we moving to friday night or not? why haven't the club confirmed one way or another? if they want people to buy seaosn tickets they'd want to let us know when the games are on :mad:
Yeah. Surely it is not beyond CCFC to be able to publish in full their match list, with date, venue, kickoff time etc by now. Again, as the fixture list has been drawn up, a simple statement about times for home games can easily be made by Lennox. With 2 months to go to the start of the season, maybe they think it is too early to let people know, but a descision on Friday or Sunday games must have been made by now.
Anyway, I though the plan was that all games go ahead on Friday @ 7:30, so that eventually, people will associate that day and time with eL soccer?.....
So much for all the talk about a more professional approach..... :(

Pablo
01/05/2002, 9:58 AM
didnt Lennox say that was his plan? friday nights?

SÓC
01/05/2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by joe
re-reading last night's article in the echo i noticed that it listed city's first three games of the season as being at home to Shels on July 7, away to Pats on July 12 and home to UCD on July 21.

Lennox has said it will be Friday nights, also the fixtures released do say on the weekending 7th etc.

I'd say its a case of Echo-itis

pete
01/05/2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by oddboy

Anyway, I though the plan was that all games go ahead on Friday @ 7:30, so that eventually, people will associate that day and time with eL soccer?.....

I think Roy Dooney has been harping on about that one for ages now without much success. I think as a first step he tried to get all clubs to agree to a common ko time & was pushing for 7pm as media types had said it would make it a lot easier for them to make their deadlines & so give greater coverage to the eL.

Unless the clubs agree on a set day of the week no one can force them to change.

Troy.McClure
01/05/2002, 12:07 PM
No to Friday Night Football!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

dalo
01/05/2002, 2:37 PM
i 2 say NO to friday night football!~!!!@#@#$#%$%:mad:

James
01/05/2002, 2:44 PM
yes to friday night football
its the only way to go...
by playing on a friday night it doesnt come into competition with sat night which is a much bigger "going out" night in cork anyway..

just cause troy might have to make some effort to get down from the pale to see city play on a friday night is NOT a good enough reason..

dalo
01/05/2002, 3:22 PM
Originally posted by James

just cause troy might have to make some effort to get down from the pale to see city play on a friday night is NOT a good enough reason..

you haven't a clue james. i live in dublin and if I have to come down to cork on a friday the only available train is the 5.10 which gets in at 7.50. as they might say in boston - do the math.

a lot of exiles will be seriously buggered if the move goes to froday night

Gary
01/05/2002, 4:36 PM
What about an 8 o clock ko then. that way exiles and travelling support could make it, If they really hurried. Okay, they may miss the first 10 mins, but so what. When last did City score in the first few mins anyway?

James
01/05/2002, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by dalo

you haven't a clue james. i live in dublin and if I have to come down to cork on a friday the only available train is the 5.10 which gets in at 7.50. as they might say in boston - do the math.

ahem well what about all the cork people that used to travel from cork to dublin.. either by train or drive for friday games.. we would leave work early and hour or 2 or whatever.. and this would happen most fridays given the number of dublin sides in the division..

overall i think crowds would be better on a friday night (even given the fact that dalo might be missing )... personally i dont give a toss either way, but IMO for the betterment of the club, and to get a larger crowd Friday nights would prove more sucessful...

i mean how many exiles are we talking about that would travel to cork every saturday (were the games on then) cause from going to away matches in dublin there are only maybe 40/50 exiles upthere.. so out of that you'd only get a certain percentage willing to travel to cork irrespective of the time ..

so if by playing on a fri night instead of sat increases attendances by say more then the 40/50 exiles or even the percentage fo them that would travel.. surely even you Dalo (with you Pale maths) can work it out..

anyway if you want to be there badly enough you will find a way irrespective on when the matches are on..

dalo
02/05/2002, 9:17 AM
glad to know you really worry about the exiles up here. much appreciated :-(

as for geting off work a hour or two early every friday- who do you work for- the corpo?

to get time off all the time means eating into one's holiday time and/or losing money. alas I don't live at home with my mammy so one has to pay rent and cost of travel etc out of our salary.

moreover as for the numbers that travel down for city matches in the cross we might be larger than you think. I make it a point of purpose to travel as much as possible to as many city games.there is no way I can travel down for games if they are on a friday. that is the bottom line for many city supporters up here.

to simply say you don't give a toss says a lot more about you than you may think. shame on you james:confused:

James
02/05/2002, 9:35 AM
as for geting off work a hour or two early every friday- who do you work for- the corpo?
to simply say you don't give a toss says a lot more about you than you may think. shame on you james:confused:

ok firstly reread what i said dalo, i dont give a toss between friday or saturday nights.

no i do not work for the corpo
no i dont live at home, nor have i for a long time(not that any of your business anyway)

city should play on whatever night gets the biggest crowd, and its a simple as that....thats what the arguement should be..

and all i was stating originally was that i thought friday night was a better option..

patsh
02/05/2002, 10:02 AM
I think Sunday Morning @ 10:30 would be the job......;)

Dricky
02/05/2002, 10:18 AM
10.30 am on a Sunday sounds good, can catch mass at the cross at 12.00
good thinking oddboy

A face
02/05/2002, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with Dalo.

I think Saturdaze will attract a bigger crowd.
It is also easier for everyone to get ot the games, i know Saturday everyone is going out but if the game started at 7:30 .... you'd be in town at 9:30 skullin' the pints, it is is 8:00 kick off, it is 10:00 in the pub, that is two and a half hours in the pub.
Also you would have to ask how many people will go to a game on a Friday but not on a Saturday. i cant see us attracting anymore to a game because of the day (this is for home games) at present our games are on Sunday afternoon, a time which i thought everyone would get to.
Also games on a Saturday all over the country would be by far better as there is less traffic on the roads and easier to manover with trains and the like.

Troy.McClure
02/05/2002, 11:59 AM
The thing with Saturdays is that the Premiership on Network 2 is on then, and most people, or atleast the 'blow-in's' arent going to sacriface that for "some amatures hoofing the ball up & down a muddy field".

Sundays are just fine. If we play on Fri nights then we
a) Loose CCFC pale supporters
b) Loose away supporters
c) Get nacker drinkers gattin' before town (believe me)

Playing under lights is fine if there is another (bigger) match on the Sunday, but its novelty will ware off soon.

For me, Sunday = Soccerday & thats the way Id like it kept!

Colm
02/05/2002, 2:03 PM
It doesnt matter to me what day the games are played. Sundays have always suited me fine but I have no problem with friday nights either.
Many a time Ive spent hours stuck in traffic on the way to Dublin and having a mad rush to make it to Tolka, Dalymount etc., I wouldnt mind inflicting that on the Dublin teams fans and see how they like it.
That said, I do sympathise with the plight of any City fans that live in the Pale.

Pablo
02/05/2002, 2:06 PM
well the fact is City games have been confirmed for friday nights . like it or not.

dalo
02/05/2002, 4:17 PM
if it is friday i am afraid city will be losing a few fans in the future.:confused: maybe some cork city based fans wouldn't be so smug if they had to make the trek on a regular basis to cork from dublin

James
02/05/2002, 4:21 PM
if it is friday i am afraid city will be losing a few fans in the future.:confused: maybe some cork city based fans wouldn't be so smug if they had to make the trek on a regular basis to cork from dublin

see you said it yourself.. city losing a few fans...but probably gaining more then they lose, so on the whole its better for ccfc

and maybe i havent had to make the trek as you put it from dublin to cork , but i've made the trek from cork to dublin of a friday night if i had to

personnally i was a fan of the traditional sunday match myself, and it was only those crazy dublin clubs that tried to go all professional and get lights and play on firday nights, that forced city into a delayed change of state

lol .. if everyone else wasnt doing it city would never have thought of it ..:D

Pablo
02/05/2002, 4:38 PM
its not a case of smugness....Lennoxshas said matches will be played on friday. Maybe he'll change it for you if you ask him dalo? ;)

dalo
02/05/2002, 4:48 PM
god knows I ate enough potato pies there in my time.

ah I know there is very little that can be done about itbut it will be very dissapointing that one can't see their football in the cross ever again.

p.s what is the jobs situation like in Cork for software testers?:(

Pablo
02/05/2002, 4:58 PM
ha ha good man Dalo. changing your job to support City! i remember when i was in school i wouldnt get a job on the weekends cause i'd miss city matches! a dedicated bunch we are!

dalo
02/05/2002, 5:01 PM
deadly serious I am pablo. stuck up here for the last 4 years working for a infamous 3 lettered computer company with no payrise is enough to make a grown man cry.

now the prospect of no city matches. even the old doll who lives in cork understood that sundays were always about ccfc. besides when she comes along to the games it gives me the oppurtunity to talk to her and watch football

Pablo
02/05/2002, 5:03 PM
At least you dont have to watch shyte Swansea City as a substitute like i do!

James
02/05/2002, 5:08 PM
p.s what is the jobs situation like in Cork for software testers?:(

crap - keep your job man, you're lucky to have one

whats it like with the 3 letter company you work for, they hiring or looking for anyone at the moment?

patsh
03/05/2002, 7:21 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
well the fact is City games have been confirmed for friday nights . like it or not.
When was this Pablo?....:)

dalo
03/05/2002, 7:35 AM
Originally posted by James

crap - keep your job man, you're lucky to have one

whats it like with the 3 letter company you work for, they hiring or looking for anyone at the moment?

nah they lost a fair bit in their first quarter and have initiated a hiring freeze and a pay freeze while at the same time doubling our workload.

dublin should always be the last resort as it is next to impossible to get back home.

maybe the world cup and summer football could be my godsend after all:D

Dricky
03/05/2002, 10:11 AM
Dalo I know what your going through but it gets worse, You start by getting to all the matches home and away, then you move to Dublin where home matches are near impossible to get to so you settle for the away matches, then you move country and you only get to travel to european matches.

then Gunther comes along makes a mess of the team and City miss Europe, so there go my summer hol's.

at least you have some matches in Dublin and surrounding area.

Éanna
03/05/2002, 11:46 AM
maybe some cork city based fans wouldn't be so smug if they had to make the trek on a regular basis to cork from dublin
some of us do! Or from limerick as the case may be.

Troy.McClure
03/05/2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

some of us do! Or from limerick as the case may be.
And wouldnt you prefer them to be on Sundays in the Pale?

Éanna
04/05/2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure

And wouldnt you prefer them to be on Sundays in the Pale?
the dash is part of the fun in my book!

basketcase
04/05/2002, 10:57 PM
accordin to tonights echo,most of our matches are on firday nights,with the exception of derry which is fair enough. have to say that theres something appealin bout sound of friday night football but degree of sympathy for exiles!

Troy.McClure
06/05/2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by basketcase

have to say that theres something appealin bout sound of friday night football

I think that its over rated, especially in the colder parts of the year, you freeze your b0ll0cks off on freezing cold nights. Not nice at all.

Éanna
06/05/2002, 11:58 AM
you freeze your b0ll0cks off on freezing cold nights
Yeah, I much prefer freezing my b0ll0cks off on a freezing sunday afternoon instead ;)

Troy.McClure
06/05/2002, 3:10 PM
Well atleast on a Sunday there is the posibility of a nice warm day, especially at the start of the season.
Id be for the Friday nights if itwere clashing with a GAA match or another big event, but not really if it was "just for the sake of it". Anyway we must get enough extra fans to cover the lighting expences, which seems to have gone astray on some of ye.

patsh
07/05/2002, 8:31 AM
Well atleast on a Sunday there is the posibility of a nice warm day, especially at the start of the season.

Eh SUMMER SOCCER, Troy? I'd say the chances of freezing yer b0llix off are pretty slim....:cool:

Troy.McClure
07/05/2002, 11:37 AM
Well its IRISH SUMMER soccer (so there's no need for those shades your :) has on) and its not like the season is exclucively in the summer, it will be cold enough from September nights on wards. Anyway, wouldnt it be better to watch the match on a nice warm afternoon rather then in the night?

patsh
08/05/2002, 8:09 AM
Well its IRISH SUMMER soccer (so there's no need for those shades your :) has on) and its not like the season is exclucively in the summer, it will be cold enough from September nights on wards. Anyway, wouldnt it be better to watch the match on a nice warm afternoon rather then in the night?
Ah, Troy, I think your getting cranky in yoour old age...:p
or is the strain of supporting two clubs getting too much for you?..;)

Troy.McClure
08/05/2002, 9:54 AM
Originally posted by oddboy

Ah, Troy, I think your getting cranky in yoour old age...:p
or is the strain of supporting two clubs getting too much for you?..;)
Its the FCUKn' exams........... Oh man, I think Im going to crack up! We better sign Billy soon!

(BTW I support only one team, I follow the other (there's a difference, trust me!):p

SÓC
08/05/2002, 11:24 AM

(BTW I support only one team, I follow the other (there's a difference, trust me!):p

UCD are the lessor of any evils when it comes to Dublin. You could hardly go to watch the "Big 4" so UCD are the logical option.

I used go to UCD matches when exiled and when City were not in Dublin, nice little club, shame that they cant get more students to support them.

pete
08/05/2002, 11:34 AM
Home games on Fridays will mean as an exile I be probably lucky to catch 4 or 5 as opposed 10-12 home games next season.

Troy.McClure
09/05/2002, 5:20 PM
Well at least I can go to a few of them before college starts off again, after that though, it looks like it will be dificult though :(

A face
09/05/2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by pete
Home games on Fridays will mean as an exile I be probably lucky to catch 4 or 5 as opposed 10-12 home games next season.

Pete .... if home games were on a Saturday night instead of Friday night, would that be better for you, would you still see the 10-12 games a season. ???

pete
10/05/2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by A face
Pete .... if home games were on a Saturday night instead of Friday night, would that be better for you, would you still see the 10-12 games a season. ???

Yup. Saturdays the same as sunday to me not of course that i suggest moving just for me. I only saw at most 1 home game a month last season anyway - moving to friday just means i'd make sure was a big game before taking a half day on friday.

A face
10/05/2002, 11:38 AM
But moving for the sake of moving is stupid, If we were going ot moving away from Sunday afters, then Sat seems to out weight the friday for accessiblity, Sat is by far the best option to move our game to. :D

Ruairi
10/05/2002, 11:58 AM
No matter what day the games are on they're not going to suit someone. And as long as City get the job done on the park, who really gives a ship when they play

A face
10/05/2002, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
who really gives a ship when they play

Sheeze .... i dont even have a boat !! :D

@ndy
10/05/2002, 1:04 PM

a lot of exiles will be seriously buggered if the move goes to froday night

With all respect man, ye think they shud change the games for you? OK, so i bet u're not the only one...well if u're that bothered get fri afternoons off. I live in Cork, and i'll be up for Friday nite games at belfield if they happen...even thursday nights. Frida nites'll be great for city. Sure feckin 6 UCD fans have made more noise than the shed 2 seasons in a row at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon. Sumthin gotta be dun about dat boy:)

Andy