James O’Brien - Glasgow Celtic
Diarmuid O’Carroll - Glasgow Celtic
Darren O’Dea - Glasgow Celtic
Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic FC
Darren Stapleton - Reading
Anthony Stokes - Arsenal FC
Shane Supple - Ipswich Town

Manager - Seán McCaffrey

Just wondering here ..... if there are only three eircom League players in the current National Under 19 squad .... What way is the Under 15, Under 12 .... where do all those players hail from ??

Whatever about Under 21 (Givens :mad: ) and the Senior Squad (Kerr :( ) .... but the Under 19 squad (Seán McCaffrey :confused: ) .... surely there should be more domestic based players in this squad .... i mean how in gods name are we meant to develop players if the have to move to England at 15-16 to get a game ??

drummerboy
11/10/2005, 10:25 AM
All the best players are with cross-channel clubs, simple and I'm sure the three home-based players are hoping to join the rest acrosss the water.

Dodge
11/10/2005, 11:24 AM
Of course they are. Apart from JP Kelly who's quite happy ****ing his talent away drinking cans in Drimnagh...

A face
11/10/2005, 11:27 AM
All the best players are with cross-channel clubs, simple and I'm sure the three home-based players are hoping to join the rest acrosss the water.

Drummerboy ..... i am saying the home based players are not being given a chance to get better because of this exclusion .... As i said .... fair enough Senior and U21 are being excluded .... but we have to draw the line somewhere and i would have thought that that would have been the U19s

Man ... it aint that hard to understand .... as you said ..... simple !! :rolleyes:

Dodge
11/10/2005, 11:40 AM
Thnk players have to be picked on merit. Otherwise they'll never improve

A face
11/10/2005, 11:44 AM
Thnk players have to be picked on merit. Otherwise they'll never improve

I know that ... but in fairness .... do you all really think that only three eL players could get their game ..... if thats the case then we should just pack up and leave now ffs !!

drummerboy
11/10/2005, 11:54 AM
I don't think players should be given special treatment because they are playing in the EL. If they are good enough, fair enough. The manager picks the best players available for selection … end of story.

A face
11/10/2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think players should be given special treatment because they are playing in the EL. If they are good enough, fair enough. The manager picks the best players available for selection … end of story.

U19 squad should be a DEVELOPMENT squad .... i am not saying give special preference but it just strikes me as a bit top heavy with players that have moved to England .... It smacks of a special preference if you have moved from the eL ...... and that should not be the end of the story !!

A face
11/10/2005, 12:18 PM

Actually i want you to answer that ...... England based players being given perference over Irish based players ..... whats your opinion on that ??

drummerboy
11/10/2005, 12:39 PM
Well its usually the case that the better players are snapped up by the cross-channel clubs. Whether a player is based in England or Ireland is not the point. The point is that the better players should be selected. Players who have the best chance to develop into full internationals. I will always put the welfare of the Irish team ahead of the vested interest of clubs, Irish or English.

A face
11/10/2005, 12:55 PM
Well its usually the case that the better players are snapped up by the cross-channel clubs.

Usually

Whether a player is based in England or Ireland is not the point.

I am contesting that !!

The point is that the better players should be selected. Players who have the best chance to develop into full internationals.

Totally agreed with that .... but the emphasis should be on developing the youth, that is potential considered not which player is necessarily the best at that particular moment in time. At this level (basically they are kids with alot to learn) it is about improving and maximising a players performance, results are not paramount, they might be used as a metre stick alright but not the most important metric.

I will always put the welfare of the Irish team ahead of the vested interest of clubs, Irish or English.

I dunno .... you seem biased !!

Anyway .... no getting bogged down .... i am saying that just because a player is based in England .... does not automatically make him better. The impression i get is that you dont believe this. And i am saying the squad seems to be picked like that !!

Dodge
11/10/2005, 12:56 PM
I know that ... but in fairness .... do you all really think that only three eL players could get their game ..... if thats the case then we should just pack up and leave now ffs !!
In fairness, neither you, nor me have any idea of the relevent strength of irish 18 and 19 year olds. For this age and under prectice/trial games are held regularly so no doubt McCaffrey picks the players he thinks can do abetter job. Anyone who thinks any international manager who doesn’t pick the best players is delusional. (it may have been true in the past when Charlton/Setters would never dream of looking at the LOO). Kerr et al do on a very regular basis. They know about these players but deem them no good enough. And there's no point in tokenism

drummerboy
11/10/2005, 2:20 PM
I don't concur to the idea that just because he is in England he should be selected before Irish based players. I was just pointing out that the English clubs usually sign the best players. I'm sure that there are players based in England, who have not made the squad, ie Cathal Lordan (Ipswich), who won an FA Youth cup medal last season.

As regards your point about winning not being paramount, I don't really buy that. Its an excuse used by Don Givens all the time. I don't expect them to win Euro championships every year, but qualifying for finals should be their aim.

A face
11/10/2005, 2:27 PM
As regards your point about winning not being paramount, I don't really buy that. Its an excuse used by Don Givens all the time. I don't expect them to win Euro championships every year, but qualifying for finals should be their aim.

Agreed ... but it is not the only focus (winning) .... players can learn when they are not winnnig, something times more valuable lessons !!

They should be qualifing alright !!

junkie
16/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Owen Garvan, Shane Long and Shane Supple are all ruled out and replacing them are James Chambers, Stephen Henderson and Sean Kelly.

http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=316346&Title=Three+changes+to+Ireland+squad+for+U19+UEFA+ qualifiers&lid=Main+News&sub=Three+changes+to+Ireland+squad+for+U19+UEFA+qu alifiers&navlid=&sublid=

ccfcgirl
16/10/2005, 10:16 PM
REP of Ireland 2-1 N.Ireland .

A face
16/10/2005, 11:54 PM
REP of Ireland 2-1 N.Ireland .

Rep. were on top alright from most of the game ... a bit scrappy in places but some good stuff in others.

The progarmme, at €2.00 was a bit saucy .... nothing like City Edition for €2.50 .... i know that is asking a bit but would have thought it would be a bit better.

Italy beat Moldova two nil so they are ahead on goal difference now.

pete
17/10/2005, 11:42 AM
Garvan pulled out of the squad as he was "injured" but came off the bench for Ipswich yesterday against Reading....

:confused:

Dodge
17/10/2005, 12:19 PM
Who said he was injured, I heard unavailable. Standard practice for players in their clusb first team

Ruairi
17/10/2005, 2:58 PM
It was an enjoyable enough game, second half couldnt really live up to the first, norn iron keeper pulled off a top class save in the first half, cant remember who from though. one more win and we're qualified, pretty much