PDA

View Full Version : Longford V Bray

Roo69
10/10/2005, 8:54 AM
Match Report

A team with three former Bray players, and a fine home record, faces a team with two former Town players, and a patchy record - including a lead conceded earlier in the season to the hosts. How to predict that one?

An early away goal, a harsh penalty equaliser, a home dismissal, three sure-fire Longford scoring chances spurned and a Bray penalty shout waved away in injury time: what odds would the bookies give on that?

Never mind the money side of things, that's a mug's game. Count the points.

The visitors scored from the first incident of any note in the opening half, a trade-mark long clearance by Chris O'Connor bouncing once before Kieran "Tarzan" O'Brien nipped between Danny O'Connor and Sean Dillon to deliver an unstoppable left-footed volley past the unfortunate Shay Kelly.

Dillon and Sean Prunty both had shots wide before Kelly fell awkwardly over the former under pressure from Tarzan, and after a lengthy pause for attention had to be stretchered off with what was suspected to be a disc problem.

Paul Keegan flicked an Alan Kirby cross well wide, and Stephen Gough put a fine Davy Byrne pass behind in the next few minutes, before Stephen Fox forced a corner after Kelly's replacement, Stephen O'Brien, pushed a Paul Caffrey free aside, but Pip Keogh's effort curled across the goalmouth and out.

A questionable challege by Michael Roche on Keegan initiated the next significant Bray attack, Tarzan feeding Caffrey, but when the Longford goalkeeper blocked the midfielder's shot, Fox was too far away to take advantage.

A caution for Gough following his challenge on Keith Long seemed harsh, and was to lead to worse, but so too was the penalty awarded after Colm James cleared under John Martyn, who made the most of his fall.

Dave Mooney shot cleanly to the roof of O'Connor's net.

Early in the second half, Dean Fitzgerald shot over when a Davy Byrne free came off the wall and was returned into the box; later, Martyn's shot from a Kirby free just missed a free header by Keegan.

Mooney shot left of the posts when he was clear to receive a deflected attempt by Byrne.

O'Connor joined the fray outside his area, sending Bray fans' hearts fluttering with sliced clearances and a high header that might have landed anywhere, and was lucky again later when substitute Dessie Baker shot well over from nine metres following a long clearance.

It was mid-way during the second period that Gough clashed with Tresson, and a second harsh decision against him saw him leave the field.

Some of the line decisions from then on appeared to be based on a kind of even-handedness that spurns the rules of play

Colm Tresson got away with a close kick against Longford sub Shane Barrett that ricocheted into the arms of O'Connor.

When Pat Whelan blew to penalise Longford for a sandwich foul on Bray replacement Stuart Holt, he noticed Byrne and Keogh had been on the ground; once that was dealt with he appeared to penalise Bray 10 metres from the place where the incident occurred, depriving the free-kick of much of its advantage.

In the final minute of normal time, Kieran O'Brien was waved on after he got a knock in the chest in the area, and despite his having to go down again, Whelan was insistent that play continue.

In truth, however, a penalty would have been as harsh as the one earlier against the visitors, if not harsher.

Is that the way one would like to win matches?

Answers on a postcard to Pat Whelan, if you like ...

Mícheál Ó hUanacháin

Bray Wanderers: 1 Chris O'Connor; 2 Colm Tresson (c), 4 Michael Roche, 5 Paul O'Reilly, 3 Paul O'Reilly; 11 Colm James, 6 Kevin O'Brien, 7 Paul Caffrey, 8 Philip Keogh; 9 Kieran O'Brien, 10 Stephen Fox
Subs: 12 Wayne Byrne (for Kevin O'Brien 87), 14 Paul Murphy, 15 Stuart Holt (for O'Reilly 71), 16 Robbie Dunne (for James 58 inj), 17 Ciarán Ryan

Longford Town: 1 Shay Kelly; 2 Stephen Gough, 5 Danny O'Connor, 6 Sean Dillon, 3 Sean Prunty; 7 Alan Kirby, 4 John Martyn, 8 Dean Fitzgerald, 10 Davy Byrne; 18 Paul Keegan, 9 Dave Mooney
Subs: 11 Dessie Baker (for Mooney 76), 12 Shane Barrett (for Kirby 78), 13 Alan Cawley, 14 Andy Myler, 20 Stephen O'Brien (for Kelly 26 inj)
Referee: Pat Whelan

From Bray Wanderers.ie (http://www.braywanderers.ie/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=427)

BrayZil
10/10/2005, 9:04 AM
Good game, we should have won it. The penalty they got definitely wasn’t a penalty. Colm James cleared the ball out for a corner but his follow through caught the Longford player and the ref gave a peno. We could have had a penalty as well when Tarzan got a kick but I think a draw was a fair result overall. We played well considering the amount of injury’s we have. Strange decision to drop Franco?! I know he hasn’t been playing well but surely he could have put him on the bench?!

The more I see Paul Keegan the more I hate him. He makes my blood boil! Cheating Sc*m!

Grasshopper 99
10/10/2005, 11:57 AM
Should have had a peno in the last few minutes, tosser of a ref didnt give it.

superfrank
10/10/2005, 3:04 PM
Glad to get a point.

How did Wayne Byrne get on when he came on?

BrayZil
10/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Glad to get a point.

How did Wayne Byrne get on when he came on?

He only came on the last few minutes and didnt get a lot of the ball. I can only remember him winning a header in the box thats about it.

superfrank
10/10/2005, 3:33 PM
It's good to see him. Has Darren Lacey made his senior debut yet?? The way I see it, he's a natural goalscorer.

KR's Post
11/10/2005, 3:35 PM
What was the atmosphere like from a Bray prospective!!?? Couldn't make it as i was in cyprus but lord god i was happy enough when i saw the result... Especially with the injurys we had!!

superfrank
11/10/2005, 3:41 PM
Ah he's back!

BrayZil
11/10/2005, 3:44 PM
What was the atmosphere like from a Bray prospective!!?? Couldn't make it as i was in cyprus but lord god i was happy enough when i saw the result... Especially with the injurys we had!!

Wasnt the same without you Tarz! Atmosphere was ok. We did a bit of singing but were missing a good few of our regular singers on Sunday.

superfrank
11/10/2005, 3:48 PM
Wasnt the same without you Tarz! Atmosphere was ok. We did a bit of singing but were missing a good few of our regular singers on Sunday.
Yeah...eh....I'm poor. I can't help it.

Roo69
11/10/2005, 3:50 PM

and since did when did you change your name ? :p

BrayZil
11/10/2005, 3:54 PM

I know the feeling!

superfrank
11/10/2005, 3:55 PM
and since did when did you change your name ? :p
I was referring to Zayed9's ".....but were missing a good few of our regular singers on Sunday.", being one of the regular singers.;) :p

KR's Post
11/10/2005, 4:02 PM

I hate missing games... did many go up? Even the uncle scored without me there!! Wa so looking forward to seeing it on Eircom Weekly as i heard it was a beauty, but NO!!!! They failed to show it once again... P-ricks. If i could have i would have flown back after the game just to be there!!!!

superfrank
11/10/2005, 4:04 PM
I hate missing games... did many go up? Even the uncle scored without me there!! Wa so looking forward to seeing it on Eircom Weekly as i heard it was a beauty, but NO!!!! They failed to show it once again... P-ricks. If i could have i would have flown back after the game just to be there!!!!
Don't worry, he'll get more.;)

BrayZil
11/10/2005, 4:08 PM

Supporters Club bus was just about full and there was a few that drove up, maybe around 80-100 Bray fans altogether. Tarzans goal was a cracker! I stayed up and all last night to watch it again and was raging they didn’t show it.

KR's Post
11/10/2005, 4:18 PM
Ah damn, going by what i've heard... Probably his best goal in years!!! 100 up there, jesus thats quite good considering some of us were away. Good to hear there was an atmosphere, can't wait for waterford and drogs games now. Talikin to a waterford and a drogs fan outside 'The Luke Kelly Pub' in Ayia Napa and we was giving eachother a bit of stick!!!