PDA

View Full Version : Golden Era ?

derm
30/04/2002, 2:23 PM
From setanta.com

FEATURE: Bringing 'em back

There has never been a better time than now to fight back against the scourge of lower league English sides siphoning Irish youngsters away.

The lure of playing in England, even with Second and Third Division clubs has deprived the National League of a great wealth - of both finances and talent. However, the recent collapse of ITV Digital, despite its unfortunate consequences to Nationwide League clubs, is something that Irish clubs can capitalise upon.

An increased number of faxes have come flooding into the office of recently promoted Drogheda United, from players, agents and English clubs, looking to trim their wage bill, according to Drogs manager Harry McCue.

This is not a suggestion that the National League takes on the bargain basement offers of the lower English leagues, but an opportunity to successfully relocate Irish players who went abroad with broken promise of adulation and riches.

And if English and European players want to come over and offer their professional experiences with eircom League clubs, they are more than welcome.

"There have been more enquiries than usual since the ITV Digital collapse," said McCue. "I assume it will get stronger towards the end of the month when their contracts will be up. You could find a lot of players flooding Ireland before next season."

Liam Buckley has started his first week in the Shamrock Rovers hotseat and he is also hopeful that Irish clubs can reclaim lost talent.

"I can imagine with the collapse over in England, players will be offloaded," he mused. "If there are any Irish players in that situation, hopefully they might return to the National League."

And while eircom League commissioner Roy Dooney does not want to indulge in a spot of "grave-dancing," he is acutely aware of the possible benefits to domestic football in Ireland.

"It's difficult to know until the dust settles," he said. "If clubs are hammered financially, the prospect of taking on Irish boys is greatly reduced."

As National League clubs attempt to move into an era of increased professionalism, there will be some deal of trial and error. Bohemians, Shelbourne and St Patrick's Athletic have all made the transition, while Shamrock Rovers - once they get their new stadium up and running - are not too far behind.

If clubs like Drogheda manage to tempt over players who have been brought up in a professional environment, surely that will kick the club in the right direction. "For the first time in the club's history, there is a small full-time set- up," said McCue. "If Irish players do come back and English players do come over, it will certainly be beneficial.

"You have seen the influence of European players coming into England and they have improved the standard and the professionalism, with the likes of diets and training routines, so it might have the same effect here. You feel that English players might bring in a more professional attitude.

"I can see more Irish players coming back - players who have come through the YTS scheme or are first year trainees - but we could also see very established Irish lads coming back who would have three or four years experience in the English league."

However, McCue warns: "Whether we can cater for them or not is another thing. There is a little more money going around the league at the moment and clubs will eventually go full-time.

"It's all down to budget though, but bringing back kids who have been through a professional set-up can only be good for the game over here."

Similarly, Dooney is cautious about welcoming an influx of players from across the water. "There is a limited market over here, where there are around 1000-odd players registered in the league," he said.

Buckley thinks that, if done right, National League clubs can emerge winners from the current goings-on in England.

"Obviously from a National League point of view, full-time professionals coming over here can only play for three or four clubs at the moment," he said. "But there are a number of 18 or 19 year-olds, and the difference between them and those who win a contract is sometimes miniscule. You could find clubs getting some good catches out of this."

According to Dooney, the situation in England could be a blessing in disguise for young Irish prospects. "It's hard to tell a player who has 'stars in his eyes' syndrome that they will not be the next Roy Keane or Denis Irwin," he said. "But if the cut-backs lead to a cut in the number of dodgy offers made to Irish youngsters, then I'd welcome that."

Pablo
30/04/2002, 2:28 PM
Its a valid point and something i hadnt really thought of. Perhaps now is the time to lure some half decent young players rather than the has beens $h€l$ are after

MikeW
30/04/2002, 3:49 PM
I don't have much sympathy for the english clubs in this situation, the clubs that go out of business will be the ones that recklessly overpaid players and didn't stick to realistic budgets. Its going to come back to haunt them now. Realistically this situation was just waiting to happen, the TV bubble had to burst sooner or later. I heard recently that Germany had only 36 fully professional clubs, while the english have 92 league and several non-league professional clubs, and england has a considerably smaller population than Germany. If the EL can benefit from this self-inflicted trouble the english are in then all the better, we need to stem the tide of young players being poached for nothing and brought to england to have their once promising careers ruined (in most cases anyway).

pete
30/04/2002, 5:01 PM
As National League clubs attempt to move into an era of increased professionalism, there will be some deal of trial and error. Bohemians, Shelbourne and St Patrick's Athletic have all made the transition, while Shamrock Rovers - once they get their new stadium up and running - are not too far behind.

$hel$ & Pats are very professional are registering their players aren't they? :rolleyes:

AFAIK Bohs have more or less all fulltime pro players, shels pretty much just behind them, Pats predominantly part-time pro (unless you include young lads on FAS courses) while Rovers on ly got 1 or 2 fulltime pros.

joe
30/04/2002, 6:25 PM
speaking of Germany, Kirsch (sp?) is the latest media group to go belly up wuth debts of 6 billion euro. they have the tv rights for among other things, germand footie, the wolrd cup, and formula 1. Apparently clubs in germany are now facing the same situation as those in the nationwide in england (maybe eanna will have more info for us) and will be trimming squads etc. soon.

it's also been rumoured that the next world cup will only be available on a pay per view basis, but i dunno about that

SÓC
30/04/2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by joe

it's also been rumoured that the next world cup will only be available on a pay per view basis, but i dunno about that

AFAIK That cant happen because the Euro-Commision made a list of sporting events that cannot to be broadcast on pay-per-view or scrambld channels, i.e. they must be available free and the Euro Championships as well as the World Cup are on that list, so are the All-Ireland Finals :)

joe
01/05/2002, 8:31 AM
i don't think it's very likely that the wolrd cup will be pay-per-view, at least not for another few years, but how can the EU/EC make decisions about the world cup?

SÓC
01/05/2002, 10:19 AM
If they are staged in Europe they have to be on poormans tv. If they are outside Europe I dont think they can dictate.

Éanna
01/05/2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by derm
And while eircom League commissioner Roy Dooney does not want to indulge in a spot of "grave-dancing," he is acutely aware of the possible benefits to domestic football in Ireland.

Why not? Give them a taste of their own medicine!

Jim Murtha
01/05/2002, 7:22 PM
Because with our luck and Hyland and co in charge it's probably our grave they'll dance on.