PDA

View Full Version : Just back From Cyprus

Pages : [1] 2

zinedineontour
09/10/2005, 11:57 AM
Firstly , the support was amazing again ... three sides of the ground full or irish .. pity the team didnt turn up .. The only positives were shay as ever , elliott ( who i think should now replace keane which would give robbie the kick up the arse he needs ) and the result ... At the end of the day it matters **** all how we performed if we do the biz on wednesday ...

OwlsFan
09/10/2005, 3:09 PM
Firstly , the support was amazing again ... three sides of the ground full or irish .. pity the team didnt turn up .. The only positives were shay as ever , elliott ( who i think should now replace keane which would give robbie the kick up the arse he needs ) and the result ... At the end of the day it matters **** all how we performed if we do the biz on wednesday ...

Yes there seemed to be massive Irish support. Pity many didn't appear to bring their vocal cords with them.

mjpcc
09/10/2005, 4:33 PM
Yes there seemed to be massive Irish support. Pity many didn't appear to bring their vocal cords with them.

I could hear them clearly on Setanta they were amazing.

Out of 4 positive things about the game that was one.

1. We Won
2. Shay Given
3. Stephen Elliot
4. The Fans.

Based on the team performance: God help us Wednesday - This was the worst performace yet.
:mad:

rodoman
09/10/2005, 10:24 PM
i know 7 people who went over to the game who have never stepped foot inside of landsdown road let alone watched a game on the telly,

so i wasnt surprised about the lack of signing, i think a number of people used the game as an excuse for holiday

I was there, and it was amazing, as for the 7 you know who went fair play to them, at least they bothered, even if they did take it in as a holiday as well, and from what they witnessed over in Cyprus was definitley not an advertisment for them to go hunting for overpriced block book tickets from the FAI who seem to be in the papers for all the wrong reasons, Kerr's future in the balance ! AND who happen to have us cast as the FAI NFA (no fixed abode) to the rest of the soccer civilisation.
Even if we do reach the playoffs, and I believe we will, maybe more with my heart than my head. They got a deal with the GAA, and did they
a)forget
b) were not allowed
c) assumed we wouldn't be in a playoff situation.

And if we do/when reach the playoff, let's hope there's a lot more people who don't get to Landsdowne (home of Irish RUGBY) dig into their pockets again to cross the sea, by land or air to support their national team we're going to need it playing our home leg on foreign soil.

Again they were outstanding Saturday night, anyone who attended that game should have been placed on Suicide watch, it was that bad.

OwlsFan
10/10/2005, 11:30 AM
I could hear them clearly on Setanta they were amazing.

This is a quote from a friend of mine who was at the game:

Fans also poor. Huge crowd which gave the lads a lift at the start but
looked like a trappist monks outing for most of the rest of it. It's time
we stopped congratulating ourselves for being wonderful fans. Going to
another country and dressing up in green is not the same as supporting.
Majority don't realise that its not about them its about the team. When
the team is struggling they need a boost.

Apart from the odd chant which came across on the TV the fans seemed just sat on their behinds and watch not support.

Peadar
10/10/2005, 11:40 AM
Apart from the odd chant which came across on the TV the fans seemed just sat on their behinds and watch not support.

What a huge insult to all the fans who travelled and lost their voices while singing and chanting. We did our best but the players didn't return the compliment. It's hard to sing when you see the likes of John O'Shea performing their rabbit caught in car headlights routine.

We're the ones who spent a fortune going to/in Cyprus to support our team. The players are the ones paid a fortune to kick a ball about. I have no reason to question my performance last weekend.

On another note, Don Givens is an absolute disgrace and he should refund the thousands of Ireland fans who paid €14 to see his charges embaress themselves on Friday.

TheJamaicanP.M.
10/10/2005, 12:35 PM
I watched the game on tv and although I didn't enjoy the performance I just kept wishing I was at the game in Cyprus. The performance of the fans was excellent. They created a great atmosphere and continuously got behind the team. On the other hand, I've often attended home games in recent years where the atmosphere was muted.

OwlsFan
10/10/2005, 12:38 PM
What a huge insult to all the fans who travelled and lost their voices while singing and chanting. We did our best but the players didn't return the compliment. It's hard to sing when you see the likes of John O'Shea performing their rabbit caught in car headlights routine.

Well I can only quote as I did from someone who was there.

As for the players not returning the compliment, anyone see the Norn Iron fans for the game against Wales ? Even when 0-2 down they (90% of them at least) kept going. It was very impressive. As one who has been at numerous games away from home going back to 1975, I have noticed there is now a large proportion of "event junkies" going to away games who think their mere presence is enough and that the "crack" is the main thing and the game something to attend but not necessarily participate in.

The rendition of the anthem was excellent but like the game, it seemed to go downhill quickly after that. I have no doubt many came out hoarse but from what my friends who were at it tell me and what I heard on TV it was pretty muted considering the size of the Irish contingent.

For Wednesday we need a repeat of Holland 2001 and then some...

Peadar
10/10/2005, 12:47 PM
anyone see the Norn Iron fans for the game against Wales ?

How can you compare the NI fans with us, given that the level of expectation is worlds apart!? :confused:

When players give their all for the jersey, then they deserve support. When players show absoultely no pride, we can hardly be criticised for not singing non stop for 90 minutes.
It's very Irish for you to be having a go at those of us who actually made the effort to be at the game. :rolleyes:

jbyrne
10/10/2005, 12:59 PM
What a huge insult to all the fans who travelled and lost their voices while singing and chanting. We did our best but the players didn't return the compliment.

yes but according to the herald today we're just "green-soaked, tunnel-visioned, capering leprechaun-suited football tourists"

zinedineontour
10/10/2005, 1:17 PM
yes but according to the herald today we're just "green-soaked, tunnel-visioned, capering leprechaun-suited football tourists"

We all know about the herald and how bad it is though .. the fans started off well but wained as the side showed no pride in their performance. If we had got something from the team we would have responded though the booing from some at half time was a disgrace .. again in the second half the crowd started well but got nervous near the end ..

Peadar
10/10/2005, 1:32 PM

They've almost described me perfectly. What they should have called me is a, green-soaked, tunnel-visioned, capering leprechaun-suited football tourist who doesn't buy the herald. :D

Tired&Emotional
10/10/2005, 1:49 PM
As for the players not returning the compliment, anyone see the Norn Iron fans for the game against Wales ? Even when 0-2 down they (90% of them at least) kept going. It was very impressive. ..

Had to laugh to myself when:

a) Hartson was booed by the "home fans" every time he touched the ball and Jackie Fullerton comments that Hartson "should expect it.....as there are a lot of Rangers fans there...."

and then

b) the "home fans" start singing "Rule Britannia"....were they sing it to the away fans ie the Welsh, who are British of course or were they simply at a public gathering of "Traditional" pride?! Oh and there for the footie as well!

They did well to come back from 2 down, deserved a draw!

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 3:23 PM
And if we do/when reach the playoff, let's hope there's a lot more people who don't get to Landsdowne (home of Irish RUGBY) dig into their pockets again to cross the sea, by land or air to support their national team we're going to need it playing our home leg on foreign soil.

Yeah but the options so far are;

1) Celthick Park
2) Anfield
3) Cardiff

Another place was mentioned but they're all I can remember!!!

Also why wasn't Windsor Park considered, it is after all in Ireland, maybe not the Republic, but its still on the island, and was a formal request made to Croke Park or just media speculation???

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 3:25 PM
The Northern Ireland Fans have been fantastic recently, great noise generated by them in the last 3 or so matches that I've seen anyway!!

finlma
10/10/2005, 3:39 PM
I was delighted to see Non Iron get beaten - they have no identity as a country whatsoever. Singing 'Rule Britania' to the Welsh supporters and draping themselves in Union Jacks is pathetic. You'd never see that at a Welsh or Scottish game.

On another note I was disgusted to see so many Celtic shirts in the crowd in Cyprus. Celtic have nothing to do with the Irish national team - wear a bloody Ireland shirt and not a SellThick one.

Schumi
10/10/2005, 3:50 PM
Also why wasn't Windsor Park considered, it is after all in Ireland, maybe not the Republic, but its still on the island, and was a formal request made to Croke Park or just media speculation???
What's Windsor's capacity? About 15,000 or something? Sure nearly that many went to Cyprus, it wouldn't be near big enough.

Croke Park is non-starter, the 'opening up' motion was only for when Lansdowne is being redeveloped so it's no more available for the play-off than it was for any game prior to now.

mandrake
10/10/2005, 4:07 PM
norn iron played well, and deserved a draw, i think their performance got the crowd going, our boys didnt get play well and the crowd didnt keep up the tempo....i think the team and crowd complement each other, hard to cheer a team when nothing going on.
really wierd seeing supporters dressed in red/bue and white supporting a team playing in green...scumbags...thought norn iron played well but it is great to see the fans sick after loosing....woo-hoo

Junior
10/10/2005, 4:08 PM
On another note I was disgusted to see so many Celtic shirts in the crowd in Cyprus. Celtic have nothing to do with the Irish national team - wear a bloody Ireland shirt and not a SellThick one.

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 4:11 PM
What's Windsor's capacity? About 15,000 or something? Sure nearly that many went to Cyprus, it wouldn't be near big enough.

Croke Park is non-starter, the 'opening up' motion was only for when Lansdowne is being redeveloped so it's no more available for the play-off than it was for any game prior to now.

Its still on the same island though, makes more sense then going to play in a ground in Glasgow where a load of confused idiots will show up wondering whether to wear hoops or not! Nightmare!

And is it over 2 legs?? If so two away legs??? Not good!

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 4:12 PM
YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN

Why??? Its dead right and a valid point!

Docboy
10/10/2005, 4:14 PM
Are we not considering the idea of playing abroad because we would not be able to install the seats on the terraces in time for the game as a result of the rugby international. The capacity without seating would still beat Windsor park which would hardly be a safe venue for our fans!

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 4:20 PM
There are more then one Rugby match, so its putting seats in, taking them out remarking the pitch twice etc. etc. as for the Croke Park issue, was/ will a formal application be made???

Schumi
10/10/2005, 4:27 PM
as for the Croke Park issue, was/ will a formal application be made???I assume not as there's no point.

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 4:29 PM
I assume not as there's no point.

Well I think there is a point as some sort of agreement could be made, if they don't typical FAI!

Schumi
10/10/2005, 4:33 PM
some sort of agreement could be madeWhat sort of agreement? "We know it's against our rules but ah sure go on John, no one'll notice. *wink*"? It's impossible.

Drumcondra Red
10/10/2005, 5:07 PM
It is if they don't try!

Fergie's Son
10/10/2005, 5:13 PM

Damn straight. Wear an Ireland jersey to an Ireland match. Keep the Celtic one at home for your armchair.

Marked Man
10/10/2005, 5:35 PM
Since when is there a dress code for going to matches? Anything green will do, whether it's a Celtic, Ireland, or Meath jersey.

Cowboy
10/10/2005, 5:55 PM

were you also disgusted with the wearing of GAA jerseys? they have nothing to do with the Irish national team.

rodoman
10/10/2005, 6:13 PM
Going for the craic what or event junkies !!!!, mmmm, yeah, travelling 2 hours to the game from paphos, 90 minutes of agony, 2 hours back, and having to be up at 4AM the next morning to fly home.
The Evening Hearld, aren't the the crowd who have to give away their paper every now and again.
AND I agree with everything Peadar has said here

The Owls
10/10/2005, 6:53 PM
I was at the Cyprus game and the fans gave it socks and the team were a disgrace.They didnt deserve support after that performance.I was embarrased going back to the resort.Cypriots were the better team.And as for Don Given the man has to go.I met a few of the under 21s on friday night i wont mention names but they have no respect for him at all.Why should they with the team they have they got 5 points and a brutal display on friday.The players i talked to were apologetic to us.

dfx-
10/10/2005, 8:12 PM
At the end of the day it matters **** all how we performed if we do the biz on wednesday ...

:rolleyes: I'll think you'll find it does.:cool:

thejollyrodger
10/10/2005, 8:16 PM
While I watched the cyprus game saturday night sober. I laughed and laughed at times watching us defend. It was slap stick comedy, I couldnt help but laugh even with the seriousness of the situation.

I read this this morning and couldnt help but laugh either.

Had this game not been played in a decent stadium under the auspices of the World Cup qualifying programme it might have enlivened a Sunday morning in the Phoenix Park. We might have paused and watched for a while, grinning at the comic ineptitude of the defending. Then we would have walked on to see what was happening elsewhere. http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2005/1010/2840029249SPS1SOCTOMM.html

Junior
10/10/2005, 10:10 PM

Yeah its dead right there was plenty of celtic jerseys in the crowd. No disgrace though.

Actually if I could impose some sort restriction on what supporters could follow Ireland, it would be that ****s with anti celtic agendas, who insist on telling fans what they can and can't wear did not attend ireland matches or post the same onld ****e time and time again on footie forums.

highlight100
10/10/2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah its dead right there was plenty of celtic jerseys in the crowd. No disgrace though.

Actually if I could impose some sort restriction on what supporters could follow Ireland, it would be that ****s with anti celtic agendas, who insist on telling fans what they can and can't wear did not attend ireland matches or post the same onld ****e time and time again on footie forums.
Well now homer,we all know Celtic are a Scottish team-not Irish,Norwich wear green also and there wer'nt many of those about! sadly FOR YOU it was an IRELAND MATCH,Celtic are Scottish,DOH!!

tayto repairman
11/10/2005, 7:06 AM
some of you people baffle me.

who do you lot think we are? we are a tiny nation of 4 million people with a crap league (fai) and you expect us to qualify for world cups, euro cup, and so on...

jesus, you should be happy we can even put a team together in the first place.

btw. anyone slagging of the irish fans at the cyprus game is a complete idiot.

Drumcondra Red
11/10/2005, 7:59 AM
some of you people baffle me.

who do you lot think we are? we are a tiny nation of 4 million people with a crap league (fai) and you expect us to qualify for world cups, euro cup, and so on...

jesus, you should be happy we can even put a team together in the first place.

btw. anyone slagging of the irish fans at the cyprus game is a complete idiot.

Crap league??? FAI league, is it??? Hmmm you know a lot, don't you???

Its that sort of attitude and the rose tinted glasses wearing, diddly, sure we're only here for the craic mentality that has turned a lot of people against the national team!

zinedineontour
11/10/2005, 8:36 AM
:rolleyes: I'll think you'll find it does.:cool:

I think youll find that 3 points is all that counts at this stage ... We would all love to play great but **** it we won we can disect what happened in cyprus after tmow night ..

Tired&Emotional
11/10/2005, 9:20 AM
Exactly - we're we shocking against Cyprus but 3 pts. against the Swiss would be super......for now! Kerr AND the players then have 8/9 mths of friendlys etc to prepare......(though in all honesty, not sure what I'd expect)...

horney
11/10/2005, 10:12 AM
i know 7 people who went over to the game who have never stepped foot inside of landsdown road let alone watched a game on the telly,

so i wasnt surprised about the lack of signing, i think a number of people used the game as an excuse for holiday

ive never been at a game with so many kiss me arse supporters
they wouldnt sing and when we sang the mugga haddeen some muppets told us to shut it ..........muppets not going to any sunshine resorts again ill go to games with 500 supporters ......real fans

Cowboy
11/10/2005, 10:58 AM
ive never been at a game with so many kiss me arse supporters
they wouldnt sing and when we sang the mugga haddeen some muppets told us to shut it ..........muppets not going to any sunshine resorts again ill go to games with 500 supporters ......real fans

were you guys down the front with Mr. Arnold? Think I saw you telling that muppet to shut up

pineapple stu
11/10/2005, 12:27 PM
they wouldnt sing and when we sang the mugga haddeen some muppets told us to shut it
I take it that was you beside me then?

Think I saw you telling that muppet to shut up
If it's the same incident as above, that was me giving out sh!te. He was lucky he didn't get slapped about...I think I should thank those who restrained me...!:)

To fill others in - about 20 of us were trying to get a bit of singing going when some ar$ehole in the next block (not as if we were blocking his view or anything) turns around and says "Will you shut the **** up", to a murmured consensus from a couple of others. I lost the rag a bit - obviously we didn't shut up, even started singing "Sh!t team Sh!t fans", and not at the opposition:mad: . At half-time, I had words again, but his sole response was "Shut up you *****", while some other gombeen started asking if my daddy paid for the trip (because I had the UCD scarf on) and started going through the usual UCD-taxpaying stuff (I'm a qualified accountant...). Got restrained again here as well.

The Ireland fans, by and large, were a disgrace. There were pockets of people willing to make an effort - and fair dues - but the ground was hopping before the match, yet when the teams come out, everyone sits down! There are far too many people who are happy to sit down and enjoy a leisurely game of football at these games. They don't mind the build-up, but once the game starts, they get on their moral high horses and give out to anyone and everyone. There were 11,000 Irish in the ground and hardly a tap. Utter disgrace.

Cowboy
11/10/2005, 1:17 PM
I dont get why they were telling you to shut up?

OwlsFan
11/10/2005, 1:34 PM
It's very Irish for you to be having a go at those of us who actually made the effort to be at the game. :rolleyes:

As you can see from the post but one above, my comments were correct. Too many Irish fans (not all by any means) are now event junkies who think their mere presence at a game is "support". The noise that came over from the Irish fans at the Cyprus game matched the performance on the pitch.

The chant I like best is "Stand up for the Boys in Green" because the muppets who are sitting on their fat a*ses expecting to be entertained and have an atmosphere created by those around them, have to get up from their seat if they want to see the game :D. I have one of them sitting every match at Lansdowne right in front of me. Never joins in a chant, never applauds a good move and the only time he speaks is to give Kilbane a rollicking if he makes a mistake. I expect to see a lot of his type on Wednesday.

pineapple stu
11/10/2005, 1:38 PM
I dont get why they were telling you to shut up?
Probably wanted to listen to the match.:rolleyes: :)

It's a pity the seating arrangements weren't adhered to, as I'd have taken his seat number and tried my best to ensure he never got a ticket for a game again.

dynamo kerry
11/10/2005, 1:45 PM
by the way

celtic jerseys: if you think the lads wearing them cos they happen to be green then you're having a laugh- they believe that supporting celtic is as important and very much the same as supporting ireland. this is the issue some of us have.

celtic are a crackin club but I object to people saying that irish people must support them if any scottish club. I'm quite fond of hearts myself/ :cool:

as for the comment that the "fai league is crap" - I can only laugh. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish the irish national side can only be made up of home based players. it would certainly give a few daytrippers a shock

as for the fans in cyprus - if you're going to go.. go and sing dammit. and if someone is singing don't tell them to stop ffs- I'm with pstu on this one

Cowboy
11/10/2005, 1:52 PM
celtic are a crackin club but I object to people saying that irish people must support them if any scottish club. I'm quite fond of hearts myself/ :cool:

when did anyone say that? At least five mates I know who regularly go to Ireland games home and away are rangers fans.

dynamo kerry
11/10/2005, 1:56 PM
when did anyone say that? At least five mates I know who regularly go to Ireland games home and away are rangers fans.

it's part of the fundamental reasoning of some irish celtic fans. I'm not going to get into it too much as it's off topic - the statement that lads only wear celtic tops to ireland games because they are green is a nonsense statement. I'll be happy to debate the topic on pms as I'm not going to drag this thread into it.

how was the beer in cyprus?

Cowboy
11/10/2005, 2:01 PM
it's part of the fundamental reasoning of some irish celtic fans. I'm not going to get into it too much as it's off topic - the statement that lads only wear celtic tops to ireland games because they are green is a nonsense statement. I'll be happy to debate the topic on pms as I'm not going to drag this thread into it.

how was the beer in cyprus?

Perhaps it is but I've never heard anyone say its mandatory to support Celtic if you are Irish. Anyway the local Keo beer was pretty good although I switch to Bacardi pretty early on :)